The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Harry Potter

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I'm not saying (no matter which side he may be on) that Snape is a "nice guy". He is a sadist, a tyrant, and an abuser of his postion of power. Snape is a mean character, but I'm not convinced that he is a deatheater.

By the way Dwalin, are you also a fan of J.R.R. Tolkien's books? I'm wondering because of your name.

Dwalin

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Yes, I am. I took this nickname because Dwalin was the first dwarf character that appeared in the saga ( if we consider "the Hobbit" part of it).

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Aye :)
You are not the only one fond of Tolkien around here. I'm sure you will enjoy this place.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Snape was a Deatheater, in Book 5 he showed the DeathEater's mark on his arm after Voldemort had returned. I think that Snape remains  on the Side of "good", Voldemort even referred to that when 'there is One, who I believe has Left me forever" in Book 5. As with a all players playing both sides, Snape has to avoid anything that would betray his true loyalties, that ids why i believe he used the killing curse on Dumbeledore, to prove to Voldemort that he was "loyal". Whether or not Dumbledore is actually dead remains to be seen, great wizards in literature have a way of coming back, see Gandalf's revival as Gandalf the white after his battle with the balrog on Zirikzigal, or Merlin in the Authur stories.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Dwalin

• Chomper
    • View Profile
A last observation about Snape that I forgot to put in the previous posts. To make an example how far did many Snape fans go with their admiration for him: on a Russian forum I found a thread called St.Snape's Cathedral ( it is 98 screen pages long now)! When I told there what I thought about Snape, one of them even tried to explain my dislike for him with my young age. ( I was 18 then and most of them around 30).  :lol

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
People like to think that good lies in everyone... which is true, we all have good within us...but as for Snape, He'll never be a 'goody-goody", he's disliked far too much by Harry and his friends for there to be a repproachment. Maybe Snape will sacrifice himself, but not before all the loose ends are wrapped up..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I despise how Rowling ended the last book. It did not end on someone's deathbed.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Are you referring to the epilogue in particular or to the ending in general?

As for the epilogue I was not too fond of it, but I consider it a legitimate act of self-defense on the part of J. K. Rowling. Had it not been for that ending which left absolutely no doubt whatsoever that the times following the seventh book were not exactly spectacular she would have been vexed by countless fans to write another book. I suppose she is being beleaguered as it is.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I liked the ending.  She gave us a glimpse of the adult life of the main characters and some others.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Overall, i wasn't that pleased with the epilogu either.I was hoping that it would be a bit more detailed as what occupation each of the characters would have and stuff like that.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm quite sure that J.K. Rowling gave detailed information on that in a later interview.

Dwalin

• Chomper
    • View Profile
By the way, was anybody else disappointed by the episode with Fenrir Greyback vs Bellatrix Lestrange? I just don’t get, how did that idiotic maniac manage to beat the strongest werewolf of the world, accompanied by 4 bodyguards? Werewolves were earlier said to be extremely dangerous creatures and Greyback was described as the most powerful of them all, nearly a legendary character ( like count Dracula among the vampires in books of other authors). I think it was not very logical for him to lose that fight: if he was that weak, why did all the wizards fear his congeners?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Because it was not just some idiotic maniac Greyback was fighting. Bellatrix Lestrange is an extremely capable and powerful witch while Greyback didn't have any magic abilities to meet hers. The four body guards were also alluded to be the kind of "riff-raff" from whom nothing should be expected. I consider it more unlikely that Greyback should be vanquished by some school kids during the battle of Hogwarts than by Voldemort's first Lieutenant.

Dwalin

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Maybe you are right, but she should have put more time into it, not just a couple of seconds. They were still five against one and Greyback was the most dangerous of all existent werewolves.
And I doubt Bellatrix was Voldemort's first Lieutenant: even if she was strong and fanatically devoted to Voldemort, she seemed to lack any organizational talent and usually didn’t use her brains, behaving like a Viking berserker who had just eaten some fly agarics. There were other characters much more cunning than her, like Lucius Malfoy or Barty Crouch jr. ( though this one, of course, couldn’t help Voldemort any more by then). And Bellatrix, as I think, could only be used as “cannon fodder”. I even wonder how she, with her manners, managed to stay alive till the end of the last book.
There is another thing I was wondering about: where was Rodolphus Lestrange during the 7-th book events? Voldemort earlier described him as one of his most important followers ( together with his wife and Barty Crouch). So why didn’t he do anything in the books ( he was only mentioned 2 or 3 times)?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It was not my interpretation of Bellatrix as Voldemort's first lieutenant. Right after her death the seventh book reads:
[...], as Voldemort's fury at the fall of his last, best lieutenant exploded with the force of a bomb.
As for Rodolphus Lestrange I first thought that he had been killed in the first war, but I checked it out and the fourth book leaves no doubt that he was taken alive and I think in the fifth book he is one of those breaking into the department of mysteries where he must have been arrested. I agree that it would not have hurt to know about his fate or about that of his brother Rabastan.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
What interested me about the seventh book, was hiow it explained Dumbledore declining health before his death. had snape not killed him, he would have died sometime during book 7 of the curse he incurred on himself by destroying that ring..you remember that ring that dumbeledore destroyed in Book 6 at the cost of his arm?
Winner of these:

Runner up for these: