The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

I need the aid of a classical(?) music connoisseur

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Can someone tell me what the real name of this MIDI file is? I've heard it on a cell phone as a ring tone, so I know it must be fairly famous.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Hmm...sounds like it could pass for a polka or something.  I don't know of any classical pieces that upbeat (almost like a march) save for the William Tell Overture, which this is not.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hence the question mark in the topic title. It sounded more like classical music than any other genre I was aware of, but now that you mention it, it does sound like polka.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
I've a bunch of polkas on my computer (my ancestry is either 100% polish or close to it).  Maybe I'll find a match if I have any spare time. ;)  I'll keep my ears peeled, but yeah, that's not how most classical pieces go.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I have a random stockpile of classical music MIDIs, so I just assumed it was one of them. :)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
With 80% confidence, I can assure you it isn't classical.  Not that classical pieces can't be upbeat or have an upbeat waltz rhythm to them, but its unlikely to match what you gave me.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The MIDI contains the following text data which may be useful:

International Six
Copyright © 1995 Corel Corporation Limited. All Rights Reserved
Oktoberfest 1:02

Perhaps it was played at Oktoberfest in 1995.  Still doesn't help with a title though...unless "International Six" is the title...
Petrie's right - It's nothing to do with classical music to speak of.  It sounds like a polka to me.  I think Oktoberfest is definitely in the right direction.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
So, we've got the information action9000 posted, plus the fact that, as you all have probably figured out by now, it was a MIDI from Corel Word Perfect 6 Suite (or something similar to that). I also heard it as a ring-tone on a cell phone that's probably hundreds or thousands of miles away by now. International Six and Oktoberfest... what could it mean?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Maybe this will help:

http://www.amazon.com/Music-Oktoberfest-Ba...d/dp/B000005Z9Y

Released only a couple of years after the date on the midi file.  The clips don't tell much.

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de
Mayby I could help, cause, I know this song from my grandpa. He is a fan of such music^^. I tell you when I get the name

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nimrod,Oct 30 2007 on  10:19 AM
Mayby I could help, cause, I know this song from my grandpa. He is a fan of such music^^. I tell you when I get the name
When will you be able to see him?

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de
the next time, I hope so. He isn¥t always on at scype. But when I see him, I promise you I¥ll ask him.