The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Continuing Saga

Pterano · 535 · 57793

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
"Alright Cera." Mr. Threehorn wished his daughter as she departed. He soon left himself, towards the Longneck Nest.

He arrived there to see Grandpa Longneck and Littlefoot, as well as some farwalking flyer. He asked Grandpa "Alright, when's that meeting? Should I start rounding up the grownups yet or what?"

---------------------------------------------

Chomper ate for quite awhile, until he couldn't hold anymore. I might not get to come out here often, he thought to himself. I have to make the best of every trip!

Chomper fell over, not even able to walk anymore. Ruby walked up to the over-stuffed sharptooth, and put him on her back. She set her sights for the Great Valley, and departed.

"If we're quick about it, maybe we can make it back before anyone notices we're gone!" she said.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Mama's Girl

• Spike
    • View Profile
Harper had just dodged a particularly good throw by Ridge in the typical goal scoring game young ones of the Valley came up with, when her uncle's call drew both of their attention from the game. Ridge nodded slightly to let the flyer know he'd gotten his name right.

"Oh, well" Harper grinned, "it's both simple and interesting I suppose". It wasn't lost on Harper how unexpected it was of Pterano to be asking in the first place. She still vividly recalled a time when, back when they'd all been coming to the Valley and feared Petrie lost forever, she'd played with a few of the other young ones about the herd as well. The other non-flyers. Pterano had never said anything outloud, but she overheard a talk of his telling her mother how he wasn't sure she should be allowing such.

So, more than eager to answer any question of her uncle's on his becoming better with the whole concept for others of them even on and besides Petrie, She and Ridge paused their game and moved over a bit closer as she explained.

"Ridge's herd just came through one day, not farwalkers, just his herd of other spiketails, and they were actually here a whole day before I even noticed him". Ridge laughed as Harper told this.

"I was just playing tag with the others like we always do, and it was one of your not favorite nephews" she gave a small smile, "who came up with the bright idea of telling me that a hole in a tree about this big..." she demonstrated a small hole with her wings, "was one I could 'so make it through'".

Harper grimaced, "I don't know why I believed him, 'cause this is the same one of my brothers who, after you told us about red tree stars and all, found one and dared me to eat it". Harper left it hanging whether or not she'd taken the dare.

"Well for some reason I tried to fly through the hole and...I didn't make it, but when I asked for help back out both him and the others with him scattered so mom wouldn't find out and get them in trouble". She sighed.

"Well Ridge was passing by and he was nice enough to pull me out so I started talking to him, being grateful and all, and then went to find him the next day and that turned into us just becoming good friends" she shrugged.

~~~~

As Cera tried to figure out where to go first and still avoid Pterano, she settled on Ducky and Spikes, knowing her father was heading towards Littlefoot's nest to talk with his grandfather about the meeting.

"So, I guess I officially one yesterday" she said as she walked up to the two. Ducky turned to her.

"Oh, Cera there you are, yes we were worried we lost you yesterday, but I suppose you did win" the swimmer giggled.

"We did not know if you hearded yesterday, Petrie's Uncle Pterano is back, he is" Ducky next said. Cera frowned a bit, well there went avoiding that topic.

"Yeah, I heard..." she trailed off with a forced smile.

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Littlefoot looked at Tero as the flyer nudged him, and he seemed to be wanting him to walk off with him. Looking up at his grandfather and then being shushed by Tero, Littlefoot wondered what this flyer wanted to show him. He was used to this sort of thing, but usually only with his friends.

Still, he was curious, and so long as it wasn't too far from his grandfather, he didn't see the harm in it. As it turned out, his grandfather was approached by Mr. Threehorn, and that provided the distraction he needed.

"Good morning, Mr. Threehorn. I'm just having breakfast, and yes, we'll have the meeting shortly. If you wish to start going around and gathering everyone together, you may do so. I'll be there after I'm done eating." Grandpa said, giving the threehorn a nod. He only hoped that Topsy would see this meeting for what it was... about Pterano's return and not a trial for his past wrongs.

Littlefoot meanwhile was heading over to where Tero was motioning. Fortunately, his grandfather was still in sight, and this did much to calm him. "So... what's back there?" he asked, squinting. It looked like someone was behind the bushes there, and Littlefoot looked at Tero and then over at the clump. "Um... hello? Is someone back there?" he asked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pterano greeted Devon as the flyer rose, smiling at him and giving him a pat. "Good morning, Devon. Oh! And good morning Petrie!" he said to his nephew who had suddenly perched on his shoulder. "Harper here was just telling me how she met Ridge." He listened with genuine interest, nodding every so often, and smiling at various parts, such as Harper calling out one of his nephews who wasn't his favorite.

"Hah... yes, I see, I see." He said. "So he saved you from a rather troublesome spot? Well Ridge, you've got my respect for doing so." the old flyer told the spiketail. "So he and his herd stopped in the Great Valley on a permanent basis, and quite by accident you two became friends. Well sometimes our friendships can surprise us. I... heheh, didn't choose very good friends last time I was here." he said, referring of course to Rinkus and Sierra. "But, it's good that my nieces and nephews are off to good starts." he said with a nod. "Or at least... some of you are. I can't speak for the whole family." he chuckled.

"By the way, I don't suppose any of you were woken up by that second flying rock, were you? It was just like the first that streaked overhead last night. I know you saw it, Devon." he said, looking over at the one who saw him as his father, a fact which still was digesting in a rather good way with him. "I woke up after having a bit of a bad sleep story... and saw it in the sky. I can hardly believe there were TWO of them like that." he explained, tracing the path of the second one with a claw. "So mysterious... but in the end, they're just flying rocks after all." he stated. No magical properties or anything of the sort.

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
Redback heard the longneck's voice. Tero better know what he's doing...

He raised his head up and stepped out of the bush "Er...Hi kid."

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Littlefoot gasped as he saw the creature rise out of the bushes before him. Sharptooth!? In the Great Valley? He took a few steps back, going wide eyed, opening his mouth to call out to his grandfather... but then paused...

The sharptooth spoke leafeater? He stood his ground, not moving back another inch as that suddenly hit him. A sharptooth... speaking leafeater... how many sharpteeth did he know outside of Chomper that could do that? His mind was racing too fast to process it now, but he knew the number was under ten... probably under five.

"Um... you can speak leafeater?" was all he could ask at first. He struggled with forming words, stumbling over a few before he finally got his next bit out. "So... what do you want?" He asked. If this sharptooth was like Chomper... then maybe he wouldn't be so bad. After all, there HAD to be a reason he could both understand Littlefoot and talk to him in his own tongue.

(runner up)
(runner up)

Mama's Girl

• Spike
    • View Profile
Ridge just smiled in that modest way he'd always been told he should as Pterano gave his thanks. Harper's smile grew too, especially as her hunch was proven right and he seemed very much so to approve of the friendship.

She'd never worried over what anyone except her mother thought of her, but at the unexpected reference of her along with Petrie, at least, "making a good start" she felt a spurt of happiness.

Harper had been drawn so much by how Pterano seemed now, as he mentioned flying rocks again she felt a small flare of warning, even if she'd only heard of his obsession with the other one before. He ended with calling it just a flying rock, though, so maybe the coincidence was nothing to worry over.

She shook her head, "No, I didn't see the other one, but...".

"Just flying rocks or no, that is odd there being three all back to back like that" Ridge finished what he knew she was thinking.

Harper sighed, "Well lets just hope the other grown-ups didn't see them too, not to be rude to adults but...they'll make something of it" she glanced aside. Now that Harper saw how changed her uncle was, she worried at the grown-ups dragging up the same arguments against him just because he happened to return when the flying rocks did.

Her mother flapped out of the nest. "Petrie, Harper, I'm heading out for a bit" she called, "your Uncle Pterano's in charge but if he's called away just stay near the nest unless you're with your friends". She had to add this loop-hole, asking Petrie or now Harper as well to stay near the nest was a hard order with their adventurous friends.

"Ok Mom" Harper called back, "Where are you going?". Her mother frowned, why was her daughter so perceptive sometimes? "Just...over to speak with Grandma Longneck" she said.

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Tero moved over to Redback's side, as the sharptooth emerged from the foliage in his entirety. He grinned as he looked down at the young longneck. For a longneck not that much younger than he, he was even less than half his height! He lowered his head to Littlefoot's level, almost snout to snout.

"Well first of all, I want ya to keep quiet. Call out to anyone, and you will regret it. I might be benign mostly, but even I have my limits." He growled, baring his teeth.

Tero headed further into the woods, beckoning to the sharptooth and the longneck. Redback nodded and headed into the undergrowth, followed by the longneck.
"Now kid, first things first, let's get it outta the way. I can see yer dying to ask me something. Go ahead."

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Mr. Threehorn left the old Longneck to gather up the entire valley.

I wonder how the meeting will turn out? Topsy thought to himself as he wandered the Great Valley in search of the other adults.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Littlefoot uneasily followed the group deeper into the woods. He was losing sight of his grandfather, and he would now have to break for it if these two were threatening. Already the sharptooth had told him he'd regret calling out... but of course that wasn't going to stop him if worse came to worst.

The fact that Redback called himself benign did not go very far in assuaging Littlefoot's angst over the situation. He looked the sharptooth over, noticing he had a type of black vegetation strung all over his body.

"Well... first off, I guess I wanted to know how you can speak leafeater... and also what you're doing here... and what you want with me." the longneck let his questions fall out, because he figured he had nothing left to lose by asking them, and may as well get them out in the open. The sooner he was back beside his grandfather, the better he'd feel. "You aren't... here to hurt any of us, are you?" he added.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pterano nodded as his sister prepared to depart. "Very well, sis! I'll keep a close eye on the nest while you're gone." he stated, and waved as she flew off. Well this was reassuring! She was leaving him in charge in her absence, and it did much to repair his lowered self-esteem. It started to make him feel important again, and he watched his sister as she flew off, heading in the direction of the longnecks' place.

He shifted his attention back over to Ridge, Harper, and Petrie, who was still on his shoulder. "I know this may be a little much to ask, but could all of you stay around the nest until your mother returns? It would just make me feel a bit better about things if you didn't go off... unless of course you're with a friend." he quickly added, smiling over at Harper and Ridge. "Uncle Pterano just got back after all... and uncle doesn't need to be given any panic attacks over the status of one of his nieces or nephews." the flyer said with a chuckle. "Now, since I haven't eaten, I'm going to go and pick some treesweets for Devon and myself, and I'll be right back."

Flapping his wings, he made sure Petrie was clear of him before he took to the air, and flew over to the tree he had been looking at before. "Devon! Heads up!" he called over to the flyer, and began tossing some of the juicy fruits over to his companion. "Just save some for me!" He added, working to gather some in his claws as well.

When he felt satisfied that he had picked enough, he flew back to the rock and perched once more upon it. "Ahhh here we are... a good, hearty breakfast before we start the day!" he exclaimed happily, and began to partake of the sweets as he looked around the nest area. "So... Harper..." He began again, still making conversation with her. "I'm still a little curious. What is it about me that you like? You were OK with my return last night... and I just suppose that I'm wondering why. I mean... I'm sure you've heard from both your mother and some of the other adults about me... so I'm genuinely curious why you have such faith in me when so many others don't." he shoved a few more sweets into his mouth, and chewed as he listened.

"Of course... that doesn't mean I don't appreciate it!" he said, giving her a smile and a rub on her back. "I'm very grateful to have family that still cares about me and my wellbeing after all."

(runner up)
(runner up)

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
The strange pair sat down in the undergrowth as redback began his explanation:

"Well, first off, we're not gonna hurt ya. Tero's creepy, but harmless enough. And as for me, well, if I was gonna eat you, wouldn't I have done that by now?"

Second, I know leafeater , 'cos Tero here taught me, back when I was a kid. Right Tero?"

The flyer nodded silently, moving over to a nearby rock and sitting down.

"Course, that was before his little...incident. Long story short, he doesn't talk anymore.
Anyways, the reason the two of us are here is...well, kinda complicated. Y'see, the two of us have lived out in the Mysterious Beyond most of our lives, and quite frankly, we've had enough of constantly battling for survival. There's been too many close calls, so we're dropping out and settling down somewhere peaceful.
So, we looked for somewhere a bit more...hospitable, to call home. Took us long enough, but then we saw huge herds of dinosaurs headed to this valley. It seemed nice enough, so me and him snuck in here. He went in first to check the place out, and apparently he liked it, 'cos he came back and helped me in. And here we are."

Tero returned to sit by Redback, who stealthily wrapped his tail around Littlefoot and pulled him in closer "And this is where you come in, my little friend. If the two of us are gonna pul this off, we're gonna need some inside help."

Mama's Girl

• Spike
    • View Profile
Harper nodded that, on her end anyway, she'd stay put near the nest and pursuade Ridge not to come up with any daring ideas for games away from the nest. Petrie and his friends she couldn't attest for.

"Ok, yeah I guess it wouldn't be good if you lost us your first day back" she grinned. As Pterano flapped over to get some berries and such, Harper glanced over to Petrie.

"Don't worry" she told her brother, "if we do want to go anywhere I think you know Ridge well enough to count him a friend, and he is old enough to be like a babysitter" she laughed, glancing over at the older spiketail kid who just shot her a deadpan look.

"Thanks..." he said, but next smiled. Pterano returned shortly after and Harper was a bit surprised as the focus of questions anyway stayed on her. It made sense, she told herself, that he would have noticed how she'd been going out of her way, even when she did first meet back up with him yesterday, to encourage him and such.

"Well...I...I know I didn't before. Have faith that is. Petrie did" she glanced at her brother out of the corner of her eye, "but...it was harder for me, not 'cause of what mom said, though of course I did listen to that, but...because you...kept proving it right" she frowned a bit.

She was afraid of offending her uncle but went on, seeming not able to stop once she did, getting out stuff she'd felt all these seasons but never said. "What people said was the same stuff they've been saying about how all you cared about was yourself and getting back at Mr. Threehorn and Littlefoot's grandfather for what they did and...it's not that I believed them but...that did seem to be all you wanted to do last time, prove you right or them wrong or something. But...not this time. This time, right when Ridge rushed me over there I noticed you looked scared if anything and...I guess off hoping it meant you were different I said what I still meant about knowing deep down mom would be happy you were safe and...everything about what you said to me and mom seemed like you actually cared, so I guess that's what I "liked", though I'm not sure if I said it right".

Harper sighed, "and sorry if I just brought up stuff I shouldn't have, but you asked" she gave a hesitant smile.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Littlefoot found this whole secret meeting to be a little disconcerting in a way, and he felt like he had been drawn into something that was just a little dangerous. Redback's tail was drawing him in now, and the longneck pursed his mouth, looking right up at the sharptooth who could speak his language. This wasn't really like Chomper at all.

"Well... what sort of help?" he asked, glancing around. "I mean... can you survive here without eating any of us? A friend of mine who lives here who's like you can do it... but you're a lot bigger than he is, and he's only around my age. So... what could I do?" he asked hesitantly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pterano smiled in relief at Harper's pledge to remain by the nest. It would just make things easier on him in the long run, or so he felt. She started to explain why it was she trusted him, and also why she didn't at first either. Pterano listened with a bit of a sad yet understanding expression on his face. He hadn't exactly asked her WHY she didn't like or trust him before, so to hear it all now was a bit of a sting for him, but he persisted all the same, not stopping her as she laid it all out.

He felt like interrupting, telling her it wasn't just about petty revenge, and that he had such great visions for the rest of the valley denizens... but stopped himself. What good would that do? His "vision" ultimately had himself at the top... with all the others below him, perhaps even (and this was very unsettling to him) revering him almost as a god. He wasn't like that... not anymore, and if anything, his previous delusions only served to frighten him.

This was how his niece ultimately saw him... it didn't matter how he saw himself. Her perception was of a vindictive uncle who wanted to prove himself right to those he felt had wronged him. And maybe he WAS just like that after all. Maybe it all about petty vindication. After all, his actions hadn't helped anyone, and had nearly gotten the children killed on numerous occasions on his quest for the magical stone.

He wrinkled his brow, and inhaled through a stuffy nose. He was frowning, but not in the negative sense. If anything, it was thoughtful and introspective. "No... you weren't wrong to do so." He stated, shaking his head when she apologized. "If anything... you're right." he said heavily. "You see... I put a lot of you... Petrie included... in danger because of my actions the last time I was here. That was my chance to prove myself... but I didn't exactly end up doing it... well I tried, but I went about it the wrong way." he had to stop himself from saying he had the greater good of everyone in mind. It would just sound too conceited at this rate. "You see... that's partly why I stayed away longer than my exile. I was afraid that even though the farwalkers wanted nothing to do with me, that my own family and the valley would have even less to do with me." He stated, looking down at the ground.

"I just wasn't ready to face any of that. I'm a tired old flyer, and I said I wanted to prove I could be trustworthy upon my return... but I wasn't sure how to go about doing it, or if anyone here would care enough to give me that second chance. So... I stayed away. I wanted to make sure Devon was ready, and more importantly that I was. I was so focused on my own agenda that I didn't even notice the danger I was putting the young ones in... and it was completely irresponsible of me. I apologize to you, Petrie, which is why I accepted my punishment for what it was. I just hope I can make up for that... for all of what I've done." he stated, having paused on finishing his breakfast at the moment.

(runner up)
(runner up)

Mama's Girl

• Spike
    • View Profile
Harper frowned as well, a bit, as Pterano went on over all the stuff from his past. Stuff she'd brought up off trying to answer his question, but, she was given even more back-up for this new faith in her uncle as Pterano didn't try to defend this time but in fact took on so much responsibility for everything it shocked her now in a good way.

"Yes I was, a bit" she sighed, "it was stuff that I'd never told you before but worried over so it sort of...jumped out, but you've heard it all enough, I know. Don't need me starting up like mom" she sighed, for once labeling that a bad thing.

As Pterano apologized to Petrie specifically, she smiled, the trouble to have hit him personally off what she heard Pterano had done had added a bit to the whole not being able to be sure on her uncle.

"Well...ok, so you haven't done anything yet" she admitted at his last part, "but don't worry, you will" she smiled, trying to show all the faith that she did now share with Petrie in their uncle. To sort of make up for her lack of it earlier.

"I just can't really explain what I like, but...it's something in your smile" she finally got around to...trying to answer the actual question that had been put to her.

~~~~

(Since Grandma's NPC, I'm borrowing her for this bit :))

Grandma Longneck was aware of Pterano's return, and thus where her mate was and where she'd been having to head over shortly, having just made preparations to turn and join Grandpa, when a figure flapping over paused her.

"Well, good morning to you" she greeted the female flyer she was very familiar with and who was actually a good friend. "I...trust it is that? A good morning?" she next asked with a knowing smile.

Petrie's mother sighed, leave it to Grandma to realize how rough having her brother back at her nest could potentially be, but no, Pterano was behaving thus far. It was why she'd gone out on such a limb and allowed him to watch her nest in the first place.

"Well he's managed to stir up a whole to-do all over him again" the flyer sighed, knowing her friend understood if she spoke plain. Grandma smiled.

"But it's more innocent of all things this time" Pterano's sister went on. "I told him, off wanting to help this reformed state anyway I can, that I would check up on some female flyer he spotted yesterday".

Grandma's shocked smile seemed to get the situation right off hand. Petrie's mother rolled her eyes, "Yeah, I'm afraid it's that too, but..." she now smiled and shook her head, "you should have seen him last night. All unsure and hesitant, I didn't hardly know what to do with him!'.

Grandma chuckled, "Well so who is this flyer worthy enough to grab Pterano's attention?".

"I don't know, that's part of the problem. He described as a blue sort of lighter than my own" Pterano's sister went into the description of this mysterious flyer, "...and I confess, I can't recall anyone like that out of those who live here".

"Nor I..." Grandma seemed to think, "though I did hear some flyers, and one possibly of that description, came in with the far walkers".

Pterano's sister frowned, "You're telling me she came in with the far walkers he was with and he didn't notice her until now...yeah, Pterano would so be able to do that" she sighed.

Grandma chuckled again. "Well thanks" Pterano's sister went on, "I'll...let you get to catching back up with your mate", she of course knew of the meeting those of the council were getting up. "You'll forgive me but I'm a bit too busy to...".

Grandma nodded, not questioning in the least if the flyer wished to just skip this whole possibly defaming meeting with her brother as the topic.

Pterano's sister sighed, "On to following lead two..." she flapped up.

~~~~

"I am surprised Littlefoot has not met us yet" Ducky said as she traveled along with Spike and Cera. "Oh well, we can always go over to Petrie's nest and...".

"Let's not" Cera cut in, walking on ahead as Ducky looked at her in shock.

"Well..." she went on, her chipper happy tone soon coming back and not being dampered by the threehorn's mood too badly, "then we will just head towards Littlefoot's nest and see if we don't meet him, or we could look for Chomper or Ruby, we could!".

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
"We got it all worked out. As well as talkin' like a leafeater, Tero also taught me how to eat like one. I can take greenfood now, and if the urge for meat gets too much, well, I guess I can go outside the Valley for a snack." Redback explained.

As he continued, the sharptooth became noticeably more serious and solemn. He knew scaring the longneck into submissions wasn't going to work. "But that's not the bigger deal here. What I need is someone who knows the Valley. Someone who knows the most influential creatures in here, who I could talk to about staying. But more importantly, someone whose tolerant. You said yerself, you got a friend who's a sharptooth. Well, how'd you convince the others to let him stay?"

Behind the sharptooth, Tero's head suddenly perked up. He could sense someone nearby. The sound of grass underfoot, their scent; seemed like a small group of creatures. Not too close, but not too far either.

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Spike nodded at Ducky's suggestion as he walked with her and Cera.

"Mm-hmm, mm-hmm," Spike moaned in agreement with a smile.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Pterano suddenly broke out into a small smile now at the mention of all things... his smile. It grew now in order to try and recapture that essence that she obviously saw in him. "Well... I truly hope I can." he said with a nod. "I really do wish to make up for what happened before... if at all possible. I'm glad you think I will and not that I can." he said, clearly spelling out the difference with a wink.

"I'm glad you think that I can pull this off." he went back to eating his breakfast, and suddenly got an idea. "Say, Harper? Why don't you regale Devon and I with a tale of one of your adventures? You said so yourself that you and Ridge are quite the explorers... just like Petrie and his friends." he stated, and poked Petrie playfully in the belly.

"I'd love to hear about one of your exploits... as I'm sure you don't just have embarrassing stories about getting your head stuck in a rotting piece of wood after all." he told her, winking again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Littlefoot listened with a nod, beginning to piece things together. "So you can eat green food. That's a bit of a relief." he said, giving off a nervous laugh. "Well you see...." he gave the teenaged dino a once over. "My grandfather is one of the most respected of the adults in this valley. He respects my judgment and I respect him in probably more ways than I can express. He helped sway the other adults to accept my sharptooth friend, both because he and I go way back, and also because he only eats small insects."

Littlefoot was beginning to open up to Redback now. There was something about the teen that reminded him of Hyp in a way. It was just the type of look he had on his face, and the expression in his eyes.

"So maybe... if you really want to stay, I could talk to him about you. Is it just you two then?" he asked, looking from him to Tero, the latter seeming to be sensing something nearby, though Littlefoot didn't detect anything at present. "My sharptooth friend had a companion as well, a fast runner." he was starting to relax now, and open up far more to this idea, and figured he may as well explain as much about Chomper as he could for the time being.

(runner up)
(runner up)

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Redback nodded "Yep, just the two of us. I mean, there used to be more, but that's a long story... A-anyways, so, if it's no trouble, if you could get us to talk to yer grandpappy, we can get this all sorted out."

Mama's Girl

• Spike
    • View Profile
"See, Spike agrees" Ducky said with a laugh as she hugged her brother's neck from where she was riding. They were nearing Littlefoot's nest and Cera slowed, glancing around to see where there friend might be and making sure he wasn't still sleeping (not likely) or just that he wasn't talking with his grandparents or anything.

She didn't see anyone about, though, not off hand anyway or in the area near the nest where they were off between the actual nest area and a cave of sorts. "Littlefoot!" she called, "you around?".

~~~~

Harper had to glance over to Ridge a bit as Pterano went on saying he was glad she though he "would" and not "could". She thought she knew what he meant, but...

