The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What if Littlefoot's mother didn't die?

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yes, what if Littlefoot's mother had survived?  How would the movie have been different?  You decide but I have my own version.  I may post it later as a fanfic.-F-14 ace.

Stitch

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I've seen what you've posted so far on Fanfiction.net.  The story is alright.

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth
Hello I've seen your stories on fanfiction.net, welcome to the Gang of Five.

-Threehorn

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Greetings F-14 Ace and welcome to the Gang of Five!
It is an interesting what if question.
First of all I must risk being considered a cynic by stating that I think that for the relationship between Littlefoot, Cera, Ducky, Petrie, and Spike the death of Littlefoot's mother was (forgive me the choice of words) a stroke of luck.
I think that if Littlefoot and the others would not have been all alone without each other they might well have not come together in the first place. Even if it was for the others loosing their families during the earthquake. Had they joined Littlefoot and his mum (provided that the presence of a huge fully grown longneck would not have scared away them) rather than just Littlefoot they would have been mainly under the protection of her rather than having to figure out how to solve problems together. Cera might have been far too proud to seek the so obvious protection of a longneck.
Also Littlefoot's mother herself wasn't too fond of other kinds. She was not a "hardcore racist" as Cera's father used to be, but she did object Littlefoot's getting into contact with other kinds "because we're different". I think Littlefoot's mother would have been able to learn same as Littlefoot's grandparents, so she might have riddened herself of all her reservations in the Great Valley, but I think it would have been too late for Littlefoot to make as good friends with other kinds as he did with Cera, Ducky, Petrie, and Spike. He probably would have ended up with other longnecks and may have never gained the sensitivity which disinguishes him so much.
I don't think it is really necessary to involve elements from LBT 10 (which strongly contradicted the original movie) in this discussion, but for completion I will. Had Bron not learned about the death of his wife I suppose the two would have continued to look (and wait?) for each other. Littlefoot might have ended up in an intact family! No way he could have become the same longneck we like.
There is a scene in a fanfiction I'm writing at the moment in which Littlefoot and his grandparents talk among other about Littlefoot's mother:
“You know that it were hard times in the land where you were born. The leaves died, some rivers dried up, food grew rare”, Littlefoot’s grandmother continued. “It was not that from one day to the next all food was gone, but still one could watch it running low. It took a while before the first set out on the long journey to the Great Valley.”
“Such hard times turn out the best in some dinosaurs”, said Littlefoot’s grandfather. “And the worst in some others. You sure remember these days Littlefoot; you remember some rules which here in the Great Valley are considered old fashioned, don’t you?”
“We all keep to our own kind? We never do anything together?” asked Littlefoot audibly disgusted.
“Precisely”, confirmed his grandfather. “Now you see, these rules were considered absolutely normal for a very long time. It had always been that way.”
“I know”, said Littlefoot toneless. He felt reminded to a talk he had had a very long time ago. “Mother told me. She... she too was convinced of these rules, wasn’t she?”
“Oh Littlefoot, you mustn’t think bad of your mother because of that! But yes, she was convinced of it, and so were we, and almost every dinosaur was. Nobody knew anything different and most of us are afraid of what they don’t know. The few who still urged or just suggested that the different kinds should live together rather than divided were not taken seriously.”
“I don’t think you or any other dinosaur of your age ever realized the great changes that have taken place”, Littlefoot’s grandfather continued. “This is also one of the reasons why we didn’t tell you earlier what we will tell you now. You or any of the others should not consider living together with any other kind something unusual. It was probably the lack of food that started to bring the different kinds together, though the real trigger was the big earthshake; the very one that separated you from us back then, same as your friends were parted from their families.”
PS: I moved this topic as it seems to be a discussion on a precise topic rather than an introduction for which the Welcoming forum is meant (though some introductions develope into discussions too ;))

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Had she survived there probably wouldn't have been a film.  Think about it...one of the main messages of the original was to get along with others, no matter what species.  Had Littlefoot's mom been alive, he might've grown up as prejudiced as her.  No guarantees, but he sure was asking his mom a lot of questions that showed her view on the topic.

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyBlueAOFW
Well, I was hoping that she would live. I hate watching movies where a character's mother or any other relative dies, especially in Littlefoot's case, he was only what? 6? In the first film?

Same with Simba in Lion King, he was probaly younger than him.

EDIT: If she did live, she probaly would've been in all the films, and probaly would always been trying to get Littlefoot away from Cera, Ruby, Ducky, Petrie, Spike and Chomper, and maybe even Ali and Shorty too. She'd probaly be the female version of Tospy?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I doubt she'd be like Cera's dad.  Remember she learned those things from her parents and they pretty quickly drop that way of thinking once they are in the great valley and before the 2nd movie starts.   And the way she says, that's the way it's always been, shows she's not fully prejudiced like Cera's dad is.

They could have had her on the other side as her parents were.    Otherwise the movie would be different if she was traveling the whole way with the gang.   Though not a lot of difference perhaps.

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
It all depends on how prejudiced against the other dinosaur races she was. Judging by how fast the herds on the other side of the divide teamed up, you could assume that she could have adapted as fast. After all, it's unlikely that she would have left Cera or any other hatchlings behind to perish.

But let's muse. If she had survived sharptooth's attack (or even returned during the scene with Littlefoot's shadow, the following would have happened.

