The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Things in LBT you've always wondered about.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
1.) Despite the fact that Bron was still alive, the narrator says that Littlefoot, his mother, and his grandparents were the last of his herd.

2.)  How things went when Littlefoot told the Great Valley about Chomper coming.

3.)  Why the narrator in II says that there are two types of dinosaurs: Those that eat leaves and those that eat meat (other dinosuars).  However, in that very same movie, there is Ozzy, who eats EGGS.  

3.) If Topsy is Cera's father's real name.

4.)  If Guido was orphaned at a very young age and cannot recall his parents or family and hence thinks he's one of a kind.  (I think he still is, but I think there are other Microraptors out there.  He just hasn't found them yet.)

5.)  Is Guido a Sharptooth flyer?  He eats bugs like Chomper.  

6.)  Has Chomper been eating leaf eaters between II and V?  I'm wondering, his parents didn't seem to question him when he said that he had longneck for breakfast.  One would think if he'd only eaten dragon flies and whatnot, they'd have found his comment of eating longneck to be phony (or one almost wold surmise that anyway.)  One also wonders, if, like Littlefoot's Grandparents kept giving him food till he ate it, Chomper's parents kept giving him meat, till finally he said "Well, they're already dead and I didn't knock them off myself, so, might as well."  

7.)  Why Shorty, even if he was orphaned, why he has such a tude problem and is kind of a bully.  On the flip side, Littlefoot thought he was orphaned for years, only to find out he still had a father, yet, in all those years, he doesn't have a tude problem.  

8.)  Do Sharpteeth suffer from herd segregation too?  Other than Dil and Ichy, who got along oh so not well, we've never seen, say, Tyranosaurus and Belly Draggers working together or any type working together.  In fact, as far as I can tell, other than VI, where it appears to be not a partnership but just chance, we only see Sharpteeth of two different types working together one other time, a very notable occurance: Red Claw (Tyranosaurs) and Screech and Thud (Fast Biters).   I doubt any other time they ever work together well.  One almost thinks that Red Claw figured out a way to get Sharpteeth to work with other Sharpteeth herds (at least, Sharpteeth loyal to HIM anyway).   That would make huge sense as to the plot of the TV Series, as if neither Sharpteeth nor Leaf Eaters in the Mysterious Beyond would work outside of their own herd, that would give Red Claw, who might have managed such a feat, perhaps through brute force and intimidation, though perhaps he has brains too and has worked out a thug network somehow, perhaps stealing food from other Sharpteeth to pay them off.  Anyway, the one place that has been well documented to have herds working together would be, you guessed it, the Great Valley, which is pretty much why Ruby and Chomper stated they had gone there.  It wasn't so much to hide from Red Claw for the rest of their lives there, but to try and observe the Great Valley dinosaurs and how they work together and then teach dinosaurs in the Mysterious Beyond those lessons so that they could work together and overthrow Red Claw and his goons.  

9.)  Why didn't Ali, who had encountered Sharpteeth like Dil and Ichy, and who knows what else in the Land of Mists, have a least a grain of doubt when hearing Rhett's whoppers?   Also, have Ali and Littlefoot grown further apart since IV as she seems kinda snobby to him in the TV series?  
Perhaps Rhett was her sole companion of her age and she kinda grew close to him.  On the other hand, if Littlefoot and Ali WERE meant to be a couple in the future, does this mean a love triangle between Littlefoot, Ali, and Rhett is looming?  

10.) If Hyp was a teenager in III, is he an adult by the time of the TV series or still a teenager?

11.) Does anyone know at what age Littlefoot would come of age (i.e. dinosaurs probably didn't have the same lifespan as us and some may well have had a longer lifespan than us.) ?  That might be an important factor in determining how many movies to make before he becomes an adult.  

:unsure:

12.) Has anyone else noticed that Typpy in the TV series and Lizzie in XI sound like Suzy Carmichael from Rugrats?  

13.)  Has anyone ever thought how Littlefoot would get married, barring Ali's return or another longneck herd coming to the Great Valley?  Despite what his mother promised him, there don't seem to be any other longnecks (that aren't his grandparents and aren't Littlefoot himself) that reside in the Great Valley.  (Maybe they are hiding and will come out in future movies, but still, one woulda thought they'd have shown by now.  True, I think we might have seen another longneck in V with them, but, heck, she was full grown too.)  I know one longneck went back to the Great Valley with Grandma and Grandpa at the end of X, but still, that won't help Littlefoot find Mrs. Right.  

14.) On the same subject as 13, Spike would have the same problem, being the only spiketaill in the Great Valley.   Petrie, Ducky, and Spike seem to have other of their kind, or probably do, but Littlefoot and Spike don't seem to.

15.) Are Littlefoot and Ali first cousins or third cousins?  

