The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Pterano's Return

Redtooth101

• Spike
    • View Profile
I hope you all enjoy this, Pterano's my favorite character so I feel proud about this fic. This is Chapter one and feedback would be much appreciated.

In the great valley a familiar group of dinosaurs played together, all but one that is. They were all playing a game of ball, Littlefoot weaved past Chomper and then wacked the ball between Ruby's legs and into the goal when he realized something, Petrie who was the goalie didn't even try and stop it.

"Are you alright Petrie?" Littlefoot asked with a worried expression.

"Oh, me fine but it been five cold times already and uncle Pterano still no here" Petrie replied with a sad voice.

"He'll be back someday, he will, he will" Ducky said putting her hand on Petrie's shoulder

"Ha, didn't you see how my daddy ran him off, I bet he's too scared to come back to the great valley" Cera said in her usual smug tone.
Littlefoot was about to say something but someone beat him to it. "I beg to differ" A familiar voice said from a tree, everyone turned their heads to see none other than Pterano revealing himself from the shade of some leaves with a rather sinister smirk on his face.

"Uncle Pterano you come back!" Petrie shouted with joy as he flew up to his uncle and hugged his beak but strangely Pterano did not return the hug. "You good now right?" Petrie asked his uncle looking the large flyer right in the eye.

"Is Pterano good? That's a hard question" a familiar deep voice said as a dark brown flyer landed on the same branch as Pterano.

"Yeh I just can't seem to determine the answer" another familiar voice said as a darkish pink flyer landed next to the brown one.

"Rinkus and Sierra! What they doing here" Petrie said as he let go of his uncle.

"I'm sorry Petrie but I must exact my revenge on the one who foiled my plan" Pterano said and as if on cue Sierra dove down and grabbed Ducky with his talons and flew back up, Pterano and Rinkus followed suit.

"Well I guess that's a no" Rinkus said as he and the two other flyers disappeared into the clouds.

"What we do! What we do!" Petrie panicked while holding his head in his hands.

"We have to tell the grownups and quick" Littlefoot said but as the turned to leave someone landed in front of them.

"Now why would you want to do that" Rinkus said with a smirk on his face.

"Yes, you wouldn't want to get poor innocent Pterano in trouble now would you" Pterano said as he and Sierra were perched on the same tree they were one, Sierra was standing on one foot with Ducky in the other.

"Let Ducky go or I'll…" Cera shouted before she was cut off.

"Oh come on can't you kids take a joke" Sierra said gliding down towards them gently putting Ducky on the ground, shortly after Pterano landed beside him.

"You didn't really think I would be up to my old tricks after what happened last time do you" Pterano said with a smirk. Then surprisingly Ducky giggled.

"I really thought you were still bad Petrie's uncle, I did, I did" she said with a smile.

"Oh no I'm a changed flyer, and just call me Pterano" Pterano said picking up Ducky in his hands. "You children haven't grown much" he said which made them all look down in shame except Cera he 'hpmhed' at this statement.

"So uncle, why you with them?" Petrie asked pointing at the two other flyers. "Me thought they were bad"

"Forgive and forget Petrie, you see when I was banished from the great valley I stopped by to see if I could patch things up with these two and I was successful" Pterano said.

"Yeh, we couldn't stay mad at our old friend" Sierra said nudging Pterano's shoulder.
Suddenly Pterano chuckled to himself noticing the dark purple sharptooth and the pink fastrunner.

"I do say we forgot to introduce ourselves to the new members of this convoy" all the children looked slightly confused but they understood most of what Pterano said.
"I'm Pterano and these are my associates Rinkus and Sierra" Pterano said pointing to the two other flyers.

"I'm Chomper and this is Ruby" Chomper said.

"You're not afraid of Chomper?" Littlefoot asked with and astonished expression.

"Well if he was a threat you wouldn't be playing with him now would you" Pterano said in a mater-of-fact kind of way. Littlefoot just shrugged his shoulders in an I don't know kind of way.

"Hello Petrie's uncle, Petrie's uncle hello" Ruby said waving to Pterano who bore a facial expression of slight confusion.

"She always talks like that, you'll get used to it" Chomper said noticing Pterano's expression.

"Aren't you just the cutest thing" Rinkus said walking over to Chomper and holding Chomper's head in his hands.

"Oh come on Rinkus, the baby spiketail on the way here was cute, the baby sharptooth is cute… what else is cute" Sierras said glaring at Rinkus.

"Her," Rinkus said as a response while pointing at Ducky which caused Sierra to slap himself in the face.

"So uncle you want to go meet elders now so everyone know you back?" Petrie asked excitedly but before Pterano could Answer Sierra's stomach growled.

"Heheh, chow time," the brown flyer simply stated while rubbing his belly.

"I think it's about lunch time now" Pterano said also rubbing his belly.

"You could come eat with us" Petrie said with a big smile.

"Uh, thank you Petrie but we have our, um, preferences" Pterano said a bit nervously. "I'll see you later, farewell" and with that Pterano took off.

"See ya," Sierra said about to take off but he seemed to be waiting for Rinkus.

"Toddles" Rinkus said waving with his fingers rather than his hand. He and Sierra then took off.

"I swear Rinkus you getting gayer by the minute" Sierra said as the two flew away in the same direction as Pterano.

"Well I guess we should go and eat" Cera said walking away, the other followed suit.
All of them were unaware of what the three adult flyers were doing.
In the mysterious beyond not to for from the great valley Pterano, Rinkus and Sierra flew with their eyes to the ground.

"Teenaged hollow-horn on the left!" Sierra shouted to his colleagues.

"Ok you know the plan, we need to make this as quick and clean as possible" Pterano said then he nodded to Rinkus and then the pink flyer broke away from the two others.
The hollow-horn was grazing on what little green food there was and then something caught his attention. He looked up at the sound of screeching and saw a pink flyer coming straight at him with talons poised for attack. Instinctively the hollow-horn fled but was so preoccupied with looking back at the pink flyer he didn't notice a dark brown and light brown flyer head straight for him. By the time he turned around it was too late as the two large flyers struck him, one in the head and one in the chest. The hollow-horn tried to struggle but the light brown flyer quickly ended it by driving his hand claws into the hollow-horn's neck, cutting off its oxygen and causing it to bleed profusely. Satisfied that the hollow-horn was dead the three flyers began to gorge themselves.

"Oh I can't imagine what would happen if Petrie found out at such a tender age" Pterano said after swallowing a chunk of meat.

"Look, all flyers are omnivores and male flyers need to eat meat when they come of a certain age, he'll find out some day so why not now" Sierra said with a piece of meat in his beak.

"And I would think he'd catch on by now I mean why would a leaf eater need claws like these" Rinkus said observing his sharp claws.

"And teeth like these" Sierra added pointing out his pointed teeth.

"Yes well I may have lethal claws but at least my teeth aren't out there for everyone to see" Pterano said. The two other flyers looked at their beaks with a few protruding teeth.

"I would think he'd have seen yours while you talk, you got some real sharp teeth Pterano" Rinkus said before digging back into the carcass.

"Just wait, when his talons and teeth grow in he'll be hunting down crawlers in no time" Sierra said before doing as Rinkus did.

Pterano let out a sigh "It's just life I guess, I hope his friends will understand, most of mine didn't" He finished before also digging in.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
I gotta say you had me going there for a second. I legitimately thought Pterano hadn't changed until Sierra called it a joke.

This sounds like it's going to be a very interesting story. It kind of makes sense that Pterano would resort to eating meat during his time in the Mysterious Beyond, but Petrie is most likely not going to take this well, not to mention his friends or ANY of the elders.

I hope you continue to update this. It has great potential ;)

Redtooth101

• Spike
    • View Profile
Dona is just a name i made up for Petrie's mother, Pteranodon, get it and then i just added an 'a' to make it sound more feminine.

At the top of the great wall Pterano, Rinkus and Sierra stood looking over the great valley. Their beaks and claws were stained with the blood of their latest victim.

"Ok you know the drill. I believe the moving water exits the valley on the west side" Pterano said as he extended his wings in preparation for flight.

"Lead the way Pterano, lead the way" Sierra said. Pterano narrowed his eyes at him remembering what happened the last time Sierra has said that. Without a further word the three flyers took off. When they got to the west wall the river Pterano spoke of was nonexistent.

"I thought you said there was moving water here" Sierra said.

"Well I don't live here" Pterano retorted. "I could have sworn I saw water… there it is" Pterano said as he dove towards a section of the valley almost completely covered by small trees and bushes. Rinkus and Sierra looked at each other and then followed Pterano's lead. The three flyers dove through an opening in the canopy and stumbled upon something magnificent. It seemed to be a miniature paradise, there was a small lake with a waterfall, a bubbling lake and the trees make sure only just enough light got through so it was shady. They all quickly jumped into the lake and started to wash off the blood from their beaks and claws.

"This place is amazing" Rinkus said walking from the lake and shaking himself dry. He then ran towards the bubbling water.

"This could be like our secret spot" Sierra said.

"Guys you have to try this" Rinkus called from the bubbling water. Pterano and Sierra both shook themselves dry and walked over to the water and sat in it. All three flyers laid back and fell asleep.

When Pterano woke up from his relaxing nap he looked around and realized that it was dark. He then felt something on his shoulder; he looked to his right and found Sierra snoozing away on his right shoulder. He then looked to his left and saw that Rinkus was slowly submerging and seemed to be oblivious.

"Wake up you two!" Pterano shouted hitting the two flyers in the face causing Rinkus to nearly drown in his panic.

"What was that for" Rinkus said with anger in his voice.

"It's late and have to find somewhere to stay, but first I want to meet a certain someone" Pterano replied getting out of the water, shaking dry and taking off. Rinkus and Sierra reluctantly did as he did and followed.

At Petrie's nest his mother and siblings were asleep while he sat outside looking into the sky, suddenly he heard the noise of someone landing behind him and saw his uncle and the other two flyers. Petrie was about to say something but his uncle interrupted him.

"Petrie I need you to go get your mother" Pterano said with a soft voice. Petrie nodded and went into the cave to get his mother.

"Mom, someone want to see you" He said with a big smile.

"Who is it Petrie?" she asked as she yawned and got up.

"Come and see" Petrie replied as he grabbed his mother's hand and guided her to the entrance. When she got there she went wide eyed.

"Now sister I know it may not be of a great pleasure to see me but…" Pterano said but was cut off when his sister suddenly hugged him. Pterano was surprised but after a few seconds he returned the hug.

"I was so worried about you. You may not be the best flyer around but you're still my brother" she said coming out from the embrace and looking Pterano right in the eyes.

"Why thank you, I can only hope the other great valley members are at least partly happy to see me" Pterano said looking at all the sleeping dinosaurs.

"Not likely" Sierra said to himself but loud enough for Pterano to hear. Pterano narrowed his eyes at Sierra before turning back to his sister.

"Dona these are my associates, Rinkus and Sierra" Pterano said pointing at the two flyers. Sierra just gave her a quick wave but Rinkus did something very dangerous with Pterano around.

"Hello my flyer from beyond" he said in a flirty manner and then kissing Dona's hand. Pterano growled and started to advance towards Rinkus but luckily Sierra held him back by putting a hand on his shoulder. Rinkus spent a few seconds steering into Dona's eyes then he looked inside the nest and saw Petrie's siblings.

"Oh their adorable" he said walking closer to the nest with a big smile and ruining the moment.

"Just when I thought he realized he was male" Sierra said.

Rinkus then turned back to Pterano's sister. "Well it's obvious that they would be adorable with your good looks"

"That's it, I'm killing him" Pterano said which made Rinkus hide behind Dona.

"Pterano, killing Rinkus would be a bad example for Petrie" Dona said sternly. Petrie just stood there with confusion writing all over his face.

"I suppose, anyway I bid a fare well sister we must find a place to stay for the while" Pterano said.

"See you later" Sierra said before taking off and then landing again. "Um Pterano, where are we suppose to go?" he asked.

"Follow me" Pterano said as he flew off with Sierra in tow.

"I count the seconds we are apart" Rinkus said to Dona before following Pterano.

"Come along Petrie it's time for bed" Dona said before she and Petrie went back into their nest and lay down to sleep.

Not too far from the nest Pterano landed in a large cave opening in the great wall.

"I feel like something is supposed to happen often when I land" he said and soon he realized what that thing was as Sierra ran straight into him and Rinkus ran into Sierra Knocking the three flyers down.

"DÈj‡ Vu" Pterano said barely able to breathe. He found the strength to throw the two flyers off him and turned to Rinkus.

"If you ever flirt with my sister again I'll rip off your tail and use it to strangle you to death" he threatened.

"No wait those where just compliments. Some of them could apply to you, you're a very good looking flyer…um" Rinkus said trying to get on Pterano's good side. He put his hands over his beak when he realized the last thing he said. Pterano stood there for a second with slight shock written on his face but then he frowned again.

"Don't say that ever again as well. Now get some rest we will definitely get some scolding from the elders tomorrow" He said walking towards a large stone.

"You mean you will be getting some scolding" Sierra said which made Pterano shoot him a menacing glare. "I mean we, definitely we" he said before walking to a wall and resting against at as he sat down and closed his eyes.

"Pterano, this place is so hard and cold" Rinkus complained.

"Well make a better nest tomorrow, for now just go and sleep" Pterano said as he lay down on the rock he was walking to a while ago. With a small sigh Rinkus when and sat down next to Sierra and let sleep take him over.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
This is pretty cool, man. Pterano's dialogue suits him just about right, and Rinkus and Sierra have a good personality. Didn't expect the violent part as much, but I'm not complaining.  :)

Maybe that, and Pterano's aggressive response earlier are a foreshadowing of things to come?

Redtooth101

• Spike
    • View Profile
In a cave in the great wall Pterano slowly opened his eyes as the light from the now rising great circle shone in his face. He reluctantly got up and stretched his wing, he then looked over to his friend who were still sleeping and using each other's heads as pillows. Pterano was about to say something when the sound of a nearby tree rustling caught his attention. He looked out of the cave and saw none other the Littlefoot's grandfather gorging himself on some tree-stars. Pterano pondered for a while before deciding to confront the longneck now. He looked around to make sure no one else was around and then flew to the tree and landed and a branch closes to the elderly dinosaur.

"Pterano, you've come back" Mr. Longneck said with slight surprise in his voice and on his face.

"Yes, um I was just wandering if I have to meet with the valley council to announce my return?" Pterano asked.

"Why yes, yes you do. In fact I'll go alert everyone to meet in the meeting place after breakfast. I'll advise you to stay somewhere Mr. Threehorn can't reach" Mr. Longneck said with a slight chuckle.

"Mr. Threehorn? Don't you mean Topsy?" Pterano asked.

"Well we don't really call each other by name" Mr. Longneck answered.

"I see. Well I'll be off, see you at the meeting Rock" Pterano said as he prepared to take flight.

"Nobody has called me that in a long time" Rock said with a smile.

"Yes well even though the age gap between us still exists I'm no longer a hatchling and I see no need to call you Mr. Longneck anymore" Pterano said before flying back to the cave where he now saw that Rinkus was sleeping upside-down and sucking his thumb while Sierra was still sleeping right side-up and using Rinkus' foot as a pillow.

"Well isn't that sweet…" Pterano sarcastically said which made the two flyers open their eyes slightly. "Now get up you beak brains!" he shouted which made Sierra immediately get up and Rinkus fall over before standing up as well.

"You have got to stop doing that" Sierra said with a yawn.

"Listen up you two,I have to go to a meeting to announce my return. The two of you just stay low and wait, I don't want you to get hurt if things get ugly" Pterano said.

"Oh come on Pterano we aren't gonna just leave you" Sierra said.

"That was a direct order, understood?" Pterano said, bearing his teeth slightly. The two flyers just nodded and then all three took off towards the meeting place.

Later in the morning most of the valley dinosaurs had gathered in the meeting place and where talking amongst themselves, then Rock spoke up.

"Alright everyone settle down. I know you are all wondering why you were called here. It is to announce the return of a certain someone"

"Is it that Doc guy, he's nothing but trouble" Topsy said angrily.

"No it's someone that Petrie will be very happy to see"

"Oh no, you don't mean him do you!" Topsy shouted, and then as if on cue Pterano flew in and landed on Rock's head.

"Greetings" he said with a nervous look on his face.

"Now before anyone says anything his sentence of five cold times has past so he is allowed to stay in the great valley" Rock said calmly. Topsy looked as if he was about to explode, then with a loud snort he turned and left the meeting area grumbling to himself.

"I'll just make sure he doesn't tear down the valley walls" Tria said a bit sarcastically before to turned and followed him. Everyone else talked among themselves until Dona flew in.

"Mr. Longneck I have some news" she said.

"Well then tell us Ms. Flyer" Rock said looking at her.

"Well the day of leadership is approaching and the judges are on their way, they should be here in about one rising of the great circle" Dona said. Everyone started talking among themselves again.

"I almost forgot, well we all know what that means. Get your children ready everyone and everyone just try your best. This meeting is over" Rock said afterwards everyone except him, Dona, Pterano, and Ms. Swimmer left.

"Mr. Longneck, Ms. Flyer. Why are you talking to each other in such a way? Why can't we just talk like friends are supposed to, don't you agree Aqua" Pterano said flying down to Ducky's mother.

"Well, I guess so" she replied.

"Oh, I almost forgot. I want you all to meet some friends of mine" Pterano said and just then Rinkus and Sierra landed next to him.

"Hello there" Rinkus said waving to everyone.

"Hi," was Sierra's simple response before he turned to Aqua. "Look I'm really sorry that I kidnapped your daughter, if there is anything I can do to make it up I'll do it" he said.

"No it's alright, the fact is that she didn't get hurt" Aqua said putting a hand on Sierra's shoulder.

"You sure? I could get those really nice treestars from the top of that tree if you wanted" Sierra said as he pointed at a tree to tall for even a longneck to reach.

"No really it's alright" Aqua said with a small chuckle.

"Well I think it's time we go and tell the children practice, I'll go tell Mr. Three… I mean Topsy about this" Rock said and then they all went their separate ways.

"What's the day of leadership?" Rinkus asked as he as well as Dona, Pterano and Sierra flew towards Dona's nest.

"Well on that day the first born offspring of each herd's leader is put through some tests to see if they are worthy to lead. If they fail then they the herd chooses someone else to try." Dona explained.

"Petrie is my sister's first born so he has to take the test" Pterano said.

"Well we'd love to stay and chat but I think that you two need a more private talk with Petrie" Sierra said as he veered off to the left. "Rinkus come on!" he shouted making the pink flyer quickly follow.

Pterano and Dona landed at the entrance to the nest where Petrie greeted them.

"What they say?" he asked.

"Pterano can stay, and the day of leadership is soon" Dona said. Hearing this Petrie hugged his uncle's beak before turning to his mother.

"What day of leadership?" he asked.

"It's the day when the children of the herd's leaders prove they can take over when their parents are too old" Pterano said restraining from using words that Petrie would not understand such as 'resign'. "And due to the fact that your mother is leader of the flyers and you're her first born you have to take that test" he added.

"Technically I'm no longer leader" Dona said which surprised Pterano.

"What! Someone took you place, who is it, I'll find them and get it back" he shouted.

"The one who took it is standing right next to me" Dona calmly replied.

"Me?" Pterano asked with shock written all over his face.

"Yes Pterano, as my older brother and first born of our father it is your right to be leader"

"But no one will listen to me"

"Give them time, you'll be a great leader" The two flyers shared a warm smile but then the moment was ruined by a certain little flyer's panic.

"Me leader! Me can't be leader, being leader need courage and brains, Petrie no got any of those" Petrie said.

"Petrie we believe in you, you have much hidden potential that you have not come across yet" Pterano said.

"Me no want to do it" Petrie said crossing is arms.

"That's like saying you don't want to be a flyer, it's in your blood as I am we are part of each other" Petrie's mother said.

(Rhythm from The Lion King 2 We are One)

Pterano: As you go through life you'll see there is so much them we don't understand

(Petrie sees his brother trying to do a spin and smiles)

Pterano: And the only thing we know is things don't always go the way we planed

(Petrie's brother fails to do the spin and falls on a tree branch, Petrie frowns)

Dona: But you'll see every day that we'll never turn away when it seems all your dreams come undone

(They fly down and see a baby threehorn just learning to stand and it starts charging at its mother, Petrie bores a big smile)

Dona: We will stand by your side filled with hope and filled with pride

Dona & Pterano: We are more than we are we are one

(The three flyers fly through the valley and then stop at a lake where a family of bigmouths is playing, Petrie looks into the water)

Petrie: If there's so much me must be can me still just be me the way we am

(A fish jumps out of the water and back in, distorting Petrie's reflection. He then looks up at the sky)

Petrie: Can me trust in me own heart or is me just one part of some big plan

(Pterano lands on a bare tree and sings as the wind blows past him)

Pterano: Even those who are gone are with us as we go on your journey has only begun

(Petrie and his mother land next to Pterano and his mom put's a hand on Petrie's shoulder)

Dona: Tears of pain tears of joy one thing nothing can destroy is our pride deep inside we are one

(The three flyers fly through the valley and in the direction of their nest)

Dona: We are one you and I we are like the earth and sky one Family under the sun

(They land on a perch above the nest)

Pterano: All the wisdom to lead all the courage that you need you will find when you see we are one

(Pterano and Dona look towards a tall rock where the lead flyer is suppose to sit, they then look and Petrie who has a worried expression)

"As long as you live here it's who you are" Dona said patting Petrie on the head and then flying into the nest.

