The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Cotopaxi

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I can't believe I didn't spot this before. I was looking at my wallpaper, which is of my favorite painting in the entire world, when I suddenly had a shocking revelation. Ever since I had first seen it many years ago, it always struck me as something familiar, like I'd seen the style done before. I HAD made the connection to the Land Before Time, but I thought it was more a similar style than anything else.

Then I took a look at the original Land Before Time movie poster, and then my wallpaper, and... Well...

This is 'Cotopaxi' by Fredrick Edwin Church, one of his most famous paintings and a famous piece of 'Hudson River School' style paintings in general:
http://www.thecityreview.com/church6.jpg

And for further reference, here's an oil painted version:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...dwin_Church.jpg

And this is the poster to the Land Before Time:
http://www.joblo.com/posters/images/full/1...ime-poster1.jpg

I don't think this was intentional, but it's still uncanny, isn't it?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Since Frederick Edwin Church Edwin Church died in 1900 it would be particularly uncanny if the intention had been on his side rather than the other way round ;)
Thing is that in the time of romanticism quite a few pictures were done which showed marvelous landscapes (and sometimes humans marveling at that marvel). There are other examples where one may see landscapes in pictures of that period reminiscent of some LBT landscapes. But it is certainly true in particular for the image you found, with the volcano and the river.

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Lol, I did mean on the poster's side. And I know it's probably just coincidence, but I thoughtbai'd share it out of interest anyway.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
It is :yes
I hope you didn't misunderstand the "...even more uncanny" line of mine as mockery. It was just meant as a little joke.
With the volcano errupting, and the deep canyon, and the water and the limited amount of plants in the picture there are some funny paralells indeed. Who knows, perhaps somebody involved in the desining of the movie poster had actually seen this picture (after all the movie itself doesn't provide one scene showing the same scenery). We don't know.

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Oh, I know what you meant :lol
I do love this painting. Like I said, it's my favorite. I've always admired how Church put such spirituality and awe in his landscape paintings. It's one of the reasons I love the land before time movies too: their back grounds and settings are gorgeous. I'd love to see this painting in real life: if I recall, it's in either Detroit or Chicago.

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
That painting is gorgeous! It wouldn't surprise me if it was used as an inspiration for the backgrounds of LBT; they have characteristics in common.

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
I don't know if that's a different Cotopaxi but I've actually been on the top of Cotopaxi in Ecuador XD it was so cold lol

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I wrote an essay on the poster in question. That's only tangentially related, but it certainly was a great poster to look at closely. So much is happening.

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I don't know if that's a different Cotopaxi but I've actually been on the top of Cotopaxi in Ecuador XD it was so cold lol

Wow, you've actually been there? You're right: that's the same Cotopaxi.

I wrote an essay on the poster in question. That's only tangentially related, but it certainly was a great poster to look at closely. So much is happening.

Excellent! What class was this for?

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Heh, I had socks on my hands and ate Doritos with my mom in the truck. It was strange being up there because it was so foggy but snowing and I could see the inclines of hte mountain going up and going down. The rest of my family went across a water chasm bridge (some people were actually canoing down there... so my brother said) and they went up to a building that was on the top of the mountain and they were given free cookies xD

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^ Wow! Awesome revelation! :DD
that is a beautifully frightening landscape! I'd love to take a crack at drawing that! *evil plotting*
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: StrutEggStealer,Feb 20 2013 on  03:38 PM
^ Wow! Awesome revelation! :DD
that is a beautifully frightening landscape! I'd love to take a crack at drawing that! *evil plotting*
Someone throw Strut a frikkin' pad and pencil here!