The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Are the LBT dinosaurs cold-blooded

vonboy · 7 · 1082

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I was just wondering if, at least as far as the LBT universe is concerned, are the Dinosaurs cold-blooded or warm-blooded? I'd like to think that they are cold-blooded, but there is one thing in my mind that conflicts with that, the Cold Times. Wouldn't it be hard for cold-blooded creatures to survive during the Winter? I don't know the answer to that, maybe some one here does.

If the dinosaurs are indeed cold-blooded, that does help with some things. For example, it means Chomper has to eat much less meat (or buzzers/ground crawlers) to survive.

I know theirs a lot of scientific debate on whether they were cold or warm blooded. (at least, it was like that years ago, maybe they've found an answer since then?). I also know that LBT doesn't necessarily follow realistic science to a T, so this might be dismissed.

So, are they cold-blooded or warm-blooded? Or could it arguably go either way?
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I really don't think that the producer's were concerned with whether they were cold or warm-blooded, but this is actually a good question.

I'm really not sure whether Dinosaur's were warm or cold-blooded, and to tell you the truth, I've never really thought about it. But, since this is LBT, I would say that they are...well I believe it could go wither way, depending how you look at it.

I do think that it would be rather hard for Dinosaurs, if they were cold-blood, to survive in the winter, even in LBT, but you're right, LBT doesn't follow much scientific facts, so the producer's probably dissmissed this. Anyways, I don't know if they were cold or warm-blooded, but other's might. :p

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
While I don't think the makers of LBT spend much thought on it I take it that the LBT dinosaurs must be warmblooded. Not only do they not show any signs of brumation or hibernation but they are also not avoiding the snow, play in it, allow for themselves to be snowed in... all of this would be rather suicidal for cold-blooded creatures. But even in the absence of snow they would be much less active at night times without the sun allowing them to warm up and still we are seeing them running about at nighttime all the time. I think this is a point where the question was simply ignored by the writers of the stories because they felt that it would cut down their options. From what we see in the movies however the characters appear to be warm blooded.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Definitely warm-blooded. And even then, considering their lack of insulation, and the fact that they had been accustomed to warmer temperatures for their whole lives, I think it would be unlikely in real life that they could have survived the conditions depicted in LBT VII (not without frostbite, for sure). If cold-blooded, most of them wouldn’t stand a chance.

Very few scientists nowadays would argue that dinosaurs were “cold-blooded” in the manner of most modern reptiles and amphibians. Though the matter is still debated, it’s generally accepted that dinosaurs were at least partially warm-blooded, as they exhibited several adaptations that suggest warm-bloodedness:
  • Many dinosaursóseveral theropods and a few ornithischians like Tianyulongóhad hair-or-feather-like body integument, which likely served a similar insulating function to the body coverings of warm-blooded animals.

• The growth rings and vascular canals in dinosaur bones suggest that many of them grew very rapidly, and had relatively high metabolisms for at least part of their lives.

• Theropods and sauropodomorphs possessed air-filled sacs and cavities throughout their bodies, which probably increased their respiratory efficiency in much the same way as birds (which have similar systems). This would have enabled a higher metabolic rate.

• There are many dinosaurs that lived in parts of the world where, even in their time, the winter would have been too cold for them if they were cold-blooded. While the larger species could have migrated, this would not have been feasible unless they were warm-blooded.

• Dinosaurs almost certainly had four-chambered hearts like birds and mammals. Crocodilians also have four-chambered hearts, but it has been suggested that they are in fact secondarily cold-blooded, and that their ancestorsówhich were small, long-limbed creatures vaguely similar to early dinosaursówere “warm-blooded”.
However, there are a few problems with some dinosaurs being completely “warm-blooded” in the manner of mammals and birds. It has been argued that large dinosaurs like sauropods (longnecks) could not have had such high metabolic rates, as they would have overheated in the warm Mesozoic climate. And there are some dinosaurs whose growth rates seem to have been closer to those of modern reptiles. So not all dinosaurs may have been “warm-blooded” in the mammalian or avian sense. But then, it should be noted that the terms “warm-blooded” and “cold-blooded” are something of an oversimplication of thermoregulatory options. There are a number of other terms to be aware of to understand animal metabolism:

Endothermic: Generates most of the heat needed for energy internally.

Ectothermic: Gets most of the heat needed for energy from its environment.

Homeothermic: Has a self-regulated body temperature that remains relatively constant regardless of changes in the surrounding temperature.

Poikilothermic: Body temperature fluctuates with the remains relatively constant regardless of changes in the surrounding temperature.

Tachymetabolic: Has a high resting metabolism, requiring large quantities of food and oxygen to maintain.

Bradymetabolic: Has a low resting metabolism, with lower food and oxygen requirements.

The classic example of a “warm-blooded” animal is endothermic, homeothermic, and tachymetabolic, while the classic “cold-blooded” animal is ectothermic, poikilothermic, and bradymetabolic. But not all animals fall so neatly into these two categories. For instance, animals that hibernate or otherwise lower their metabolisms to conserve energy become poikilothermic when doing so, even though they are homeothermic. Conversely, bees can generate heat by vibrating their wing muscles (Japanese honeybees are actually known to kill marauding hornets by swarming over them and collectively raising the temperature to a level fatal to the hornet!), though they are technically “cold-blooded”. Some “cold-blooded” animals, such as sharks and swordfish, can even raise the temperature of certain parts of the body, such as the eyes, brain, and swimming muscles, enabling quick reflexes while hunting. All of these creatures are considered heterothermic, as they can alternate between homeothermy and poikilothermy (or, in the case of the last example, effectively both at the same time).

There are also animals that are gigantothermic: while technically “cold-blooded”, their body size allows them to hold onto what internal heat they do generate (for instance, the leatherback sea turtle produces heat through muscular action as it swims; this heat is retained due to its large mass and insulating blubber).

It’s possible that some dinosaurs were intermediate between “warm-bloodedness” and “cold-bloodedness”. Some may even have changed from one to the other as they aged: when young, they had high metabolic rates and were “warm-blooded”, and as adults their metabolisms slowed down and they became more “cold-blooded”, maintaining their body temperature through their immense size. Others may have had a metabolism that was higher than that of a classically “cold-blooded” animal, but not as high as a mammal’s or bird’s. And some (particularly the small, birdlike kinds) could have been truly “warm-blooded” their entire lives. Considering the diversity among dinosaurs, it wouldn’t surprise me if this were the case.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I originally thought the LBT dinos were cold-blooded, but after seeing LBT 8 and them still moving around during the snowy season, definitely warm-blooded. No cold-blooded animal could remain active in such freezing temperatures.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The young ones definitely must be warm-blooded. Their small bodies couldn't retain their heat in harsh winter conditions. For the large dinosaurs (such as Apatosauri), warm-bloodness isn't necessary to survive winter. Of course, I'm talking about winters in temperate climates. The climate of the Great Valley is temperate. Near the poles even large dinosaurs would require feathers, and a thick layer at that. And they would have to hibernate during the polar night or migrate into warmer lands.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: jansenov,Mar 30 2011 on  07:47 AM
The young ones definitely must be warm-blooded. Their small bodies couldn't retain their heat in harsh winter conditions. For the large dinosaurs (such as Apatosauri), warm-bloodness isn't necessary to survive winter. Of course, I'm talking about winters in temperate climates. The climate of the Great Valley is temperate. Near the poles even large dinosaurs would require feathers, and a thick layer at that. And they would have to hibernate during the polar night or migrate into warmer lands.
I'm pretty sure warm-bloodedness is necessary to survive winter. Insects and other cold-blooded animals survive winter by going into hibernation I think, or they die and their children hatch and take their place. Something like that. And I don't think GV's winters are temperate. The lake is frozen, the valley is covered in a blanket of snow, there's freezing wind, etc. How is that temperate? That's a full-blown blizzard. Even if it were classified as temp, for the air to get cold enough to freeze the ice, that would be enough to kill cold-blooded animals I believe. And since it snowed, it had to be have been cold enough for it to snow to begin with. And if memory serves right, the snow situation got worse and worse in the valley to the point where even the trees seem to be dying. I don't think a moderate winter would be that severe.

Large bodies may keep them warm for a certain amount of time, but without any kind of insulation and way to regulate body temperature, eventually the large bodies of, oh say, apatosaurus, would be drained of warmth as their body temps keep going down.

Of course when apatosaurus was around the world was warmer than it is today. It was likely still warm-blooded because scientists looked inside the bones of a dinosaur (I believe a sauropod) and found they more closely resemble a warm-blooded creature than a cold-blooded one; they found multiple clusters of blood vessels, a trait designed to regulate body temp. Cold-blooded animals do not have nearly as much. Plus they likely need four-chamber hearts, another trademark of warm-bloodedness, to pump blood all the way up their necks.

In the world of LBT, there definitely are winters and the only way the large GV dinos could survive was being warm-blooded. They had no feathers to keep them warm, no form of insulation. With no way to regulate their body temps, they would have eventually froze to death.

A cold-blooded animal's temp is highly dependent on the temperature around them. If big bodies really do keep cold-blooded creatures from dying in cold temps, then why don't we see any large cold-blooded animals running around all winter? I don't know of any such creature. The creatures typically active in winter are warm-blooded.