The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ending of movie 8...tearjerking?

Guest · 9 · 1357

Bruton the Iguanodon

Does anyone actually find the ending of movie 8 tearjerking? Because I sure don't! I wouldn't even be asking this question if I hadn't seen this:

From TV tropes:

Only if this troper should be ashamed for choking up at "Family" in The Big Freeze. And then again at the end of the movie, where Mama Swimmer saves Spike from drowning in the icy water. If his cry of "Mama!" doesn't get me, the exchange that follows after ("You saved him!" "Of course I did, he's my boy") always does. Ahh, tearing up even now!

I personally didn't find the ending of movie 8 sad at all! Don't get me wrong, the part where Spike nearly drowns was one of the more intense moments in the sequels (although it was weird that they threw in him yelling "MAMA!", what's with that?), but seconds later everyone's all smiles (admittedly theat annoying Spiketail mom seemed kind of sad, but I don't even really like her) when he's saved and it's actually one of those "ends with everybody laughing" endings. A pretty cheerful and upbeat ending. Which works well, since 8 was a pretty mild film. I'm not gonna let this troper's opinion ever change my mind about that, nor will I let anyone else's.  ;)

Now the ending for movie 9, that one did get me choked up. It was really beautiful. And movie 10...let's just say that one was overdone and felt like they were trying to outdo the truly deserving ending of 9, which should have been the end of the whole f***ing series.

Movie 8 had a fairly cheery ending, though, which worked well, I thought---8 wasn't overall that  great a film (although certainly better then 11, as well as 10). It deserved a rather mild ending. Movie 7's was quite mystifying, I thought, which went well with the whole oddness of the film. And movie 11...movie 11 had an overdone, sickeningly happy ending to a sickeningly overdone film. But this is just me. What do you guys think?

Bruton the Iguanodon

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I'm not sure if I can call the ending of movie 8 tearjerking. It felt more happy to me, as I recall it. It's been a while since I watched the movie though.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I once watched LBT 8 in a very bad mood, which resulted in me crying. As some of you may know, I don't cry very often. Therefore according to my opinion that if watched by the right person or in the right mood, it could definitely be a tearjerker. I have not cried with any other Land Before Time movie (yes, not even the first), so I consider that slightly special to some extend.

LBTLover1

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pranksterclan.co.nr
It depends on the person.  If you are easily emotional, LBT 8 could have that impact on you.  If you're like me who don't cry at much (despite Mumbling's post, I cried at the first), then it probably won't have that effects

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Personally I always thought of LBT 8 as a movie that "could have been" really good if only they had worked a little more to tell a basically interesting story in a way that would have made it more exciting. I know there were some scenes (not so much the end as the singing of the song "Family") that were supposed to be tearjerkers and that probably were for someone "built closer to the water's edge" (someone who is crying more frequently).

Bruton the Iguanodon

I really wish I could change the title of this topic to, "Someone actually thinks the ending of movie 8 is tearjerking!!" I mean, god, even the thought of that quote:

Only if this troper should be ashamed for choking up at "Family" in The Big Freeze. And then again at the end of the movie, where Mama Swimmer saves Spike from drowning in the icy water. If his cry of "Mama!" doesn't get me, the exchange that follows after ("You saved him!" "Of course I did, he's my boy") always does. Ahh, tearing up even now!

I know I'm supposed to respect other peoples opinions, but I did [/I]not, I repeat not find movie 8's ending sad at all---I found it cheerful and upbeat, and I'm not gonna let anybody, I repeat, anybody, change my mind.  :!

Bruton the Iguanodon

And then again at the end of the movie, where Mama Swimmer saves Spike from drowning in the icy water. If his cry of "Mama!" doesn't get me, the exchange that follows after ("You saved him!" "Of course I did, he's my boy") always does. Ahh, tearing up even now!

I don't agree with this at all! I didn't find the end sad!! I found that to be a sudden scene of peril thrown in at the last moment that was quickly resolved, and the ending to be upbeat and happy.

Please tell me I can think this because I would like 2 keep thinking this!! I don't want to change the opinion I originally had!!!

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com