The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Greatest Sacrafice

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Chapter: 9
Copyright: © characters and places by United Pictures; © Plot and OC by me

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Bron’s herd left the valley again, but without their leader. He and Shorty would stay with Littlefoot in the Great Valley. Life was slowly returning to normal and while Littlefoot still missed his grandmother terribly, he finally found joy in life again, much to the relief of his remaining family. Grandpa finally could sleep through the nights, though a permanent air of sadness seemed to have settled around him.
Outside of the Valley Red Claw began to encroach on the borders of what had once been his territory, but the two adults kept countering his every move. More than once their roars would be carried into the valley by the wind, making the dinosaurs there shiver in fear.
“Chomper ran off!” Ruby exclaimed one day as she joined their friends. “I can’t find him anywhere!”
The others helped her look, but she had been right: the young Sharptooth was not to be found. He had walked off into the Mysterious Beyond for some reason. Normally Littlefoot would have followed him immediately, but after what happened to his grandmother he was more reluctant than ever to risk someone.
Chomper meanwhile had indeed traveled out into the Mysterious Beyond. After hearing several roars he had decided that it simply couldn’t be coincidence that he thought each time it were his parents that challenged Red Claw and so he snuck through the desolate landscape to check.
His fine nose was leading him closer and closer to the place Grandma Longneck had died, but he ignored that. Or he tried too. As he came past the ravine, he froze, looking out over the small area. Several skeletons still rested on the ground, but their bones were too small to come from an adult Longneck. He steeled his nerves and walked past them, concentrating only on the scent-trail.
The trail led him away from the ravine and the Valley, deeper into the Mysterious Beyond.
Soon he heard voices, so he slowed down, sneaking closer. The voices stopped abruptly and he heard something big sniffing the air.
“Chomper?” His father was surprised when he recognized the smell of the one sneaking up on them. “Is that you?”
Chomper peeked around the boulder he was hiding behind, looking at the dark-green Sharptooth. Behind him was a younger female, shaded a very pale-green, looking at his father questioningly.
“Dad?” The young Sharptooth crept forward, revealing himself. Both stared at one another for a while until the older male chuckled.
“You have grown, son.” Rec approached his son. “I take it life in the Valley has not been too bad?”
“I missed you.” Chomper stated, briefly hugging his father’s foot. “But life in the Valley is not well.”
“Because of the Longneck?” The female asked, cautiously stepping forward.
“Chomper, this is your older sister White Star. We never got around to introducing her.” Rec told him at his questioning glance.
“Oh…” Chomper whispered. “Well…  Yes. Do you know what happened to her?”
The look that passed between the two was all the information he needed: they HAD carried her off.
“How could you?” He exploded. “You knew who she was and you still ate her!”
“Chomper...” His father reached out, only to back off when the small jaws snapped at his hand.
“How can I face Littlefoot knowing YOU ate her?” Chomper screamed, turning to run off.
“Chomper!” His father’s voice echoed after him, but the young Sharptooth only wanted to get away. How could he ever face Littlefoot after this? Or his other friends? Or Grandpa Longneck? How could his parents have done that to him? They KNEW who the old Longneck was.
Suddenly someone snatched him up and no matter how much he struggled, wouldn’t put him down. “Let me go!”
“And have you run into Red Claw or something like that? No way, brother.” White Star held him tightly. “I’d be a poor older sister if I did that.”
“You already are! You ate my best friend’s grandmother!” Chomper reached down, biting her fingers. She cried out in pain, dropping him to the ground. He did not look back to see how much damage he might have done, he only ran off again.
The ground thundered when his older sister took up the chase again, her longer legs allowing her to catch up with him soon.
“Brother.” She did not pick him up again, but she did block his path with her own body. “Please, give me a chance to explain.”
“No!” He managed to duck between her legs and this time she didn’t follow him.
“The Longneck lives!” Those three words made him stumble and he looked over his shoulder at her in shock. She did not move and her voice was soft. “We saved her, not ate her. Come with me, brother, and I’ll show you.”
He hesitated, before walking back to her. “Really?” He looked up at his sister with poorly concealed hope in his eyes. She nodded and turned to walk away, expecting him to follow her. He did.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Grandma Longneck was dozing in the cave, with one ear listening if the Sharpteeth were returning. Soon enough she heard footsteps, but there were smaller ones that did not fit any of the Sharpteeth she shared the cave with.
“Don’t worry, it’s me.” It was the voice of the younger female; White Star. The Sharptooth ducked inside the cave, closely followed by a smaller, grey one. Grandma immediately recognized him.
“Chomper?” She asked, surprised at his presence. He didn’t answer, only staring at her in shock.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Good one!

