The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ducky

Petrie. · 91 · 15037

ZENUS-X

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Dacky is my favorite character. She is very lovely, kind, and her words "yep yep yep" cause the big affection :rolleyes: But sometimes her children's naivety is excessive and irritates. But she is child, and it is pardonable. When i have read here about what Ducky has done in serail i have not believed my eyes. I shall see this episod on Yotube Necessarily. Perhaps character of Ducky develops and becomes not such nurseries? Though it  is only my assumption. In any case nothing is faultless, but at least Ducky is more faultless in comparison by others.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Very wise and smart for one so young, also the rational one of the gang, always wanting to do the right thing. Her speech patterns are a bit annoying, but that's what makes her a unique and interesting character.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Very wise and smart for one so young, also the rational one of the gang, always wanting to do the right thing.
The rational one? I am not sure I would agree with that one. Personally I perceive Ducky as much more of an emotional character than a rationalist. The two don't exclude each other of course but when a decision between what is rationally / morally the right thing to do (can't think of a good LBT example right now) Ducky is the one I would consider very likely to go for the moral one, in spite of the one episode which showed her other side (an episode I have yet to review (same as many others, but at the moment I really don't find the time and leisure)).

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Befriending a lonely Littlefoot because he looked utterly miserable staring down into the water in the original movie could be a good start to go on, Malte (I'm just throwing it out there).
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That does sound like a good starting spot, and it is a very touching scene, to me at least.  Followed by a funny scene.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
in spite of the one episode which showed her other side

Would that be the shiny stones one?

Another emotional desicion was her lashing out at Spike in LBT 8. Had she used rationalization, she would have realized that trying to compete was Trippy (was that his name?) was illogical, since they both could be Spike's friend. (Then she could go out and nerve pinch somebody)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The sky color stones episode.  

And Cera did tell her to remain angry till they groveled.

buffypii

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/buffypii
Ducky is def one of my fav characters. She's got such a personality. She's always there to help others. She gladly welcomes new dinos into her life. She's an awesome sissy to her siblings and she's the best sister Spike could ever have..
And her voice is something special too.. I love the way she speaks. It's just so cute!!
She's definetly a cutie!!!

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm still having a hard time getting over the fact of how brave Ducky is.  If she keeps it up, who knows what she'll be able to do once she's all grown up? :)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
She's an awesome sissy to her siblings and she's the best sister Spike could ever have..
Ducky's relationship towards her siblings is actually one thing we learn very, very little about. There is never a speaking sibling of Ducky (referring to the other duckbills, not to Spike). From what little we see of Ducky's siblings in the original movie and LBT 8 it is likely that they get along very well, but I sometimes wonder if there is a chance that her siblings sometimes take it awry that Ducky almost exclusively hangs out with her friends, but hardly ever with them. I thought about one story involving a practically identical looking sibling of Ducky. I think Ducky's family offers a lot of potential for (a) further LBT story(s).

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
True, that is one of the reasons I made up Diver as a sister of Ducky's, that and I got the idea from the family song and how often her siblings look exactly like her in some shots.  

I assume she spends time playing with her siblings, but it's kept mainly offscreen except for brief scenes, about the same as the appearances of Ducky's father.  Though he may spend some time off doing other things as well.   Though in Diver's case she has friends she hangs out with as well, and some of Ducky's other siblings may as well.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Jul 11 2008 on  09:02 AM
I'm still having a hard time getting over the fact of how brave Ducky is.  If she keeps it up, who knows what she'll be able to do once she's all grown up? :)
Well, sometimes even the smallest folk can be the most courageous.  In addition, she seems to love her friends very much and would do anything to ensure their well-being is optimal :^.^:.  As for the part of when she's grown up, perhaps she will know some sweet kung fu and be able to team up with Cera to knock the sharpteeth into the next galaxy :wow.  

Ducky:  Alright, clear the valley!  Here comes kung fu Ducky!  Hiiyahh! (POW) Grrrr! (CRACK).  

(The fight goes on until the shaprteeth dash off screaming like little girls).

Ducky(to Cera):  We did it, yep yep yep!  Cera, high-tail! (The two "high-five" with their tails)

Sorry, I could not contain my random humor :bang.  The whole "high-tail" sequence is inspired from TMNT III, just so y'all know :lol.  Hey!  I could have included gopher-chucks; only gophers did not exist yet B).

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
Ducky isn't a fighter, and neither is her mother... if danger showed up, I'm sure that she would simply run for the water and swim away, even when is an adult... still... kung-fu Ducky sounds funny...

Adult Kung-fu Ducky: (wears a black belt) All those fans who made fun of me for having big feet will live to regret their words, yup, yup, yup! (kung-fu kick!)

