The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Sony's New PlayStation Has Ads

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, this bit of news will keep me away from the next Playstation.  Apparently, when playing a game on the Playstation 4, you will get interrupted with ads.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/...-Games-With-Ads

Yeah, I'm staying away from the next one.

Nintendo, you are still looking like a win for the next generation.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I keep imagining Nintendo going along with this and putting ads in their games too. I can see it now. I'd be playing, oh say, a new Mario game, and all of a sudden I am interrupted to watch some commercial about a new shampoo.

But all kidding aside, this might not go very far. If there's enough protest, Sony could remove the ads, either before or after launch. Or maybe there'll be an option to turn off the ads or something.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The article indicates that it's not just game consoles, but DVD players, computers, and televisions.  Televisions?  Really?  Don't we have enough commercials on TV as it is?  

As for commercials during games, I don't see how that's gonna work anyway.  I mean, unless you're connected to the internet they have no way of getting the commercials to you.  I don't do online gaming so I'm not really worried.  What I'm concerned about is them shoving commercials down my throat while I'm just using my computer, whether I''m surfing the internet or just playing solitaire on the desktop.  That's bullcrap.  I already pay for internet service so there is no need for these advertisements.  

Also, if they put these ads in online game servers, it should only be for people who don't want to pay to use those servers.  Nobody should have to pay to use gaming servers and then be forced to sit through commercials on top of that.  The commercials would be a nice alternative to people who don't want to pay.  

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Well I'm getting really annoyed with consoles these days. So if this happens then I could always move to PC gaming. So far I'm not looking forward to this 'next generation' of gaming. But I don't think it's going to happen. Even know there are advertisements on the Xbox 360 Dashboard alreadly.  :cry

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
From what I heard, PC gaming has its own share of problems, such as online passes, which I hear are more expensive in the long run because you're constantly paying to play a game that you already bought. I might have misunderstood it, though.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sounds like some excellent reasons to keep playing only older games and stay away from new games, consoles & pc hardware.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It doesn't surprise me. Gaming companies tend to be more anticonsumerish than other media and seem more content with treating legit paying consumers as criminals (such as with DRMs and then there's the incident where Spore's creators almost made people who bought the game input the code every two or three weeks, as well as reregister) rather than working on innovation and creating a proconsumer experience. Valve is one of the few gaming companies I can think of who treats its customers more fairly, and it has Steam which does create that proconsumer experience I mentioned.

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,May 29 2012 on  12:50 PM
From what I heard, PC gaming has its own share of problems, such as online passes, which I hear are more expensive in the long run because you're constantly paying to play a game that you already bought. I might have misunderstood it, though.
Do you mean games like World of Warcraft or Minecarft? If so I can see you're point. But most games are pay once and never pay again. (Unless for DLC for the game)

I feel that I might be missing something know. So forgive if I'm getting it wrong.  :bang

Blais_13

• Spike
    • View Profile
Yeah,thats the case with the games focusing on online playing,like mmorpgs.They have to run,and maintance servers,develop the game continuously,and all of this costs them money.To make profit,they make the players pay this money.It's understandable,but still very deterrent.Makes the game too expensive for just a game..

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Man, this absolutely sucks.  But it's good for my business, that's for sure.  I can foresee in the near future I'll be getting a dozen calls a day from people with PS4's and smart TV's that are littered with BS ads.  I'll just hack the crap out of these devices and remove that shit.  $100/device.  I can see people doing that.

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Blais_13,May 29 2012 on  05:29 PM
Yeah,thats the case with the games focusing on online playing,like mmorpgs.They have to run,and maintance servers,develop the game continuously,and all of this costs them money.To make profit,they make the players pay this money.It's understandable,but still very deterrent.Makes the game too expensive for just a game..
What I find funny is that you can buy Minecraft for the Xbox 360 for £13.00 and that's it! You don't pay them anything else. (So far)

I think for the PS4 there let us remove the adverts but I bet you have to pay extra to do so... :cry

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I think you peeps should read these posts. It's quite interesting.

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I remember the Kane & Lynch: Dead Men Review.  :lol

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Oh come on, there's no way they would ever do something like that. It's just completely ridiculous, and so far-fetched and stupid of an idea that I could never even imagine it actually happening. People wouldn't even want to play video games anymore at that point. I just refuse to believe that these companies could actually be that stupid...

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Littlefoot Fan,May 30 2012 on  05:21 PM
Oh come on, there's no way they would ever do something like that. It's just completely ridiculous, and so far-fetched and stupid of an idea that I could never even imagine it actually happening. People wouldn't even want to play video games anymore at that point. I just refuse to believe that these companies could actually be that stupid...
Actually, from what I've been seeing, it's not a thing of stupidity, but rather being so greedy that they are blind to the wrong they are doing.

It's a rule many businesses forget when they get so far.  Simply, if you get too greedy, you will be blind to evil and that evil will overtake you and destroy all you have built in the end.

Too many have already gone down that path and it's almost impossible for them to come back.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Ladies and gents: the reason I haven't bought any Sony gaming stuff since the PS2.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf