The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Flathead770's Fanart

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Now that I've started to draw pictures that aren't card related, I figured that I should make a separate topic. The first one is for the Fanart Prompt Challenge: Draw a background character.

It was a really close call between the spinosaurus and the one dinosaur in LBT14 that gets the treestar crown (I love it's confused expression). I really like the design of the spinosaurus in LBT12 over the more traditional sharpteeth in the series so I ultimately went with this choice. Drawing the head took the longest amount of time as it kept looking wrong. Now that I have the drawing on my computer and able to compare it to the original picture, the head is still a little skinny. I tried to work on my shading as well. Overall I am pleased with how it turned out.

Feel free to share any feedback with this drawing or any others in the future.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 10:16:01 PM by Flathead770 »

CybertronianBrony

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Awesome art piece, Flathead770! I like how you drew him! The details and shading on him are amazing!

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
This drawing is awesome and fantastic you did a nice job making it

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
That's COOL!! :D

and you did very good "shadowing" part. :)

Edit: there's Fanart Promt competition. You can make special drawing for this! ;)
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Nice one :D

I'll add it to the list of entries ^^spike
Inactive, probably forever.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
This is a very nice picture!  :) The lines look very smooth and the shading looks really cool! The details on the character are quite great and I like his expression! :) But is it just me or do the spines look a bit one-dimensional in comparison to the rest of the picture? Anyways, that's just a small nitpick. Great job with this picture!  :D

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
What's your next drawing you're gonna do

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thanks everyone, you guys are the best. :DD

But is it just me or do the spines look a bit one-dimensional in comparison to the rest of the picture? Anyways, that's just a small nitpick. Great job with this picture!
Hmm yea that's a good point. I decided to make the big back spines look more 3D by giving it a width but left out the neck part. The tail spikes could have used some shading to give it a more conical appearance now that I think about it. The rounded parts at the base of the large spine could have used some shading as well. Thanks for pointing that out.

What's your next drawing you're gonna do
It's a secret haha. I have a basic outline almost done for another drawing, I just have to figure out how I'm going to draw a certain part of it.

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Looking good! Great job on the skin folds, those can be hard to get right :D

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Ah okay I'll look forward to your next drawing update

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Looking good! Great job on the skin folds, those can be hard to get right
Thanks Darkwolf! It's something that I make sure to observe when looking at characters at different angles. Plus it's really fun when you get it right.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Plus it's really fun when you get it right.
And lots of frustration when you didn't after 3 attempts :p It's a two-edged sword sometimes to be an artist, haha :lol
Inactive, probably forever.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
And lots of frustration when you didn't after 3 attempts :p It's a two-edged sword sometimes to be an artist, haha :lol
So true. I had to re-do my Spinosaurus' head about 4 times before I got it to not look all whacky.

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
This is incredible! You mentioned that your version's head is a tad narrower than the one in the film, and I can definitely see that, but I honestly think I prefer it that way. It looks more accurate. After all, the more recent artists on the show aren't exactly known for their attention to scientific detail (looking at you, weird Baryonyx-things in the 13th film).

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
This is incredible! You mentioned that your version's head is a tad narrower than the one in the film, and I can definitely see that, but I honestly think I prefer it that way. It looks more accurate. After all, the more recent artists on the show aren't exactly known for their attention to scientific detail (looking at you, weird Baryonyx-things in the 13th film).
Hey thanks Fyn! I think we can agree that there is a few things wrong with the 13th film :lol

I've stated this before in my return post but I'll say it again since it's relevant here. Before I decided to officially return to the GoF (for the 2nd time), I stalked the site for about a week. Having returned and losing interest fairly quickly before made me hesitant on coming back. I knew I had to have a way to help sustain my interest in LBT or the same thing would happen. At this point I had already had 50 LBT themed Yu-Gi-Oh cards that I had drawn as part as a project my friend and I were doing, where we each drew our own cards to duel with. Since I had fun drawing those cards I figured that drawing could be the answer so I spent some time looking through the fanart section. I often neglected that part of the board back in the day as I wasn't interested in drawing at the time, let alone show drawings to others.

After looking through the fanart board there were two main people that I feel helped tip me over the edge and finally decide to return. The first was Ducky123. Seeing the fanart competition that you started looked like a lot of fun and a way to help me continue drawing down the line (I didn't enter right away as I figured I would miss this current prompt, but joined when I saw it was being pushed back. I hope there is enough interest to keep it going). Your fanart topic happened to be on the front page at the time as well, so I got to look at your art.

The second person was CybertronianBrony. Your fighting game related artwork inspired me to do similar artwork of my own, which happen to be the ones I'm showing now. Your drawing of Ruby doing the Shoryuken were equal parts awesome and hilarious and made me want to draw her in a fighting pose as well (and like you said, it really is a great way to practice custom poses to improve your skill). I personally imagine Ruby to be more of kicker with her longer legs and immediately had this concept in mind:

Hey-o there's color! :DD Another quick shoutout to both Ducky123 and ADFan185 for wishing my drawings had color. I finally went out and bought some cheap colored pencils to give it a shot.

It was really fun to draw this mainly due to the difficulty of getting a front view looking good. The general outline of the legs and tail weren't too bad, and the head was fairly easy since she's looking to the side. The major problem were to get the arms to not look like crap as they are pointing out of the page. I spent a good time practicing fists by awkwardly looking at mine.

But wait, there's more! Since we're on the topic of fighting games, I figured why not try making some pixel art?

I worked on a simple idle animation of Ruby if she were in a fighting game. She was very fun to work on to get her feathers to move as she moves up and down (the arm feathers are still static at the moment as I still got to figure out how they should move).

And finally, what fighting game doesn't have alternate color schemes? These ones were inspired by Ruby's father and everyone's favorite egg stealer.

I would like to finish by saying thank you both Ducky123 and CybertronianBrony for getting me back on the GoF as well as everyone else that gives feedback and support. It feels like I've been flooding the fanart board recently with drawings of this and my Yu-Gi-Oh cards topic lately but I hope I can give inspiration to someone else someday like you guys inspired me.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 10:16:18 PM by Flathead770 »

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
:lol  :lol  :lol

oh lol
Ovie, I meant, Ruby kicks and rules everyone!

Amazing you drew her in such style! ^^

nice attempt to make pixel art. Try more, with more polished sprites.  :yes
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Wow Ruby is drawn amazingly the style is awesome and very cool. You did a great job drawing ruby

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Nice drawing! I like the overall layout of the picture and the idea with the pose is really cool. It's also great to see a decently colored picture! I don't know a whole about pixel art but the results looks quite fun. Good work with these!  ^^spike