The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Testing Windows 7 Beta

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jan 15 2009 on  04:18 PM
MS does say that they recommend putting Windows 7 on a separate computer and don't recommend a dual boot.  They have no warranty or support for their Beta version of Windows 7.
Indeed. So would a separate hard drive be enough of "another computer", or would the other parts still be at risk?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Indeed. So would a separate hard drive be enough of "another computer", or would the other parts still be at risk?

There's always some risk when using Beta software, but MS is mainly just covering their butts so they don't get sued.  Most likely nothing bad will happen.  I'd recommend using a different computer than your main one for the test, but if you don't have another one available, I don't see any difference in risk between dual booting with a single hard drive or with two different hard drives.

Tyrannosaur

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
another hard drive for the install of Windows 7 would be fine. since it would be on a different HDD than your main OS, you should be fine as far as files and stuff.

hardware is rarely susceptible to software issues. normally hardware doesnt care one way or the other, it just asks that you have the right drivers to control it :).

im sorting out a separate computer to install 7 on right now. ive heard its awesome. only time will tell xD

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It does seem good from what I've heard.  Hopefully it'll remain good through the beta period and into the release.

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
Hmm. Well what about the eventual uninstall? Didn't you say something about removing all data along with the operating system once the trial period expires? Or is that for a computer using it exclusively, rather than a dual-bootable one?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hmm. Well what about the eventual uninstall? Didn't you say something about removing all data along with the operating system once the trial period expires? Or is that for a computer using it exclusively, rather than a dual-bootable one?

Partitioning your hard drive is like splitting it into two different hard drives.  Once the trial has ended, format the one partition and then join it with the other one.  If you don't know about this, perhaps it's best if you just install it on another computer or on the second hard drive.  If you don't know how to create a new partition, format it, and eventually join it with the rest of the hard drive, then don't even try it.  It's not something that I'd recommend just looking up how to do online then doing it.  

I thought you knew more about computers than you evidently do.  If you know how to install a second slave hard drive then perhaps it's best that you do that.  You obviously aren't experienced in the area of partitioning a hard drive so I wouldn't recommend you do it.  Most people learn about partitioning their hard drives through screwing it up a few times on a spare computer.  Since you'll be using your main one and you don't know as much about partitioning as I thought you did, I think you should just use the slave hard drive.  Better safe than sorry right?

Tyrannosaur

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
either way really. the beta will apparently become inactive around august, so then you would need to either reformat your HDD on a separate PC, or just delete the Windows 7 OS off a partitioned HDD or a system with 2 HDDs set up for dual boot

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jan 15 2009 on  10:28 PM
I thought you knew more about computers than you evidently do.
You have poor judgement <_______<

I have brothers, they know some stuff. They'd be helping me on this. I don't particularly trust them to create a partition, but installing a secondary hard drive shouldn't be a problem.

Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jan 15 2009 on  10:28 PM
Better safe than sorry right?
That would be the reason for all these questions, yes.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Just install the second hard drive if you're not up to tackling the partition and boot record problems that will arise when it expires.

If you want to do it the easy way (well easy in my opinion anyways 'cuz ya don't have to take the case off), then deal with the partitioning software.

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
I'm running out of hard drive space anyway, so a new drive is not optional. And as long as I have a secondary drive, I might as well put it to use.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Lol ok..

Mom told me that daniel ( :lol) said that windows 7 sucks... From what I've seen I'm not going to agree with him :p He didnt have any fair arguments either so.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You know what?  Come to think of it, all this time that I've had my new hard drive, I still have the old one in my computer.  It's just been disconnected since I got the new one, that's all.  Maybe I should test it on that one.  After all, I don't need to worry about losing stuff on the old one.  It's already on the new one anyways.

Okay, maybe I will go to the server and download a copy after all.

EDIT: WTF?  1 day and 20 hours it'll take to download!?  Is that right?

EDIT 2: Nevermind!  Getting faster now. :)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
EDIT: WTF? 1 day and 20 hours it'll take to download!? Is that right?

EDIT 2: Nevermind! Getting faster now.

Yeah sorry about that.  My server lags sometimes when you first start downloading from it.  Either that or someone else was downloading it at the same time you were. :p

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Jan 15 2009 on  11:51 PM
WTF? 1 day and 20 hours it'll take to download!? Is that right?
Ah, so it wasn't just my internet :D

I had trouble downloading it too. It started downloading it at 33 KB/s. I thought something was wrong, so I restarted the download. It jumped to 200 KB/s. For about 20 minutes. Then back down to about 30. I sighed, and just let it go from there. 10 minutes later, it jumped to 1.5 MB/s, and the download finished about 20-30 minutes later.

Just let it keep going, it'll probably pick up at some point.

EDIT: Wait, are you talking about downloading from Microsoft.com, or from Austin's website?

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, I've been experiencing some new issues.  1gb of ram really isn't enough to run it decently when you've got other programs such as Photoshop and such.  Though 1gb isn't enough with XP either if you run the programs I do. :p

I've been getting out of memory messages when working with photoshop and firefox.  The memory errors don't occur unless I've got a couple of external hard drives, my cell phone, and a few other devices plugged in though so it might just be a glitch with Windows 7 itself.  

And I can't play a video in VLC from an external device such as a flash drive or external hard drive.  It gives me an out of memory error and crashes.  I've added 2gb to the computer to boost it up to 3gb and the error still occurs, so I think it's a glitch with Windows 7.  I've sent a lengthy and detailed report to Microsoft about the issue.

EDIT: And I've taken the extra 2gb of ram out so now I'm back to 1gb.  I want to test the thing with the minimum ram requirement since ram is such a big issue for me.

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
Okay, so I've got another hard drive. For moving my data from the old one to the new one, my brother recommends using a drive cloning program.

1. Is this indeed the way to go?

2a. If yes, any recommendations in the way of which program to use?
2b. If no, what should I do?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
1. Is this indeed the way to go?

2a. If yes, any recommendations in the way of which program to use?
2b. If no, what should I do?

First off, I would NEVER recommend using a drive cloning program unless absolutely necessary.  You should set up the new HD, format it, and put XP on it.  Then you can put in the old drive as a slave and transfer any data you want to the new drive.  If you don't own an external hard drive, this is the point in your life when you wish you had one most.  External hard drives are essential when it comes to data transfer and data backup.

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
Okay. One more question, just for reassurance: my copy of XP is a reinstall CD that came with my computer (Dell Dimension E521). This won't cause me any trouble, will it?

kanganix

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • My FurAffinity
how is the beta testing of the windows 7 guys :confused ?