"You'll understand someday" Pterano said putting a hand on Petrie's shoulder and then flying off to his own nest.

Petrie looked at the valley for a while before flying off to meet his friends.

Redtooth101

• Spike
    • View Profile
Note 'Cheirus' is pronouced 'Cyrus' and he is an Ornithocheirus. A sky-reacher longneck is a Brachiosaurus.

Pterano was walking around his sister's nest observing every aspect of it; he had to crouch a bit because this nest was obviously not fit for a flyer of his size.

"I don't find this fit for a member of my family" Pterano said as he turned to his sister.

"What's that supposed to mean" Dona said as she glared at Pterano.

"I could defiantly do better than this but I guess it's acceptable for you" Pterano replied while he passed his claw on the wall and looked at it to see how much loose dirt there was.

"Pterano," Dona said in a threatening tone as she clenched her fists. Pterano visibly recoiled at this.

"Look the great circle is already that low I must get going now, places to be people to see" Pterano said hastily as he walked past his sister and flew off.

"I can't wait for the leadership test, and then you'll see how great threehorns really are" Cera said to her friends as they were all sitting near a lake.

"I think we'll all do good, do you guys think so" Littlefoot said with a smile.

"Oh yes we will, we will…except for Spike there is no spiketail heard for him to lead oh no, no, no" Ducky said as she walked up to her adopted brother and gently pat him on the head.

"There isn't a fast-runner or sharptooth pack either, and if there was a sharptooth pack there probably wouldn't be any other herd" Ruby said which made Chomper chuckle lightly.

"Petrie, it's time to go home!" Pterano called from above.

"I guess we should all go and get some rest" Littlefoot said as he got up and yawned. Everyone said their goodbyes and went towards their nests or in Chomper and Ruby's case the secret caverns.

Pterano flew towards the cave that he shared with Rinkus and Sierra and was confused to see Sierra standing on a tree branch just outside the cave with a look of annoyance on his face. He landed next to Sierra and asked why he was just sitting there.

"Rinkus is fixing up the place and he doesn't want anyone messing with his work" Sierra replied in a tone that made it obvious that the flyer was irritated by this.

"Alright, it's ready!" Rinkus called down to the two flyers that then flew up to the nest and went wide eyed at what they saw. There were two perfectly woven leaf beds and the left of the nest; one was bigger than the other. On the right side the stone that Pterano had slept on the last time was covered in a thick layer of leaves. The entire floor was covered with a thin layer of leaves.

"This is magnificent" Pterano said as he walked in and realized that the floor felt soft. He then walked off to his bed and realized that it was soft too as he touched it. He saw a strange almost rectangular object on his bed, as he picked it up he felt that it was extra soft.

"How did you make this so ft?" Sierra asked as he touched the bigger of the two beds on the left on the cave.

"My mom showed me a trick where you put soft dirt in between two layers of leaves and that make it soft" Rinkus replied with a wide smile.

"You mean you did that for the whole floor and what are these things?" Pterano asked holding up the rectangular object.

"Yup, it took some time but at least it's not hard and cold anymore, and my mom called those things pillows" Rinkus replied

"Well I know I'll be getting some good sleep tonight" Sierra said as he lay down in his bed and made himself comfortable. "Thanks Rinkus" Sierra said looking at the flyer.

"No problem, anything for my friends" Rinkus said as he got into his bed.

"Do you two remember how we first met" Pterano said with a small chuckle as he too got into bed.

"Oh yah" Rinkus replied.

"Like it was yesterday" Sierra said. Pterano looked up at the ceiling as he remembered their meeting.

(Flash back)

A large black and red eyed flyer was flying through the mysterious beyond with a small light brown flyer struggling to keep up.

"Dad why we not stay with mom and Dona" the little one whined.

"You are destined for greatness Pterano, and I won't leave you in the hands of that irresponsible female to ruin you" the large black flyer replied.

"Me tired" Pterano whined, his father just rolled his eyes before he spoke up.

"Fine we'll take a short break" his father said as he descended and Pterano followed. The two of them landed next to a cliff with a few large holes in them that where slightly elevated.

"It look like flyers live here, but then abandon it" Pterano said as he looked into one of the lower holes and saw the sticks that signaled a flyers nest.

"Yeh, abandon," his father said lowly as he saw the footprint of a sharptooth and passed his claw in a pool of blood that still felt fresh. Pterano continued to look into many different holes then his eyes widened as he look into one of the higher holes and saw two small flyers shaking and holding each other close in fear. One of them was bark brown and had a short tail and no crest, the other was pink and had a long tail and no crest.

"Hi me Pterano" he said but the flyers didn't respond. "What happen to your family?" he asked as he walked closer to the frightened flyers.

"Sh-Sh-Sh-Sharpteeth" the dark brown one replied.

"So you no have family no more?" Pterano asked with a concerned expression. The two flyers nodded slowly. "Well now you do" Pterano said with a wide smile. The two flyers cracked two weak smiles as the let go of each other and walked over to Pterano.

"I'm Sierra" the dark brown one said.

"And I'm Rinkus" the pink one said.

"Pterano let's get going!" Pterano's father shouted from down below. Rinkus and Sierra were startled by the flyers booming voice.

"Dad come and see what me find!" Pterano called down, then his father flew up to the whole and landed at the entrance. Rinkus and Sierra shivered as the lay their eyes on the massive black flyer.

"Who are these whelps?" Pterano's father asked coldly.

"They Rinkus and Sierra, they no have a family so my thought they could come with us" Pterano said nervously. His father stared down at the two flyers with his piercing red eyes.

"The dark brown one looks like he has potential but I'm not sure about the pink one…oh what the hell if they'll keep you out of my scales then let's go" Pterano's father said then took off into the air.

"Thanks" Sierra said to Pterano in almost a whisper before the three small flyers took off after Pterano's father.

(End flash back)

Pterano made a sigh of happiness as he looked over to Rinkus and Sierra who where now fast asleep and then closed his eyes as he too drifted into sub consciousness.

The next morning Rinkus and Sierra had gotten up early to give Pterano a taste of his own medicine; they snuck up on the sleeping flyer and then took a deep breath in.

"Wake up Pterano!" they both shouted causing the large flyers to fall out of bed in shock. Then the two flyers burst into laughter as Pterano got up and dusted himself of.

"Well I guess I had that coming," Pterano said with a smile "Since I'm up I guess I'll stretch my wings" with that Pterano walked over to the mouth of the cave and took off, he circled a few time before flying out to the mysterious beyond. Not too far from the valley Pterano spotted a group of dinosaurs heading in the direction of the valley, he was confused to see an red longneck, grey flyer, dark gray threehorn and a dark green hollow-horn swimmer all in a group. He then got a good look at the flyer and a large smile made its way to Pterano's face and then he raced back to the valley where most of the residents where now just waking up.

"The judges are coming, their almost here!" he shouted out as he flew over head causing all the valley dinosaurs to fully awaken and some started to get a bit exited. Not too long after Pterano's alert the judges walked through into the valley and everyone was there to greet them.

"Welcome to the great valley, it is to my understanding that you are the leadership judges" Mr. Longneck said to the group of dinosaurs. The flyer stood in the threehorns frill so that he wasn't too low down as he spoke. He was a beak-crest flyer, his kind where very large compared to other flyers and at the end of a male's beak where two semi-circle shaped crests, one on top and one at the bottom.

"Indeed we are. I am the judge on the flyers, Cheirus. These are the longneck, swimmer and threehorn judges, Crimson, Hydro and Tric respectively" Cheirus said gesturing towards the three dinosaurs behind him, the longneck in this case was a sky-reacher longneck. "The longneck test will start today when the great circle is at its highest, the threehorn test will begin tomorrow, the swimmer test after that and then lastly the flyer test" Cheirus said then the threehorn he was standing on walked back as the longneck came forward.

"Leader of the great valley longneck heard step forward" he said in a stern voice, Littlefoot's grandpa then came forward. "You're a little old to be leader, do you have no children?" Crimson asked.

"Well I had a daughter but she…" Mr. Longneck just looked down at his feet. Crimson then realized what must have happened.

"Accept my condolences on your daughter's death. Heir to the longneck leader step forward" Crimson said never losing the seriousness in his voice. Littlefoot stood there thinking what an heir was before his grandma pushed him forwards.

"That you Littlefoot go now" she said softly.

"May I have your names?" Crimson asked.

"My name is Rock, this is my grandson Littlefoot" Mr. Longneck said in a voice equally as serious as Crimson's.

"Leader Rock and heir Littlefoot you are to meet me at the fast water when the great circle is at its highest so that the heir may take the test. Is that understood" Crimson said. The two longnecks nodded as a response and with that Crimson, Tric and Hydro walked away. Cheirus then came forward.

"Domeheads, spiketails or should I say spiketail and surprisingly crested fast-runner and sharptooth we are unable to give you a test of leadership as you herds are to miniscule, my apologies" the grey flyer said and then took off in the direction of the other judges.

Redtooth101

• Spike
    • View Profile
By the way here is my fanfiction.com account to check out my other story. http://www.fanfiction.net/~nukascar101

It was noon time in the great valley and Littlefoot and his grandfather were at the fast water were Crimson stood steering at the two longnecks before he spoke up.

"Littlefoot being leader doesn't mean you do thing alone, if you are to pass this test you must remember that you have your whole herd behind your back or in this case your grandfather" Crimson said in his usual tone of voice. He then turned to the water rushing by. "To pass the test you must get a tree star to the rack over there," he said pointing at a rock in the opposite direction of the water then he looked down at Littlefoot. "But, that tree star must be delivered there carrying a small amount of water with it; the water must get there with the tree star and must be held in the tree star when it is laid down. Understood" Crimson finished looking at Littlefoot who nodded as a response with a serious expression on his face.

"First to get a tree star" Littlefoot said to himself. "The ones right on top can bend to carry water" he said turning to a tree then turning to his grandfather. "Hey grandpa could you get a tree star from the top of a tree for me?" he asked.

"Of course Littlefoot" his grandpa answered, he then bit of a tree star from the top of the tree and put it on the ground next to Littlefoot.

Littlefoot thanked his grandpa then went over to the water with the tree star. He took some water in his mouth and then spat it onto the tree star, he then began to drag the leaf for a while but then the water moved to one side and poured out of the leaf.

"Two chances left" Crimson said, Littlefoot looked at him confusedly. "Oh I didn't tell you, you only have three chances and that was your first" Crimson added.

Littlefoot thought for a few second before remembering what Crimson said, 'your whole herd is behind you'. He then called for his grandpa and whispered in his ear when the longneck brought his head down. Littlefoot repeated what he had done before but this time used his tail to gently push the tree star on his nos. 'Sometimes it's good to be a flathead' he thought then his grandfather brought his head down until it was on the ground so that Littlefoot could climb aboard. After Littlefoot was on his grandfather carefully brought his head up and walked to the rock. Littlefoot struggled to keep the leaf balanced on his head until he ultimately failed as the water poured out of the leaf and onto the head of the old longneck that was carrying him.

"One chance left Littlefoot, make it count" Crimson said sternly.

Littlefoot was set back onto the ground by his granddad; he then sat down and began to think up a plan. As he pondered a voice entered his head which sounded like the large flyer that had been traveling with Crimson, 'A leader must be cunning' it said. The young longneck thought for another second before a plan popped into his head, he turned to the longneck known as his grandfather as he spoke.

"Hey grandpa can you take the tree star to the rock, but don't put it down until I get there" he asked. Rock looked at his grandson with a confused expression but just complied knowing that Littlefoot had an idea.

"Of course" he answered and then took the tree star to the rock. Littlefoot then walked over to the water and slurped some up into his mouth but didn't swallow it; he then walked towards the rock with a mouthful of water. Crimson looked at Littlefoot's action with a puzzled look on his face.

When Littlefoot got to the rock he used his head to motion for his grandpa to put the leaf down. The old longneck looked at his grandson with a puzzled look before his eyes widened in realization. He slowly brought the leaf down to the rock but not yet letting it go, Littlefoot then spat the water into the leaf and then the old longneck let go of it. Littlefoot looked at Crimson with a triumphant smile.

"Well you did manage to get the tree star and the water there at the same time, and it did take some cunning and good thinking to do what you just did…" the red longneck stood there for a while with a thinking expression on his face then he spoke up "Littlefoot, grandson of herd leader Rock I am proud to say that you have passed the test of leadership" Crimson said and cracked a small smile. Cheirus and the other judges who were looking not too far away had a surprised look on their faces.

"It takes something very special to make him smile" Cheirus said as he flew up and landed on Tric's frill.

"Yeh usually he's as boring as a long neckture, ha, get it, lecture and neckture cuz he's a longneck" the threehorn said while chuckling to himself.

"For the last time Tric you're as funny as being dead" Hydro said in a rough voice.

"Would you two stop with the puns and similes, let's go and set up the other tests you know the flyers test may take a while to prepare. Tric get the threehorn test ready by tonight and no funny business" Cheirus said as they all turned to leave.

"Funny business," Tric muttered in between chuckles "That's my specialty" he said as they walked away.

"Now Littlefoot you have the choice of choosing a new name that will be used when you become leader" Crimson said his serious expression had returned quickly.

"Really, did you do that grandpa?" Littlefoot asked turning to is grandfather.

"Why yes I did Littlefoot and so did you father, he had your name before he chose Bron" Rock answered.

"Well ok, how about…" Littlefoot stopped to think but then he got it. "Heavyfoot" he said with a determined expression.

"If that is your choice then so it is" Crimson said.

In the tall trees Cera, Ducky, Spike and Petrie where listening to Pterano, Sierra and Rinkus tell them stories of the mysterious beyond although Cera looked like she wasn't really paying attention.

"Hey guys!" Littlefoot shouted as he ran up to them and came to a sudden halt "I passed the test!" he said joyfully. All the children cheered for a few seconds and when they were done Pterano did a slow clap.

"I knew you could do it" he said.

"Well I didn't" Sierra said just for spite.

"Well if you can do it then obviously I'll pass my test" Cera said with her head held high.

"Passing a leadership test sure makes me hungry, let's get something to eat" Littlefoot said. Spike nodded slowly with a wide smile.

"Spike is ready to eat, he is, he is" Ducky said with a giggle.

"Spike always ready to eat" Petrie said. He then turned to his uncle "So uncle you eat with us now" he said hopefully.

"Well..." Pterano said as he turned to look at Rinkus and Sierra who both nodded slightly. "Alright"

They all found a large bush and started to eat. Rinkus picked a few leaves and stacked them on one of his claws. Cera looked at him with a puzzled look she then looked at Sierra and Pterano and saw then when they bit a leaf they left a very clean bit mark as if they were cutting through them.

"What are you looking at Cera?" Littlefoot asked.

"Them, have you realized how sharp their claws are, Petrie's mom doesn't have claws that sharp" Cera said. Littlefoot looked at the flyers and saw what Cera was talking about. Sierra then stopped eating and glared and the two children.

"What are you looking at you little…" he started but was cut off by Pterano.

"Sierra, calm down will you" Pterano scolded.

"Why should I they're the ones staring" the dark brown flyer retorted. As the two flyers spook Littlefoot got a small glimpse of their teeth and gasped a little.

"What's your problem whelp" Sierra said, obviously annoyed at this time.

"Why are your teeth so sharp" Littlefoot asked. Both flyers and Rinkus who was in ear shot with a beak-full of leaves went wide eyed. Rinkus made a loud gulp as he swallowed what was in his beak.

"What are you talking about, we're leaf eaters just like you, yes" Rinkus said nervously.

"My, look at the great circle come Petrie back to the nest" Pterano said hastily and took off Petrie then said a quick goodbye before chasing after his uncle.

"I've got the nest to fix" Rinkus said as his excuse and then flew off.

Cera then looked at Sierra. "Are you gonna answer the question or just make an excuse.

"Uh, I don't like you" Sierra said and then flew off.

"That wasn't even an excuse!" the threehorn shouted at him. She looked at the sky and realized that the great circle was starting to set. "Well I guess we should go home" she said. Everyone said goodbye and went their separate ways.

Petrie and Pterano landed at Dona's nest followed shortly by Rinkus and Sierra.

"I thought you said you had to fix the nest" Sierra said to the pink flyer.

"I lied, what was your excuse" Rinkus said, Sierra just chuckled to himself as an answer. Just then Dona walked out of the nest and in one second Rinkus was already in front of her, on one of his knees. "We meet again, your beauty never wears thin" he then took her hand and kissed it. Pterano looked almost like he was about to explode.

"Momma is Rinkus me new daddy?" Petrie innocently asked. An awkward silence came upon everyone. Petrie sensed this and decided to change the subject slightly. "Speaking of dads what happen to me dad, me never see him" Petrie asked. All the adult flyers then had sad looks on their faces, Rinkus had let go of Dona's hand and walked back over to Pterano and Sierra.

"It's time to sleep Petrie" Dona said as she walked back into the nest, Petrie slowly followed.

Pterano, Rinkus and Sierra paused for a second before flying too their own nest. When they all got the Sierra went straight to bed without even saying a word. Pterano just sat on his bed looking at the ground. Rinkus looked at the two flyers sadly.

"That was some close call with the longneck uh" he said looking at Sierra with a small smile trying to get his mind of that. The larger flyer just grunted. Rinkus' smile faded away, he then turned to Pterano. "I guess your gonna hit me now, for flirting with your sister" he said.

"Not now Rinkus I'm thinking" Pterano said not bothering to look at the pink flyer.

"Goodnight" Rinkus said softly has he slowly walked to his bed and fell asleep.

Pterano laid down and closed his eyes a for a few seconds he struggled to sleep but then as he drifted in sleep old memories popped back up.

(Flashback)

A nearly full grown Pterano and Sierra where flying straight towards each other then when they were about to collide they locked talons and hand claws and then began to fall from the sky head first. They looked at each other woth determined faces and at the last moment the parted and flew in separate directions. The two flyers did a loop before landing next to each other with two thuds, their talons digging into the ground on impact. They both stood as upright as possible as if presenting themselves. Then a large black crested flyer with red eyes walked about of the shadow of a cave slowly clapping.

"Pterano, Sierra you two are advancing by the minute" he said in a low voice.

"Thank you father" Pterano said.

"Well Shadow, we did learn from the best" Sierra said, calling the flyer who had taken him in by his name. Just then a pink longtail flyer of the same age as Pterano and Sierra landed and screeched to a halt, his talons making a high pitch screech as the dragged on the ground.

"Shadow, there are two crested flyers in our boundaries, own female and one male, I think they're looking for new territory" the flyer said.

"Thanks for the update Rinkus. Pterano now is the time to show you have what it takes to lead" Shadow said turning to his son.

Not too far away the two flyers mentioned where perched on a rock. The male was the same color as Petrie and the female was blue.

"Dact are you sure this is a good idea, shouldn't we find some land that isn't taken" the female said to the large but not fully grown male.

"Don't worry Dona, I want to best for our children and I'm ready to fight for it. Besides there almost no chance I'll lose" Dact said. What he said was very true, he was one of the largest flyers of his kind and he had three of the five features that showed how strong a male was. He had sharp talons, a long straight beak and pointed teeth, even though only his front teeth where sharp and the others were flat. Although his crest wasn't that much larger than a female's and his hand claws where also average most males only had two features which made him quite unique.

As Dact scanned the area a loud screech was heard, the screech of another male. Dact bellowed is own battle cry before taking to the air. When he was there he was a light brown flyer emerge from behind a tree and take off towards him. Dona looked at this male and what she feared had come true, Dact had bitten off more than he could chew. From what she could this flyer had all the features that a male could have, Long hand claws and talons, I very long, straight, and sharp beak lined with only pointed teeth not a flat one in sight and a crest almost as long as his beak. Little did she know that this was actually her own brother.

Dact and Pterano circled for a few second and then Pterano lunged and Dact but the brown flyer quickly flew up avoiding the attack, Pterano turned around and snapped at Dact with his beak several times but missed on every time as the other flyer kept dodging. Dact then decided to launch his own attack and used is talons to scratch Pterano on the back and then snap at the light brown flyer. Pterano put some distance between then at he dove down and then began to fly away. Dact the chased after him determined to make sure he left; to anyone it seemed that Pterano was running away but he had a plan. He began to fly higher with Dact on his tail he then leveled out when he was just below a cloud and then flew up into it. Dact flew in after him.

Dona looked at the cloud they had entered with fear written all over her face. Then she say Dact fly out unharmed, she let out a sigh of relief but it only lasted a few second as what she saw next she would never forget. Pterano flew out of the cloud directly about Dact with talons ready. He struck the weaker flyer tearing his wings; he then grabbed Dact's shoulders and began to dive. Pterano and Dact came hurtling towards the ground and then at the last moment Pterano let go of Dact and spread his wing enabling him to fly away but Dact hit the ground in so much force it made a small crater. Pterano then flew back up and then landed on Dact's body with deliberate force. He smirked at the bloody mess that the flyer now was. He walked off Dact and took a few steps back as Dona came flying towards them. She stopped right next to Dact with tears already flooding her eyes.

"Dact please talk to me" she just managed to say.

"T-T-Take…c-care….of our…ch-chi-children" Dact said with a shaky voice and spitting out some blood.

"I will," Dona said while placing a hand on her stomach. "I love you" She said placing her hand on his.

"I love…you too…Dona" Dact said his final word before going limp and surrendering his soul to the afterlife.

When Dact said the name of his mate Pterano went wide eyed.

"Dona," he said softly.

"Don't talk to me you monster, and if you think I'll be you mate your sadly mistaken!" she shouted.

"No, I'm…your… your brother" Pterano said.

"What?" Dona said out of confusion.

"It's me, Pterano"

"Pterano, you…" Dona began but was cut of when Rinkus, Sierra and Shadow landed next to Pterano.

"Great work Pterano, great work" Shadow said patting his son on the back.

"Well hello gorgeous, is this you pitiful excuse for a mate" Rinkus said as he lightly kicked Dact's dead body.

Dona was about to say something but Sierra spoke before she could. "Look babe, unless you wanna be of any use to us I suggest you get out of here" he said, winking when he said 'use'. Without hesitation Dona took off into the air and was out of sight. Pterano's eyes stayed glues to her as she flew away.

"Come on son there are other out there, she didn't seem that good" Shadow said.

"No it's not that, she was my sister" Pterano said trying to hide the sadness in his voice.

"Was she now, and you killed her mate" Shadow said and then chuckled happily. "Pterano you make me more proud every day serves her right. Be raised by that irresponsible, dim-witted…" Shadow said with his voice turning into a loud grumble as he took off.

Pterano looked in the direction she left for a few seconds. "Yes, serves her right" he said darkly and then took off in the direction of his father, Rinkus and Sierra soon following.

(End flashback)

Pterano's eyes shot open and he then started looking all around the cave.

'It's in the past' he thought to himself.

'You got too many secrets Pterano' a dark voice sneered in his head.

'Who are you?' Pterano mentally asked the voice.

'Don't you know you own father's voice' the voice said.

'Father, you've done enough damage, leave me alone!'

'Fine, you're off the branch for now Pterano but just you wait I'll be back' Shadow's voice said and then broke into a sinister laugh that slowly faded away.

Sure that the memories had left him Pterano closed his eyes and went back to sleep.

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Review of chapter one:

That is a very nice opening. It added a very realistic, natural touch, as sports have been played numerous times in LBT history. As such, when I began reading, it was like actually watching one of the movies. You’re good at describing action scenes; I could easily visualize the movements you described throughout the game.

Littlefoot was a wise choice to show concern for Petrie, as he is often referred to as the heart of the group, and as especially shown in movie thirteen, he has a high tendency to worry about others. You skillfully incorporated the general time period the gang is in, giving the readers the ability to know when this takes place. Using Pterano’s punishment as a focus, we now know that this takes place around five years after the seventh movie.

You handled the personalities with good precision. Ducky was comforting to Petrie, and Cera was downright rude, as usual. You incorporated that “Speak of the devil!” technique well by bringing Pterano in just as they were speaking about him. Now, here is where I run into my first qualm with the story. As a joke, Pterano pretends to kidnap Ducky. Sure, that can be a clever tactic to throw readers off, setting them up for a surprise, but I feel that this situation was too delicate to use such a thing. Let me explain.

Let’s say I stole from a grocery store. I was then caught and jailed for a year. Do you think I’m going to walk straight out of jail at the end of my term and pretend to do what threw me in in the first place? That is a sure fire way to get people to doubt I had a change of heart. It would show that stealing is still on my mind. Pretending to commit another crime could easily get me thrown right back into jail. On that note, I’d bet that if the grown-ups had seen this prank, they still wouldn’t want Pterano anywhere near their kids. In fact, I’d wager that Mr. Threehorn might’ve even had him banned again for pulling something like that. Pterano is very clever, very calculating, so it just seems a bit odd that he would risk getting kicked out again right upon his return.

In continuation of that, the gang didn’t have a normal reaction to that. You’d think they’d be angry at him for tricking and scaring them like that. However, you simply have the children make casual conversation with him right afterwards as if nothing had happened. That would be like me getting into your car, driving it out of sight as if to steal it, then coming back to have you start talking about the weather. I feel that the characters should have had a bit more of a negative reaction than they did to Pterano’s joke.

I enjoyed the way you sort of tricked the reader into thinking those three flyers wouldn’t cause trouble this time. After their chat with the children, it seemed as if they were reformed and posed no more threat. By doing so, their meal caused a great deal of surprise to the readers. I for one was certainly going, “Whoa.” However, your impact didn’t end there. You created a destiny for Petrie that has caused a lot of controversy in regards to Chomper. Now we see we have two children that are going to start needing meat as they grow older.

The flyer attack on the young dinosaur was nicely descriptive, though not for the faint of heart. May want to give a fair warning or perhaps a teen rating for those with weak stomachs. The ending was very well done. You set a broad stage for the story to continue. We now know that Pterano’s presence, at least with his meals, is going to cause an issue eventually. You also prepared direct trouble in the gang by addressing that Petrie will one day be doing the same thing. When Pterano mentioned that some of his friends didn’t accept it, it gave the readers this apprehension, wondering what Littlefoot and the others will do when they find out. In doing so, you have perked the readers’ curiosity, making them want to read on to find out what happens with that.

In a basic overview, you clearly have writing talent. You know how to set the stage for both openings and endings, and you understand the basics of how the characters react and interact. You added some extra flavor to a lesser-known character (Rinkus) by showing a less masculine side than what was shown in the movie. You didn’t change the facts, you merely added to them something a writer should do to keep the story fresh. A lot of grammar issues, but still completely understandable. I encourage you to continue on, because this story so far as the elements to be a great success. That’s my two cents on “Pterano’s Return chapter one.”

Grammar issues:

Let's take a look at that first sentence: "In the great valley a familiar group of dinosaurs played together, all but one that is."

For starters, the Great Valley is a specific place, and places are capitalized. I don't live in loogootee, indiana. I live in Loogootee, Indiana. Secondly, there should be a comma after valley. When you have a partial sentence separated by a complete sentence, a comma separates them from each other. Thirdly, this may be more of a matter of opinion, but that last segment may work better with a more significant pause than a mere comma. I think it would sound better with a dash instead. I would write that sentence as, “In the Great Valley, a familiar group of dinosaurs played together- all but one that is.”

Now for the second sentence: “They were all playing a game of ball, Littlefoot weaved past Chomper and then wacked the ball between Ruby's legs and into the goal when he realized something, Petrie who was the goalie didn't even try and stop it.”

That, my friend, is a run-on sentence. You are using commas where periods belong. Also, “wacked” should have an “h.” Thirdly, your pronoun reference is unclear. We as readers don’t know if your “he” is referring to Littlefoot or Chomper. They are both males in the sentence that that pronoun is used it. In my example, I will assume you meant Littlefoot. Next, you have a parenthetical element in the last part that wasn’t set apart by commas. A parenthetical element is a part of a sentence that can be removed without changing the meaning of the sentence. In “Petrie who was the goalie didn’t even try and stop it” the element I’m speaking of is “who was the goalie.” That should be set apart by commas.

Examples: Mary, who was the mailman’s wife, came over for a cup of sugar.

Indiana, known as the Hoosier state, is where I live.

Cauliflower, a very healthy vegetable, makes me gag.

Do you see the parenthetical elements in each? They add flavor to the sentence, but can be removed while keeping the sentence complete, just like how you can salt steak for more flavor, but removing the salt still keeps the meat good. Whenever you have these in a sentence, you need to set them apart with commas.

Now, here is how I’d write that: “They were all playing a game of ball. Littlefoot weaved past Chomper and then whacked the ball between Ruby's legs and into the goal. Then Littlefoot realized something: Petrie, who was the goalie, didn't even try and stop it.”

Now, you may wonder why I added a colon before “Petrie.” The reason for me writing that last sentence in such a way, is that one of the colon’s uses is to introduce a consequence or effect of a fact stated before.

Examples: There was only one possible explanation: the bear had killed the man.

After going through her dresses, Julia knew what she had to do: she had to wear her purple one.

With a bite of her cake visible, and a young boy with frosting on his lip, she concluded what had happened: the boy had taken a bite.

The colons are setting the stage for what happens next. “Littlefoot realized something.” That sets the stage for something to be revealed, which is that, “Petrie, who was the goalie, didn’t even try to block it.”

Next sentence. "Are you alright Petrie?" Littlefoot asked with a worried expression.
When addressing someone, you always put a comma before and/or after the name, depending on where it lands in the quote. It should be like this: "Are you alright, Petrie?" Littlefoot asked with a worried expression.

Examples:

“Jeremy, I need you to pick some eggs.”

“I want you to do me a favor, Carol.”

“Look up, Kacie, so I can see your face.”

If it starts the sentence, put a comma after. If it ends, put a comma before. If it falls into the middle, put one before and after.

Next. "Oh, me fine but it been five cold times already and uncle Pterano still no here" Petrie replied with a sad voice.

Good job holding true to Petrie’s poor grammar, but you forget the punctuation at the end of the quote.

"Oh, me fine but it been five cold times already and uncle Pterano still no here," Petrie replied with a sad voice.

Same thing here, but you missed the end of the sentence as well.

"He'll be back someday, he will, he will" Ducky said putting her hand on Petrie's shoulder

"He'll be back someday, he will, he will," Ducky said putting her hand on Petrie's shoulder.

Another run-on, another lack of quotation punctuation, and another lack of place capitalization. "Ha, didn't you see how my daddy ran him off, I bet he's too scared to come back to the great valley" Cera said in her usual smug tone.

Let’s try it like this:

"Ha, didn't you see how my daddy ran him off? I bet he's too scared to come back to the Great Valley," Cera said in her usual smug tone.

By the way, this should be two paragraphs:

"Ha, didn't you see how my daddy ran him off, I bet he's too scared to come back to the great valley" Cera said in her usual smug tone.
Littlefoot was about to say something but someone beat him to it. "I beg to differ" A familiar voice said from a tree, everyone turned their heads to see none other than Pterano revealing himself from the shade of some leaves with a rather sinister smirk on his face.

Now, let’s take a look at that second paragraph, starting with sentence one:

“Littlefoot was about to say something but someone beat him to it.”

There is a formula for this kind of comma placement. S,+S. Unabbreviated, it goes: Sentence comma plus sentence. When you have a conjunction (for, and, not, but, or, yet, so) you need to look at both sides of it. If one side has a dependent clause, or fragment, if you will, then you don’t need the comma. If, however, both sides can stand alone, you need a comma before the conjunction.

Examples:

Katie wanted to read her book, but Amy played her music too loud.

Both sides of the conjunction can stand alone. Katie wanted to read her book. Amy played her music too loud. Therefore, you need a comma before the “but.”

Katie loved her new CD so played it all night.

“Katie loved her new CD,” can stand alone. “Played it all night,” cannot, so you have no need for a comma there.

In the end, that sentence should read as: “Littlefoot was about to say something, but someone beat him to it.” Why? Because “Littlefoot was about to say something,” and “Someone beat him to it,” can stand alone as sentences.

Next. "I beg to differ" A familiar voice said from a tree, everyone turned their heads to see none other than Pterano revealing himself from the shade of some leaves with a rather sinister smirk on his face.

Another lack of quotation punctuation and it’s another run-on. Also, you’re lacking a preposition with the tree. Try this:

"I beg to differ," a familiar voice said from behind a tree. Everyone turned their heads to see none other than Pterano revealing himself from the shade of some leaves with a rather sinister smirk on his face.

Next. "Uncle Pterano you come back!" Petrie shouted with joy as he flew up to his uncle and hugged his beak but strangely Pterano did not return the hug.

Another lack of a comma after a name in a quote. Also, this sentence is kind of wordy. Let’s break it up.

"Uncle Pterano, you come back!" Petrie shouted with joy as he flew up to his uncle and hugged his beak. Strangely, Pterano did not return the hug.

"You good now right?" Petrie asked his uncle looking the large flyer right in the eye.

Missing some commas there. The message gets a bit harder to follow without proper pauses.

"You good now, right?" Petrie asked his uncle, looking the large flyer right in the eye.

"Is Pterano good? That's a hard question" a familiar deep voice said as a dark brown flyer landed on the same branch as Pterano.

Another lack of punctuation at the end of a quote. New issue as well. When two words work together to make a single description (known as a compound modifier) you combine them with a hyphen (-). Your usage of “dark” is describing the extent of the “brown.” so they are working as a team to make one depiction. You aren’t saying he is dark and he is brown as two things. You are saying that the brown description is being made even more descriptive with the word dark.

Examples: The steady-moving horse made his way up the hill.

He stepped past the angry-looking man nervously.

The boy suck his cream-covered sucker with delight.

Oh, and don’t forget to separate lists of adjectives with a comma, such as with “familiar deep.”

"Is Pterano good? That's a hard question," a familiar, deep voice said as a dark-brown flyer landed on the same branch as Pterano.

"Yeh I just can't seem to determine the answer" another familiar voice said as a darkish pink flyer landed next to the brown one.

Don’t forget that interjections, even slang ones like “Yeh” must be followed by an exclamation point or by a comma if the feeling isn’t as strong. In this case, it seems a comma would do nicely. Once again, no punctuation at the end of the quote. Once again, you need a hyphen in the center of the compound modifier.

"Yeh, I just can't seem to determine the answer," another familiar voice said as a darkish- pink flyer landed next to the brown one.

"Rinkus and Sierra! What they doing here" Petrie said as he let go of his uncle.

Another quote with no punctuation, and Petrie didn’t say anything. He asked a question. Asking and saying are two completely different things.

"Rinkus and Sierra! What they doing here?" Petrie asked as he let go of his uncle.

"I'm sorry Petrie but I must exact my revenge on the one who foiled my plan" Pterano said and as if on cue Sierra dove down and grabbed Ducky with his talons and flew back up, Pterano and Rinkus followed suit.

Ah! A perfectly good example of yours when a name needs two commas. Another lack of quotation punctuation, missing some commas, and it’s a run-on sentence. The run-on can be fixed in a few ways.

"I'm sorry, Petrie, but I must exact my revenge on the one who foiled my plan," Pterano said, and as if on cue, Sierra dove down and grabbed Ducky with his talons and flew back up. Pterano and Rinkus followed suit.

"I'm sorry, Petrie, but I must exact my revenge on the one who foiled my plan," Pterano said, and as if on cue, Sierra dove down and grabbed Ducky with his talons and flew back up, and Pterano and Rinkus followed suit.

"I'm sorry, Petrie, but I must exact my revenge on the one who foiled my plan," Pterano said, and as if on cue, Sierra dove down and grabbed Ducky with his talons and flew back up; Pterano and Rinkus followed suit.

All three of those are the same except for how I fixed the run-on sentence.

"Well I guess that's a no" Rinkus said as he and the two other flyers disappeared into the clouds.

Need a comma after the interjection and punctuation at the end of the quote.

"Well, I guess that's a no," Rinkus said as he and the two other flyers disappeared into the clouds.

"What we do! What we do!" Petrie panicked while holding his head in his hands.

“What we do!” is a question, and as such, deserves a question mark. With the strong emotion, you can get away with keeping the exclamation points as well.

"What we do!? What we do!?" Petrie panicked while holding his head in his hands.

While it isn’t exactly proper to use two forms of punctuation, many stories, even novels do it, so it’s not a big deal.

"We have to tell the grownups and quick" Littlefoot said but as the turned to leave someone landed in front of them.

“Grownups” should be “grown-ups.” You again missed the punctuation at the end of the quote. Also missing some commas.

"We have to tell the grown-ups and quick" Littlefoot said, but as the turned to leave, someone landed in front of them.

"Now why would you want to do that" Rinkus said with a smirk on his face.

Another lack of quotation punctuation, and again, there is nothing being said. He is asking.

"Now why would you want to do that?" Rinkus asked with a smirk on his face.

"Yes, you wouldn't want to get poor innocent Pterano in trouble now would you" Pterano said as he and Sierra were perched on the same tree they were one, Sierra was standing on one foot with Ducky in the other.

The wording there is somewhat hard to follow, and don’t you mean, “… poor, innocent Ducky?” Another list of adjectives to separate and missing a comma as well. Oh, and another lack of punctuation at the end of the quote. Ah, and again, something is being asked, not said.  Let’s sort this out.

"Yes, you wouldn't want to get poor, innocent Ducky in trouble, now would you?" Pterano asked from the tree he and Sierra were perched on. Sierra was standing on one foot with Ducky in the other.

"Let Ducky go or I'll…" Cera shouted before she was cut off.

When someone is suddenly cut off mid-sentence, it is symbolized by an em dashó. An ellipsis (which is what you used) is commonly used when someone trails off voluntarily. If I’m talking then forget where I’m going with the conversation, I trail off. If I find that I shouldn’t say anymore mid-sentence, I’ll trail off. If I suddenly decide differently, I trail off.

Examples, respectively: I have a very important point in this conversation. I think it’s best that we…

Sorry about your dad dying. Oh, by the way, my dad and I are going…

I like that color! Get it for me and, ooh…

When someone is cut off from an interruption however, like with Cera, you use an em dash, typically referred to as just a dash, to end the sentence.

"Let Ducky go or I'll-" Cera shouted before she was cut off.

"Oh come on can't you kids take a joke" Sierra said gliding down towards them gently putting Ducky on the ground, shortly after Pterano landed beside him.

No punctuation at the end of the quote, missing a comma, Sierra didn’t say anything, and I find the sentence to be a little wordy.

"Oh come on, can't you kids take a joke?" Sierra asked, gliding down towards them. He gently put Ducky on the ground, shortly after Pterano landed beside him.

"You didn't really think I would be up to my old tricks after what happened last time do you" Pterano said with a smirk. Then surprisingly Ducky giggled.

Missing the question mark, Pterano didn’t ask anything, and a comma feels right for both sentences.

"You didn't really think I would be up to my old tricks after what happened last time, do you?" Pterano asked with a smirk. Then surprisingly, Ducky giggled.

"I really thought you were still bad Petrie's uncle, I did, I did" she said with a smile.

Need a comma before the name. Although “Petrie’s uncle” isn’t his name, Ducky is using that phrase in place of his name, so the rule still applies.

"I really thought you were still bad, Petrie's uncle, I did, I did" she said with a smile.

"Oh no I'm a changed flyer, and just call me Pterano" Pterano said picking up Ducky in his hands. "You children haven't grown much" he said which made them all look down in shame except Cera he 'hpmhed' at this statement.

Need a comma after “Oh no,” and you used a noun twice unnecessarily. Because he said, “… just call me Pterano,” it is clear to the reader that Pterano is the one speaking, so you should use a pronoun for the reference following. A comma after both “said”s would be good too. Missing the punctuation after the quote as well. “he” should be “who” and you only put single quotation marks when you have quotes in quotes. Your interjection is also misspelled. It’s “Hmphed” not “Hpmhed.” Also missed the punctuation after both quotes.

"Oh no, I'm a changed flyer, and just call me Pterano," he said, picking up Ducky in his hands. "You children haven't grown much," he said, which made them all look down in shame except Cera who “Hmphed” at this statement.

"So uncle, why you with them?" Petrie asked pointing at the two other flyers. "Me thought they were bad"

Uncle is used as a direct name so there should be a comma before and after it. There should be a comma after the “asked” as well. Also missing the period at the end of the quote.

"So, uncle, why you with them?" Petrie asked, pointing at the two other flyers. "Me thought they were bad."

"Forgive and forget Petrie, you see when I was banished from the great valley I stopped by to see if I could patch things up with these two and I was successful" Pterano said.

Need a comma before Petrie, and that seems to be a run-on sentence. Also, missing the punctuation in the quote and some commas, and the location needs to be capitalized.

"Forgive and forget, Petrie. You see, when I was banished from the Great Valley, I stopped by to see if I could patch things up with these two, and I was successful," Pterano said.

"Yeh, we couldn't stay mad at our old friend" Sierra said nudging Pterano's shoulder.
Suddenly Pterano chuckled to himself noticing the dark purple sharptooth and the pink fastrunner.

Needs punctuation in the quote, some commas as well. Also, the transition between “himself” and “noticing” feels a bit rough, and I believe a dash should be placed between “dark” and “purple.” Let’s reword that a bit.

"Yeh, we couldn't stay mad at our old friend," Sierra said, nudging Pterano's shoulder.
Suddenly, Pterano chuckled to himself, having noticed the dark-purple sharptooth and the pink fastrunner.

"I do say we forgot to introduce ourselves to the new members of this convoy" all the children looked slightly confused but they understood most of what Pterano said.
"I'm Pterano and these are my associates Rinkus and Sierra" Pterano said pointing to the two other flyers.

Need punctuation at the end of the quote, a “that” would make it sound smoother, and a comma is needed before “but” because both sides have an independent clause, same for the “and” following. A comma after “said” would sound smoother too.

"I do say that we forgot to introduce ourselves to the new members of this convoy," all the children looked slightly confused, but they understood most of what Pterano said.
"I'm Pterano, and these are my associates Rinkus and Sierra" Pterano said, pointing to the two other flyers.

"I'm Chomper and this is Ruby" Chomper said.

Don’t forget, a comma is always used when a conjunction separates two complete sentences.

"I'm Chomper, and this is Ruby" Chomper said.

"You're not afraid of Chomper?" Littlefoot asked with and astonished expression.

You meant to say, but did not, “an astonished expression,” not “and astonished expression.”

"Well if he was a threat you wouldn't be playing with him now would you" Pterano said in a mater-of-fact kind of way. Littlefoot just shrugged his shoulders in an I don't know kind of way.

Need a comma after the conjunction “well,” need punctuation after at the end of a quote, a “then” would make it sounder smoother, Pterano asked, not said, “mater-of-fact” should have three t’s (matter-of-fact) and youp are being consistent. Why put dashes in “matter-of-fact kind of way” but not in “I don’t know kind of way”?

"Well, if he was a threat then you wouldn't be playing with him now would you?" Pterano asked in a matter-of-fact kind of way. Littlefoot just shrugged his shoulders in an I-don't-know kind of way.

"Hello Petrie's uncle, Petrie's uncle hello" Ruby said waving to Pterano who bore a facial expression of slight confusion.

Need a comma before the direct address and one would do well after “said.” Also, do not forget the punctuation at the end of the quote.

"Hello, Petrie's uncle, Petrie's uncle hello," Ruby said, waving to Pterano who bore a facial expression of slight confusion.

"She always talks like that, you'll get used to it" Chomper said noticing Pterano's expression.

You never separate two complete sentences with a comma. A comma after “said” would also sound smoother, and you need punctuation at the end of a quote.

"She always talks like that. You'll get used to it," Chomper said, noticing Pterano's expression.

Or

"She always talks like that; you'll get used to it," Chomper said, noticing Pterano's expression.

Or

"She always talks like that, so you'll get used to it," Chomper said, noticing Pterano's expression.

"Aren't you just the cutest thing" Rinkus said walking over to Chomper and holding Chomper's head in his hands.

Need punctuation at the end of the quote, need a comma after “said” and Rinkus didn’t say anything; that was a question.

"Aren't you just the cutest thing?" Rinkus asked, walking over to Chomper and holding Chomper's head in his hands. (So technically, I should have said, “I comma after ëasked.’)

"Oh come on Rinkus, the baby spiketail on the way here was cute, the baby sharptooth is cute… what else is cute" Sierras said glaring at Rinkus.

Need a comma after the interjection “oh,” and you are separated a lot of complete sentences with commas. Also, Sierra didn’t say anything. He asked. Speaking of Sierra, I am pretty sure he is spelled “Sierra,” not “Sierras.” And don’t forget the punctuation at the end of the quote and a comma after “said.” (Though it should be “asked.”)

"Oh, come on Rinkus. The baby spiketail on the way here was cute. The baby sharptooth is cute… What else is cute?" Sierras asked, glaring at Rinkus.

"So uncle you want to go meet elders now so everyone know you back?" Petrie asked excitedly but before Pterano could Answer Sierra's stomach growled.

Need to separate a direct address with commas, “Answer” is never capitalized unless it starts a sentence, or for some odd reason is the name of a person or place, a comma should go after “excitedly,” and a comma separates a partial sentence from a complete one.

"So, uncle, you want to go meet elders now so everyone know you back?" Petrie asked excitedly, but before Pterano could Answer, Sierra's stomach growled.

"I think it's about lunch time now" Pterano said also rubbing his belly.

Need punctuation at the end of the quote as well as a comma after “said.”

"I think it's about lunch time now," Pterano said, also rubbing his belly.

"You could come eat with us" Petrie said with a big smile.

Need punctuation at the end of the quote, and you’ve used “said” quite a bit already. Try some more detailed words, like “offered.”

"You could come eat with us," Petrie offered with a big smile.

"Uh, thank you Petrie but we have our, um, preferences" Pterano said a bit nervously. "I'll see you later, farewell" and with that Pterano took off.

Commas must separate a direct address, need quotation punctuation, and a comma would make the sentence smoother after “that.”

"Uh, thank you, Petrie, but we have our, um, preferences," Pterano said a bit nervously. "I'll see you later, farewell," and with that, Pterano took off.

"See ya," Sierra said about to take off but he seemed to be waiting for Rinkus.

That doesn’t flow very well, and a comma must separate a full sentence from a partial one. Try:

"See ya," Sierra said as he was about to take off, but he seemed to be waiting for Rinkus.

"Toddles" Rinkus said waving with his fingers rather than his hand. He and Sierra then took off.

Need punctuation at the end of the quote and comma after said.

"Toddles," Rinkus said, waving with his fingers rather than his hand. He and Sierra then took off.

"I swear Rinkus you getting gayer by the minute" Sierra said as the two flew away in the same direction as Pterano.

Need commas to separate a direct address, and I don’t recall Sierra having a grammar issue, so “you” should be “You’re.” Also needs punctuation at the end of the quote.

"I swear, Rinkus, you’re getting gayer by the minute," Sierra said as the two flew away in the same direction as Pterano.

"Well I guess we should go and eat" Cera said walking away, the other followed suit.
In the mysterious beyond not to for from the great valley Pterano, Rinkus and Sierra flew with their eyes to the ground.

Need a comma after the interjection “well,” punctuation at the end of the quote, and you separated two complete sentences with a comma alone. You also need to capitalize places and set apart parenthetical elements with commas. By the way, a list has a comma after each item except the last one, so there should have been one after “Rinkus” as well.

"Well, I guess we should go and eat," Cera said walking away. The (or “away; the” or away, and the”) other followed suit.
In the Mysterious Beyond, not to for from the Great Valley, Pterano, Rinkus, and Sierra flew with their eyes to the ground.

"Ok you know the plan, we need to make this as quick and clean as possible" Pterano said then he nodded to Rinkus and then the pink flyer broke away from the two others.

Need a comma after “OK” (both letters should be capitalized, not just the “k”), you put a comma between two complete sentences, punctuation is needed after the quote, and it sounds a bit choppy.

"OK, you know the plan. We (or “plan, and we” or “plan; we”) need to make this as quick and clean as possible," Pterano said as he nodded to Rinkus who in turn broke away from the two others.

The hollow-horn was grazing on what little green food there was and then something caught his attention. He looked up at the sound of screeching and saw a pink flyer coming straight at him with talons poised for attack. Instinctively the hollow-horn fled but was so preoccupied with looking back at the pink flyer he didn't notice a dark brown and light brown flyer head straight for him. By the time he turned around it was too late as the two large flyers struck him, one in the head and one in the chest. The hollow-horn tried to struggle but the light brown flyer quickly ended it by driving his hand claws into the hollow-horn's neck, cutting off its oxygen and causing it to bleed profusely. Satisfied that the hollow-horn was dead the three flyers began to gorge themselves.

Need a comma after “Instinctively,” could use a “that,” “dark brown and light brown” should be “dark-brown and light-brown,” need a comma to separate a full sentence from a partial one, need a comma when two complete sentences are separated by a conjunction, “it” does not describe an animal, as they have genders, and another case of separating a partial sentence from a full one.

The hollow-horn was grazing on what little green food there was and then something caught his attention. He looked up at the sound of screeching and saw a pink flyer coming straight at him with talons poised for attack. Instinctively, the hollow-horn fled but was so preoccupied with looking back at the pink flyer that he didn't notice a dark-brown and light-brown flyer head straight for him. By the time he turned around, it was too late as the two large flyers struck him, one in the head and one in the chest. The hollow-horn tried to struggle, but the light brown flyer quickly ended it by driving his hand claws into the hollow-horn's neck, cutting off his (or her) oxygen and causing his (or her) to bleed profusely. Satisfied that the hollow-horn was dead, the three flyers began to gorge themselves.

"Oh I can't imagine what would happen if Petrie found out at such a tender age" Pterano said after swallowing a chunk of meat.

Need a comma after the conjunction and need punctuation at the end of the quote.

"Oh, I can't imagine what would happen if Petrie found out at such a tender age," Pterano said after swallowing a chunk of meat.

"Look, all flyers are omnivores and male flyers need to eat meat when they come of a certain age, he'll find out some day so why not now" Sierra said with a piece of meat in his beak.

Need a comma to separate two independent clauses separated by a conjunction, you separated two complete sentences with a comma, quotes need punctuation, and Sierra asked, not said.

"Look, all flyers are omnivores, and male flyers need to eat meat when they come of a certain age. He'll (or “age, and he’ll” or “age; he’ll) find out some day so why not now?" Sierra asked with a piece of meat in his beak.

"And I would think he'd catch on by now I mean why would a leaf eater need claws like these" Rinkus said observing his sharp claws.

Run-on sentence there. Also, needs quote punctuation, “leaf eater” should be “leaf-eater,” Rinkus asked, not said, and a comma belongs after “said” or with my editing, the “asked.”

"And I would think he'd catch on by now. I mean, why would a leaf-eater need claws like these?" Rinkus asked, observing his sharp claws.

"And teeth like these" Sierra added pointing out his pointed teeth.

Needs quotation punctuation and a comma and “out” should be “at.”

"And teeth like these," Sierra added, pointing at his pointed teeth.

"Yes well I may have lethal claws but at least my teeth aren't out there for everyone to see" Pterano said.

Needs commas after the interjections, punctuation after the quote, and a comma separates a sentence with two independent clauses centered around a conjunction.

"Yes, well, I may have lethal claws, but at least my teeth aren't out there for everyone to see," Pterano said.

"I would think he'd have seen yours while you talk, you got some real sharp teeth Pterano" Rinkus said before digging back into the carcass.

Two complete sentences are never separated by a comma. Also needs quote punctuation, “have” would sound better than “got,” and a comma needs to separate a direct address.

"I would think he'd have seen yours while you talk. You have some real sharp teeth, Pterano," Rinkus said before digging back into the carcass.

"Just wait, when his talons and teeth grow in he'll be hunting down crawlers in no time" Sierra said before doing as Rinkus did.

