The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

So I've been watching the old Disney classics.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
The ones the Disney brothers and the Nine Old Men worked on (Snow White, Pinocchio, Fantasia, etc.) and man, the animation is fiendishly smooth. It holds up better than most stuff that's been animated between now and then despite being so much older. I can scarcely believe human hands animated these movies. The insane amount of work and polish that went even into the first one, Snow White, is insane. The complexity of the facial expressions alone is a technical marvel.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I know. :PLoofah The animation in the Golden Age films is something else and everything in Fantasia and Bambi especially is unbelievable. There was a reason I got several books concerning the issue back in the day as learning about those films and their creators was beyond intriguing. :duckyhappy

jassy

• certified member of the spike fanclub :)
  • Member+
  • Spike
  • your local procrastinating fanartist!
    • View Profile
I agree! The animation in Fantasia was gorgeous, not to mention the backgrounds from Bambi. As much as I love 3D animation, I have to admit that 2D animation just hits different.  :littlefoot:)
"Don't you ever wonder what's out there?"  :rainbowThinking

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I agree! The animation in Fantasia was gorgeous, not to mention the backgrounds from Bambi. As much as I love 3D animation, I have to admit that 2D animation just hits different.  :littlefoot:)
You wouldn't a scene with a bunch of mushrooms dancing would be so entertaining, but it is. And it of course "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" is the essential Mickey Mouse short.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
If there is one thing I can admire about Classic Disney, it's the quality of their creations.  Even if I end up hating it for one reason or another, I have to give them credit for all the hard work they put into it.  There's no denying that Classic Disney knew what they were doing.  Even when they went into Experimental Territory, they did a good job.  It's part of what made their Classic Movies Timeless.  It's part of why so many people love Classic Disney, even to this day.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
If there is one thing I can admire about Classic Disney, it's the quality of their creations.  Even if I end up hating it for one reason or another, I have to give them credit for all the hard work they put into it.  There's no denying that Classic Disney knew what they were doing.  Even when they went into Experimental Territory, they did a good job.  It's part of what made their Classic Movies Timeless.  It's part of why so many people love Classic Disney, even to this day.
Oh, yes. Like I said in the OP, a lot of their stuff holds up on a technical level more than more recent animated works. It's insane how they perfected the technique even before other people perfected the technology.