hmm, if the Gang would find Chomper they'd find Grandma as well..
Can't wait 'till the next one's out :lol:
Inactive, probably forever.

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, lucky you the next one will be out in less than 24 hours :p

But they'd first need to find him, ya know :DD

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Alas, poor Chomper...still, at least he knows Grandma Longneck's safe!

Looking forward to seeing the next one, but why do I get the feeling something's going to go pear-shaped...?

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Too bad he is the only one :p

Cause if it didn't there wouldn't be a series? :lol

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Chapter: 10

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

“You..? But...” Chomper found he couldn’t form a proper sentence, nearly hyperventilating when the message of his eyes reached his brain: Grandma Longneck lived and she was right in front of him to boot.
“Breathe, little one.” She suggested, smiling warmly as he did so and calmed considerably.
“How are you still alive?” He demanded when he regained his breath. “Those Fast Biters should have killed you.”
“And they nearly did.” Grandma Longneck stated. “Your parents’ intervention was barely on time. They still feared for the better part of last month that they’d have to explain to you that they had eaten me.”
“Oh yeah…”  Chomper frowned. “I might have accused my father of that already.” He felt extremely awkward and guilty about that now.
“As you can see that was an unfounded accusation.” She carefully rose to her feet. “But does you being here mean that the other children are here too? Is Littlefoot here?”
“No, I came out here alone.” Chomper gasped. “I have to tell the others, they think you’re dead!”
“No!” She stepped forward, grasping his tail in her teeth, gently lifting him away from the cave-entrance. “No, you won’t. I can’t allow you to tell anyone I’m here.”
“But Littlefoot…” He argued.
“Will have to stay in the dark for a little while longer.” She let go of his tail and lifted her head some to lessen the strain on her half-healed wounds. “If he finds out I’m still alive, he will want to come out here. Red Claw is challenging your parents every day now, it’d be too dangerous.”
“But he…” Chomper began again, before being cut off again.
“No. I want them to know I’m safe as much as you do, but I cannot risk their safety for a few weeks less mourning.” The look in the old one’s eyes spoke volumes: this was final. “You will not tell anyone a word about me being here.”
“As you wish.” The little Sharptooth relented, looking down in sadness.
“Tell me what happened after that incident in the ravine.” The female made herself comfortable again. “How did Grandpa and Littlefoot handle it?”
“Not good.” Chomper climbed on some rocks and sat down, his sister all but forgotten. She had left already anyway. “They were devastated by what happened.”
“I can imagine.” Her eyes grew sad. “And now? Are they better by now?”
“Bron came into the Valley a few weeks ago and he plans on staying. They’re recovering now.” Chomper assured her. “Although Grandpa Longneck has a permanent air of sadness around him.”
“He loves me dearly.” She agreed, looking up when she heard heavy footsteps approach the cave.
A light-green Sharptooth ducked inside. “White Star told me Chomper had arrived.” Tyra said.
“Mom!” Said young one exclaimed, rushing over. “I missed you.”
She lovingly scooped him up, nuzzling him. “I missed you too. But what was that about mouthing off your father she mentioned?”
“Being protective of his friend’s family.”
Chomper nearly lost his grip on his mother’s snout when he heard the voice coming from behind him. He looked back in shock.
“Since when do you speak Sharptooth?” He asked in surprise.
“Since I nearly died.” Grandma chuckled warmly, before gesturing to his mother with her head. “Go on, have a reunion with your family and ignore this old Longneck. I’m tired anyway.”

