The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Whew! Just saved the PSU.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Whew!  I think I just saved myself from killing my computer.  At least, for now.

It's quite a hot day today, and with no AC, you can guess just how much I'm sweating. (Definitely need a lot of fluids today, and I just might sleep... let's say a certain way tonight.) Anyways, this was a nice problem for my computer as it got quite hot, especially the PSU.

I was watching a video on my computer when I heard a jet like noise.  I turned off the computer as quickly as I could.  I then felt the PSU and it was freaking hot.  So hot, I think I almost caused a fire. :o Anyways, while waiting for it to cool, I decided to find some sort of external fan to help it.

Sadly, we don't have many fans in this house. (They all broke over the years and we never replaced them. :() Then I looked at my external fan for my laptop and got an idea.  I plugged it into my USB port, (which doesn't need to be plugged into the computer to work.) put it on top of the desktop computer, turned it on, and it cooled the PSU in only a few minutes.

I'm keeping it on top of my desktop until I can get some nice fans into it. (Ones that can aim right at the PSU most likely.) Summer is going to be a b**** to my computer without them. -_-

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Unfortunately, no matter how many fans your computer has it can only handle it being so hot in the room.  I haven't had to contend with this since it doesn't get very hot in Washington.  But now that I'm in Minnesota I'm going to have to find a way to cool my computers other than fans.  It can get up to 130 degrees F upstairs where my server and such are located.

EDIT:  To save your CPU, you could consider temporarily underclocking your computer during the hot times.  That's what I plan to do.  As for the PSU....I don't know how I'm going to keep that cool. :unsure: