The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Song Club

Petrie. · 12 · 1467

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I'm willing to give this a try.  What I want to set up here is a song club...sort of like a book club where people would share a book and describe why they like it and would recommend someone else to read it.  In this case, we would share a song and describe why we like it, listen to it often, etc.  In the case of legality, quality will be seriously subsidized, and the files must expire.

Here's what I propose:

- weekly or bi-weekly (so you share a new song every week or two weeks)
- songs must be in mp3 or wma format for compatability (no aac, vorbis, musepack) at a bitrate between 32-80kbps
- links to the song must expire when the week is over and a new one starts (this would work perfectly with yousendit's 7-day policy and a weekly song club otherwise you have to delete the file yourself)
- optional links to places to buy a cd or official copy, cover art, etc.

If you would like to test these settings there are many ways to get a song in the required bitrate range.  The easiest is to go CBR 32, 56, 64, 80.  If you want VBR encodings for mp3, LAME's -V8 or -V9 switch will work perfectly.  For WMA VBR, q 10 or 25 will get bitrates in this range.

Thoughts?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
10 views, no replies.  The only ones who would open are those mildly interested.  Is it too much work, or am I too strict with limitations?  Other factors (internet upload speeds, etc.)?

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
The restrictions don't seem too strict to me. What do we do here, anyway? Upload a low-bitrate MP3 song, discuss why we like it with others, and then, trash it after a week?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I actually like this.  It could be a way to expose ourselves and others to new music.  I'm all for it. :)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Quote from: Manny Cav,Dec 14 2007 on  09:59 AM
The restrictions don't seem too strict to me. What do we do here, anyway? Upload a low-bitrate MP3 song, discuss why we like it with others, and then, trash it after a week?
Yes, that's the gist of it.  How is a book club any different?  You share the book with others, explain it, and if you personally like it, you go and get a good copy (your own).  A song is much much shorter than a book so a week is long enough.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
If anyone here knows how to make an A2B music file, that would be a big help.  Then we could listen to full quality songs legally.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
I've never even heard of that format....probably even less can actually play it.

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php
could I upload a youtube file so there's no DLing? I hate fighting with loading sites

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I've never even heard of that format
That makes two of us :p
with youtube, I need to convert every song into a video, don't I?  That takes more work than relying on Driveway or such service, in my mind. :P:

I'll probably just stick with uploading 64kb/s mp3s that expire after a certain length of time, if that's okay.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Your post should go on Song Club Week 1 tails. ;)