The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

How Much RAM Do You Need?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I can barely live with 3gb of ram.  Since it's so cheap to upgrade, I'm going all 8gb from now on.  How much ram do you need to get by?

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I don't demand an overly large amount from my computer, but I've that 2GB just dosent cut it anymore.  I have a desktop with 3GB and a Laptop with 4GB.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
For many years, I've lived with less than 100 MB of RAM, and as of recently, I've been living with 1 GB of RAM. It's not so bad. But I would like to get more RAM whenever possible. 2 GB of RAM would be nice. I don't really do much of anything that would need a ton of RAM. 8 GB of RAM is excessive and not really a true requirement, as far as I'm concerned.

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well... I have a 1.5 GB of RAM and for the most of the time that is pretty enough for me. :)
Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And a driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Watership Down by Richard Adams.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
This computer as 2GB and it is enough for me.  Some things I use have less ram then that do and do the things I use them for very well.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
8 GB of RAM is excessive and not really a true requirement, as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, I need 8gb because I do a lot of video editing in Adobe Premier and I also like to work in Photoshop.  My ram can max out on my laptop with 3gb of ram just by doing Photoshop.  Now Adobe Premier....that thing EATS ram for breakfast!  If I were to go all out I'm sure I could eat all 8gb even if that was the only program open.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I've got 4 GB of DDR RAM, but after doing some calculations, I found that I can get by quite nicely with only 2 GB.

Of course, speed is all too important to me.  Vista would kill my RAM.  As such, I'm sticking with my XP Lite SP3 until Windows 7 comes out. ;)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I have 4GB (DDR2) in my computer but only because I used to have 8GB, half of it died and I haven't been willing to buy more, even though I could get it for around $40 or $50. :p  That's $50 I'll spend later, not now! :p

Now Adobe Premier....that thing EATS ram for breakfast! If I were to go all out I'm sure I could eat all 8gb even if that was the only program open.
Haha, I hear that!
Honestly, with everything I do, I really like having 8+ GB installed.  I voted both "8GB" and "more than 8GB" because I'd like more but my motherboard only holds 8GB. :p  I can fill 4GB wicked-fast and 8GB is a minimum for working really effectively for my stuff.  Anyone who remembers that hockey theme/anthem I posted up here last September..that used about 5.5GB of RAM when I was working on it. :lol Would have been in a bit of trouble if my 4GB of RAM died before I finished that! :p

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I've yet to run out of ram...at 2gb.  The laptop I had before this one had 512mb and I made it work.

Tyrannosaur

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
i dont really do anything mad with my computer. i have 2GB and its been fine, never maxed it out, but im gonna be upgrading to 3GB soon, as i now have Win7 and its more of a memory hogger than XP.