The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Top 10 LBT villians

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Bascially list your top ten LBT villians if you have any faves. :)

These are mine. ^^

10. Swimming Sharptooth
9. Thud
8. Sharptooth
7. Sharptooth in LBT 5
6. Ichy
5. Dil
4. Strut
3. Ozzy
2. Rinkus
1. Sierra

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Don't think I can get to ten but here are mine:
1.The Original Sharptooth.
2.Strut.
3.Ozzy.
4.Chomper's parents.
5.The swimming sharptooth.
6.Sierra.
7.Rinkus.
8.Ichy.
9.Dil.
10.The sharpteeth from the third movie.

Edit:Ah, it seems that I was able to get to ten afterall. :lol

Petrie157578641

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/TabalugaDragon
I can't make this top 10 because there were less than 10 villains in LBT
Sharpteeth can't be called villains, because they act only for survival, even Ichy and Dil, they all were led by natural hunger and instinct of survival
as for others I agree and here is my top
1 Rinkus(came up with idea to betray Pterano)
2 Sierra
3 Ozzy
4 Pterano(wanted to rule the Great Valley)
5 Hyp
6 Mutt
7 Nod
8 Strut (Not really a villian, offensive actions were caused by his brother)

Petrie157578641

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: Saft,Jan 28 2010 on  01:36 PM
Don't think I can get to ten but here are mine:

2.Strut.

Wow you really think that nayive Strut is more evil than Rinkus and sierra?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
9 Strut (Not really a villian, offensive actions were caused by his brother)
Generally I tend to agree, but remember that Strut was the one of the two who came up with the idea of murdering Littlefoot by throwing him from the Great Wall.

Petrie157578641

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Jan 29 2010 on  10:46 AM
9 Strut (Not really a villian, offensive actions were caused by his brother)
Generally I tend to agree, but remember that Strut was the one of the two who came up with the idea of murdering Littlefoot by throwing him from the Great Wall.
Well if his brother wouldn't make him hate them, he wouldn't want it, and also he wanted to revenge for all those scratches ge got because of them, and I don't think they would die if they jumped from there, If I remember well, it wasn't too steep

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Far as I know, Ozzy did not make Strut hate Littlefoot. He didn't constantly tell him "hate those children for what they did!". If Strut hated Littlefoot, he would have hated him on his own terms, for his own reasons, not because Ozzy told him to. The only thing Ozzy told him to do was stop eating plants and eat eggs, from what I recall.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
To say that The Original Sharptooth wasn't a villain is a big, fat, ugly lie!

Those who have read the book that goes into deeper detail of this character (*Glances at Malte*) probably understands my philosophy on this one.  Yes, it is probably true that he was hunting for food in the first place, but after what Littlefoot did to him, (Accidentally getting a thorn in his eye.) this monster was then out for cold-blooded revenge.

Littlefoot's Mother than got in the way and took him on, but got killed because she was just simply in the way and preventing him from killing Littlefoot.  Of course, we all know that Sharptooth got knocked off a cliff in the end, but was only stunned from it. (Seriously, how did he survive that one?)

After waking up, Sharptooth hunted them down.  He found the gang in a footprint and went after them.  The end result was getting his nose stuck.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if he planned to head straight to the valley and hide at the entrance just to cut them off and kill them.  However, the gang lured him into a trap and drowned him.  However, does anyone realize how close this one was?  I mean, he actually jumped to the very top of the cliff and landed on rock as an attempt to take them down with him.  Petrie was the one who nearly suffered this fate.

To say that this guy isn't a villain, means that all the other ones who are portrayed as villains in the sequels aren't ones as well.  Sharptooth was THE definition of villain.  He was more of a threat and his intention was to kill them in cold blood.

Seriously, doesn't that sound like a villain to you?  Sure does to me. :)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
To say that The Original Sharptooth wasn't a villain is a big, fat, ugly lie!
No it isn't John. It is an opinion shared by many and with some good points to give substance to it. Don't be so quick to accuse anyone of lying.
Don Bluth for once had serious problems considering Sharptooth a real villain.
In his Toon Talk magazine (volume 2 Nomber 1 of January 2001) Don Bluh devoted an entire article to Sharptooth in which he wrote:
[...]I was never sure what qualified the Rex as a villain. Was he deficient in kindness and mercy? No! Was he evolutionary arrested or retarded? No! Simply put, he was hungry. It is the law of nature to seek out foot to satiate the appetite. So I reasoned, how could I hate the beast for doing what nature instinctively ordained? Just because he was big, growling and hungry didn't make him malevolent. He needed to step outside nature's boundaries to be a bad guy, embrace brutality over compassion, and harbor a vendetta or a grudge that could twist his soul into an unnatural existende. That would be a true villain. Creative ideas are born out of conflict. I wanted a more dimensional bad guy, but I was outnumbered, and finally caved in.
Steven and George, in fact, the whole team, felt that the Rex's teeth did the job. More evil could be over-kill. If something can bite you that's reason enough to fear it. The dinosaur children, simply put, are terrorized by their natural enemy.
Although I knew our story would pack a dramatic wallop to the audience if they could hate Rex, not just fear him, I grea weary of pitching the idea. [...]
In addition to that the entire rear cover of the respective toon talk magazine shows a picture of sharptooth with the line:
Sharp Tooth isn't really bad, he's just been grumpy all his life...
...he'll get over it.
If we accept the need to eat as not sufficient to qualify for being a villain the one point that remains could be Sharptooth's being out for revenge about having an eye scratched (or even loosing it) during the pursuit of Littlefoot through the thorny thicket. There is a book which mentions such a motive . The land before time - the illustrated story" has these passages:

At the very last moment Littlefoot freed himself. One of the hard thorny branches snapped back and hit Sharptooth right in the eye. The monster bellowed in pain and reared back from the brambles. Then, with a terrible fury, he plunged back into the thicket, searching for the puny creature that had dared to injure him.
and
A terrible and familiar roar suddenly shook the air. Through the fog the young travelers saw, to their horror, the huge shape of Sharptooth. and because of Littlefoot's yelling, he saw them too! With another terribly cry, the big beast thundered toward them, his enormous mouth wide open and his one good eye glinting with hatred.
We don't know if any of the Sharptooth scenes that were cut because they were deemed "too scary" included any closer reference about such a revenge motive. Many here however would consider Littlefoot's motive for getting rid of Shartptooth to be primarily revenge (I disagree on that being the prime motive) without thinking of Littlefoot as a "villain" as a consequence.
Because we like the LBT characters and don't want them to be killed and eaten Sharptooth must appear as the "bad one" to us.
We can ask whether or not sharptooth was deliberately pursuing Littlefoot to take revenge for his eye. Maybe he was, but as apparently many herds were headed in the direction of the Great Valley Sharptooth's coming across the group two more times after the earthquake may have been purely coincidental as well.
Either way there are plenty of "revenge stories" in which the "avenging angel" though he or she may not necessarily be a good person does not play the part of the villain either.
It is similar about the LBT one sharptooth. For the characters and the audience who sympathizes with them Sharptooth must appear as the bad one, but if examined for non natural viciousness of any kind there is not much to find that we could hold against him. Like Rooter said "it is nobody's fault". I do not know if that quote was meant to include Sharptooth (probably not judging from the context that Littlefoot had blamed himself and his mother before), but it could just as easily be interpreted to include him.

Petrie157578641

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Wow Malte279 that was some quote to my opinion about sharpteeth  :idea
Oh and I remembered what said Princess of Waterfall city in Dinotopia about T-rexes "They are not evil they are just hungry by nature"If somebody watched Dinotopia will understand
As for Strut DarkHououmon, I'm agree, it's just I liked him the first time I watched LBT 2 eight years ago, he seems so innocent until agreed with Ozzy to push the gang off the wall
Maybe some of us think Characters like Rhet and Shorty could be called villians?
And maybe Topsy?
I think Topsy can be called a villian in some way, because of a huge portion of racism inside, though in later sequels after Tria came he got better about it

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Wow you really think that naive Strut is more evil than Rinkus and Sierra?