16.) Are Chomper's parents and Red Claw open to canniablism?  If one notices, their comment about eating any friends of Chomper's as dessert in V doesn't seem to indicate what type the friends are.  Not only could they be fellow Sharpteeth, they could be fellow Tyranosaurses.  Also, it seems, maybe I heard wrong, that Red Claw wants to eat Chomper in the TV Series.  (So do Screech and Thud, so maybe Sharpteeth eat each other too.  Maybe the leaf eaters should use that to their advantage.  

:idea    )

17.)  How Chomper kept his name that Littlefoot gave him and his parents didn't change it or wonder where he got it from?  

18.) Where Mo learned to speak Leaf Eater?

19.)  Why Fast Biters are called Fast Biters?   (I can see where they got Fast Runner as they run fast.  Most leaf eaters run (or DIE) when Fast Biters start biting so one would think they wouldn't have much time to measure the speed of their biting versus that  of other carnivores.)  

20.) Why Chomper, having seen his parents chase Littlefoot near that log in II, would think they'd  suddenly be nice to Littlefoot for no reason in V.  Has he ever seen her parents kill something (perhaps Ozzy or Strut too, we don't know on that) or has he always covered his eyes or been off chasing dragon flies at the time?  

21.) At what point did Chomper stop trying to eat dragon flies and decide to eat bees instead?

22.)  Why didn't Ozzy and Strut just turn around that corner instead of leaping off the cliff.  If that HHAD been a grown dangerous Sharptooth, he'd have had his fill with the kids and Ozzy and Strut could have stayed out of sight and watched them die, something one would think, given Ozzy's personality, he'd probably get a kick out of?

23.)  Why Chomper didn't say "Hey guys, it's me Chomper.  Hello."  when encountering them, but just stood there, opening and closing his mouth, casting that creepy shadow, and letting the kids run and only speaking to them when they were trapped against the wall, cowering and expecting to die at any moment?  Was that his idea of a practical joke?

24.)  Did Cera outgrow her foolhardiness around villains that she had in I, II, and IV?  (She was ramming Sharptooth in the first movie, idiotically told Ozzy and Strut that Chomper was a baby in II, and went "Heee!" when Dil and Ichy were fighting each other and they would have gotten away otherwise if she hadn't opened her mouth in IV.)  

25.) Was Littlefoot ever offended when he found out he had been named after his father's childhood nickname?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
1. The narrator said "all that remained of his herd", not "last of his kind". "All that remained" simply means that only a few members were left of an initially large herd. While most of them could have been killed, some could have simply left, such as Bron. So the narrator wasn't contradicting himself with that. Also, the movie was made back in the 80s, and I doubt that they had any plans for a father for Littlefoot at the time.

6. Considering Chomper was hunting Littlefoot and the others before realizing who they were, I'd say yes, he was eating leafeaters.

7. Littlefoot actually had his grandparents, whereas Shorty had no one. But even if they did have the same problem (with Littlefoot also having nobody), that doesn't mean that they'd develop the same problems. Everyone is different. Not everyone comes out of the same experience exactly the same.

13. I don't think dinosaurs get married. They're dinosaurs. They have mates, yes. But I do not think the dinosaurs have a concept of 'marriage'.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
As for get married, in the fourth movie, the words "husband and wife" were used in a song, so I'm going to guess that they actually do.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Dec 22 2014 on  12:51 AM
1. The narrator said "all that remained of his herd", not "last of his kind". "All that remained" simply means that only a few members were left of an initially large herd. While most of them could have been killed, some could have simply left, such as Bron. So the narrator wasn't contradicting himself with that. Also, the movie was made back in the 80s, and I doubt that they had any plans for a father for Littlefoot at the time.

6. Considering Chomper was hunting Littlefoot and the others before realizing who they were, I'd say yes, he was eating leafeaters.

7. Littlefoot actually had his grandparents, whereas Shorty had no one. But even if they did have the same problem (with Littlefoot also having nobody), that doesn't mean that they'd develop the same problems. Everyone is different. Not everyone comes out of the same experience exactly the same.

13. I don't think dinosaurs get married. They're dinosaurs. They have mates, yes. But I do not think the dinosaurs have a concept of 'marriage'.
Considering that they were sleeping and he could easily have attacked earlier and wiped them out, particularly while Littlefoot was waking the others, I'm guessing he wasn't hunting them.  Also, considering that there wasn't any WTH were you trying to do to us from Littlefoot & Co. , I'm assuming that it was nothing more than the shadow thingy like in the second movie.  Also, let's face it, if what you said was true, even Littlefoot would have had misgivings of Chomper.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Dec 22 2014 on  12:51 AM

That is another thing, what DID happen to the rest of his herd?

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Another thing is, when Dil threw Ducky up into the air and was close to eating her, why didn't Petrie go and grab her mid air and take off with her?  Last I checked, Petrie can fly as of the end of the first movie.  

Littlefoot fan 1990

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://vitaniandkovulover.deviantart.com/
There are things I always wondered about in this series:

1. Why Littlefoot never had blood related siblings? Cera, Ducky and Petrie were shown to have siblings in the first movie. I always found that to be one of my pet peeves of the series. I always loved the idea to imagine if Littlefoot had blood related siblings.

