The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic Thread

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
A Brony Tale Theater Listings have been announced!

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/06/a-br...nd-release.html

Looks like I'll have to watch it when someone puts it up on one of the many video sites out there.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I wonder if anyone's seen the season 5 preview.  It as interesting.  Seems to be part of the first episode I'd guess.

funny picture.  I bet things will get very messy once that bubble pops.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Looks like that was an interesting chat.  Reminds me of the Bronyshow chats.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Nice picture, thanks for sharing.  Nice & large, may make good wallpaper.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I hope a number of you in the US have at least one of the next 3 weekends opened for the new movie, Rainbow Rocks.  I've done everything I can to avoid spoilers so I don't ruin my opinion when I officially see it myself. :)

For those wondering when it's available to see in theaters in the state where you live, here are the official listings.

http://www.screenvision.com/cinema-events/...-rainbow-rocks/

Let's hope it's as good as the EQG Shorts that have been popping up.

See ya later! :wave

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I did start watching the MLP series this August and I must say that I changed my opinion with regard to being totally not interested in the franchise which I stated several times before.
It was true then and my disinterest had then been based partly on me having watched two randomly picked episodes which torn out of context (and being rather Pinky Pie respectively cutie mark crusaders focused without the introduction of the characters I would have been given had I just started from the beginning) didn't come across as interesting to me.
However, having started watching the episodes in August (partly because there was just nothing else to do at the time) I must say I'm glad I have. I'm not a Brony nor am I likely to develope the same degree of enthusiasm for the franchise as many of you, but the plots and characters are a lot more interesting than I had (with a degree of bias) expected.
I'll take it as a lecture (letter to Celestia? :p) to give something a bit more of a benefit of doubt and to begin with the beginning rather than some randomly picked episode when making up my opinion about a franchise.
In one respect however I'm glad I didn't change my mind any earlier. I am really enjoying good stories and when I am getting familiar with a new franchise that I like I tend to make up own stories at least for a while after getting to know it and this making up of stories is something I enjoy very much (though it has been a long time since I ever put any of them down on paper). These days it comes as a very welcome distraction at times. For this I'm grateful.

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
Well then Malte279, even if you're not calling yourself a brony, I'll say it:

Welcome to the herd. :D

Actually, I'm not using the word brony for myself as well. I'm just a fan who doesn't need any fancy word for being one, that's all. I'm fan of a lot of stuff, MLP being just one of them.

Anyway...you have any favourite character so far?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Same as with characters from LBT (or most other things in the world for that matter) I have a very hard time to name one favorite thereby demoting all the others. I am not much of a fan of superlatives ;)
I guess from my own attitutes (devouring books and being utterly obsessed with history) I can best relate to Twilight. With regard to social interaction I guess it would depend very much on the situation and the people I'm talking to; if the context was ignored I daresay it would be the oddest imaginable mixture of attitutes of Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash imaginable :lol
I also like Applejack's straightforward manner.
While I may not relate to as much to Pinkie Pie (my own brand of humor tends to be more macabre (and would probably come across as dislikable if there was a character with that kind of humor) while I don't have a very developed "sense of randomness") and Rarity (probably not quite oblivious to taste in fashion but not really giving it much thought) it is not like I disliked them. They do add a lot to the stories where they feature and are often good for a very good laugh.
Apart from the main characters there are also side characters who I would like to see elaborated a little more. Having been banned for 1000 years by her sister is quite something. I would like to see more about the whole background and reintegration of Luna.
I haven't yet seen all episodes however (and am kind of delaying there lest I run out of something new to watch too soon). I think I got to episode 74 so far.

Do you have favorite characters?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay Malte, I really want to know where you stand on one certain issue that I know the whole fandom is split on. (Even a number of the haters putting lies and misconceptions on it.) The issue is as follows...

Twilight becoming a princess.  Where do you stand on it?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Can't really claim an opinion on it.
I was mildly surprised when I saw the respective episode, but not much since I recalled having read something refering to it in this very thread at some point.
I was a bit worried that there might be some risk of things getting kitschy and "princessy" (in a world without kings or queens because princess is apparently supposed to sound kinder). However from what I have seen so far (and again I haven't seen all episodes so far) there hasn't been much of a change. Twilight comes with wings now, but I don't recall seeing her fly in any but the first two episodes after she got said wings. It is not like her character changed from it nor did the attitute of the others towards her. In most of the episodes I have seen so far there weren't any really visible changes or responsibility linked to her being a princess (of what exactly?).
With the concerns mentioned above I could imagine some plot lines in which this could be interesting if any actual "duties" linked to the rank of a princess might collide with the interests of friendship.
So basically I don't have an actual pro or con opinion based on what I have seen so far. Up to what I have seen so far the changes didn't really manifest into much and I can understand both, those who would want to see more actual consequences of that development and those who see the risk of such a change messing up the setting they / we are accustomed to.
So far the eppisodes seriously haven't given me much to get aggitated about, but same as LBT it remains but a franchise of enjoyable stories. While I may have strong opinions on some matters related to movies (cough... LBT 10 cough) I wouldn't mind the opinions of other differing from mine. I'm pretty sure that there would be some letters to Celestia that would discredit the attitutes of any fans of the franchise who were attacking either fans of different opinions, or people who didn't like the franchise altogether.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I saw the movie Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks today.  How was it?  Let me put it this way...

If the original Equestria Girls movie is the good version of all three High School Musical movies, Rainbow Rocks is an awesome version of a sequel to it.  So yes, I very much enjoyed it.

Oh, and if you're wondering how they did with Sunset Shimmer, just know that the entire school has yet to let go of what she did last time.  Yeah, pretty much no one has forgiven her at that school. (Save, of course, for the human counterparts of Twilight's friends.)

Oh, and yes, Twilight and the human version of Flash Sentry still have feelings for each other.  I really don't think it's going away anytime soon.

Anyways, go and see this.  You won't regret it.  Plus, stay for after the credits.  There's a little surprise for everyone. ;)

See ya later! :wave

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've heard some that have seen it that they did enjoy it.   I've not seen it myself.  I wonder if they may develop a romance in season 5 with the MLP Flash Sentry.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
What is your own view on the matter you asked about John?
Do you (everyone) have favorite characters or plot lines you would want to see explored more?