*Cera probably would still have fallen down the crevasse, unless she decided that an adult was the best person to follow.
*Ducky might have been rescued (since Littlefoot reached the pond she was hiding at after resuming his search), but unless they stopped to eat from the same tree, Petrie might not have been rescued.
*Cera, if she fell down the crevasse, would have alerted them to Sharptooth. Whether or not they took the warning seriously here could have changed things. It is unlikely that Cera would have performed her retelling of the story to Littlefoot's mother, so unless their route went past his egg, Spike might not have been rescued.
*The Longneck herd that devoured the oasis might have met up with them, and teamed up.
*If they had camped at the oasis, Littlefoot's mother might have had to duel Sharptooth again, as she would not have been able to make it through the mountain gap the others escaped through. If she survived this, she could still follow them (Sharptooth managed to, after all).
*If Littlefoot's mother had made it so far, chances are they would have taken a different route into the mountains, meaning the fight with Cera and subsequent journey through the mountains that burn wouldn't have happened.
*Unless they confronted him at the lake, Sharptooth would have followed them into the Great Valley, where chaos would have temporarily broken out.

If the GOF survived the exodus, then the rest of the films would probably have continued as normal, except he might not be as willing to go off on an adventure, as he wouldn't have discovered the ability to survive on his own. Littlefoot's mother would have adapted to co-existing with the other herds after reuniting with Grandma and Grandpa Longneck. However, if some of the GOF were not found...

*Chomper would probably have never met the GOF. (2)
*The Great Valley might have been destroyed by the water shortage. (3)
*Grandpa Longneck would most likely have perished from his sickness, and possibly Littlefoot too, unless Ali managed to rally a rescue, and they continued from there. (4)
*Unless they met Elsie by luck, the GOF might have remained trapped on the Mysterious Island (Chomper might not have even been there). (5)
*If Grandpa Longneck perished in 4, the entirety of 6 would not have occured, save from a visit from Doc.
*If either Ducky or Petrie did not survive, then 7 would have ended with Pterano, Rinkus and Sierra perishing at the volcano, or at least with out Pterano redeeming himself.
*If Spike or Ducky hadn't survived, 8 would not have happened. In fact, if Ducky hadn't survived, Spike wouldn't be living with her family.
*9 and 10 would have largely been the same, except in 10, Littlefoot's herd might have gone with Bron at the end.
*11 probably would have happened the same.
*If Petrie didn't survive, then the Day Of The Fliers wouldn't have been as important to the GOF. Guido would still have met them, but he probably would have disappeared in the night.
*Littlefoot's actions at the start of 13 might have been different. Ultimately, it would all depend on whether his mother would catch him leaving the valley or not. The Yellowbellies would probably still have survived on their own, but their journey would have been interesting, to say the least.

Well, a lot of that's depressing. And it makes me sort of think that could be explored in an "It's A Wonderful Life" or "Back To The Future" style fic.

DarthWill3

• Ruby
    • View Profile
One might say that if Cera had listened to Littlefoot when under attack by Sharptooth, his mom would be still alive.

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyBlueAOFW
Quote from: DarthWill3,Aug 20 2010 on  01:00 PM
One might say that if Cera had listened to Littlefoot when under attack by Sharptooth, his mom would be still alive.
That's what I always thought, so if you got by that, it is acutally Cera's fault Littlefoot lost his mother, but that is just what I think.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: ScratteLover3,Aug 20 2010 on  03:51 PM
That's what I always thought, so if you got by that, it is acutally Cera's fault Littlefoot lost his mother, but that is just what I think.
Keep in mind, though, that Littlefoot could not have known the terrain that well and therefore could not have known if his path was the right one. He might have said "you're going the wrong way" because he believed he chose the right path. That doesn't necessarily mean he did. For all we know, Littlefoot's path might have been worse than what Cera chose, or would have still led to the same consequence (Sharptooth killing his mother). Either way I do not really blame Cera for Littlefoot's mother dying. I can't really say I blame anyone, not even Sharptooth (since he was just acting out his role as a predator).

DarthWill3

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Aug 20 2010 on  03:11 PM
Quote from: ScratteLover3,Aug 20 2010 on  03:51 PM
Keep in mind, though, that Littlefoot could not have known the terrain that well and therefore could not have known if his path was the right one. He might have said "you're going the wrong way" because he believed he chose the right path. That doesn't necessarily mean he did. For all we know, Littlefoot's path might have been worse than what Cera chose, or would have still led to the same consequence (Sharptooth killing his mother). Either way I do not really blame Cera for Littlefoot's mother dying. I can't really say I blame anyone, not even Sharptooth (since he was just acting out his role as a predator).
Of course even if Cera was responsible for the death of Littlefoot's mom, no one ever means for these things to happen. :(

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
I doubt it. Littlefoot's mother came to find Littlefoot; that's how she ended up fighting Sharptooth. Even if Cera had listened to Littlefoot, Littlefoot's mother would have heard the roars, seen Littlefoot missing, and headed in that direction.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Also what exactly did the "wrong way" mean for Littlefoot respectively Cera? I suppose both of them would have tried to head to their own parents. Littlefoot's mother happened to be there. It would have been an interesting what if scenario if it had been Cera's parents instead, or both, Littlefoot's mother and Cera's parents. In any case I do not see any cause to "blame" Cera when we don't even know what exactly was so "wrong" about the way according to Littlefoot.

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
I think he just shouted it randomly, because a second before he had said to wait. Probably he meant for them to both hide there where Sharptooth couldn't get them (could someone check this; I haven't seen the film in a while and so I may be remembering it incorrectly), and then Cera bolted, prompting him to shout after her to stop. He probably just meant for the two of them to go slowly, so Sharptooth wouldn't hear the noise and follow. Littlefoot's shouting might have accidentally  guided Sharptooth to Cera.

Although, it could be that the patch of thorns ahead was thinner, because Sharptooth was able to break through there. Littlefoot may have seen it, and not Cera.

Bruton the Iguanodon