Yes I do actually, Strut came up with the plan to kill Littlefoot (it was not Ozzy) and maybe if it was not for Chomper and the timely arrival of Chomper's parents then Littlefoot (and Chomper) may have been killed.  After all, Murder is one of the most evil acts anyone can preform.

However that is just an opinion.  Quite similar to your opinion that Rinkus and Sierra are evil by their betrayal of Pterano.  :)

And maybe Topsy?
I think Topsy can be called a villian in some way, because of a huge portion of racism inside, though in later sequels after Tria came he got better about it

Topsy may be racist but he,  I don't think should be classed as a villain. As racism doesn't tend to make one evil unless one does take it totally out of porpotion (ie:genocide).It just makes one uneduacted and misguided.  As you said Topsy does become much better in the sequels, perhaps it is through a better understanding?

Perhaps the sea monster could also be classed as a villian?

After all he looks the part of a monsterous villain who pursues the gang and Mo to the big water.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes I do actually, Strut came up with the plan to kill Littlefoot (it was not Ozzy) and maybe if it was not for Chomper and the timely arrival of Chomper's parents then Littlefoot (and Chomper) may have been killed.
I think though that at that point Ozzy was determined to kill Littlefoot himself. Strut's suggestion of the method of killing Littlefoot did not spark the general idea. It just showed that Strut was not quite as innocent as he had appeared so far making him just a little more active (rather than his brothers reluctant follower only) in that scene.
Perhaps the sea monster could also be classed as a villian?
The swimming sharptooth from LBT 9 has been in my opinion the most impressive sharptooth we got to see since the one in the original movie. But same as that one it was mostly the call of nature the Swimming sharptooth of LBT 9 was following. Any other motive can hardly be attributed to the swimming sharptooth not only for lack of a different motive, but also for the fact that this swimming sharptooth abandoned any search for for when realizing that the ocean was nearby.

On a totally different note, one of the things I that I found disappointing about LBT 9 was that they just didn't show anything of Mo and the swimming sharptooth after it was clear that they were trapped together in the small pond in the Great Valley. Also they must have been locked up there together for quite a while (for as long as it took Littlefoot to tell the grownups about Mo). In all that time between the first escape from the swimming sharptooth until meeting Mo again after the earthquake there was NOTHING at all to suggest that Littlefoot or any of the others worried about Mo or the general presence of that huge swimming sharptooth. I think they would have done a lot better if they had included a chase scene there in which Mo lured the sharptooth into the underwater cave where that sharptooth caused the rockslide with a gap small enough for Mo to get out but not for the sharptooth. That would have made a lot more sense than the sharptooth's conveniently swimming into that cave to be conveniently trapped there by the earthquake while nobody seems to feel in any way inconvenient about that sharptooth until the earthquake solved the matter temporarily.

Petrie157578641

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Wow you really think that naive Strut is more evil than Rinkus and Sierra?

Yes I do actually, Strut came up with the plan to kill Littlefoot (it was not Ozzy) and maybe if it was not for Chomper and the timely arrival of Chomper's parents then Littlefoot (and Chomper) may have been killed. After all, Murder is one of the most evil acts anyone can preform.
However that is just an opinion. Quite similar to your opinion that Rinkus and Sierra are evil by their betrayal of Pterano. :)
Actually his evil brother Ozzy pushed him him to all these actions, I don't think Strut wanted to kill the gang, just to feel the same pain he did when he fel
As for Rinkus and Sierra, in case if you don't remember, Sierra was very cruel by himself and Rinkus suggested to threaten to kill Littlefoot to make him tell the trio where is the Stone of Cold Fire,

but Pterano stopped him, if it was only up to Rinkus and Sierra I'm sure someone of the gang could die of their cruelty, this is why I am sure they are the top villians in LBT

Topsy may be racist but he, I don't think should be classed as a villain. As racism doesn't tend to make one evil unless one does take it totally out of porpotion (ie:genocide)
Actually he almost killed Littlefoot by his racism, by sending off Doc, if Doс listened to Cera's dad Litlefoot would be killed by hurricane

