The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Tria

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
To make a long review short:

Tria isn't one of my favorite characters; But I gotta tell you guys, I think it's great to finally see someone ordering Topsy around. :lol

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I do find myself liking Tria, if only because she seems like the perfect match for Cera's Dad.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm not sure of the 12-up movies, but in the tv series she's not around a lot so she's not over used and to me is an interesting character if used a bit here and there.  Some characters can be used to much in some movies and tv series.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
Quote from: jedi472,Jun 28 2008 on  07:01 PM
I do find myself liking Tria, if only because she seems like the perfect match for Cera's Dad.
Well... Tria does complement Tops in many ways, if only because she is so much his opposite. She's far kinder than he is, is far less active (in two of the episodes in which she is featured, she is shown lying down much of the time), and is almost stereotypical in that she is a pink female character who is much weaker than the males of her species and needs protection by the much stronger Alpha male (this is still accurate in that bulls are stronger than cows...)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Tria's strength level is likely like that of an average modern human, they don't do many, if anything strenuous.  Threehorn is more like someone who grew up on a farm or ranch in the 1960's or before, who did have to do some strenuous things from time to time so has more strength then the average person & continues to do things like pushing around large fallen trees and the like, whereas Tria likely never did things like that.  Cera who has had to help her dad will likely grow up to be pretty strong compared to Tria.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Well... we don't know what Tria's earlier life was like... she arrived in the Great Valley around the time of movie 8 (Tops says so in movie 11)... either way, we do know that she is still not as strong as Tops... which is typical... I don't imagine that females are as strong as their male counterparts in most land-dwelling vertebrate species, especially mammals and most reptiles... Either way, Tria is still probably much, much stronger than an average human would be, but Tops is maybe twice as strong as THAT. Either way, I might be going off an a tangent...

Something tells me that Tria was designed as a significantly more feminine female dinosaur that the other females in the series. She is currently the only known female dinosaur of breeding age who lives with a mate (Littlefoot's mother, Petrie's mother, Ducky's mother, Ali's mother, that mother Sauropod from movie nine, and Tippy's mother are all shown to be single) and that she is weak (she is unsure of her ability to fight a much smaller raptor and from the look on her face in movie 11 it appears that she thinks she cannot win in a fight.)  and needs his protection (Tops even says so). She also becomes a mother in just one film after meeting Tops (you can fill in the blanks yourself), and she is shown collecting gems, relaxing in the mud, resting a lot... you get the idea... and she's colored pink...

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You're right about Tria's history being unknown.  If I recall correctly, Mr. Threehorn tells Cera in LBT XI that Tria "has nobody."  If this is the case, she has no family and most likely wandered by herself.  In regards to threehorns, I read somewhere a while back that there is growing evidence they lived as single families, not herds :huh:.  This means that, if Tria was all by herself, she would've had to know how to get away from sharpteeth without risking defeat by standing up to a pack of them by herself.  That would be stupid and suicidal :slap.  It is also mentioned by Noname about her becoming a mother in the next film.  Nobody knows exactly how long of a time period took place in between the storylines except for Universal itself.  The ending of XI, with the treesweets having grown back, may imply that at least one cold time passed, which means that perhaps these two "dated" for at least a year.  This would be ample time for dinosaurs to, well, ya know what I mean :rolleyes:.  Lastly, in the case of her being less weak than Mr. Threehorn, it is natural for females to be weaker than males.  However, building one's own strength can turn the tables.  Mr. Threehorn seems to have been raised to be a fighter, and therefore is physically built for it.  Tria, meanwhile, was most likely sheltered in her childhood.  If she ever does kick the crap out of a sharptooth, it would most likely be due to her maternal instinct kicking in.  Aside from that, she does seem rather uncertain about her fighting abilities.  Even though she, like myself, may be able to fight off an assailant, there is that fear or uncertainty of one's fighting abilities.  One of the most important lessons I learned in martial arts is to never fight unless one is sure they can win, and to never get overconfident.  Tria is more likely using her common sense when it comes to fighting.  Mr. Threehorn, on the other hand, does not seem to live up to that lesson :rolleyes:.  Then again, he is needed to help defend the valley against invaders.  Well, I'd better end this post before I "talk" everyone's ears off :bang.  In any case, I do love Tria's personality, and she is a good sort to have around(especially for Cera, who will need a female mentor soon ;)).

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The scene at the end of the 11th movie may have happened before 12, or during or after it.  It is hard to say.  They would not put it in another movie since folks who saw that and didn't see 11 would wonder what was going on, and those who knew would ask, why didn't they just put the scene in 11, since it shows the end of one of the plots of 11.  

As for her being alone her parents may have died and instead of wondering alone, which she may have done, she may have also been traveling with some far walking herd and decided to stay in the Great Valley when she saw how great it was and how she may not have liked traveling around and with no sharpteeth in the great valley would be a huge plus.

She likely had a more normal sort of life some would say, instead of pushing around fallen trees and other things that mr threehorn is seen doing, also not to mention her being female and he a male.  With Cera helping her dad, I would guess when she is Tria's age she'll be stronger then Tria is now, though not as strong as a brother of her same age would be, if she had one.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I noticed something about Tria; she's the only female mother-type character who is shown to need protection. Petrie and Ducky's mothers have survived all sorts of things without having any mate present... then again, Petrie's mother can fly away if there is danger, and Ducky's mother could head for the water and swim to safety. I suppose Tria, who lacks wings or webbed feet could not escape danger so easily...

The only other female in the series who probably needed protection from a mate was Littlefoot's mother; had Bron been there, she would likely have not been killed by that Tyrannosaurus. In either case, such an event is unlikely to happen to Tria as long as Tops is around...

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes, I assume Tria came to the great valley with some herd of far walkers who we didn't see arrive since it wasn't part of the plot, and makes for less to animate too.  

As for Ducky, I assume her father is around. He's been in some cameo shots, but isn't drawn much maybe to cut down on animating characters. I also assume they keep in grandma longneck since that would mean littlefoot lost 2 parental figures instead of 1.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Good point; Littlefoot's grandmother also seems to need protection from predators; Littlefoot's grandfather even says that his wife (mate?) was not as strong as she once was, and that if he should die, that in order for them to be protected, they would have to have gone with Ali's herd... of course, he lived... and it was implied that Littlefoot's grandmother needed protection due to her age more than anything else...

...which is not the case for Tria, who needs protection because she is a female and thus has a weaker body (and smaller horns than the males, as we can see.) Yes, I know, we've beaten this point to death... Tops must be like three times as strong as Tria is; he can throw a raptor of the same size farther with his head alone than Tria can with her entire body ramming it...

rosie

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I find her very motherly and protective.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That she is... which makes sense, as she has a daughter and a step-daughter...

EDIT: Yes, Tria is in many ways to opposite, and thus, the complement of Tops... Tria may be more pleasant to be around when things are peaceful, but when there's danger, it is generally better to be around Tops. Tria would be more in place in times of peace and safety; she seems to want to relax and make everyone feel good... this way of living is considerably less important during times of danger, in which one would need strictness and austerity, which Tops has in abundance... In more ways than one, he DOES give her the little protective "bubble" for her to relax in; had she tried to relax in that mud pool during a predator attack, she would be in serious trouble very quickly...

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
And as for how the children don't know about the "birds and the bees", well... it is easy to imagine the adults going to a cave at night to "do it"...

Drake

• Ducky
    • View Profile
The kids may very well already know about the birds and the bees, it just hasn't been shown in the films, for obvious reasons.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: Spartanguy88,Jun 28 2008 on  11:43 AM
To make a long review short:

Tria isn't one of my favorite characters; But I gotta tell you guys, I think it's great to finally see someone ordering Topsy around. :lol
Tria doesn't boss Topsy around; the closest thing is that she managed to get him to sleep in an area which would make him fall of off a cliff...but this was only done in order to prevent him from crushing their egg... Otherwise, she appears totally submissive to him...

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
The kids may very well already know about the birds and the bees, it just hasn't been shown in the films, for obvious reasons.
Usually I would agree and question whether or not LBT dinosaurs share human prudery.
However, there are two scenes which strongly indicate that Littlefoot at least has no ideas about the birds and bees making it unlikely that any of the others does. In LBT 2 we see how embarrassed Littlefoot's grandparent's are when he is asking them about babies and they surely seem to have expected different kinds of questions. In LBT 10 we learn that Littlefoot didn't even know he had a dad (suggesting that he doesn't know it takes two, a male and a female, to have kids). Littlefoot's question to Cera if Tria was to be her new mother in LBT 11 may be interpreted in a similar way.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
They may know that the mother lays the eggs, but they may think the father is just some male close friend of the mother who helps her raise her kids instead of knowing that it takes 2 for the mother to be able to lay eggs that hatch into hatchlings.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That might be so, but then again, Cera seems to know that she is related to her father, and that he isn't just some guy who was the friend of his mother.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
She did spend some time with her family before she was separated from them so she may have been told some things, as kids are if they ask, or between movies.   Likely the same sort of thing a young kid may be told if they ask their father or parents.