The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

I have a recording question

vonboy · 14 · 1643

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
For something I'm planning, I was wanting to record the audio from other people who are talking on the GoF chatroom. The only problem is I can only get my own mic to record.

I'm using Audacity, and I can'[t figure out how to get it to record everyone else, and not just my mic. Is there some way to just make it record all the audio that's playing on my computer or something?

Thanks to anyone that has an answer ;)
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Why don't you check here and then here. That's the best I could come up with. It's not free though. Wait! You could also try this. There is a free version available on the page. It's lacking some features but the basics should let you record the conversations. Hope this helps.  :goodluck

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
I have a solution:

When you open Audacity, you should see a little drop down bar in the middle, probably with "Microphone" selected. Click the drop-down arrow, and you should get:

Wave Out Mix
Mono Out
Phone
Line In
Microphone
CD Player

The way I do it, I select "Wave Out Mix". Now, the program should record every sound that comes out your speaker, in relatively good quality.

Waluigifan

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.waluigi.de
I recommend the following programs:

No23 Recorder (classic!)
Power Sound Editor Free (indeed powerful, you can add effects, clean audio, cut audio etc. etc. etc.! However, in the free version, you can only save recorded audio to wave, but I think this isn't a problem since everyone here should have audio converters)

I would like to explain how to enable "StereoMix" (or Wave Out Mix), but unfortunately I have a German operating system and I don't know English words for "Systemsteuerung" etc. :(

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Justin, I don't think I could use that freeware software. It isn't giving me any options to just record audio. It's only recording video with audio included, so I'd need some other program to get the audio out of it >.< Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Allicloud, for some reason, I don't get that option in the drop down menu in Audacity. I only get "Microphone" and "Microsoft Sound Mapper". :/

Any idea whats going on there?

Thanks for trying guys :yes
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Click the little microphone over near the top right corner. Select 'Monitor Output'

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
what program are you talking about Justin? Sorry, just a little lost.
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Sorry for not specifying :bang . Going by your picture of Audacity, that little microphone near the right corner, that arrow will drop down to reveal recording options. There should be one that says monitor output.

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
yeah, it has start monitoring and stop monitoring in that drop down menu there. When I turn that on, the meter over it just shows how loud the recoding is.
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Hit the record button. If it's too loud, the meter next to the other microphone should be turned down.

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I don't see how that fixes my problem :/ I still can't get it to record anything other than my microphone.
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Strange. Because, when I record it, I can record all audio playing. I have a game open, Itunes, and WMP. It records all sound. Try unplugging the mic, and then recording. Let's see the outcome. I have a theory but let's try a test.

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Okay I finally fixed it! I had to go into the recording devices options on my computer, I had to find and enable "Stereo Mix". Now that option is in Audacity, and that appears to be recording all the audio that's supposed to come out of my speakers!

Thanks for all the help guys :)
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It's always an easy answer. Congratulations and good luck with your project. I'm going to go check it out.