The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Land before time sculpturing

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 That is a most impressice work Malte, outstanding really! :wow . It is awesome how you can make yourself the time to do those beauties. Keep it up!

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Aww hehe malte, now I see why you asked me long ago if I did anything else than drawing. This is wonderful! :D Good job on petrie! :)

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
These are very well made, you must've spent a lot of time on these!  Great job!

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Thank you everybody for your responses :)
I see why you asked me long ago if I did anything else than drawing.
Did I totally fail to mention the sculpturing back then? It was last spring or summer, wasn't it?
You do have a good memory Iris :)
Think you can do one of Chomper?
I can and (as I mentioned) I already have a positive for a Chomper figure. However, make no mistake, it will take some time before I can think of starting the next figure. No chance for anything in this field to be started before I finish my final work at the university so no chance whatsoever to start before summer if then I have the time (which depends on what tasks and chances I may or may not be offered after completing the studies).

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sounds like you are very busy and will continue to be for quite a while.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Wow, Malte, I never knew you sculpted! That's awesome. The craftsmanship of the figures you showed was amazing. Keep this skill up, Malte, cause this is some truely cool stuff!

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Feb 25 2009 on  08:22 PM
I see why you asked me long ago if I did anything else than drawing.
Did I totally fail to mention the sculpturing back then? It was last spring or summer, wasn't it?
You do have a good memory Iris :)

No I dont think you've mentioned it... Well maybe you did and I was just not paying attention, fairly possible :p

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yesterday I made another tin mold and today for the first time in a while I cast tin figures. Actually I melted almost a kilogram of pewter today turning all of it into figures of Littlefoot, Cera, Ducky, Petrie, and Spike making this my most productive tin casting section so far.
Anyway, here are the proceedings.
As I mentioned in another thread I recently got so called "shoe-charms" of the five land before time main characters. I don't know about their looks on shoes, but for the purpose of tin mold creating they are quite charming indeed. They are suited for making "flat figure molds". A flat figure in this context is a figure with only one detailed and elaborate side while the other side is plain and empty (like the first two figures I have ever made which are at the beginning of this thread). The making of such a mold is easier than that of any 3D figure (which consists of at least two mold parts while the flat mold is just a single part), but the casting of them can be quite tricky.
Here are the five shoe charms on a board which belongs to a disassembleable  wooden box speciffically for the purpose of making molds:

Looking at it from the side you will see that all of the shoe charms are put on light-blue modeling clay. There are two reasons for this. One is that there is kind of a "button" behind the figures to attach them to shoes. That one is not to be molded. The main reason however is that the mold must be deeper than the actual figures are. If the mold was as shallow as the figures themselves there would be a high likelihood of the tin "spilling over" thereby making the figure unusable (apart from a certain risk). Moreover In case of these flat molds you need to be able to pour a relatively large amount of tin into the mold. The weight of the liquid metal presses the metal further down in the mold into the tight spots (such as Petrie's wings or any tail) which might otherwise remain empty which also renders the figure useless. In case of 3d molds you have a large usually conic hole into which the liquid metal is poured to fill up the form and provide the pressure on the metal down below. Flat figures lack such a cone which makes casting with them somewhat tricky at times:

The next two pictures show the wooden "walls" of the molding box assembled and fixed around the figures. Note the tape along the walls which is meant to prevent any of the liquid caoutchouc (still need to look up the spelling of that word) from which the mold is made from pouring out at the side:

The modeling clay at the side is another measure to prevent the possibility of caoutchouc leaking out there:

The red stuff is responsible for most of the mess that inevitably results from this work. It is the liquid caoutchouc. Never wear anything you still want to wear while anyone is looking when you do this work. There is NO chance in the world to ever get a stain of caoutchouc from any clothes. The blue liquid is responsible for most of the toxic and smelly vapors (gee how I wished I had an actual large hobby room with a BIG window for ventilation). It is the volcanizer which, mixed under the caoutchouc causes the later to become hard. In addition to that a so called "entl¸fter" (dunno the English term) is mixed into the caoutchouc to limit the risk of it creating air-bubbles:

A further measure to limit the risk of air bubbles on the figures in the mold is to attach some of the caoutchouc right onto the figures with a brush...

...before pouring the rest of the caoutchouc onto it filling up the whole mold box:

Next you need to wait for a day for the caoutchouc to harden (and I will finish this message here and continue in another because I'm afraid I might otherwise reach the limit for images in one message).

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It looks pretty complicated and time consuming, but you do seem to enjoy it.  Good luck.  Hope it all works out for you & hope you continue to keep us updated.  Be careful.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I was distracted (by a most enjoyable chat) yesterday evening and did therefore not write and post the continuation of the above post. Right now I don't have the time to do that either (got to rush to catch a bus in a few minutes), but I'll post it as soon as I can.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
No need to hurry.  This way it means you can have an even longer post then you first intended since you can plan out the post mentally.   :yes

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Hi,
I apologize for the delay in updating this thread (as well as some others). I had feared that once my university papers were finished I would end up not knowing what to do with all my time (a state which I really dislike), but now I'm ending up with so many things to do that I can't manage everything as quickly as I mean to :)
Anyway here we go on with the next step after the mold making, namely the casting of the figures.
After I let the silicon caoutchouc harden over night I could remove the walls fot the box:

And turn around the mold in which the original figures (the shoe charms) were still stuck. You can also see that the mold left an "imprint" on the bottom board of the box. I guess I should have sealed that one of to protect it, but no real damage came from it:

Next the figures had to be removed from the mold, so at last the actual "mold-holes" become visible:

Same procedure as every time the mold is "powdered" with talcum (which allows for the liquid tin to flow better) and the tin is molten in the electric ladle. I guess some day I'll have to consider getting a better tin boiler than this ladle. A melting pot which allows for an more precise pouring out of the metal (there it is always a rather "exciting" hit or miss kind of business with that ladle), a more exact dosing of the metal (pouring out too little cause the mold not to be properly filled up while pouring out too much may cause the liquid tin to spill over which is not just dangerous but also ruins the figure), and which would allow for the metal to be brought to higher temperatures (so it would flow easier and fill up the mold with greater precision). The casts in the following picture were messed up. In case of the Littlefoot at the lower left the metal spilled over at the tail while the head is not properly filled up (this is something that may happen especially in early casts when the mold is not "warmed up" by hot metal already. In such a still cold mold the metal may harden quicker than you want it to, resulting in such casting failures). In case of the Ducky on the lower right the metal poured over at the head. The Ducky in the other mold at the top is a proper cast, but in a larger mold so she is easier to cast. The white stuff in the molds that are not filled with metal is the talcum powder:

In the next image Cera, Petrie, and Ducky have been cast properly. On the left you see the ladle with some tin still in it:

That day was my largest single tin casting "session" so far. I melt and cast almost a kilogram of high quality food save pure tin (not that the figures were edible, but you don't need to wash your fingers after touching them as is the case with figures which contain a higher percentage of lead). The result were these figures:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Here are some close shots of the individual figures.
Littlefoot:

Cera:

Ducky (she was definitely the most difficult of these figures to cast as filling up her arms without making the mold spill over was really difficult):

Petrie:

and Spike:

I'm not yet done painting all these figures (the most time consuming part of the whole business) but once I am I'll post pictures of it.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Looks very difficult to to and get it right.  Good luck with the future steps.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Coloring the figures is the most lengthy part of the whole figure business. First of all, the figures are all primed in white for to reasons. One is that it will make the other colors more even looking another is that it is a good idea to have the whole figure covered with at least one layer of color or laquer so there is no need to wash your fingers every time after you toush them in case of figures with a higher percentage of lead in them (in case of these particular cast it was so pure tin that one could have made tableware from it though). Then the different layers of color are applied. I usually work down my way from the largest to the smallest layer of color (the later often being the white spot within the pupils of a figure's eye).
Here is an overall view of the figures with the priming white and the first layer of color applied:

I took quite a few pictures of the different steps from color layer to color layer, but I'm afraid I would bore you to death if now I started posting pictures of every single figure at every single color layer, so here is just a selection.
Here is a large figure of Ducky with the first color layer applied. I include this one mainly to show you that the color used on her is rather shiny. While this has kind of its own charm I did dull the colors on the figures of this cast to make them matt later on, with the exception of parts like the eyes or opened mouths where light reflections are realistic.

Here come several figures with the second layer of color applied.
Cera:

Petrie:

Another Petrie, but unlike all of the other figures this one is a three dimensional figure:

And a small Littlefoot:

(Okay another post as I think I am reaching the picture limit).

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
This picture shows the figures where only some details need to be added:

One of these details however are the eyes, and they are crucial. Nothing can ruin the overall picture as much as a squinting Ducky ;)
Here are the completed figures with eyes and everything:

And here are some images of the individual completed figures.
Large Littlefoot:

Little Littlefoot (sorry, I noticed too late how blurry the picture was):

Cera (sorry, not quite the final version of her. The eyes in the final version have another white sparkle in the pupil):

Large Petrie:

Small Petrie:

Spike:

Large Ducky:

Little Ducky:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Those look neat.  What will you do with all of those? Add them to your collection of LBT stuff?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
One sample of each will definitely go into my collection. As for the others, they are going to be put to good purpose as well.