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

“I can’t find him anywhere.” The other children had overturned the Valley to try and see if Chomper was in it. Cera was resting in the shade of the tree, clearly exhausted. “He must have gone into the Mysterious Beyond. He can’t be anywhere else.”
“But why would he do that?” Shorty wondered. “Especially with not only Red Claw, but also that other family of Sharpteeth it’s far too dangerous out there.”
“I think…” Ducky hesitated. “I think he thinks those other Sharpteeth are his family. Yep yep yep.”
“What?” Littlefoot demanded. “Why would he think that?”
“I’m not sure, but he told me once.” Ducky nodded from where she was sitting on her adopted brother’s back.
“And what if they are not?” Ruby wondered. “Then he’ll be in danger!”
This was normally the time where Littlefoot would suggest they follow the young Sharptooth, but after what had happened to his grandmother he was wearier of the Mysterious Beyond than ever. But he was equally reluctant to alert the grown-ups since that would mean they’d have to leave the Valley to search for Chomper. And he knew his grandfather well enough to know that he’d go himself before sending someone else to look. Not to mention there was another problem…
“It’ll be impossible to catch up without knowing where exactly he went.” Littlefoot realized. “Even if we try to follow him, he could be anywhere by now.”
“So what do you suggest we do?” Cera snorted. “Wait?”
“That’s all we can do.” Ruby supported Littlefoot. “Chomper left before the Bright Circle rose, and it’s nearly gone by now. Who knows where he went.”
“Me no like this.” Petrie sighed.
“Me neither.” Littlefoot admitted. “But we’ll just have to wait until he comes back.”

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
So, they'll have to wait until Redclaw is dealt with? Well, I'd be interested to see how they do that...and if Littlefoot and the others venture after the lad despite their initial hesitation...

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Owww, no reunification yet? Well, Grandma has a point there :yes

Oh, and finally everyone of the Gang has been mentioned :DD

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Of course she has, her name is not Threehorn after all ( :lol )

Yeah, it's a bit hard getting so many characters some lime-light :p

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Chapter: 11

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Chomper snuggled close to his mother that night, resting against her head. It had been long after the Night Circle had risen that they finished talking. His father and sister had arrived shortly before the Bright Circle had set.
Chomper had apologized fearfully to his father, sagging in relief when the older male assured him he had not been upset about it considering it had been an understandable reaction.
The old longneck slept for most of the day, something which worried the young one somewhat. His father assured him she needed the rest.
“It was a big miracle that she survived those wounds to begin with.” Rec told his son. “It will take her quite some time to fully recover from them. Weeks at best.”
Tyra seemed to mull something over. Something had been bothering her ever since the Longneck had woken. But whenever someone asked, she denied that something was wrong.
“You know… I wondered about something.” White Star was resting next to her father. “Why is she the caretaker of that little Longneck? Where are his parents?” She asked, frowning a bit. “Just wondering, you know. After all, she is so old and that little one so young.”
“His mother is dead, his father was leading a herd and thought him lost too.”
Chomper told her. “His mother got killed by a Sharptooth.”
“Didn’t you say the Valley was safe?”
His mother demanded, shocked.
“She died before he came to the Valley.” Chomper assured her swiftly. “Long ago.”
“Must have been traumatizing.”
She faintly recalled him telling her about it in passing. “He must have been so young then.”
“Not to mention he got separated from all grown-ups at the same time.”
Chomper climbed on her foot. “He and the others had to get to the Valley on their own. Though he did mention something about his mother’s spirit guiding him.”
“What?”
White Star demanded, looking at him incredulously. Neither noticed their mother freezing in shock. Her eyes darted to the burnt remnant of a tree in front of their cave as she thought back to a storm about four weeks ago. The tree had thrown shadows that had not fitted. It had thrown Longneck-shadows. Could that have been the young Longneck’s mother helping the old female survive?
“Was she the child of her?” Tyra gestured to the sleeping Flattooth.
“Yes.” Chomper answered her. “Why?”
“I think she did not only help her son.”
His mother stated. “She…” She again gestured to the sleeping Longneck. “Should have died. Instead she lives. After I see a strange Longneck-shadow on the opposite canyon-wall.”
“You never mentioned that before.”
Rec frowned a bit. “When was this?”
“In the storm that burned that tree.”
Tyra gestured to the tree in question. “I thought it a trick of the light and the Sky Water, but now I’m not so sure anymore.”
“Nice to know that Flatteeth protect each other even after they die.”
Rec sighed. “Must I fear that every Longneck I eat will haunt me?”
“Rec, at times I want to bite you.”
Tyra sighed exasperated.
“You already did that once, remember?” He countered.
“Would you have preferred that Swimmer remained stuck on your nose?” She snarled. “I’m sure Chomper can convince her to latch on again.”
“First I’d have to convince the grown-ups to let you close.”
Their son pointed out.
“That does put a stop to that idea.” Tyra chuckled, her small child wobbling as the reverberations passed through her body. “What are you going to do now? Will you return to your friends, or will you stay?”
“I never really thought about that.”
Chomper admitted. “My friends must be worried that I just left. But I’m not sure I could keep quiet.”
“Think about it. You can’t leave now at any rate.”
Rec told him. “The Bright Circle has set and the closest entrance is too close to Red Claw’s domain.”

