The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Land Before Time 2 Showcase - April 2022

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
With the original film having its moment in the Bright Circle, it is now time to begin our long journey through the sequels... beginning with the one which gave us our favorite friendly sharptooth!

In this topic please feel free to discuss your thoughts on the second film.  I will go ahead and present a few questions to get things started:

1) This was the first of the sequels and as such it presented the new style which would be universal among the sequel films: musicals with a bit less angst than the original film.  What are your thoughts on this shift in tone?

2) Which scenes really stood out to you when you first watched the second film?  Upon later viewings did any other scenes rise in prominence?

3) Based upon what we eventually saw in LBT V and in the television series, do you think the gang imprinted on Chomper upon his hatching?

4) The infamous chomping of Cera’s tail from Chomper... do you think that he has been tempted to do that again in the intervening time since the events of the second film?  :taunttroll

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

chomper94

• The Chomper Fanatic (and the Meme Boy)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Hop in, we’re gonna go visit the GOF.
    • View Profile
Yes!  The film that made me become what is known as a fan of Chomper!

• The shift of tone was fine for a first sequel that made the franchise turn into a musical.  However, as the films went on, I started to realize that this shift was a bad choice.
  • My favorite scenes had to be with Ozzy and Strut, and of course, Chomper’s hatching.  The saddest scene had to be when Chomper had to go move with his family, but it becomes less sad when you know they’ll meet again in the 5th movie, and the television series.
  • To be fair, the gang thought that Chomper would be dangerous to take care of at first, but I think Chomper staying with Littlefoot not only made Chomper gain trust with him, but also created a brand new friendly Sharptooth type inside him.  So yeah, I think I would say they imprinted Chomper since his hatching.
  • I don’t think Chomper had any other intentions to bite Cera again.  Except that one episode titled “Missing Fast-Water Adventure” in which I thought Cera making fun of Chomper’s small arms made Chomper feel like doing it again.  I mean, I don’t think he was close to doing it because he showed no signs of doing it, but I bet it was in his mind to do it again, judging by his mean looks throughout the episode when someone makes fun of his arms.

Other than answering those questions, the sequel is a good step in the direction for the franchise, and I’m glad that Chomper was popular enough in that sequel to become a recurring character, then a main character.

The jewelstone queen

• just call me Jewel ; D
  • Spike
  • I'm just an artist :0
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel (I animate stuff, they old)
This was my first lbt movie I've ever viewed, so I didn't really care at the moment since I was little and all I though was, "Yay, singing dinosaurs!"
Now that I've watched it recently I'd say it's better than most of the following sequels as far as plot and the tone goes.

I dig the scenery in this film. In the first movie it was all dark toned, while the second film shows variety. I really enjoyed how they visually described the mysterious beyond. I think I remember some carnivorous dinosaur swimming in a disgusting looking swamp, gave me chills.

I would agree with Chomper94 here, as I feel that Chomper is more bonded with Littlefoot. Really enjoyed that scene where everyone ran off while Littlefoot stayed  during Chompers hatching.

Honestly, I wish they had brought back that tail biting joke in the fith movie, or in the sequels, but nope!  :areyouserious  So pretty mush anytime where Cera's picking on him would have him temtped to do it agian, and I highly incourage him!
Anyways, not too bad for a sequel, probably one of my favorites, and now we have a cute lil Chomper in the fandom! Thanks to this film, so you go Chomper!  :ChomperRWAAR :chomper :OhYou :ChomperOhhh :ChomperYummy :ChomperImpressed :ChomperImAwesome
I'm currently writing an lbt fanfic about Littlefoot and Ruby, it's a little cringy at first. Go check it out if you're interested! FANFICTION.NET- https://www.fanfiction.net/s/14063661/1/The-Land-Before-time-Unbearable
OR RIGHT HERE ON THE WEBSITE- https://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=17556.0

Compsognathus

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
1- I really liked the shift from the first movie. I liked the songs, and earlier sequels were still a bit dark, unlike movies IX and forth. I liked the early sequel darkness more.

2- I liked many scenes, especially any with Ozzy and Strut, and young Chomper's adventures. And Chomper's parents appearance was also good.

4- He was older, than in second movie, so he can better control himself, but I think, that it is possible, that some obsessive thought could have been there.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
1) This was the first of the sequels and as such it presented the new style which would be universal among the sequel films: musicals with a bit less angst than the original film.  What are your thoughts on this shift in tone?

I enjoyed the shift in tone from the darker feel of the first film. The musicals numbers I really enjoyed. To my dismay the lyrics became too simplistic by LBTXII.

2) Which scenes really stood out to you when you first watched the second film?  Upon later viewings did any other scenes rise in prominence?

Chomper’s hatching and Littlefoot becoming his surrogate father stands out. The fact Littlefoot is willing to believe not all Sharpteeth are bad is a major development in his character, his mother having been slain by Sharptooth.

3) Based upon what we eventually saw in LBT V and in the television series, do you think the gang imprinted on Chomper upon his hatching?

Yes they did imprint on Chomper. Its why he’s friendly, and speaks Leaf Eater. Not a fan with how they retconned this with Ruby as the imprinter in the TV series.

4) The infamous chomping of Cera’s tail from Chomper... do you think that he has been tempted to do that again in the intervening time since the events of the second film?

I would say no. In LBTII he’s a hatchling, by the TV series he’s afraid of a lot, including Cera’s Dad, Topsy. I think Chomper wouldn’t bite Cera again for feat of reprisals. I mean he had Rhett and the migrating herd hunting him down, so Chomper knows grown ups can go on Sharptooth Hunts.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 04:13:11 PM by Gentle Sharptooth »

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
I don't recall being a massive fan of the second film back in the day, but I have to admit it's grown on me. Bringing in a friendly T-Rex was a good move considering how much of an impact he's had in the fandom. The only thing I kinda wish they had put in when Chomper hatched was Littlefoot having some doubt because of a certain other sharptooth that had a big impact on his life... but oh well. XD

While I would much rather LBT stuck to the original's tone, I think the second film struck a decent balance. Universal was marketing this towards the younger audience and knew full well of the pre-cut complaints about the original film being too scary for kids, so I can understand why they toned it down a bit. The songs are really hit & miss for me, whether I enjoy them or not really depends on the mood I'm in. Whilst the Great Valley was the ultimate goal in the first film, I like that they didn't stray from the place having dangers such as earthquakes, egg-stealers and the like. There were consequences for the kids screwing up. If the later sequels had kept this, that would have been ideal for me, but it ended up straying too far from what the original was going for.

"I wanna know about babies." I'm sorry but the grandparents' reaction cracks me up every time. Also the fight scene between the adults and the sharpteeth. Y'know, back when they actually posed a threat.  :p

Littlefoot, definitely. Not so sure about the rest of the gang. Littlefoot was there for Chomper's first moments, fed him, etc. He never doubted Chomper's allegiance to him and his friends, and their brotherly relationship is great to see.

4) The infamous chomping of Cera’s tail from Chomper... do you think that he has been tempted to do that again in the intervening time since the events of the second film?  :taunttroll

Haven't we all?  :cerasus I mean, Cera is Cera lol, I don't think any amount of tail nibbling is going to change her. That and Chomper was a baby at the time and didn't know better, now he'd probably have to answer to Mr Threehorn.

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion