The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Greatest Sacrafice

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Rating: T
Couples: none
Warnings: Blood, Character Death (Same level as first Movie)
Chapter: 1
Copyright: © characters and places by United Pictures; © Plot and OC by me

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

The earthshake had been minor, toppling only a few small trees which had quickly been cleaned up. But several of the entrances to the valley were only closed with heaps of rubble, so to ensure their safety, it was decided they should be checked up upon.
That is how Grandma Longneck found herself climbing up the path to the side of the valley where the Bright Circle touched down. She was not alone however: behind her trailed her grandson and one of his friends, the little Sharptooth named Chomper.
“What will we do when it is open?” Littlefoot asked, climbing up the path beside her. Chomper followed the young longneck. He had grown over time, now being nearly the height of Ruby.
“We will warn the others and close it.” She raised her neck, checking whether she could see the entrance already. “But it is unlikely it’ll come that far: the rock above is brittle and the slightest tremor can cause it to collapse.”
“Oh…” Littlefoot looked back into the valley, seeing the long neck of his grandfather in the distance.
“Oh dear…” His grandmother said, looking over some stones on the ground. It were strange stones unlike any he had seen ever before: they had a dark sand-color and there were imprints of shells on them.
“What are those?” Chomper picked one up, studying it.
“These are stones from the ravine we’re checking. If they are this far away it means that at least part of the blockade has collapsed.” The older longneck started walking again, this time a bit faster as before. “Quickly now.”
She gasped when she saw the ravine: the rubble had collapsed completely, while the surrounding rock had not, leaving a small hill even the clumsiest Dinosaur could climb across.
“Chomper, do you smell anything?” She looked down on the small Sharptooth who obediently scanned the air.
“No, nothing.” He said after a while. “But that only means there have been no Sharpteeth lately.”
“I understand. Both of you stay here, I’ll go and check.” Grandma Longneck carefully crossed the rubble, gingerly approaching the other end.
There was no sound, but that did not mean there were no dangers outside. Sharpteeth did not always roar before attacking. She steeled herself, stepping out into the Mysterious Beyond.
She looked around, each of her muscles tensed.
She whipped around at the sound of a hiss, her eyes widening when she saw Fast Biters.
“Children, run!” She called back through the ravine.
“Grandma!” Littlefoot answered her.
“Go, warn the others!” She had no time to check whether they had listened to her as more Fast Biters poured from between the surrounding rocks. She snarled as they started to screech at her, baring their teeth.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

The two boys ran as fast as they could down the mountain-side. Littlefoot all too well remembered the tone of voice his grandmother had used; he had heard it before when his mother had saved him and Cera from the Sharptooth which killed her. He did not want to draw any more parallels though: it simply couldn’t happen again.
“Grandpa!” The older longneck turned as he heard the desperate voice of his grandson.
“Littlefoot, what is it?” Grandpa Longneck lowered his head to face the two panting youngsters. He recalled that the two of them had joined Grandma Longneck and he was almost afraid to wonder why she wasn’t with them.
“Ravine open…” The boy panted. “Told us… to run…”
The old one looked up, feeling dread rise in his heart when he realized how far away he was from his mate.
Several other grown-ups joined him while Petrie’s mother flew ahead. Soon enough she returned, just as they were half-way up the mountain-side.
“There are about a dozen Fast Biters. She’s holding her own, but her strength is giving way.” The flyer flew over them, worry in her face. “We’ll have to hurry.”
The longneck’s face hardened as he sped up. He had a terrible feeling they would be too late.
“No!” He screamed as he saw the ravine. On the other side a longneck was balancing on her hind-legs, towering far above any other dinosaur. Her back was to him, but he could recognize her even in the dark: his mate. She turned her head to look at him, weakly smiling and allowed herself to lose her balance. Over 20 tons of massive muscle crashed against the side of the ravine. The Earthshake had not caused the walls to collapse, but the weight of the adult longneck most certainly did.
The last he saw of her was her body on the ground with Fast Biters approaching the unmoving longneck. Then there was only rubble and dust.

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Oh, suspense! *Le gasp* Nooo, Grandma! :o

Gotta say, I really love your style of writing. It really captures the reader's attention. I just hope Grandma... okay, I know what happens, but I won't spoil it. :p

Glad you decided to upload you fanfics here. :yes

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
In some situations bravery means to fight although there seems to be no hope but in other situations it's even more brave to sacrifice oneself for the good of the others. It seems that Grandma did the latter (I hope she survived this but the Fastbiters didn't). She's quite old so she isn't really 'needed' (in terms of life/The Great Circle of Life) anymore and she very likely wouldn't have fought them back into the Mysterious Beyond, anyway...

This chapter definitely catched my interest :) I'll follow this fanfiction ;)
I guess this is a strictly LBT fic (no humans, no supernatural things etc..), I prefer them over crossovers (e.g. LBT/Lion King or whatsoever) and fics that just have these non-LBT elements...
The chapter was exciting. However, I think you could've brought in more action instead of just 'narrating' from Littlefoot's view but that's just me :angel I enjoyed it. Good job!
Inactive, probably forever.

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
*pushes one of her stories out of Ducky123's reach cause of Humanity and Sci-fi and stuffs*

Oh, don't worry, there will be action later in this story and it's two sequels (and the two side-stories), I just didn't want to use all my fight-write-skills this early in the story. Also, it's Grandpa's view at the end there, not Littlefoot's ;)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
oh, right :D

I look forward to the action :lol

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Couples: none
Chapter: 2
Author's Note: Since I thought that one chapter a week is gonna take forever if I want to do all my stories, here the next one. I think one every few days is gonna be ok too :)

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Depression did not even begin to cover what Littlefoot felt that evening. He had been ushered back into the Valley by Mr. Threehorn while his grandfather remained behind at the ravine. Cera's father had been firm that he should give his grandfather some alone time: for a little while the pain the older longneck felt had to be dealt with alone.
Over the day Grandpa Longneck didn't move, seemingly frozen in time as the roars of the Sharpteeth quieted, leaving terrible silence in their wake.
Later that day Petrie's mother flew over the walls separating the Great Valley from the Mysterious Beyond. The news she carried to the other grown-ups was not good: the body had been dragged off by what seemed to be big Sharpteeth who had stolen the Fast Biters' kill. The only good news was that the death of Grandma Longneck had carried a terrible price for those same Fast Biters too: seven would not get up again and only two of those carried bite-marks.
It was late that night, when the Night Circle was high in the sky that the older longneck returned to his resting-spot. Littlefoot was still awake, having been unable to sleep after what had happened. Neither spoke as they laid down together, the child resting in the bend of the grown-up's neck.
"Grandpa?" The soft voice quivered with held-back tears.
"Yes, Littlefoot?" Profound sadness answered him as the massive head turned.
"I don't want to sleep." The little one confessed.
"Do you remember what Grandma did when I was ill?" Grandpa Longneck softly asked. "She sang you a lullaby, didn't she?"
"She did. About the Circle of Life." Littlefoot remembered it. "Why?"
"It's something of a family tradition to sing it when the time calls for it." A weak smile appeared on the older one's face. "While now would certainly be such a time, I want you to remember the message behind it instead. Can you do that for me?"
"The message behind it?" Littlefoot repeated.
"Yes." Grandpa Longneck nuzzled him.
"That… that these things are part of life?"
"Exactly." His grandfather nodded. "And while it will hurt terribly to lose someone we love, they never fully leave us as long as we remember them. So try to get some sleep. Remember how your grandmother lived, not how she died."
"I'll try…" Littlefoot curled up, snuggling against the massive body of his grandfather.
Grandpa Longneck stayed up all night, despite his advice to his grandson unable to banish the memories from his own mind. Instead he looked out over the Great Valley, trying to remember the good times he had had with her.
The Night Circle illuminated the landscape, throwing long and deep shadows in the surrounding forests. The far-away watering-holes sparkled in the in the silver light, the waves created by a soft breeze making intricate patterns on their surface.
He closed his eyes, thinking back to the days of their youth when neither yet knew the meaning of the word 'loss'. It was so long ago, but he remembered many days as if they were yesterday. He had been the member of a traveling herd when they had met. Both of them had just entered the Time of Great Growing as it was called and had just started to get interested in the other gender. He had felt so awkward around her!
A smile crept on his face, but at the same time a tear left his eye, dripping down on the ground. She had been lovely, her colors having dulled as she grew older. It was a beauty their daughter had inherited.
He sighed, recalling the day their first nest had hatched. Two boys had vied for their attention, until that fateful day. Their oldest had been much like Littlefoot was now, having the same pull for trouble. Sadly, on that day his parents had not been there to save him. He had strayed from the herd and a Sharptooth had put it to good use. He was dead before he knew what happened. Their other son had managed to reach old age and had long ago left for another herd when he fell in love with the herd-leader. He had visited at times, but with the changing outside-world those visits had become less and less. By now years had passed since he even had had news of his child.
Their second nest had been luckier: two girls – one of which had been Littlefoot's mother – and one boy had all survived until old age. Littlefoot's aunt had joined their older brother when he had visited once more and their youngest son had died early during the journey that would later take their remaining daughter.
He looked down on Littlefoot, noting the resemblance between him and his uncle. Now if the young longneck had been a bit more like his uncle personality-wise, he would not take a few years of his grandparents' life-span every week.
He chuckled softly, realizing full well that he wouldn't want Littlefoot to be any different than he was. Life would be terribly boring without the occasional clash with Sharpteeth for the boy's safety.
Wrong thought.
Pain laced through the old one's heart as his mind reminded him exactly why he was being awake instead of sleeping right now. Grandpa Longneck pressed his eyes shut, but the image of his falling mate did not disperse. Her smile when she had looked at him… it had been the kind of smile that said 'sorry about that one, forgive me?'
She shouldn't have been the one to ask that, he should have. He should have joined her. What had he been thinking anyway? He had once told Littlefoot Grandma had lost a significant amount of the strength she had had in her youth and he let her go into the Mysterious Beyond by herself! No, if anyone should have been begging for forgiveness it should have been him, never her. Never her…

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
RIP Grandma :cry

I wonder how Littlefoot will handle her death.
Nice to hear about other relatives of Littlefoot :)

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
*snerks her ass off in a dark corner of her topic*

Oh, you wanna know, do you? Well, let me tell you a secret... No, must not spoil, my precious... But Precious wants it... No, Precious, we musn't....

Nope, denied xD

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
NO SPOILERS :angel

You don't have to tell, anyway, since I'll see when the next chapter(s) is/are out :yes It was more of a rhetorical question I guess :P:

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Just read the first two chapters. They're both very good!  :lol:

Very sad too, but obviously that's the mark of a good writer.  :DD  I'm interested to see what will happen next, and its rather interesting that you should mention all of Grandpa's children, for reasons I shall not say... :blink:

At the same time, that mention was done very well, and the way you write it can make you see how Grandpa's family member's have just faded away before him. He now only has Littlefoot left... :cry

Keep writing! I may have to follow this on FF.net...

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Ohh why why why?! *sobs*
This was wonderful, terrible, awful, brillaint all at once. I need a breather!
Ohh, it's always so painful losing one of the canons. Grandma was a pivotal character, but she's in a btter place now.
I love your writing style, it's very to the point, and you've kept the characters'personalities very nicely :)
Look forward to more!
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Aww, poor Grandpa and Littlefoot. *pat pat*

Darn it, I just wanna hug them both now! :cry

Ah, tragedy, we've both gotta put Littlefoot's grandparents through it, haven't we? Looking forward to seeing more (well, reviewing it, seeing as I've already read it :p).

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Chapter: 3
Author's Note: Anyone who is going to/has read this over on FF.net, please no spoilering for those that want to read it on here, kay? :3 Reviews and Critisism is appreciated :D

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

The weather was mocking him Littlefoot decided. It was two days ago that his Grandmother had died, and ever since there had been nothing but sunshine, only a few tiny sky puffies floating overhead. A gentle breeze was all that disturbed the long grass. In other words, the weather was downright mocking him.
His friends tried to support him, but how could they know what he felt? He had lost his mother a few years prior and now had lost his mother-figure in pretty much the same way. He huffed, a few stray tears falling down his cheeks. Why did such things always happen to him?
His grandfather was gone most of the time, only returning to their resting-place to sleep. The older Longneck would spend the better part of the day just standing in front of the blocked-off ravine, not moving for hours. They rarely spoke to one another these days, each desperately trying to cope with the loss.
“Littlefoot?” The young Longneck turned at the voice. Mr. Threehorn was standing a short distance away, watching him with something like concern in his eyes. “You haven’t moved, have you?”
“Go away.” He didn’t care if his rudeness would call forth the famed temper of the Threehorn, all he wanted was to be left alone. Neither happened.
“You can’t remain here forever, you know.” A shadow fell over the young one. “Your friends worry about you.”
“Let them.” Littlefoot turns away from the grown-up.
“That’s a very wrong attitude.” Littlefoot heard a heavy body lay down. “Will you look at me, Littlefoot?”
Reluctantly the young one turned to look at the Threehorn beside him.
“Hiding here from those that care about you isn’t the way to deal with this, young one.”
“Why? I lost everything…” A sob nearly escaped his lips and he was surprised when he felt the gentle touch of a nuzzle on his back.
“You have your grandfather and father, even if he isn’t here at the moment, and your friends.”
“Grandpa is gone the entire time.” Littlefoot huffed. “He just stands at the ravine the entire time. He hasn’t talked to me in days.”
“Can you blame him? He lost the love of his live.” Mr. Threehorn said. “Do you recall when you all came here after the Great Earthshake?”
“Yes.” Littlefoot didn’t quite catch what he was trying to say, but went along anyway.
“Do you recall ever seeing Cera’s mother after you did?”
The young Longneck shook his head. He had not been paying that much attention to the Threehorn-family, to be honest, but now that he thought about it he really hadn’t seen her. Or Cera’s sisters for that matter.
“They were killed by Sharpteeth. I was heartbroken, the only thing driving me on was my pride which refused to allow me to give in to despair and just get myself killed too. Mind you, until Cera actually ran up to me I thought I had lost her too.”
“Why are you telling me this, Mr. Threehorn?” Littlefoot asked, looking up in the gray face of Cera’s father.
“Because I want you to understand WHY your grandfather is standing in front of that ravine the entire day.” He looked down in the brown eyes of the Longneck. “Imagine how much is needed to bring me down. Your grandfather is feeling that exact feeling right now.”
“But… aren’t that two different situations?” He meekly asked, growing unnerved under the scrutiny of the grown-up.
“What makes you think that?” Mr. Threehorn turned to look at the faraway silhouette of the older Longneck. “I think they are very much the same: I lost a mate and children back then and in a way, he lost a mate and child two days ago. And yes, I know your mother died years ago…” He cut off the little one who made to retaliate. “But you can’t tell me you didn’t draw the parallels between how she died and your grandmother did. Your grandfather drew those same parallels and now not only grieves for your grandmother, but also your mother. And right now that grief drowns out all other feelings he has.”  
At that, Littlefoot broke down. He cried and cried and his tears just wouldn’t stop. He didn’t notice how several other grown-ups arrived, having heard his wails off sorrow. The old Threehorn just shook his head at them, telling them silently to leave the young one be.
It was hours later that Littlefoot finally managed to calm down somewhat, having exhausted himself some time earlier.
“Feeling a bit better?” He asked when the little Longneck had grown completely silent. Littlefoot nodded meekly. “Good, now go to those friends of you. They might not know how you feel, but they can support you.”
“But Grandpa…”
“Let that be my problem for now.” The old Threehorn rose from the ground again. “I know what he is feeling right now and believe me, what he needs right now is a good kick against his hindquarters. I believe you’re too small for that though.”
Littlefoot nodded and walked off to find his friends.
“How did I become the grief-counselor of the Longnecks?” Topps sighed, looking up when he heard rustling leaves. Tria walked up to him, looking after the young Longneck as she did so.
“You said it yourself: you were pretty much in the same situation Grandpa Longneck is right now.” She rubbed her head against his lovingly. “You understand him, because quite frankly, under that tough exterior you are soft.”
“Am not.” Her mate exclaimed indignantly.
“Says the guy who was so flustered by simply seeing me he failed to see a big tree and ran it through with his horn.” She answered him dryly. “Not to mention being almost adorably awkward around me. And don’t you dare refute it: Cera will back me up on this.”
He grunted, before turning and walking away, grumbling under his breath. He heard her chuckle behind him as she watched him head to the ravine with every intention of beating sense into the head of the oldest Longneck in the valley, even if that meant literally beating him.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Interesting 'task' you gave Mr. Threehorn :lol

I do wonder myself why Grandpa would stand there the whole day  :unsure: Lotta work for Mr. Threehorn aka. grief-counselor of the Longnecks these days :smile

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ducky123,Jul 13 2013 on  12:17 PM
Interesting 'task' you gave Mr. Threehorn :lol

I do wonder myself why Grandpa would stand there the whole day  :unsure: Lotta work for Mr. Threehorn aka. grief-counselor of the Longnecks these days :smile
Well, the reasoning makes sense though, I guess?

Grandpa stands there in some sort of shock/grief thing, just like how humans would stand for hours at the grave of a loved one. Considering the length and depth of their love, I figured he'd do it a bit more than 'hours'...

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yes, the reasoning makes quite a lot sence :yes

I'm interested to see how the Gang will interact with Littlefoot.
Everyone interpretes the character's personalities, abilities, feelings, behavior etc. differently so I'm more than excited how you'll 'interprete' them :)

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Longneck grief-counsellor FTW!  :lol

And glad you included Topps this way - people need to understand his sensitive side...Tria's absolutely right!  :p  :yes

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Chapter: 4
Author’s note:
Italic is Sharptooth (the language) Also: Gonna update Chapters DAILY, so if you don’t come on daily, be prepared to have several chapters to read ;)

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

The young Sharptooth walked up to the cave in which she smelled her parents.
“It’s me, don’t bite.” She called out before entering. Her mother was resting on the ground, one red eye watching the cave-opening. Her father was standing deeper in the cave, his dark color making him hard to spot.
“Found anything?” He asked. His sharp teeth gleamed in what little light entered the dark cave as he talked.
She gestured down with her head to the branch she was carrying in her claws. “I was lucky a bit to the North.”
“I hope no one saw you?” Her mother rose from the ground, reaching to take the branch.
“No one. Most Sharpteeth stay clear of the area around the Valley. Red Claw’s stench fills the very ground.” The young Sharptooth looked up. She was about two thirds of her parents’ height and should have gone off alone. But with Red Claw loose in what the Flatteeth called the Mysterious Beyond even the bigger species of Sharpteeth followed the principle of safety in numbers and when she by chance had come upon her parents they had invited her to join them.
Her mother, a light-green Sharptooth, walked into the darkness of the cave with the branch, while her husband, a dark-green male, now took up guard at the entrance.
The young Sharptooth joined her mother, her own color even lighter than that of her mother, making her seem more white with a green tinge than anything else.
“But how can these help her?” She watched as her mother started to rip off leaves, carefully shredding them above the wounds of the female on the ground.
“They slow the bleeding.” Her mother answered, stopping ever so often to check her progress.
“I think she needs more than just a slowing of bleeding.” The daughter answered, the smell of blood clinging to the one her mother was tending.
“I know, but it is all we can do, since someone…” The older female pointedly glared at her mate. “Refuses to help.”
“It is useless; she is as good as gone.” He snarled back. “I still think it is a waste of time, and meat, to tend to someone in such a state.”
“Idiot.” His mate snarled. “A deal is a deal.”
“And I won’t back off.” He answered her. “If you need me, I’ll be hunting some dinner, since the biggest source of food we can find has to die first.”
As he left the cave his mate growled in frustration. “At times, I wonder why I mated with him. He is more thickheaded than a Threehorn.”
“Somewhere, he does have a point.” Her daughter pointed out. “You yourself admitted she is almost certainly done for.”
“Bite me.” Her mother answered. “Now go keep watch. If Red Claw finds us we’re all dinner.”