You have two complete sentences separated by a comma and you have a partial and full sentence not separated by a comma. “Just wait” may not seem like a complete sentence, but the subject is invisible, being none other then the one or numerous characters being addressed. Also, needs quote punctuation.

"Just wait. When his talons and teeth grow in, he'll be hunting down crawlers in no time," Sierra said before doing as Rinkus did.

Pterano let out a sigh "It's just life I guess, I hope his friends will understand, most of mine didn't" He finished before also digging in.

Needs a period at the end of the first sentence, needs a comma to set apart the parenthetical element “I guess,” and you have three complete sentences set apart by commas. “He” should not be capitalized, falling into the same sentence as the quote, and the quote needs punctuation.

Pterano let out a sigh. "It's just life, I guess. I hope his friends will understand. Most of mine didn't," he finished before also digging in.

That’s all I have to say for this chapter. I can’t write reviews as thorough as Pangaea, and I apologize about that, but I promise that I did my best. I’m far from perfect with grammar, so I likely have some mistakes with my suggestions, but they should serve as fairly decent guidelines. Best wishes on your story.

Redtooth101

• Spike
    • View Profile
Wow, thanks a-lot The Friendly Sharptooth. That review really helps out, especially the parts about run-on sentences and putting commas before and after names. I'll be sure to use your advice and improve on my skills.
Once again than you for the very helpful review.

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
You're very welcome. I love being able to help out where I can. Your story is a really nice piece of work, and I look forward to how it plays out.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I haven't had a lot of time to read this, but from the first chapter I can come across a few points where you can improve.  Friendly Sharptooth was very thorough, but once I get a bit farther into the story I'll comment on it.

Redtooth101

• Spike
    • View Profile
Chapter 6. I haven't forgotten this story.

It was noon the next day and Mr. Threehorn and Cera stood next to the valley wall looking from left to right. Next to the wall where three rocks, the first as large as Cera, the second at least twice as large and the third slightly larger than Topsy.

"That flyer said to go here for the test so where is everyone" Mr. Threehorn said angrily.

"Others are not permitted in the area during the tests" and almost demonic voice said from above. The two threehorns looked up and saw the outline of what seemed to be another threehorn standing on a ledge above them.

"Who are you" Topsy growled. The figure slowly turned its head down, its eyes seemed to glow red.

"Your worst sleep story" it hissed, just then a rock seemed to fly out of nowhere and hit it in the head. "Ow, what was that for" the figure wined, its voice now a bit more high pitch that Topsy's.

"Cheirus said to take things seriously" Hydro scolded as he came into view with another rock in his hand.

"Fine" the threehorn said as he disappeared behind the ledge only to walk out from behind the largest of the rocks on the ground one second later. "Hi, I'm Tric the threehorn judge" Tric said. Topsy and Cera both gave him an angry glare. Trick looked at the two of them nervously. "Um, why don't you introduce yourselves? I know you're the leader and the heir so just names"

"I'm Topsy and this is my daughter Cera" Mr. Threehorn said.

"Well I was expecting a better name than that for the leader of the threehorns" Tric said which earned him an angry growl from Topsy. "Hey cool down. No need to blow your top-sy" Tric said giving one of his signature jokes. "Get it, top, Topsy"

"Tric just get on with it" Hydro said.

"Fine. Cera threehorns never run from an enemy, we face them head on. But a leader needs more than just brute strength; you must use your smarts as well and look for the opponent's weakness while hiding yours." Tric said.

"Okay, so what am I supposed to do?" Cera asked rather impatiently.

"Break this rock" Tric said gesturing to the rock that was Cera's size. Cera just smirked as she prepared o charge, she charged at the rock breaking it into pieces on impact.

"Well that was easy" Cera said triumphantly.

"Who said you were done, now you have to break this one" Tric said gesturing towards the rock that was about twice Cera's size. Just as before Cera prepared to charge and then charged at it but this time she fell back and the rock stayed unbroken. Cera grunted and repeated her actions but it yielded the same results.

"Last try" Tric said.

"What do you mean last try" Topsy said to him in a harsh manner.

"Oh I'm sorry didn't I tell you" Tric said full of sarcasm. "She's only got three tries to break each rock, and she just tried twice there"

Cera glared at the rock then she remembered something. "Weakness" she said to herself and then began to walk around the rock scanning it surface and just as she thought on one side there was a crack. She backed up and then charged straight for the crack, when she hit it the rock split in half. "Yes!" she shouted in triumph when she saw it.

"Very good, you're learning. Now for the last one" Tric said gesturing towards the last and largest of the rocks.

Cera looked the rock over but saw now cracks. "How am I going to do this one" she muttered.

"I can give two suggestions, but those will cost you a chance each leaving you with just one shot" Tric said.

Cera thought about it for a few seconds before coming to a conclusion. "Well if I just hit it three times it won't make a difference to I'll take 'em" she said.

"Alright first of all use your surroundings, for example you can use some loose stones to beat a sharptooth instead of hitting it head on, and secondly" Tric stopped and gestured up to a ledge above the rock. Cera looked up and saw a small pile of medium sized stones on the ledge.

"When did that get there?" Topsy asked no one.

"Doesn't matter how or when it got there. The important thing is it's there and it's part of the surroundings" Tric said. Cera got the hint and climbed up a path on the wall to get to the cliff. When she looked down at the large rock she could see a large crack on the top of it.

"Find its weakness and use my surroundings" she said to herself. She took some time to get an idea of where to aim and then back up to get ready. She lined herself up with the pile of stones and then charged at them knocking them off the ledge and towards the rock. Several of them hit the crack and after a few more hit driving the ones that were already there deeper into the rock it finally gave way and split it two.

"That's my girl, beating any challenge just like a threehorn should" Topsy said as Cera ran down and nuzzled his leg.

"Congratulations, Cera daughter of Topsy and heiress of the title leader of the threehorn heard you have passed the leadership test" Tric said with a big smile.

"I'm gonna tell the other, bye dad" Cera said and with that she ran off to the tall trees.

On top of the Valley walls Cheirus had seen the whole thing. He snapped his claws together and a stone tablet seemed to materialize in his hand. The tablet had the names of Littlefoot, Cera, Ducky and Petrie on it, Littlefoot's name has a mark next to it. Cheirus used his claw to put a mark next to Cera's name and then threw the tablet in the air; it turned to dust and blew away. Just then a dark blue fastbitter came up behind him.

"Cheirus sir, I was just wondering about the stegosaurus, oviraptor, and tyrannosaurus. If they don't have a test how will you know their ready" it said in a feminine voice.

"Don't worry Angel, these children have proven themselves time and time again. We already know their ready these tests are simply to so that we may see their abilities up close to an extent"

"Oh now I see" Angel said.

"Besides, have you not realized that these are much easier than the tests I have set before" Cheirus said with a smile.

"Don't remind me" Angel replied through gritted teeth while looking away. "Anyway I just came with that question in mind, good bye sir" and with that Angel went back down the valley wall and off into the mysterious beyond.

Cera got to the tall trees and saw all her friends plus Mr. Longneck and Pterano.

"Hey guys, I passed but that again threehorns can't fail" Cera said as she strutted up to them.

"Guess that makes two of us" Littlefoot said.

"And I am next I am, I am" Ducky said.

"So what where you guys doing" Cera asked as she sat down.

"Grandpa was just telling us about how valleys like this one are made" Littlefoot answered.

"Yes well as I was saying. Some say places like the great valley where created many cold times ago, so far back that not even my own grandpa was born yet. They say that the reason for the everlasting green food and is because of a special energy. They say this energy is stored in a stone that is in the northern wall of these special valleys. But that just a legend, or is it" Rock said. All the children where wide eyed.

"Is it true grandpa" Littlefoot asked.

"That's the thing Littlefoot, no one knows" Rock replied. "I think it might be getting a little too late for you young ones to be so far from your nests"

"Do we have to go" Petrie wined.

"Now Petrie your mother wouldn't want you to be out too late, maybe when you're older" Pterano said. With that all of them said their goodbyes and went to their nests.

Chomper and Ruby were headed towards their cave when Chomper's stomach growled. "I think I need a snack before I can sleep" Chomper said.

"It's ok Chomper. But I still have to come with you, I can't watch you if I can't see you after all" Ruby said. Chomper sniffed the air and caught the scent of a nest of stinging buzzers. He followed the smell and came to a crack in the valley wall only big enough for nothing larger than Ruby to fit through.

"Maybe we should tell a grownup about this" Ruby said looking into it.

"We can tell right after I get my snack" Chomper said as he walked into the crack which led him to the mysterious beyond. He stopped suddenly as the small of blood came to his nose. He looked to his left and saw the carcass of a dinosaur but couldn't tell what it was.

"Chomper why'd you stop" Ruby said but then she too froze when she saw the carcass. Before either of them could do anything a large pink figure landed on the ground. They could tell it was a flyer and by scent Chomper could tell it was Rinkus. Chomper was about to go to him but then he stopped when Rinkus turned around and revealed that he had two fish in his beak, his claws and beak where red with blood. Just then Sierra laded next to Rinkus.

"Come on Rinkus just give one of 'em" Sierra said to Rinkus, his claws and beak equally red.

Rinkus put the fish on the ground. "For the last time I caught them, go get your own" Rinkus said to him.

"Don't be so greedy, you and Pterano ate most of that domehead" Sierra said pointing at the carcass.

"So, I still had to work for these" Rinkus retorted. Pterano then landed next to the two flyers with a beak and claws just as bloody.

"Would you two pipe down, you'll gain unwanted attention. Now Sierra even though Rinkus is being a glutton it was his catch and he is free to keep them to himself if he wants" Pterano said. Rinkus smiled triumphantly and gulps down both fish whole.

"I hope you choke the next time" Sierra spat. Rinkus was about to retaliate but Pterano held his beak shut.

"We have no time for your childish bickering. Let's wash up before someone sees us" Pterano said. They were about to go when Sierra stopped and stared at the crack that Chomper and Ruby where in. He flew over to it and looked in, all he saw was Chomper and Ruby already running away.

"Damn, the sharptooth and the fast-runner might have caught us" Sierra growled.

"Well, I guess there must be a slight change in our knight plans" Pterano said. Rinkus and Sierra nodded before all three took off to go and clean themselves.

In their cave Chomper and Ruby paced up and down, Chomper had forgotten all about his hunger by now.

"What are we gonna do" Chomper said as he sat down.

"Maybe we should just get some sleep first, and tell the others tomorrow" Ruby suggested as she lay down and got ready for sleep. "Goodnight Chomper" she as she fell asleep.

"Goodnight Ruby" Chomper said in a nervous tone as he lay down and only fell asleep after a few minutes of staring at the wall.