2. Why Ozzy insisted that Strut eat eggs like him. It was clear that Strut wanted to eat green food.  

3. Why the narrator in the movies only mention two types of dinosaurs (meat eater and plant eater). There were omnivore dinosaurs too.

4. Why Petrie always spoke in broken English. Ducky's English was much better even with her yep yep yep and no no no.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
could you please edit your posts when you have something to add instead of posting several times in a row, LittlefootAndAliTogether? We don't really encourage "doubleposting" here... For example, I've just edited my post to add my two cents on Littlefoot fan 1990's questions :yes

1.) Despite the fact that Bron was still alive, the narrator says that Littlefoot, his mother, and his grandparents were the last of his herd.
What DarkHououmon there said. The Original LBT movie wasn't meant to get sequels originally; the idea of Littlefoot having a lost dad came much later. So Littlefoot just didn't have a father in LBT 1. I don't know what the producers had in mind but I can very well imagine they assumed he died in the harsh world they lived in.
Continuity is something the makers of LBT didn't care a lot about  :rolleyes Explains about half of your questions :p

2.) How things went when Littlefoot told the Great Valley about Chomper coming.
These "what-if-questions" are usually best answered in fanfictions which take on the questions and try to find a different outcome of certain events. If I were to answer that one, I'd say that Chomper might have been treated similar to the Tinysaurusses if not worse...

3.) Why the narrator in II says that there are two types of dinosaurs: Those that eat leaves and those that eat meat (other dinosuars). However, in that very same movie, there is Ozzy, who eats EGGS.
Hmm, yeah that is odd. Maybe they wanted to keep it simple for the kids. They possibly wouldn't understand the concept of an omnivore such as Ozzy and Strut so they kept it simple.

3.) If Topsy is Cera's father's real name.
That's probably his nickname. Many here also refer to him as Topps which could be his real name (sound a little more appropriate for such a tough guy ^^)

4.) If Guido was orphaned at a very young age and cannot recall his parents or family and hence thinks he's one of a kind. (I think he still is, but I think there are other Microraptors out there. He just hasn't found them yet.)
I think Guido has a sort of mental illness since he keeps forgetting everything. It's like he can only keep things for a limited time until they get deleted eventually. That's my own theory anyway.

5.) Is Guido a Sharptooth flyer? He eats bugs like Chomper.
Microraptors are carnivorous dinosaurs I think though my knowledge about paleontology isn't all that great :angel Actually, he's supposed to eat actual flesh. They made him eat bugs instead because they needed an odd looking dinosaur to fit Guidos odd behavior and Microraptor might have been the perfect choice for that. Who knows...

6.) Has Chomper been eating leaf eaters between II and V? I'm wondering, his parents didn't seem to question him when he said that he had longneck for breakfast. One would think if he'd only eaten dragon flies and whatnot, they'd have found his comment of eating longneck to be phony (or one almost wold surmise that anyway.) One also wonders, if, like Littlefoot's Grandparents kept giving him food till he ate it, Chomper's parents kept giving him meat, till finally he said "Well, they're already dead and I didn't knock them off myself, so, might as well."
I'm pretty sure Chomper has eaten meat before and possibly caught it himself (fuzzies, baby dinosaurs etc.). Of course I can't know it because it's never been mentioned in the movies (hence the question in the first place :p)

7.) Why Shorty, even if he was orphaned, why he has such a tude problem and is kind of a bully. On the flip side, Littlefoot thought he was orphaned for years, only to find out he still had a father, yet, in all those years, he doesn't have a tude problem.
What DarkHououmon said. Littlefoot had friends and Grandparents but Shorty had noone... possibly. Shorty's backstory is a kind of mystery which is why I'm writing a fanfiction about that  :smile

8.) Do Sharpteeth suffer from herd segregation too? Other than Dil and Ichy, who got along oh so not well, we've never seen, say, Tyranosaurus and Belly Draggers working together or any type working together. In fact, as far as I can tell, other than VI, where it appears to be not a partnership but just chance, we only see Sharpteeth of two different types working together one other time, a very notable occurance: Red Claw (Tyranosaurs) and Screech and Thud (Fast Biters). I doubt any other time they ever work together well. One almost thinks that Red Claw figured out a way to get Sharpteeth to work with other Sharpteeth herds (at least, Sharpteeth loyal to HIM anyway). That would make huge sense as to the plot of the TV Series, as if neither Sharpteeth nor Leaf Eaters in the Mysterious Beyond would work outside of their own herd, that would give Red Claw, who might have managed such a feat, perhaps through brute force and intimidation, though perhaps he has brains too and has worked out a thug network somehow, perhaps stealing food from other Sharpteeth to pay them off. Anyway, the one place that has been well documented to have herds working together would be, you guessed it, the Great Valley, which is pretty much why Ruby and Chomper stated they had gone there. It wasn't so much to hide from Red Claw for the rest of their lives there, but to try and observe the Great Valley dinosaurs and how they work together and then teach dinosaurs in the Mysterious Beyond those lessons so that they could work together and overthrow Red Claw and his goons.
Particularly fastbiters are working together in packs (in LBT 3 & LBT 7 for example). Big Sharpteeth like Chomper's parents probably hunt either alone or in small groups like families hunting together. The Sharpteeth in LBT 13 were a rather large group. Interspecies groups aren't always successful as we see in LBT 4 and in the series.