"Will is more certain" Ridge whispered, proving her hunch right.

She nodded, "oh, thanks, he's hard to follow sometimes" she giggled, as she was just teasing.

Harper was more than stunned as her uncle now asked for a story from her for a change. "Me?" she asked, "Well, yeah, I got better examples than that" she smiled, "but I'm still not sure any of it's the kind of stuff you and Petrie get into".

"Aw come on, Harper, I can probably help you recall something interesting we did..." Ridge thought. Harper watched him as he thought, her look, amusingly seeming to say 'see, told ya' as he took a while.

He soon had it though, "Oh, I know!", he said, leaning over to whisper to Harper and she soon smiled, "Oh yeah, the odd footprints story". She turned back to her brother the two adults (or close enough in Devon's case) recalling how she hadn't even told Petrie of this happening.

"I know, it doesn't sound like much, and it didn't to me either at first, but when I flew over to Ridge's nest one morning to ask him about what we should do, I found him staring at some, as he called them 'odd footprints'", she glanced over to her friend, curious if he wanted to defend his find, but he let her go on.

"I guess they did look odd, like a two footer only, as Ridge pointed out the ones in front were so close together that it had to be a four footer because two two-footers couldn't stand that close or...something" she glanced to Ridge who smiled.

"Yeah, that's what I said".

Harper shook her head, "I still didn't get it but before I knew it we were following a trail of these across the Great Valley...".

(ooc: figure I'll span this little story out)

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Tero stood up suddenly as he heard a voice nearby. They were very close. No good running for it, they'd spot him!

"Littlefoot?" Redback echoed as he heard the call. He turned to the young longneck "That's you, I bet!"

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Littlefoot was about to turn around to head to his grandfather, who was already calling his name (having finished his breakfast, he'd taken note that his grandson was no longer present), when he suddenly tensed up as he heard Cera join in on the chorus. "Mmmph!" he grumbled, knowing that this was bad timing on the part of his friends, but that he could do little about it otherwise. "Hey... yeah that's my name. Sorry I didn't give it to you earlier. Just... follow me, but don't leave the cover of the trees just yet. Try to stay on the edge." the longneck suggested, and started racing back the way he had come, hoping to head off any of the searchers before they reached him.

"Grandpa!" he said, coming out of the forest and halting in front of the older longneck.

"Ahhh there you are, Littlefoot. Where did you wander off to all of a sudden?" he asked.

"Well... oh, hey guys!" he said, turning to greet the approaching Cera, Spike and Ducky. "Where's everyone else? Is Petrie still at his nest?"

"Littlefoot... we need to talk." his grandfather spoke up.

"Um... well is this about Pterano's return?" his grandfather nodded.

"We need to have a meeting about it... mostly at Mr. Threehorn's insistence."

"Well he can stay, right? His exile is up."

"I don't see why not." his grandfather said with a sigh. "He's gone beyond the time of his exile after all, so I don't foresee many problems with this arrangement."

"Well I hope he can stay... um.... can you maybe meet one of Tero's friends?" the longneck asked now, looking back to the woods. "He sort of... needs help... and he would like to stay here. He's like... Chomper." Littlefoot, wincing now as his grandfather understood the connotations.

"A sharptooth?" the older one asked.

"He can speak our language though, and he said he eats green food... though I didn't actually see him eat any. Do you think... maybe you could talk with him?"

"Where is he?" his grandfather asked, pursing his lips.

"Um... Redback?" Littlefoot asked, looking back to the woods once again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pterano smiled down at his niece and looked over at Petrie as he settled in for the story. It seemed this one had a small mystery to it, and he looked up at the sky briefly as he pictured it playing out before his niece and Ridge.

"Ahhh I see. So it looked to be two separate set of footprints to you, but Ridge thought it unlikely as they were too close together, so it had to be one set with a four legged creature. I see. And where did this lead you?" He asked, popping the last treesweet into his mouth.

He found he was actually enjoying the story, much to his surprise. He initially just wanted to try and bond with his niece, but instead he realized that everyone had their own adventures, no matter how small they might seem to others, and he knew not if this would actually turn out to be bigger than she was letting on or not.

(runner up)
(runner up)