Seriously, though, it is hard to imagine Ducky growing up to be anything but a mother who is at least as good as the one who is raising her in the films...

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Quote from: Noname,Jul 14 2008 on  11:49 AM
still... kung-fu Ducky sounds funny...

Adult Kung-fu Ducky: (wears a black belt) All those fans who made fun of me for having big feet will live to regret their words, yup, yup, yup! (kung-fu kick!)
KUNG FU ACTION DUCKY!!!  :lol

Hm, what do I think about this character...well...first of all, she's definitely not one of my top favorites, but I do like her better than Little Foot and Cera. She seems to cast the role as the "underdog", like Petrie. However, her naiveness and her cute personality may come across as her being that "damsel in distress" I mean seriously, think about the times in the sequels where Ducky is almost always in trouble such as the fourth sequel when Ichy and Dill try to capture her and Pterano, Sierra, and Rinkus abduct her in the seventh sequel.  The damsel in distress thing is basically the reason why I don't care for her that much :p and her "yep, yep" thing can get a little old :p

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
She is the smallest female and females have the roles of damsel very often.  Harder for Petrie to fit the role since he is a male and can often fly away unless someone ties him up or something & for Cera to be taken captive and be the damsel who needs rescuing would require several folks and they'd have to be rather strong since she is pretty large and likely to fight and her hits will hurt, unlike if Ducky hits or punches someone.  Ruby is in a similar situation, due to her size her punches would hurt more then ducky's and since she is larger someone has to be strong enough to carry her away or have several folks do that.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
Well, unless there is water for her to swim away in, Ducky is indeed nearly helpless to move very fast and she cannot really fight... Ruby can run, Pertie can fly Cera can fight (as can the boys), but Ducky is far less mobile on the ground; she even rides on Spike because she is better designed for swimming than for walking long distances (that's why she has large, webbed feet and a tail.)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It is true that of the LBT characters Ducky seems to be the most likely to end up in the role of the "damsel in distress". However, they did pretty well in not turning her into a crying, helpless, dependent, desperate creature in LBT 7. She acted in a quite self confident manner there and escaped from the flyers twice without the direct support of her friends. Ducky might also be quite suited to kill captors through kindness so to speak, that is making it impossible for any but the most vicious villain to really do her any harm (who is capturing whom?) :lol
In case of Cera the situation might well be similar. One of the stories I have in mind (and which got sort of debased through the introduction of the Tinysauruses in LBT 11) includes the capture of the LBT characters through a tribe of tiny (little larger than Ducky) Sharpteeth who live hidden in one corner of the Great Valley and pose no real thread to the dinosaurs (very much like Chomper) but whose discovery would probably result in them being chased away (at best) by the grownups. In any case I imagined Cera's capture to be rather ambiguous as for who captured whom there ;)

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Quote from: Noname,Jul 14 2008 on  02:49 PM
Ducky isn't a fighter, and neither is her mother. [...]

Seriously, though, it is hard to imagine Ducky growing up to be anything but a mother who is at least as good as the one who is raising her in the films...
Oops. Subversion in Twilight Valley! Every character gets in on the action... even Ducky! Yep, yep, yep!  

Only thing weirder than Kung Fu Ducky is...

Ducky's mother as an Escrima fighter and Ducky as a "Krav Dino" fighter! (See Twilight Valley <link in my sig> for more details)

Seriously though, as much as I think "damsel in distress" is a MAJORLY overused trope, if you have to use that trope, Ducky is perfect.

Cera can't serve that role. She could serve as the "woman warrior" trope. She's quite strong and a dangerous foe against enemies her size. Horn + body part = bad.

Petrie can't serve that role. He's male and is flight-capable.

Ruby can't serve that role (as Kor pointed out, she'd probably punch out her captor! :lol )

At least in LBT 7, Ducky was capable of escaping her captors without assistance (temporarly at least).

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
She is smart, and being small does have good points.  I'm just glad they do not use the damsel in distress to often as so many others do.  It's a very easy plot that writers can do who either do not have the talent or are to lazy to come up with another plot.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There is at least one case though (Cave of the many Voices) where Ducky is the one saving the others from distress. I agree that more could be done though to make her more than a lovely victim all the time, but I think they are on a right track (e.g. Search for the Sky Color Stones) in making Ducky a bit more complex.

As for "warriors" I really doubt such a motif in the context of the land before time. Unlike humans I take it that most of the dinosaurs fight if they have no alternative and not because they love to fight and cause pain. Of course one might hold Hyp's behavior against this, but I think that was more of bully's brawling rather than anything even remotely connected with human concepts of warfare. I know I belong to a minority with this opinion, but I think that something like a "military tradition" would really spoil the Great Valley rotten.