9.) Why didn't Ali, who had encountered Sharpteeth like Dil and Ichy, and who knows what else in the Land of Mists, have a least a grain of doubt when hearing Rhett's whoppers? Also, have Ali and Littlefoot grown further apart since IV as she seems kinda snobby to him in the TV series?
Perhaps Rhett was her sole companion of her age and she kinda grew close to him. On the other hand, if Littlefoot and Ali WERE meant to be a couple in the future, does this mean a love triangle between Littlefoot, Ali, and Rhett is looming?
I have no idea. Ali's behavior is unlike her. I mean, she is kind of gullible but she's also got a good portion of doubt in her as she doesn't trust Littlefoot's (totally friendly and harmless) friends at first. Maybe she's just glad to have a friend of her age at all so she kinda accepts his bragging and, in order to keep her friend satisfied of her, she stays on his side when they meet Littlefoot. Or the writers just didn't think about continuity again  :rolleyes
A love triangle? Well, I wouldn't mind  :lol

10.) If Hyp was a teenager in III, is he an adult by the time of the TV series or still a teenager?
A slightly older and more mature teenager but a teenager all the same. Neither of the characters really grew in age a lot throughout the franchise. Littlefoot and his Gang are a little taller maybe or Hyp just shrinked. The size of the characters varies from movie to movie anyway :p

11.) Does anyone know at what age Littlefoot would come of age (i.e. dinosaurs probably didn't have the same lifespan as us and some may well have had a longer lifespan than us.) ? That might be an important factor in determining how many movies to make before he becomes an adult.
Judging by size... kindergarden age. Judging by maturity... elementary school age.

12.) Has anyone else noticed that Typpy in the TV series and Lizzie in XI sound like Suzy Carmichael from Rugrats?
I'll pass this one. Don't know who that is though the voices do sound a tad similar...

13.) Has anyone ever thought how Littlefoot would get married, barring Ali's return or another longneck herd coming to the Great Valley? Despite what his mother promised him, there don't seem to be any other longnecks (that aren't his grandparents and aren't Littlefoot himself) that reside in the Great Valley. (Maybe they are hiding and will come out in future movies, but still, one woulda thought they'd have shown by now. True, I think we might have seen another longneck in V with them, but, heck, she was full grown too.) I know one longneck went back to the Great Valley with Grandma and Grandpa at the end of X, but still, that won't help Littlefoot find Mrs. Right.
Dinosaurs don't marry, they mate. It's kinda the same, just a matter of wording ;) There are other Longnecks in the valley (in LBT 11 for example) only they're just background characters Littlefoot never interacts with and they don't seem to have kids either.

14.) On the same subject as 13, Spike would have the same problem, being the only spiketaill in the Great Valley. Petrie, Ducky, and Spike seem to have other of their kind, or probably do, but Littlefoot and Spike don't seem to.
I can't remember any examples right now but I'm pretty sure there are Spiketails in the Valley as background characters...

15.) Are Littlefoot and Ali first cousins or third cousins?
I doubt Grandma adressed them as "cousins" because they're actually related by blood.

16.) Are Chomper's parents and Red Claw open to canniablism? If one notices, their comment about eating any friends of Chomper's as dessert in V doesn't seem to indicate what type the friends are. Not only could they be fellow Sharpteeth, they could be fellow Tyranosaurses. Also, it seems, maybe I heard wrong, that Red Claw wants to eat Chomper in the TV Series. (So do Screech and Thud, so maybe Sharpteeth eat each other too. Maybe the leaf eaters should use that to their advantage.
Sure, they eat each other. Carnivorous animals do it in our time so why shouldn't the dinosaurs have done that as well?

17.) How Chomper kept his name that Littlefoot gave him and his parents didn't change it or wonder where he got it from?
We don't know that. As far as I'm aware, Chomper's parents never referred to him as Chomper, only as "son" or plainly "he".

18.) Where Mo learned to speak Leaf Eater?
Maybe his species interacts with landwalkers every now and then? Mo is curious so interacting with other creatures and dinosaurs is just his thing. Besides, LBT 9 would have been kinda boring if Mo couldn't talk, don't you think? :p

19.) Why Fast Biters are called Fast Biters? (I can see where they got Fast Runner as they run fast. Most leaf eaters run (or DIE) when Fast Biters start biting so one would think they wouldn't have much time to measure the speed of their biting versus that of other carnivores.)
Fastbiters are very swift runners just like fastrunners. I reckon you interpreted their name as creatures who "bite fast"? Well, they might do that too but particularly they're really fast at running.

