The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

My problems with the Sequels on Laserdisc

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Lately, I've been putting my new Laserdisc versions of 2 to 5 onto my computer.  As I record though, I've been noticing a few issues that don't make me very happy in the end.

When you have the Laserdisc version of a movie, great care must be taken to ensure the best performance.  Unfortunately, I found mine to not be in the best of condition.  With 2, 3 and 5, all of them had fingerprints and scratches on them. (I have yet to check 4.) The fingerprints I can easily clean off, but the scratches are permanent.  With these sort of distinctions, I knew I would have problems from the get-go.  Still, I gave them a shot.

2 had a sound cut that needed to be corrected.

5 had video cuts which can't be fixed without making it look obvious that certain scenes came from a different version.

3, despite having scratches, actually came out pretty well.

However, they all have one issue in common that is not related to the scratches.

Despite my best efforts to make changes, some of the scenes constantly changed in brightness.  In fact, the coloring is really an issue on this version.  Sometimes the characters practically blend in with the background.

It seems rather sad that such an issue would occur with something that is meant to push the quality to the limits of what is available at the time.  It makes both VHS and DVD look far more decent in the end.

I'll be able to give you guys some pictures later to show what I mean better, but just know that the Laserdisc versions of the Sequels really don't look right in the end.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, now this is putting the brightness at the lowest setting when it records over, and it still looks pretty bright to me.

Look at Cera here.

That's definitely way too bright.

Now look at Ducky's face here.

Her head practically blends in with Littlefoot's leg.  Plus, Littlefoot here looks a little pinkish.

I even messed around with the settings on my computer and it doesn't look much better.

Really, this is seriously off.