The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

duckys dad and ceras mum/sisters

guidolover

• Chomper
    • View Profile
who ever has seen the original lbt might remember that cera had sisters and a mum and ducky had a dad ....... where are they ? Prehaps ceras parents broke up but what about duckys dad ?????? :blink:  :unsure:  :bang

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Ducky's dad is alive and well. We see him in LBT 2 and 5. The fate of Cera's mum and sisters is less clear. The threehorns at the end of LBT 1, the little threehorns with Cera at the end of LBT 2 and Dinah and Dana from LBT 6 all brought confusion into this matter, not being sufficient evidence by themselves alone for anything. Though, since LBT 12 came out, when Toppsy had a child with Tria, we can be relatively sure that Cera's mum and sisters never reached the Great Valley.
Also check out this topic for a discussion on Cera's mum and sisters and
this topic for Ducky's dad.

Bruton the Iguanodon

I'm really angry at Bluth for not having Cera's mom and sister reach the great valley (it clashed with the othersie overly happy ending) and not even giving Cera any time to grive them, nor even so much as mentioning them ever again--they don't even mention Mama Topps in LBT 11 when Topps falls in love with Tria. As for Ducky's dad, I don't understand why he was brother chucked. I'd like to know the fate of Spike's parents too. But what really bugs me is this: where is Petrie's dad?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
As I already stated before in another topic, they may have indeed reached the Great Valley; just because you don't see them in the ending doesn't mean they aren't there. And even if it was decided they wouldn't reach, keep in mind that this movie had more than on director; Don Bluth didn't make all the decisions and didn't have 100% control over the movie.

Now as for why we don't hear them being spoken of in the sequels, personally I think this decision was made to cut back on characters. From the first movie, other than Cera, Topsy's the only threehorn that gets a speaking role. Some of his personality is shown (he's racist, but still loving towards his daughters).

But Cera's mother and sisters were treated more like just extras. They're almost never seen and we don't have any clues on what their personalities or characteristics were like. So when a sequel was made, the new director (Don Bluth had nothing to do with the sequels) may have decided not to have the mother and other siblings in the movie because of this.

You could argue that Littlefoot's grandparents didn't speak much or appear much in the movie. But there is a key difference here. Littlefoot had been orphaned, his mother killed by a sharptooth. It would have been a strange move to have him suddenly live on his own despite reuniting with his grandparents. Universal had to give LF some kind of parental care, so that may be why his grandparents were brought over to the sequels.

As for the other parent characters, again I think this also applies. They can't have the characters be orphans, so they bring over the parents. Ducky's father might have been dropped (most of the time) so that focus doesn't get too stretched. When you have so many characters, it's hard to pay special attention to them individually. Ducky's father, as the movies suggest, is still there, but is absent most of the time due to directoral decisions most likely, to keep things simple.

If I were to offer an in movie explanation, it would be that maybe the males of Ducky's species don't stick with the family that long, and that most of the parental care is the mother's responsibility. The males might wander off, maybe patrol the area for threats or something, but if their mates or children really do need their help, they'll come back.

I can't think of much else to say at the moment.

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, this is only speculation (duh), but in the case of Cera's family (aside from her dad), when the Earthshake hits we see Longnecks and Threehorn(like) individuals fall into a newly formed ravine. Later we see that same ravin with Cera, her parents and LF's grandparents. Inspection reveals that the individuals who took a dive were about her size: hatchlings... Perhaps her sisters?

Not to mention one of the first lines is: "Predators waiting to seize any that strayed" (or something like that.) A grieving mother, who just lost all of her children surely won't be paying attention to where she is going... And by the time of the Flashback in 7, she is gone... Unfortunate Sharptooth-encounter?

As for Ducky's father, I do believe someone once told me that they cut his time to reduce reminders of the father of Ducky's first VA, who... well, we all know that story :(

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, this is only speculation (duh), but in the case of Cera's family (aside from her dad), when the Earthshake hits we see Longnecks and Threehorn(like) individuals fall into a newly formed ravine. Later we see that same ravin with Cera, her parents and LF's grandparents. Inspection reveals that the individuals who took a dive were about her size: hatchlings... Perhaps her sisters?
Good point, I consider it quite possible that they were Cera's sisters. But we'll never know for certain :(
Not to mention one of the first lines is: "Predators waiting to seize any that strayed" (or something like that.) A grieving mother, who just lost all of her children surely won't be paying attention to where she is going... And by the time of the Flashback in 7, she is gone... Unfortunate Sharptooth-encounter?
Quite possible as well. Another possibility would be that she also fell into the ravine or got injured due to the earthshake, after all the earth moved in waves (as when the swimmers were shown running away, they tripped which could lead to injuries like broken bones which was like death penalty for dinosaurs) and rocks went up and down. She might have died due to her injuries or got eaten by a vicious Sharptooth due to the disability to move or fight... who knows.
No one knows what really happened to them so that's left to fanfiction author's ;)

As for Ducky's father, I do believe someone once told me that they cut his time to reduce reminders of the father of Ducky's first VA, who... well, we all know that story sad.gif
Heard of this theory as well... poor thing :cry RIP Judith Barsi :(
I think this is the most likely case, I would've done it the same way.. throwing Ducky's father out of LBT... at least he got no speaking role.
Inactive, probably forever.

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ducky123,Jul 10 2013 on  05:05 AM
Another possibility would be that she also fell into the ravine...
Well, that is unlikely, because both she and her hubby are 'safely' on the other side of the ravine at that particular point in the story. Cera even calls out to both of them, though her 'Daddy!' is much louder (well, now we know who her favorite parent was anyway  :p )

Though she could have fallen in later, I admit :/