20.) Why Chomper, having seen his parents chase Littlefoot near that log in II, would think they'd suddenly be nice to Littlefoot for no reason in V. Has he ever seen her parents kill something (perhaps Ozzy or Strut too, we don't know on that) or has he always covered his eyes or been off chasing dragon flies at the time?
Chomper has to be a bit younger than his friends so he's really naive (kids tend to be naive) and innocent. He doesn't realise that his friends are actually his prey.

21.) At what point did Chomper stop trying to eat dragon flies and decide to eat bees instead?
When he realised they're easier to catch? I have no idea...

22.) Why didn't Ozzy and Strut just turn around that corner instead of leaping off the cliff. If that HHAD been a grown dangerous Sharptooth, he'd have had his fill with the kids and Ozzy and Strut could have stayed out of sight and watched them die, something one would think, given Ozzy's personality, he'd probably get a kick out of?
When you're in a "fight or run" situation your logical thinking is shut down and you're acting on pure instinct. Their instinct lead them away from the danger even though there miiiiiiiight have been a less painful way to escape ;)

23.) Why Chomper didn't say "Hey guys, it's me Chomper. Hello." when encountering them, but just stood there, opening and closing his mouth, casting that creepy shadow, and letting the kids run and only speaking to them when they were trapped against the wall, cowering and expecting to die at any moment? Was that his idea of a practical joke?
I think Chomper was too young at that point to plan a practical joke. He probably needed some time to recognise his friends he was hunting and he was a tad confused.

24.) Did Cera outgrow her foolhardiness around villains that she had in I, II, and IV? (She was ramming Sharptooth in the first movie, idiotically told Ozzy and Strut that Chomper was a baby in II, and went "Heee!" when Dil and Ichy were fighting each other and they would have gotten away otherwise if she hadn't opened her mouth in IV.)
Hmm, I don't know. Maybe she just learned that it's safer to run? :p

25.) Was Littlefoot ever offended when he found out he had been named after his father's childhood nickname?
He doesn't seem too unhappy with it. He sure doesn't mind when the Tinysaurusses make fun of his name.

Another thing is, when Dil threw Ducky up into the air and was close to eating her, why didn't Petrie go and grab her mid air and take off with her? Last I checked, Petrie can fly as of the end of the first movie.
I think Petrie was sort of knocked at that moment. Would have rewatch the movie to be sure.

1. Why Littlefoot never had blood related siblings? Cera, Ducky and Petrie were shown to have siblings in the first movie. I always found that to be one of my pet peeves of the series. I always loved the idea to imagine if Littlefoot had blood related siblings.
Littlefoot's Mother has laid more than just one egg but the others didn't make it. I'm not sure why the writers wanted him to be an only child though.

2. Why Ozzy insisted that Strut eat eggs like him. It was clear that Strut wanted to eat green food.
Coz' he's a jerk? :D As an eggstealer, for Ozzy it appears to be out of question to eat anything else than eggs. As he states in his song, he's "ridiculously picky" ;) He probably also enjoys ruling over his brother.

3. Why the narrator in the movies only mention two types of dinosaurs (meat eater and plant eater). There were omnivore dinosaurs too.
Like I told LittlefootAndAliTogether, the kids might not get the concept of an omnivore so they kept it simple.
Inactive, probably forever.

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Well Petrie might not have trusted his own strength. And surely ducky had grown in size and weight since the first movie.

I also wondered about the Susan Carmichael thing and totally looked it up once among other things but forgot xD

Technically Bron was separated from the group when going to find a place so I dunno if you could still call him part of 'the herd' at that point. That and LBT 10 was faaaaaar off xD

Interesting thoughts on the others, OP. You're good at analysis :)

EDIT: Woah dang Ducky. i need to read that O_O

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
23.) Why Chomper didn't say "Hey guys, it's me Chomper. Hello." when encountering them, but just stood there, opening and closing his mouth, casting that creepy shadow, and letting the kids run and only speaking to them when they were trapped against the wall, cowering and expecting to die at any moment? Was that his idea of a practical joke?

There was a good chance he did not recognize them right away. Keep in mind, it's been a while since he last saw them. Months at least, considering his age, I'm guessing. He's not going to recognize them right away.

There was no way he was 'playing a practical joke' on them. If you watch his behavior, this is pure hunting behavior; he was trying to hunt, kill, and eat them. He did not know who they were yet, and when he realized his error, he stops. When you see his face afterwards when he realizes he was hunting his friends, and the way he says "...Littlefoot...?", I think that pretty much shows that he really did not know who he was hunting and that it was no joke.

When you are away from someone long enough, and then you see them again, good chance you may not recognize them right away, especially if you've only known them a short time. Keep in mind that Chomper only knew Littlefoot and the others for a day, while he was with his parents for much longer. He may not have forgotten about them, but he probably wasn't thinking of them very much and kinda pushed them off to the side of his memories, maybe on occassion thinking about them.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Decided to stop after 15.  I may do my thoughts on the others later.