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

“Hey, Longneck.” Mr. Threehorn called out as he climbed up the rest of the way. The only acknowledgement he got from the older longneck was a short glance. “You do realize several days have passed?”
“Yes.” Well, at least Littlefoot’s grandfather was talking, Topps surmised. It could have been worse.
“Look, I am really bad at this and I used all my softness around your grandson, so I’ll be brief.” The Threehorn said. “Get your act together and get over it.”
The famed temper Littlefoot had not witnessed, despite having willfully called upon it, now released itself against the second-oldest resident in the Great Valley.
“What?” The old Longneck whipped around, glaring at the other male beside him.
“You heard me: she’s dead. Deal with it and get your ass back to your resting-grounds.” Mr. Threehorn stood his ground as the bigger male roared in anger.
“Don’t push me, Threehorn.” Grandpa Longneck gritted through his teeth. “I am not in the mood to deal with you.”
“Well, I’m not leaving until you get your act together.” Cera’s father stated, glaring just as much as Littlefoot’s father. “And that involves getting over it.”
“How dare…?”
“I know how you feel, remember? But unlike you, I could allow myself to wallow in self-pity. You can’t, so get over it.” He had called it a kick when talking to Littlefoot, but right now he was more like charging the older longneck. “Your grandson lost his mother-figure in pretty much the same way he did his mother. He needs someone of his family to be there for him. Right now, that means you. So don’t insult their memories by letting that kid fall into shadow. Before you know it, he no longer runs from Sharpteeth because he thinks it’s no use.” The gray face softened. “I do not tell you to forget her; I am reminding you that you should not forget her grandson. Your grandson, who needs his grandfather the most right now. His friends can support him in many ways, but not the ways he needs right now. Get your act together, before you also lose him.”
Anger made place to grief as the Longneck turned to look at the mount of rubble. “I loved her.”
“I do not doubt that.” The Threehorn answered softly. “But you are not proving that love by letting Littlefoot, who despite all his adventures is just shy of being a hatchling, try to deal with this alone. Did you know that until I talked to him he had not moved from your resting-grounds? He had not drunk or eaten ever since… well… you know…”
“He… had not?” Grandpa Longneck was shocked.
“Not a single leaf.” Mr. Threehorn nodded. “He needs you, Longneck.”
The massive body turned slowly. “Where is he?”
“Hopefully wherever his friends are.” Cera’s father gently nudged Littlefoot’s grandfather’s legs. “Go.”

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I wonder who those Sharpteeth are... I have a guess... but... I'll see anyway, sooner or later :P:

Topsy usually doesn't seem to care much about Longnecks but he oddly does in your fic :)

Grandpa is somewhat spooky  :blink:

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
*cough*

Perhaps he does, but he never saw reason to show it? *shrug*

Nope, he's heart-broken atm xD