The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Upgrading Hard Drive

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I've been thinking.  There are times I feel 80 GB of a hard-drive isn't enough for what I want to do with my computer.  So I'm looking to upgrade it.

What are my options for doing such a thing?

Keep in mind though that I don't want to go through a reformat unless I have to.

Help will be much appreciated.

See ya later! :)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Getting an external harddrive might be an option. They're cheaper than getting a new computer.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
If you have a laptop, get an external drive.  I just got a 500GB Western Digital drive from Circuit City two days ago as a backup harddrive for info should anything go wrong with my computer.  Its very quiet and it seems to dissipate heat rather nicely, but after this week and giving it a workout to make sure its not a lemon, I'm putting it away until I need it.  Wish it had an on/off switch.  My other external is a three year old 250GB SimpleTech that uses an aliminum case to get rid of heat.  Still chugging away despite being on 24/7 most of the time.  Hot/humid days I turn it off because its too hot to hold.  I would say externals last provided you don't do tons of video editing on them or anything that requires tons of reading and writing cycles.  I only use mine for playback of music and video.

If you have a desktop the obvious choice is for an internal drive for price/GB.  500GB should be more than plenty.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Since you're inexperienced, I'd say get an external HD as well.  I can feel your pain.  80gb would last me oh......2 days. :p It would be cheaper to just go get a 500GB SATA drive from ebay.com.  They're around $80, but you have to install them inside the computer yourself.  They have a faster data transfer rate and are more efficient at just about everything, but then a USB HD can be used with multiple computers and it's easy to set up.  Just plug it in and you're ready to go! :D

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This is for my Desktop, which holds these current specs:

1.81 GHz AMD Athlonô 64 Processor 3000+ (Single Core)

4.00 GB RAM (3.00 being read and utilized currently.)

80GB SATA hard disk

1 DVD/CD Drive

1 Zip Drive

5 USB Ports (3 front, two back. Also hold a 4 USB port HUB to make it 8 USB ports.)

Windows XP SP3

Samsung Monitor

Logitech Keyboard

Microsoft Wireless 5-button with scroll wheel mouse

-----------

To be honest, I seriously don't think 80 GB is enough for me. :P:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
An external hdd could be the way to go.  You can get an external one or get an internal and external housing, up to you.  With an external hdd you can keep stuff on it that you'd rather not loose and you can use it with multiple computers and to help it last longer turn it off & unplug it when it's not in use.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Still.....installing programs on an external hard drive is not a good idea.  I think you should go get a 250gb or 320gb internal HD and also get an 500gb external or a 1tb(1000gb) drive if you can afford it.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
You've two choices - get an internal and use it for major editing projects that require that space, or you get an external and use it for storage and work with all your programs on the 80gb internal.  Don't force the externals to run programs or convert videos.  Internals are more reliable in that department.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
C'mon.  You can afford $60 for an internal 250gb hard drive.  Then go get a 500gb external HD.  On one of my main computers I have a 320gb hard drive and 2 1tb external HDs and all I do with my main drive is install programs.  It's only got 40gb left!  You can't just have a tiny useless main hard drive and then totally rely on external storage.  I've tried it.  It doesn't work. -_- You need to get both.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think I'll listen to LBTlover and get both external and internal hard drives.  I'll buy the stuff after my vacation.  Besides, my birthday is coming up this month, so they'll be good birthday presents. :)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Take my advice however and don't get the biggest internal HD you can find.  They die in a couple of years anyways.  You'd be better off to get a 250gb internal HD and a 1,000gb external than a 500gb internal and a 750gb external.  Let's say you have $250 to spend and you see an external 1,000gb hard drive for $219.  Go ahead and get it and then go a little over budget and get a 250gb internal drive for $59.  If you want you can go get a disk image program and just totally copy your current HD to your new one.  It would save you the trouble of setting up a master and slave drive and ya gotta admit that 80gb is pretty useless by itself.  Just believe me when I tell you this.  No matter how large of a HD you get, it will never be enough.  I remember when I spent a whole $350 on a 80gb hard drive 9 years ago and I thought I would have all the storage I'd ever need.  Now 80gb is practically a flash drive. :rolleyes: I mean, if you're going to spend $149 on a 500gb HD, you might as well get the 1,000gb for $50 more.  Trust me, you'll need it.

Computers are money money money and when it comes to buying computer stuff, you'd be MUCH better off to spend a little bit more and get twice the performance or storage.

Want more specific buying instructions?  Get this external HD.  It's a little over priced, but it's a much better quality drive:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Western-Digital-My...t=1218544290948

Next, get this internal HD if you've got SATA like you say:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Seagate-500GB-SATA...t=1218544203538

I normally wouldn't tell you to go 500gb on an internal drive, but it's only $9 more than the 320gb so why not?  ALWAYS go ebay when buying computer stuff.  Just make sure it's factory sealed so ya don't get ripped off. ;)

Speaking of hard drives, take a look at this sucker.  They can't get hard drives past 1.5tb so they put two 1tb drives into one huge and ugly package. :lol It's about as big as the freaking computer itself!

Even their studio pic makes this thing look like a piece of garbage.  I can't imagine having that sucker on my desk. :rolleyes:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Looks like some bit of modern art sculpture.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
If you rely on data you won't care how big it is.  You probably can free up space by dumping drives they won't be using when they're replaced by that thing. :p