1 .  I take that to be a retcon.  

2. That and how Chomper got accepted could be a movie in itself.  Also how Chomper & Ruby met, and got to the great valley could be a movie in itself.  So that is 2 movies.  If done as seperate movies, with good script writers, it would allow more character growth, expansion and moments.

3.  And the fact Ozzy's brother seemed willing to eat plants.  Maybe the narrator didn't know of the omnivore types of dinosaurs.  

3.  I always assumed his name maybe Tops, with Topsy more of a pet name given to him.  

4. I guess no microraptor has gone to the great valley since none of the gang seemed to know what he was.  

5. He could be more of an insectovore type of dino.  Or ate small things.  maybe he could eat tiny fish too. I see on reason why he couldn't.  

6. As i recall it did look like he was stalking Littlefoot and the gang with intent to eat or attack them, till he either recognized them by sight or maybe their scent, once he was close, then his whole demenor changed.  Also didn't his parents call him to dinner or something.  I've not seen the movie in a while.  

7. Could be a difference in personality.  Also maybe since Littlefoot found friends fairly early on, while if I recall correcty Shorty had to look after some younger longnecks and no longneck wanted to adopt him so he was taken care of by Bron, but not officially (by dino standards) adopted by him.  

8.  Wasn't it in 3 where some sharpteeth, that the tv series or later movies would call fast biters seemed to be in something like a herd, though they may have just shown up at the spot together and were not a herd as such.  

9.    I put it up to bad writing myself.  

10. I guess he's stil a teenager, none of the game ever ages, so why would anyone else age.

11.  Can't really till since they don't give ages in the movies or tv series as I recall.  

12. I'm bad at spotting this voice sounds like it was done by that voice actor/actress so I never catch that usually.  

13.  There are longnecks, I guess lone wonderers, No reason some can't be couples or herds that we don't see, so one of them may have a daughter, or maybe Ali will be the one Littlefoot will choose to be mates with, unless he meets another female longneck.  

14.  I guess like 13, we'd have to assume there are herds of longwalker spiketails, besides the one we saw, and some mixed herds, so he may be able to find a mate at some point.  

15. It may be just a polite term all longnecks use by calling each other cousins since they can't easily tell with herds merging, splitting part, some migrating from this herd to that herd, residents, ect.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
What about those velociraptors that got washed INTO the Great Valley at the of the third movie?  Did they get abducted by Rainbow Face aliens or are they still hiding in the Great Valley, perhaps near Saurus Rock, where, despite the Great Valley being practically Sharptooth proof, two are seen in the Great Valley, and nobody looks for a broken wall anywhere like in II or The Hidden Canyon.  

However, one also wonders what keeps the population in the Great Valley under control if Sharpteeth presence is practically zero and there seems, barring widlfires or swarm leaf gobblers or big freezes, to be endless food pretty much, why they don't get overcrowded.

I do have some theories of what could keep the population down.

1.)  Flying Sharpteeth could still fly over the Great Wall and make off with young kids and stuff.

2.)  There is the sinking sand, which is lethal.

3.)  One could drown in rivers if young enough.

4.)  Egg Stealers.  

5.)  Perhaps they leave when the food supply doesn't seem big enough for all, as was seen when Tippy's herd left during VIII.

6.)  The dinsoaurs have fewer children (though I have trouble believing this as the reason as Ducky and Petrie's families look quite big.)  

7.)  Not many of them live there their whole lives (Thicknose seems to be the only one that said he lived there his whole life (except, presumably, he left during V, yeah, that continuity thing again.)  

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: LittlefootAndAliTogether,Dec 22 2014 on  07:40 PM
What about those velociraptors that got washed INTO the Great Valley at the of the third movie?
Actually, they weren't washed into the valley at all.

Considering that the water here fed the waterfall of the valley, if the raptors had been washed in, they would have appeared at the watering hole of the valley. Instead, however, they got out of the water well before this, still in the Mysterious Beyond.

This isn't the valley. This is the Mysterious Beyond. On the other side later in the same scene, you see Littlefoot and his grandparents. And later on, you see them return into the valley, showing that this does indeed happen in the Mysterious Beyond.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Dec 22 2014 on  07:40 PM
Quote from: LittlefootAndAliTogether,Dec 22 2014 on  07:40 PM
What about those velociraptors that got washed INTO the Great Valley at the of the third movie?
Actually, they weren't washed into the valley at all.

Considering that the water here fed the waterfall of the valley, if the raptors had been washed in, they would have appeared at the watering hole of the valley. Instead, however, they got out of the water well before this, still in the Mysterious Beyond.

This isn't the valley. This is the Mysterious Beyond. On the other side later in the same scene, you see Littlefoot and his grandparents. And later on, you see them return into the valley, showing that this does indeed happen in the Mysterious Beyond.
I had wondered this too.  Thanks for clarifying it.

