The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Just started getting into Doctor Who.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There are some stories they are redoing, that they call special editions.  & some of the stories that are missing episodes will have the 1 or 2 episodes animated.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Oh, yeah, the lost episodes. When I said "BBC" is making it hard for me, I was referring to price and availability.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I get my dvd's through either amazon or deepdiscount.

I started to rewatch all the classic dr who stories, though I stopped, deciding I want to wait till I get the Planet of Giants dvd then I can try to see if I still dislike the Sensorites, and I'll try the recon of Reign of terror.  Though I tend to not like historicals that are over 4 episodes in my limited trying of them.   Last year I have watched An Unearthly Child through The Aztecs, skipped over 3 stories, and watched Dalek Invasion of Earth and The Rescue. Once I get the Planet of Giants dvd I'll try watching reign of terror & the sensorites as well as planet of giants.   Then Pick up from the Romans and go forward.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
I looooooved the Sarah Jane Adventures. It was a nice way to see Sarah grow past her hurt of the Doctor leaving her behind and really starting up a life of her own. I actually find her a lot more visually appealing when she's older, for some reason O__O .
But seriously, you'd think they'd bring and umbrella or rain coat they next time they explode a Slitheen :lol .

When it comes to classic episodes, or episodes that are outright unavailable, I watch them on Dailymotion.

The Aztecs is one of my favorites to watch on Netflix, especially as the start of "Don't **** with time!" stuff. I'd really like to see more episodes that were like that, where they just skip out on the sci-fi and go straight to history. They had a nice touch...though, the Reign of Terror one was a bit tedious to watch, especially since half of it was spent with the Doctor strolling through the countryside to get to Paris. It was fun to riff though.

My biggest problem with the classic series is the name of the villain in Androids of Tara. "Count Grendel"...SERIOUSLY, TERRY NATION!? Those two names/words sound evil enough, but when you put them together, it sounds goofy! I wouldn't have been surprised if Sir Beowulf stormed in!

I also listened to one of the 8th Doctor audio plays, Dark Eyes. It was really neat. His temporary companion was pretty neat. "Tardi-box" was what she called the TARDIS...and it was awesome with her Irish accent.
Dark Eyes is one I'd seriously recommend, but you'd have to actually buy it.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Big Finish has a lot of audios featuring the 5-8th doctors.  Tom Baker has had no interest in them till very recently.  They also do what they call companion chronicles with I think has 1-2 companions, for the first 3 doctor's companions.  

Good to see the 2nd attempt at Giving Sarah Jane Smith a spin off series work.  The first attempt called K9 & company wasn't very popular.  

I watched Loose Cannons recon of Marco Polo,that was hard to sit through, though they had the sound track, and had hand colored all the pictures so it was in color.  Though I did like their reconstruction of Galaxy 4.  The Under Water Menace, which Loose Cannon also did a recon was, was fun to watch, in the same way Horns of the Nimon and MST3k is fun to watch. The bad guy is so over the top, to me at least.  ANd the Nimon, funny.  I recall when I saw them as a kid/teen I expected them to start dancing ballet any second.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
DailyMotion doesn't work that well for me, I'm afraid, and I don't have a lot of money to go throwing at Amazon. Most of the Doctor Who DVDs I have came from last Christmas.

I'm really thinking of giving Big Finish a try, because I do want to see more of The 8th Doctor.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
If you don't mind watching online flash animation the bbc did do a flash animated 8th doctor story.  It also has the 2nd Romana and K9 in it.  They rewrote the original 4th dr story that was never finished due to a strike at the bbc.  I recall liking it.  

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/webcasts/shada/

There is also one they did that stars the 6th doctor, Real Time: http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/webcasts/realtime/