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Actually he almost killed Littlefoot by his racism, by sending off Doc, if Doс listened to Cera's dad Litlefoot would be killed by hurricane
Now if we are to label anyone a villain the unforseeable consequences of his or her actions we will end with a rather villainous world. Is Littlefoot is a villain for his LBT 11 lie and for every action of his that almost got someone killed, same goes for Cera in many cases (e.g. for speaking up to pursue the eggeaters themselves which could have get them killed), Petrie would be evil for telling Pterano about where the stone of cold fire, Ducky would be an incarnation of evil for wandering of alone in LBT 8 to get Spike back (thereby making the others risk their lives when they followed her), and Spike would be evil for deciding to go with the Spiketails in the first place thereby making everyone go after him.
Vicious world! Darth Vader everywhere :cry
Whether or not the consequences are really foreseeable does make a difference I think.

Petrie157578641

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Malte279 But other characters didn't offend others constantly as Mr Threehorn did, we all make mistakes sometimes and it doesn't make us bad.
Topsy was mean almost all the time until Tria came

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm sorry, but regardless of what ANYONE (Even Don Bluth) says, I just can't see Sharptooth as not being a villain.  His actions in the movie just don't seem like an "instinct of nature" to me.

I'm terribly sorry, but to me, he is a villain.  Bottom line. -_-

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Jan 30 2010 on  10:05 AM
I'm sorry, but regardless of what ANYONE (Even Don Bluth) says, I just can't see Sharptooth as not being a villain. His actions in the movie just don't seem like an "instinct of nature" to me.

I'm terribly sorry, but to me, he is a villain. Bottom line. -_-
What actions in the movie did Sharptooth do that were not an act of instinct that make you so sure that Sharptooth wasn't a villain?

Killing Littlefoot's mother is an act of instinct. He's a predator; that's what predators do to survive. This action wasn't out of spite nor was it act of vengeance on Sharptooth's part.

Attacking Littlefoot and his friends is also an act of instinct. Again he's a predator. And there's not as many dinos around (due to the land now being barren) so it could be that, when Littlefoot and the others ran into him again, he was starving to the point where he was desperate for anything, even something as small as the children dinosaurs.

True, he could have been out to avenge his eye, although there isn't as strong of evidence in the movie for this. But even so, avenging an eye is not a strong qualification of a villain, in my opinion. Yes, it does make Sharptooth seem more heinous, trying to kill Littlefoot for something that was a mistake, but that doesn't necessarily make Sharptooth some grand villain.

In the end, the only action that Sharptooth does that could make him some kinda villain, that would might have been "out of nature", is him avenging his eye, which we don't know was even a strong motivation in the movie. It may have been a bit stronger in the book, but in the movie there isn't much of a hint that Sharptooth wants revenge on Littlefoot. And even if he did, how long did this vendetta last? Can we be certain that Sharptooth was so evil that he would continue to hold a vendetta against Littlefoot?

Anyway, here's my list of top 10 LBT antagonists:

10. Chomper's parents
9. Swimming Sharptooth from LBT 11
8. Dil and Ichy
7. Hyp, Nod, and Mutt
6. Pterano
5. Strut
4. Sierra
3. Rinkus
2. Ozzy
1. The Original Sharptooth

Keep in mind that though antagonists are the opposing force or a opposing force in a story, they do not always have to be evil. They don't even have to be alive; tornadoes and earthquakes can qualify as antagonists, for example.

I chose the original Sharptooth as 1 not because I consider him the baddest villain, but the scariest antagonist.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
You know, I never thought of Pterano as a villain, an anti-hero definitely, but no...not a villain, he redeemed himself in the end and saved Ducky.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
That's why I said antagonist, not villain. The difference between the two is that, while villains tend to be evil, antagonists don't have to be. An antagonist can actually be a really sweet, kind-hearted character. Like villains they are the opposing force to the main character(s) (which Pterano was in LBT 7, along with Rinkus and Sierra), but unlike villains they aren't always so mean and nasty (such as Pterano).