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

“Chomper is gone.” Littlefoot told his father and grandfather when he and Shorty arrived at their resting-place.
“Where?” Grandpa Longneck lowered his head to them.
“Into the Mysterious Beyond.” Shorty answered. “Apparently he thought those new Sharpteeth were his parents.”
“Did he now?” The face of the oldest Longneck hardened.
“Yes.” Littlefoot nodded. “I don’t know why though.”  He peeked up at his grandfather.
“Why don’t you go drink something, Papa Longneck.” Bron suggested. “You shouldn’t say things like that.” He told the two young ones when the older male had left. “It’ll only upset him for no reason.”
“Sorry.” Littlefoot looked down. “It’s just… I’m worried about Chomper. What if that weren’t his parents?”
“Then we can’t do anything.” Bron sighed. “We can’t just run after him. He is a crafty kid, if your stories are anything to go by. He’ll manage.” He nudged the two of them to the place where they slept. “Try to sleep some.”
“Ok.” The two boys curled around one another while their father remained up to wait for their grandfather. It took him the better part of the night to return and he was still tense.
He went to sleep without another word, but the frown remained on his face. Bron sighed, following him into the land of the Sleepstories.

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Chapter: 12

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Chomper did not return to the Valley from where-ever he had gone. For several days afterwards Petrie’s mother and several other fliers flew out over the Mysterious Beyond, but they found no trace of the young Sharptooth. This upset Littlefoot and his friends to no end, because they feared he had fallen victim to one of the grown-up Sharpteeth around the Valley. Especially Littlefoot took it hard, since that was just another loss on top of that of his Grandmother. He might have overcome it, but the memory still hurt, much like that of his mother. He did his best to not think about either of them much, but his Grandfather made that impossible in regards to his grandmother.
Outside the Great Wall the four Sharpteeth would still challenge one another, growing fiercer and more violent every time they met.
On one of the rare times the children ventured out into the Mysterious Beyond they saw that Red Claw had replaced Screech... by several other Fast Biters, each as much out for their blood as the one whose place they had taken. After that their parents all but forbid them from leaving the Valley. But none of them had any desire to go out there.
Despite the caution of the grown-ups to keep what secret passages there were secret, it would be inevitable that one of them would be found. Soon enough it indeed happened: one of Red Claw's Fast Biters found a way in near the border of Red Claw's territory. Almost immediately the Great Valley-residents found themselves under attack.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

“I don't think I could have stayed silent.” Chomper admitted to the old Longneck after a week or so when she asked why he had tarried so long with his parents. His parents and sister had went out to hunt... At least his mother and sister had, his father had traveled to the border with Red Claw's domain to protect their territory from him. “I would blurt it out the moment even a mention of you is made.”
“I can imagine.” Grandma Longneck looked at the entrance of the cave. “I can barely begin to imagine his pain.”
“He was broken.” Chomper agreed with her. “He still is.”
“He loved me for the better part of his life, just as I did him.” She lowered her head. “Being separated is a torture already. But believing the other dead? I do not want to imagine it.”
Chomper nodded. “How much longer do you think you'll need?”
“One or two days, according to your father.” The old Longneck looked at her nearly-healed wounds. “Until now, his word has proven true.”
Chomper nodded, looking at a scar on her neck. “You will look terrible once this is over.”
“I guess I'll have to be glad I survived at all.” She chuckled. “I heard what your mother said about a Longneck-shadow.”
“You think that really was your daughter?” Chomper gasped.
“Or one of my other children.” Grandma sighed. “Sadly, I outlived several of them. Or perhaps it really was coincidence. Who knows?”
“Who knows.” Chomper agreed. “We will never know.”
A tremor traveled through the earth, a deep roar echoing in the very stone around them.
“That's dad!” Chomper jumped up, running to the cave-entrance. Behind him the old Longneck rose to her feet, following him more slowly. From deeper into the Mysterious Beyond the two Sharpteeth-females answered, their voices echoing between the canyon-walls.
The old male was the first to arrive, shortly followed by the rest of the family.
“What is wrong?” Tyra demanded of her mate.
“Red Claw did not come today.”
He was panting, having run from the border all the way back. “I used one of the secret entrances: he is attacking the Valley with a dozen or so Fast Biters.”
“What?”
Grandma demanded. “Are you certain?”
“Who does have the better eyes here?”
Rec countered. “The Great Valley is under attack.”
“I cannot let them fight alone...”
Grandma breathed.
“What will we do?” White Star asked her parents. They looked from her to the Longneck to their son. Then they shared a quick glance.
“We'll help.” Her father stated. “Your brother's friends are in there. Besides, this will be the perfect opportunity to get rid of Red Claw. And I think we'd have a angry Longneck here if we decided any different.”
“I think it'd mostly be an absent one.”
Grandma assured him. “I know better than to pick a fight with three adult Sharpteeth.”
“Let's see if Red Claw agrees.”
Tyra shook her head. “I think asking you to stay here and out of trouble is an idle hope?”
“Definitely.”
Chomper told her. “I'm sure I can help somehow.”
“We'll see about that.”
His sister stated. “I just hope we are not too late.”
Grandma well remembered how Pterano had lost a small herd worth of Flatteeth to what he told them had only been 6 or 7 Fast Biters. That she had held out so long against the ones that had attacked her had been a sheer miracle, helped along with her size, which had protected her by making most vulnerable places hard to reach. Most Valley-residents did not have that advantage. Especially the children would be in danger.
“We’ll go on ahead.” Rec stated.   “Longnecks are not known for their speed.”
“I will find a way to make that a compliment.”
Grandma looked back at him. “And not hit you with my tail.”

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
REDCLAW :mad

If he dares to... :anger

Ah, I love those cliffhangers :smile Great chapter Sleepy (that's a cool nick, isn't it :P:)

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
He totes does, I am afraid :nyah

Yeah, many peeps call me that XD Guess Sleping-force's-inside IS a bit long :p

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Right! I'm back, so I can start this stuff!

Oh crud, it seems that things are getting tense, and it looks like Grandma is ready to make her big comeback. I suppose we'll have to wait and see how that goes. :lol: I think with Red Claw's attack, it might be a dramatic one. Bad Red Claw!  :anger

Ah, I also have the long username issue, resulting in the nicknames Rammy or SRFG. :p

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

Zimba

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I read this story on FanFiction so I know what happens,but no worry I won't spoil.

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Thank you both :p

Rammy? I am totes calling you THAT now :lol

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Quote from: Sleeping-force's-inside,Jul 25 2013 on  09:29 AM
Rammy? I am totes calling you THAT now :lol
Pfft, go ahead. :lol

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

Nahla

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
*So not the blame for the name Rammy*  :angel

Anyway  I love this story (I too read it on FanFiction)

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Why do peeps read stuff and never review :(

Well, than I'll call you Nana, Nahla :lol