The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Brave

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
I am going to watch the heck out of this movie when it comes out.  This is honestly the first movie in a long time that looks really great to me.  It has Celtic themes and archery, which are two things that I am interested in!   :DD
There have been a lot of people who don't like the way the main character (Merida) looks, but I have to say that I don't agree with them.  I'm kinda glad that she looks different than past Disney/Pixar characters.  

Is anyone else planning on seeing this too?

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yes, I am, becase I always go to opening day of Pixar films every year. That's a tradition I've been keeping ever since Cars... though I don't actually remember if I did it that year or not. Definitely with Ratatouille. So yes, I shall be seeing this. :)

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
I think this looks pretty interesting too, and since it's pixar I will end up watching it one way or another. The trailer that I saw at the cinema didn't really give much away about the storyline though, so I'll need to read up more about it.

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Saw the movie today, and it was good, a very good movie indeed, one of the better movies this year, that's for sure.....though still doesn't pale in comparison with The Avengers :p

But yeah, all in all, another job well done by Pixar ^^

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'd like to see it, though I still have to convince my friend to come with me to a pixar movie (he's not too fond of CGI animation).

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Might I ask you guys too if anyone here sees it, if they also were shown La Luna before the movie starts? It was a short that played before the movie over here anyway.....and by jolly was it....boring.  Seriously, while in the end, the short wasn't too bad, it was just too boring for my tastes and it just dragged on....

I saw that Toy Story short before a movie....which I think was The Muppets, but I can't recall if it was that movie or a different movie and that one was a good one.  But La Luna...ugh....

Okay, that's my complaining out of the way XD

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I just hope this movie doesn't fall into too many woman warrior cliches. I'm really hoping that Brave has a soft, feminine to her, too, because that'd at least be a well-rounded personality.
And no, I'm not being sexist. I just don't see 'being feminine' as a weakness in a woman.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
I watched the midnight premier, and BOY, it was not what I expected! Certainly not a "warrior woman" film, but more of a "coming of age/making up with parent" movie.
And I thought La Luna was pretty cute.

However...I struggled to find any references from any of the other Pixar films. Yeah, John Ratzengurg was there, but it was really hard to recognize him using a Scottish accent.

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
I actually saw this on Friday, but it's took me this long to post because I was recovering from the collective awesome between this and the Legend of Korra finale.   :D
I really like this movie! I'm going to see it again sometime soon.  

However, I made a big mistake.
I let what other people were writing about it on other sites get to me.  I really shouldn't have done that.   :bang Oh well.  
La Luna was cute, but that's all I can say about it. Just kinda cute.  

@WeirdRaptor: I never really thought that Merida was especially "un"feminine.  She has a soft spot for her brothers anyway.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
I liked her trying to make a deal with them to help her and lets them have her deserts for a year! It was funny how they never spoke, but you knew just what they were thinking/saying.

But yeah, she was not a warrior woman stereotype. She was just a frustrated mess this time around and realizes it!

EggStealerGirl

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://rosethethief.deviantart.com/
I personally liked it, even if it wasn't as groundbreaking as most of Pixar's films. :)

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I think the movie really pulled together in the climax, but outside of that it was surprisingly average. I was not expecting one simple plot twist to be the center conflict of the film, as everything before it centered on something completely different. I guess it was just a plot device to make her to do those things.

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I got this out on DVD and I absolutely loved it^^ and I was speaking with a Scottish accent for the rest of the day. It was so whimsical and so unlike anything I expected, full of legend and finding destinies and I was practically on the floor laughing from her brothers and all the clan's mishaps^^

I also liked how Merida and her mother came closer together through the movie. I genuinely felt for Merida, as I'm going through something like that myself (:p) but it was fun and heartwarming to see them accepting each other again and breaking tradition.

The bear hunt in the castle was hilarious XDD
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
Thought that I would mention that Brave won in the animated category at the Oscars.

I was actually kinda hoping that Wreck-it-Ralph would win, but it's completely unsurprising that Brave did. I mean, I still like Brave, but I would be lying if I said it was perfect. I guess I was just expecting some more "epic questing" type of plots than what was in the movie. Maybe my expectations were too high.

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^ From what I've heard, WIR wasn't that bad of a movie, and was expected to win an award this year - in fact, someone I know said she is not going to watch the Oscars anymore just for not awarding WIR!
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
Oh don't get me wrong; I loved WIR and wanted it to win, it's just that I knew that Brave would win (cuz it's Pixar and they can do no wrong according to the film critics :rolleyes: ). But I just don't care about the award ceremonies that much.

So to wrap up; I liked both Brave and WIR, but I liked WIR more in the end.  :)