The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Land before time sculpturing

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Dang, those are good. I think sculpting is probably the most time-consuming form of fan art, and the fact that you're willing to go through all the time to make so many shows you're one of the most dedicated LBT fans. Great work!

Littlefoot3897

• Spike
    • View Profile
I have a littlefoot figure that I really want to make sculptures out of it. but I  dont know how

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
It depends on what type of figure it is. three dimensional figures are always more complex than figures that are flat on one side. There are some figures of which no molds could be made without destroying the original figure. If you post a figure of the Littlefoot figure here I might be able to say something on how suited it may be to be the positive for a tin mold.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'll never get over how awesome your work is, Malte.  Your dedication is most impressive!  :o  :D

Just one more thing:
Thanks mate, the Petrie is adorable :p :D

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thank you and you're welcome Tim ;)

Since I started casting and painting land before time figures the coloring has changed quite a bit and I thought it funny to post a little "evolutionary chain" of my two oldest tinfigures.
First we have Ducky (the very first successful cast with that mold is still in my profile):

On the top left is the brooch on which the mould was based (that one is of course not colored by me). Next there is a pure unpainted tinfigure. Next comes one of my earliest paintings which seems to have been influenced more by the colors of the brooch than Ducky's colors in the movie (she appears to be much darker). The other Ducky's (from left to right top to bottom in the order in which they have been painted) are all much lighter than this first one. Her green was changed from a deep green to one with a slightly paler more yellowish tone. Her "yellow belly parts" were also changed from a sandy color to a paler tone. In general it is remarkable how much white one needs to add to the original colors (I am using mostly Revell and Humbrol model painting colors by the way) to "pale them out" enough to resemble the colors in the movies. One of the main differences between the last two figures is that while the last but one is colored in semi-gloss colors while the last one is mostly mat (excepting moist parts like the eyes and the open mouth). Here is a second picture of the Ducky's taken from an angle that allows for a better view on the color changes that took place on Ducky's darker back:

The next evolutionary chain is Littlefoot's:

Again the upper left is the original brooch followed by an uncolored tin sample, and the first figure which seems to have been influenced by the brooch rather than the movies with that strong brown color. The left figure lower row already comes closer to Littlefoot but the color is still relatively strong I think I used quite a few different colors to get that mix together. The next one was relatively simple. I figured out that a mixture of roughly 50% white and rust color will create a color fairly close to Littlefoot's main skin color. The mixture for Littlefoot's lower parts used to be another mixture that was given up for plain human skin color (sometimes I am surprised myself). Again the last but one and the last figure differ mainly in being semi-gloss respectively mat.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
That's really so awesome, haha. :)

Who did the very first Ducky, if I may ask?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Looks like well made figures and a good job of painting that you did.    I like the evolution you show, including an unpainted one and the original figure you go the mold from.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Who did the very first Ducky, if I may ask?
I don't know who made or painted the brooches which served as a positive for the molds. All that an inscription on a little tape on the back of the brooches says is "1988 UCS & Amblin". I suppose that it was prodiced in China, but this is only a guess as there is no "made in..." inscription.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, well that's alright. They did a great job for a model :)

Chomper4

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Maybe one of Chomper would be nice, and Guido too.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thing is that I would like to make one of Chomper and of Ruby based on the shoe charms of which I made the last four figures. But while Chomper is usually available on ebay Ruby is not and I do not want to order them separately paying double shipping (provided that Ruby ever does get available on ebay). I checked out the manufacturer's page where I could order the shoe charms (I would get two each of Chomper and Ruby) but when I checked it out I found that these nutcases would ask for almost $50 shipping costs to Germany! :blink:
Those four figures weigh only a few grams and they are smaller than an inch. The shipping costs of ten other figures I had ordered via ebay were mere six dollars. I don't know why their shipping is so ridiculously high to Germany, but I am not going to pay that much for the figures while on the other hand I am not going to get the Chomper figure only either.
As for Guido, I don't have any plans to make a figure of him.