The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Character Interactions You’d Like to See

DaveTheAnalyzer

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://davetheanalyzer.dreamwidth.org
I don’t know if his vocabulary indicates his level of knowledge either way, but he can be trusting and innocent, qualities he does share with Chomper. I do see the believer point. The Bright Circle Celebration does show he’s the kind of person who celebrates a holiday because he does believe the story around it (Whereas Mr. Threehorn disbelieves, and Tria just think it’s a good opportunity for family and community time). I didn’t find all of Petrie’s fears realistic ones either – the various times he believes in bad luck, among other incidents (Alright, the belief in bad luck mightn’t be too farfetched in-universe ;]).

I didn’t admittedly consider Chomper paranoid fears in the TV series to be farfetched to his character in his two movie appearances. I guess I surmised he might have developed some fears as he grew older (Well, grow older by kids cartoon show standards) as many of us do and I kind of felt we only saw a small slice of his life in movie 5.

As for movie 14, the extent of Chomper and Petrie’s interactions were at the end, where Petrie asks why he and Ruby came, Chomper said they came to rescue the gang, and Petrie thanks them but proudly states that instead they do rescuing (of Bron). Chomper and Ruby are surprisingly chill about not being asked to come along. (I watch the movie on US Netflix. As for the TV series…there are other ways. >.>)

Moving onto other interactions…one I’d be interested in seeing more of is that between Cera and Hyp. I know in Hyp’s two appearances, he was often paired up with Littlefoot, but I was intrigued by the blinks of interaction between Hyp and Cera. When Cera demands he give their ball back in Hyp’s posse’s first appearance, she growls at him and he growls back. In some ways, they are foils to each other, which is made explicit with their fathers. Cera didn’t have much fondness for Hyp and his friends for understandable reasons but as the latter improve themselves, I can see her warming to him slightly.

Though the pair might still find each other annoying. Even if Hyp moves away from being a bully, he’d likely still get into trouble and be a wise-butt, and that’d annoy Cera. Hyp might find Cera a pain because she can match (or maybe even surpass him) in the snark territory and wouldn’t hesitate to point out anything weird or absurd they might be doing. Nevertheless, I can see the pair coming to enjoy the battle of snark and insults that happens when they are in hailing range and that becomes how they express a sort-of affection for each other. When either of them need assistance, especially with family matters, they could either be blunt and direct in telling the other to get ahold of themselves or more gently suggest how to pull themselves out of a problem.

So basically, they could have a scrappy yet affectionate sort of friendship. I can picture Cera saying “He’s like the big brother I’m glad I never had” and Hyp clapping a hand on her before saying, “She’s like the little sister that makes me glad my parents stopped at me.” Then she’d throw his hand off. An amusing and often roughhousingy kind of friendship. When Cera is bigger than him and he’s being annoying, I can see her (gently) stepping on top of him, either saying some variation of “Did you hear something” or “Pardon him, he needs a bit of rough treatment to shut his mouth.” Complete with her occasionally turning up the pressure to elicit some amusing “oophs” out of him. And Hyp might retaliate or induce being stepped by climbing over her and using her horns as a resting place. They would be careful not to really hurt each other but they’d annoy and rough one another up as one way to express affection and it’d be all in good fun.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm not sure if Petrie and Chomper's fears can exactly be compared to each other. Petrie seems to believe in supernatural dangers and rewards whereas Chomper seems to simply fear for the worst in the future. For example, in the Lone Dinosaur Returns Chomper knew Doc was coming but his mind twisted it to a wrong direction. Petrie's fear of bad luck and Bright Circle's revenge are completely superstitious. However, the two might help (or even worsen :lol) each other's insecurities, even if their sources differ.

And I've got a feeling I've heard of a similar relationship to the one you described in the latter part of your post, namely the one between Cera and Taunt in the Hunters-series. However, I'm not sure if Hyp and Cera would be able to form a good relationship. After all, even if Hyp has somewhat reformed his character, he still is a rough and often unlikable character that probably wouldn't appeal to Cera for long. It's possible that the two might be able to reconcile their characters but as opposed to Taunt, Hyp seems to be willing to be the clear leader among his friends which might bring about a conflict between the duo's egos eventually. :p

DaveTheAnalyzer

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://davetheanalyzer.dreamwidth.org
Yeah, it does seem like different kinds of paranoia. Though Chomper has had the occasional outright fantastic fear such as when he believed Mr. Threehorn’s words that him losing a tooth meant he was literally going to fall apart. I could see why Chomper might fear Doc might come after him. At some point, gossip must pass out about how the Great Valley is so freaking weird that they allow a sharptooth adolescent to stay there. Still, they can both have the habit of jumping to the worst (and often inaccurate) conclusions about something, so it would be interesting to see what happens when that bounces off each other.

I can see a clash between Hyp and Cera if they were forced to work together on more than a passing basis, especially at their current age. Even if he isn’t as much of a jerk, Hyp might struggle to take the gang’s decisions during danger seriously due to their younger age. Cera likely sees him and his friends as less mature for their age and a bit of a dead weight especially in sink or swim situations (Which…holds a lot of truth, bless them). That is a recipe for conflict even on friendlier grounds, especially if their other friends aren’t present to hold them back and have them keep a cool head. Nevertheless, I can see Hyp coming to recognize that some of Cera’s judgements are sounder just by virtue of the many more dangerous situations she and the gang have been able to extricate themselves from. If he could pull his own weight enough to be useful, Cera could form a sort of respect for him and might consider some of his suggestions if they were actually good. They’d still likely butt heads for awhile, though, even if and when they become friends.

I think when they become older, they might handle conflicts a bit more maturely. Hyp might be still rough and a wise-tail, but I do think he might mellow as he grows up. I can see Cera becoming more easygoing too. At least they might recognize the need to put their prides aside and work collaboratively when the situation deigns it. I could see them using their clashing personalities as part of the good-natured exchange snark and roughhousing. They’d be still rough with one another but I’d think they have enough awareness about each other’s physical and emotional boundaries they wouldn’t go too far.

Anyway, another pair of characters who meeting could engender some interesting interactions might be…Shorty and Mo. Littlefoot’s mud brother and adopted, face-to-face. I think their interactions would be interesting, whether if they’re ignorant of that common connection and especially if they are.