The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Resolution Problem

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, here's the deal:

I had recently gotten myself a new internal hard drive for my computer. (Yeah, finally upgraded!  Yeah!) So of course, doing this means backing up with my external that I also recently got and reformatting the computer.

Now, after doing that and putting all of the data back on and such to finally get it back to what it was, just with a bigger hard drive, I find a little problem in the resolution deal.

I can't seem to access the highest resolution possible. (2048 by 1536 pixels, 32-bit) When I try to set it up, I get this black screen with a small green box with "Hz ?" in it.  It goes back to the previous one used after a few seconds, but not being able to access the highest resolution has got me a little concerned.

Is it possible that I did something wrong when I installed Windows XP SP3 Lite for the new hard drive or is it something else and what can be done to fix it?

All help appreciated. :)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
It's never a good idea to totally copy a hard disk and use the copied one as your main one with the OS on it.  It's very unstable. -_-

And there's no way you'll ever get a flat panel display to display that high of a resolution.  You must have at least a 21" old CRT monitor for that.  Just because it's an available option doesn't mean that your monitor can support that high of a resolution.  If you have the option and your resolution can't support it, you've definitely got a display adapter driver issue.

The problem seems to be with your monitor or graphics driver.  Try reinstalling the graphics card.  If that doesn't work, you must have changed monitors. :p

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I've had the same dang monitor from the first time I got my Desktop, which ISN'T flat to begin with, and that could support the highest resolution, so little chance of it being that. (Unless something happened to it.)

Anyways, reinstalling the graphics card worked.  I did notice something though before reinstalling it.  The card wasn't in all the way, which I'm guessing might cause problems.  Anyways, reinstalling worked, so I'm good now.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Glad to hear it.  I still can't believe you live with that high of a resolution.  It's a strain on the eyes.  I would never set my resolution that high.  Everything is way too tiny.  Besides, GOF's background is repeated like 6 times. :p