The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Kinect? Kinect to what?

oogaboo · 17 · 1401

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I just tried out this darn thing at my friends house and I find kinect to be A LOT better then i thought. playing ping pong online and taunting the other person with motion sensors is very addicting and fun. That Kinectimals tiger freaked me out though. I was more in favor for Sonic free riders out of most of the other all ages games. Granted, the Kinect launch titles themselves aren't exactly ground-breaking. They're all variations of games we've already played on other platforms in some form or another. Their is one thing that I have a huge problem with and that is the price of the darn thing.

How come you have to pay $200 for the Xbox and $150 for the kinect hardware when the wii itself with the motion-sensor device is $200 anyways? That is $350 plus tax to have a complete motion-sensing experience. Plus some of these games aren't exactly my cup of tea. And compared to the wii, kinect is finicky and takes some getting use to.
Still, no supplemental hardware is for everyone, but if you've written off the Kinect because it doesn't seem right for you, give it a go should you get the chance. You might be pleasantly surprised. I sure was. And I had a good work out from it too. :)

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
You actually got it to work? I couldn't get anything to do what I wanted it to the one and only time I was tricked into using that abomination.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
:o Hmmm... :huh: It worked perfectly when me and my friends hooked it up. I read the instruction manual and it worked like a charm.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
From what I've heard from the reviews, most people are having trouble adjusting to the control scheme of the games.  They say that the games feel more off than the Wiimote did when it first came out.  If it is the case, Microsoft has a lot to learn about motion control.

Sure, making your whole body the controller is a step-up from the Wiimote Control Scheme, but if you don't have it fine tuned, it's not worth it.

How come you have to pay $200 for the Xbox and $150 for the kinect hardware when the wii itself with the motion-sensor device is $200 anyways? That is $350 plus tax to have a complete motion-sensing experience. Plus some of these games aren't exactly my cup of tea. And compared to the wii, kinect is finicky and takes some getting use to.

Look at it this way, at least it's less expensive than what you would have to pay to get Sony's "Move" to work.

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I've played with the PlayStation Move and it was rather simple to set up and the likes.  It was also rather fun to play as well, granted, only game I played was "Start the Part" but it was fun none the less.

However, I wont go out of my way to buy the Move bundle, or the Kinect bundle myself.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
i mean If I have to get awhole new system just to be about to use the "Move controler. I'll pass thank you very much..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
I don't plan on getting the Kinect. I have a Wii for motion controls and I like it just fine. I'm not paying $150 for something that I wouldn't ever use.

What kind of annoys me is that certain games are forcing the use of Kinect by making them require it. I am SO pissed off that the new Sonic Riders requires Kinect. I loved the first game on the Xbox. It's addicting, challenging, and a lot of fun. When I heard they were doing Sonic Riders for 360, I was beyond excited, until I read that you needed Kinect in order to play it. I get the idea they were going for, but seriously why couldn't they have made controller compatibility along with it?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I don't even have an X-Box 360 so I don't really care about the Kinect. Sure it looks interesting and yes I'd be willing to try it if given the chance. But I'm not overly concerned about it.

Personally I'm more interested in the Sony Move. I doubt I'll get it anytime soon due to money issues, but I'm more interested in trying that than Kinect. The controllers for it make me laugh, though. They look like they took a Wiimote, painted it black, and stuck a large, colorful lightbulb at the end.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well, since I remember you being a huge Wii naysayer, Dark, I doubt you'd like the Sony move.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
given the fact i am less than a flexible person a kinect is not the controller for me :lol:
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sounds pretty unfair to me, forcing folks who may like or want the game to get a special controller.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
You're not missing much, Nick. The game I played was 'bartender' or whatever. I had to push bottles of bear across a table to my customers. Yeah, stirling, I know.

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: LBTFan13,Nov 10 2010 on  08:45 AM
What kind of annoys me is that certain games are forcing the use of Kinect by making them require it. I am SO pissed off that the new Sonic Riders requires Kinect.  When I heard they were doing Sonic Riders for 360, I was beyond excited, until I read that you needed Kinect in order to play it. I get the idea they were going for, but seriously why couldn't they have made controller compatibility along with it?
I felt the exact same way! If you want to sell a successful game have more CHOICES for the consumers. Sonic Free Riders would've been perfect for an Xbox controller or even the Wiimote! Thanks a lot, Xbox... :mad

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Best to give them the finger then.  Games should have options when it comes to controls.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I've been looking into Kinect lately and I have found an interesting thing on it.

Understand that this came from a magazine and I can't remember which one at the moment, so bear with me, alright?

Turns out that some doctors are studying the technology of Kinect.  They are hoping to use it for delicate medical procedures. (ie Micro-surgery) Imagine the lives that could be saved if they pull this off.

So yeah, that's what I found.  Even though it is pretty much bombing, something grand could come out of it.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Bah, I'll stick to using a controller thanks.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Whilst I admire the technology that's gone into the Kinect, I can't say it's anything I'd leap at. My nephew has a Kinect can I didn't find it all that engaging. Maybe it was the selection of games he had but I found it to be inaccurate, buggy and frustrating at times. I'm willing to give it the chance seeing as it's not that old but for this thing to really take off, a game developer seriously needs to do something groundbreaking with it. So far, the games for it haven't been anything we haven't seen already.