The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Pokemon Black & White

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
One week into this game, and I really want to talk about it, so here we go!

In the many previous points before it came out, there were plenty of disappointments with this game that made me reluctant to give it a chance.  However, as I looked at it more and more, it felt like I would be missing out on something grand if I didn't play it.  So, swallowing my pride, I decided to give it a chance.

I'm glad I did. :)

First off, let me point out that this is one of the final games to come out for the DS.  As such, GameFreak decided to make this game one that pushed the graphics to it's limits.  It's one of the few games that does show off the potential the system always had in graphics but many developers never went for.  Simply put, the system was always capable of more than what most did for it.

In that retrospect, despite some of the worst designs ever for pokemon, it is one of the best games Nintendo made for the system.  In this game, one big shocker is that it sets up the storyline and so that the trainer is more of the bad guy than the actual bad guys of the game are.  Seriously, you'll be shocked by the main side-plot in this one.

It goes without saying that you'll face 8 Gym Leaders and then face the Elite Members, but these are some of the toughest GameFreak has ever made.  With these opponents, you actually have to use strategy to beat them properly.  Even the first Gym Leader is a respectable challenge for when you meet them in this game. (And that's no typo.  There are three Gym Leaders at the first Gym and the one you face revolves around which starter you picked.  Simply, it's the one that will have the advantage.) The first Gym gives the challenge more in the area of using combos, rather than using a certain type.

Think about that.  It's the first Gym, and it uses combos to beat you.  This game's not messing around.

However, one plus I will mention is the fact that now you can use TMs as many times as you like.  So now you can really experiment and figure out what works best for not just one pokemon, but your whole team.

Simply put, this really feels like the game Pokemon fans have been waiting for.  15 years in the making.  If you ask me, it was worth waiting for it. :)

See ya later!

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Mar 13 2011 on  02:17 AM
Simply put, this really feels like the game Pokemon fans have been waiting for. 

It goes without saying that you'll face 8 Gym Leaders and then face the Elite Members.

Waiting for the same game? Not too excited. Just my opinion.

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Campion1,Mar 13 2011 on  04:18 PM

Waiting for the same game? Not too excited. Just my opinion.
I hear a lot of people say that. And I respect that opinion.:)  But I'd rather they keep the same RPG formula other wise it wouldn't be what Pokemon is suppose to be. That is what got a lot of Pokefans hooked into this. I did not hear any Street Fighter, Kingdom Hearts, or Mortal Kombat fans complain about them using the same formula.

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://raptoid.deviantart.com/
Sorry for my current absences everybody.  College has really been taking its toll on what I can dedicate my time to...

Anyways, I managed to get ahold of Pokemon White a couple weeks ago, and I can say that I definitely loved it.  Sure, it hasn't changed a lot from the other games, and if you're truly sick of it there might not be anything to win you back.  But the changes that are there are pretty significant.  Especially regarding the evil team syndicate and their motives.  And I like how the gym leaders are more involved with the plot this time around.  When I finished it all up, I felt very satisfied.