The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

PC overclocking

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Personally, I find overclocking very useful when I need a little extra performance boost in my games, while at the same time dangerous if overdone. I overclocked my processor from 2.66 to 3.00 GHz (small OC, I know; but any more, and my PC will often hang), and I overclocked my (*cough* integrated <_<) graphics with ATItool from a default core clock of 300.00 GHz to 375.18 GHz; further overclocking causes graphical glitches in my games (usually a sign that my graphics card is at an unstable state :blink:). ATItool showed an increase of 10-15fps during artifact scanning, and I'm already proud of it. :lol

So anyways, your thoughts on overclocking. DISCUSSION BEGIN. ;)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
In my master computer I've got one of the best overclockers in the world.....an E8400 3.0ghz Intel Core2Duo.  You can get it up to 4.2ghz if you add a new cooling system and spend about a dozen hours on it.  I might overclock it to 3.4ghz just for the heck of it, but I doubt I'll totally max it out.  Honestly the processor has more power than I'll ever need even in its current state.  I don't do a whole lot with my computers aside from Photoshop and heavy video editing.  Still, I noticed a huge difference when I went from 4gb of ram up to 6gb.  My master can handle up to 16gb of ram, but I don't need any more than my 6.  The next time I upgrade I'll most likely max it out to 16gb.  I see no advantage to upgrading it to 8gb.  Next time I upgrade it, I'm gonna go all out.  Of course if somehow a couple of 2gb ram modules just drops into my lap I'll use 'em. :p Stuff like that happens to me all the time.

JitteryDragon

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I would never dare overclock any of my PCs.

My main computer runs things pretty well though (Crysis at max, high res is my current benchmark), so I have no need for overclocking.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
I have no need or desire to overclock my computer... it wasn't designed for that sort of thing (technically, if it is overclocking at all, it is doing something the computer wasn't made for.)

I have gotten around any speed problems by just downloading new drivers for my processor.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
I forsee no need to overclock, even with Photoshop, Windows Media Player and a Microsoft Word document and Firefox running simultaneously, the most that occurs is the Internet speed slows down.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Littlefoot90

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://lbtwelt.npage.ch/
Hi
 I have an AMD Phenom X4 940 in the pc I can have the con 3400MHZ to 3000MHz overclocking.

Who do I make my pc more makes my action and more needs to be restarted!