However, what about Secret of Suarus Rock?   The Meanest Ever Sharptooth got in in the past and there were two in the present time there in the movie too.  The funny thing is, unlike II and The Hidden Canyon, nobody bathers to give a Threehorn's toot how they got in.   Also, see the Belly Draggers in "the Amazing Threehorn Girl".  The Great Wall isn't a complete barrier to Sharptteth.  )(Nor, for that matter, would it be useful against Ichy or the type that tried to eat Ducky in V.  It didn't keep out Pterano who wasn't supposed to be there (Rinkus and Sierra were probably unknown to the Great Valley residents, as one would think they DEFINITELY wouldn't be allowed in, given their evil nature.)  

(Hmmmm, as Ichy could fly over and Belly Draggers seem to be able to get in somehow, Dil and Ichy could sneak into the Great Valley one night for a little revenge on the Gang of Five.)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The two sharpteeth in LBT 6 aren't really in the valley itself. It's (like so often) a continuity issue. Saurus Rock isn't located in the valley itself but somewhat outside of it (the area is still vegetated and all that). Dina & Dana, Littlefoot, his friends and Grandpa have to climb a sort of mountain (presumably the Great Wall which protects the Valley from Sharpteeth) before they reach Saurus Rock. Most movies show the direct surrounding areas of the Great Valley to be barren and dead but LBT 6 contradicts that somehow  :rolleyes It's, admittedly, not quite my favourite movie.

As for the bellydraggers in the series... well, the series didn't care about continuity either. Or maybe Bellydraggers can climb the walls?  :unsure:
Inactive, probably forever.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ducky123,Dec 23 2014 on  07:33 AM
As for the bellydraggers in the series... well, the series didn't care about continuity either. Or maybe Bellydraggers can climb the walls?  :unsure:
Well, gators are known to be able to climb trees. So it's possible that the bellydraggers can climb.

Another possibility is that maybe the bellydraggers simply came by an underground entrance. Maybe there's an underwater stream somewhere that they came across that led to one of the entrances of the valley.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I'd like to know about all of them below, particularly #1 , which I think has as potentially a gruesome implication as the fact that Chomper's parents considered any friends of Chomper's as dessert despite never bothering to ask about what species the friends were, though, this incident takes place in film 4, not film 5, and #3, which is very interesting.  

1.)  Why Ichy used the word "swallow" instead of "chew", when he fell into Dil's mouth?  (He says "Don't swallow Dil!!!  It's me Ichy!")  For years, it never clicked to me the potentially gruesome implications of his quote, but I finally got it.  Does Dil normally swallow prey that is small enough alive and let the prey digest alive in her stomach?  (If so, she is pretty twisted!!!!   :wow  :wow  :wow  )  

2.)  Why does nobody fear they might catch Grandpa Longneck's disease in film IV?  I mean, is it the non-contagious type or will we need a LOT of Nightflowers due to contamination?  

3.) What the backstory of the Old One is.  She seems to have been through a lot.  She seems to know about the Nightflower and how it would save creatures as well as have likely lived where the Nightflower wasn't present, as she seems to have seen other dinosaurs croak where the Nightlflower couldn't have been present, as she says the disease is fatal and there are Night Flowers in the Valley of Mists.  Also, one almost wonders if she knows some dark secret about the Great Valley's past, as, despite practically every other character in the films and series, who view the Great Valley as heaven on earth, she seems to believe that it is vulnerable (perhaps she knew about the fire from the third film, even if Grandma and Grandpa Longneck hadn't told her about it.  Perhaps she knows a good deal.)  and could fall.  Also, considering that she and Grandpa Longneck could be kin, one wonders if she saw such really horrible things in the Land of Mists that she would be willing to let a family member die and would discourage her herd or Grandma Longneck from going there to get the Night Flower.  (And also, considering how the kids were able to do the task she said was far too dangerous to work, whether she is secretly a coward.)  I'm wondering personally if she might have lived in the Great Valley in her younger years, which could even be before Thicknose's time, saw something really horrible, moved, possibly to the Land of Mists, among other places, saw horrors in the Land of Mists, and now is migratory and taking her herd with her as she has a morbid fear of settling down permanently in any spot ever again, fearful that she will see future tragedies and believing she can avoid them if she always moves.  All in all, it seems to me that she is a very tragic character who carries scars from her past that she doesn't like to talk about and perhaps plans to carry to her grave that would explain her behavior.  She was even willing to kill Chomper, despite him saying he is good (one can gather that, whatever she saw in her long and likely sad past, a talking Sharptooth wasn't one of them.) , and him acting in a way that seems so unlike any Sharptooth that one can gather she's ever met (and you can tell from her demeanor that she certainly has met more than her fair share of Sharpteeth in her life), and despite the fact that he's a kid, she is about to have him put to death and would have done so, had the Gang of Five and Ruby not intervened.  She doesn't seem to show any sorrow for what she almost did when she was about to order her herd to kill Chomper.  

Also, the Chomper near-death and the dying Grandpa Longneck scenario almost makes one wonder if she has reached such a point that death doesn't phase her anymore.  (Though, I doubt she's an evil character, though I could be wrong.  Perhaps she has just seen way too much in her life.)  Her backstory could be a movie in itself.  

4.) In Amazing Three Horn girl, when it turns out Cera was lying, it almost seems like some of them wanted her banished, as they say that Cera should leave.  Does anyone find that a bit harsh??

Also, why doesn't Cera have any empathy with Pterano?  I mean, she almost did lead the others, minus Littlefoot, to their doom in the Mountains that Burn, having kept running when Petrie fell into the tar pit and not even bothering to go back to the others and ultimately have to be rescued by them (how the others got out of that tar pit is a total mystery in itself.)  One would have thought she'd have thought "Well, what happened to Pterano almost happened to me too.  Perhaps I should go easy on him."  

5.) In film II, Ozzy throws his brother across that edge to try and help him get across (did he ever think that it was possible he might not have thrown enough) so they can get away from the Gang of Five (whom they mistake for adults) and lets Strut go first in this way, yet, when Strut later tries to cross on that log, Ozzy gets in the way and angrily says "I'm first!  I'm first!  I'm always first!" and goes across first.  

6.)  Why Strut jumps shortly after the log Ozzy was on caught fire.  (I mean, he could have just gone around the bend and up the mountain away from the lava flowing downhill.)  He doesn't even say "Oh no, Ozzy!" when he sees his brother fall either.  (Does he secretly hate Ozzy?)  Though, perhaps he does deeply care for Ozzy and decided that his fate would be the same as Ozzy's, hence that's why he jumped.

7.)  How Littlefoot somehow got back on the cliff after Ozzy was holding him right over the edge and Chomper's parents went for Ozzy and Strut.  I mean, one would think he'd drop Littlefoot, if in surprise if nothing else, and Littlefoot would fall right into the maws of the Sharpteeth below or onto the ground.  Maybe I missed something in that scene.  It happens kind of fast.)

8.)  Why Ozzy and Strut didn't try and blackmail Chomper's parents, threatening to smash Chomper's skull or something if they didn't back off?  (I mean, these two seem capable of murder already, so why didn't they try it?)  Perhaps they knew that Chomper's parents couldn't understand them, and, if their plot failed, as, given their bumbling nature, it likely would, they could expect a certain and, likely slow and painful, as Chomper's parents would probably kill and eat them slowly for vengeance,  demise, and they wisely decided that their best bet was to run like hell and at least have a chance of getting away?

9.)  Why did Ozzy and Strut wanted to kill the kids in the first place?  (Yeah, there's the egg thing, but, seriously, unless you're a hungry Sharptooth, is killing really the answer to losing a meal?   I could see trying to frighten the kids into never bothering them again, but, seriously, trying to knock them off a cliff, later into lava, possibly attack Littlefoot with their claws, and finally, to try and strangle Chomper and throw Littlefoot off the Great Wall, what is with these guys?!   Also, as you could see that the grownups were nearby in the scene when the kids were trying to hatch Chomper's egg, why Ozzy and Strut, who later did indeed go too far and got chased off by angry parents at the end of the film, didn't think that the grownups (why didn't they hear the kids yelling about a Sharptooth (though maybe they thought they were playing Sharptooth Attack) and also yelling when Ozzy and Strut came?) might come and, though they aren't quite as dangerous as Chomper's parents, could have done them great bodily harm?)  All in all, do you, like me, think that Ozzy and Sierra are psychopaths who don't care about knocking off children, despite having no dietary reasons to do so directly (i.e., Chomper's parents did) , and that, by the end of the second film, Strut is now leaning, perhaps not as bad yet, as his brother and has finally been made bad?

10)  Why the kids, minus Littlefoot, don't freak out when Chomper comes into view in II.  After all, other than Littlefoot, they have seen no reason to trust him, yet, they are nice to him pretty quickly.

11.)  Why Ozzy didn't just give up when he learned that the egg he was after, or so the kids told him, had hatched.  After all, an egg so close to hatching would probably not have enough yoke in it to be worth eating anyway, right?   Also, why does Ozzy ask what happened to the egg, despite standing right on the shells of Chomper's egg?  Is Ozzy that blind????

12.)  Why the thing that chased Dil didn't go for the kids instead, as one would think the creature would go for the kids, rather than Dil, who could bite back?

13.)  Whatever happened to Ichy?  (He was knocked out of danger by Di's tail.  One would have wondered why he at least didn't go for Ducky and/or Petrie, deciding that he wouldn't rest that night until he got a meal.   He was able to capture both Ducky and Petrie at different times, so this shouldn't be beyond his ability on his own.  Did he got knocked into sinking sand or a tar pit or into a group of bigger Sharpteeth?  Did he rejoin Dil at some point and they got into an argument again and hence forgot about the kids?)