The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I haven't, though I did sing lead vocals on the song "Greased Lightning" in high-school choir

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Listen to the song Beauty High School Drop-Out. It's my favouite song from the soundtrack and movie.

Do you like Do-Wop?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 04:40:46 AM by Enchanted-Valley96 »

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
That is a good song! I’d actually never see the movie till last night. I see now why Travolta was a 70s-80s era heartthrob

I don’t think I’ve ever listened to do-wop except incidentally

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Ever heard of the song Breakfast in America by Supertramp?

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I have not heard of that song, sorry.

Update: Did just give it a listen, and I definitely recognize it, I just didn't know its name before. It's a good song, reminds me of Lindsey Buckingham

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
what is your favorite book series?
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Man, that's a tough call. There are some seriously good book series out there. As a kid, I loved Animorphs, but I tried rereading them as an adult and they didn't hold up nearly as well as I remembered. On the other hand, Artemis Fowl was a huge influence on me growing up and you can see the influences it had on my own writing. (Emilena from our RPs took at least a bit of inspiration from Holly Short).

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
If you were to write a letter to somebody, would you write it in Spanish?

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
No hablo español muy bien, yo solo tomado tres años en escuela. Si yo escribiera una carta, probablemente lo escribiria en ingles ;)

[I don't speak Spanish very well, I only took three years in high school. If I wrote a letter, I'd probably write it in English. I did write the above though!]

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Have you ever watched Tron from 1982?

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Nope, my only experience with the franchise was the game Armagetron, which was a low-poly racing game that came pre-installed on every computer in the rec room at a tech camp I attended in junior high. Me and the other students played the hell out of that game because it was on every computer, I wasn't terribly good at it myself but I did score a few wins here and there. For those who haven't seen Tron, the game's main mechanic was that the "race" took place on a grid and every car was constantly emitting an endless wall of solid light behind them, and anyone who collided with a wall exploded, making the gameplay essentially multiplayer Snake. Very addicting for such a simple premise

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
On any other board I'd say Land Before Time, but I figure you'd like a more interesting answer :P

The first candidate that comes to mind is Batman the Animated Series as it's one of my favorite iterations of the Batman character. Writing was great, many characters like Dr Freeze and Clayface had their identities crystallized from this show, and it gave birth to Harley Quinn who's now one of the most famous members of the entire rogue's gallery. However, I hesitate to declare it my favorite cartoon ever as it's just one part of the Batman franchise, which is what I'm truly a fan of. It's a commendable part of what makes me a Batman fan, but there are so many elements and reasons that extend beyond this one show.

So I think I'll have to give my vote to Scooby-Doo in all its runs. The core Scooby gang is iconic, with each bringing a different thing to the table, and for a saturday morning cartoon the mystery element was reallly refreshing. Shows back then tended to be light, fluffy, and wacky, so the spooky decrepit caves and run-down ghost towns was a really different vibe from what else we had to watch back then. The mystery element furthermore required an element of cleverness on the writer's part, using either misdirection, scientific explanation, or detective work for the protagonists to resolve the plot, and again this was a stepup from the usual cartoon writing that otherwise relied on laser guns, wacky hijinks, or the power of friendship to resolve problems. Mystery Incorporated is my particular favorite iteration, one of the best examples of a 'series reboot' I've ever seen, with fresh takes on the characters that heighten each of their narrative roles (it invented the now-commonplace interpretation of Fred being enthusiastically addicted with traps, a much-improved characterization over the 'generic everyman leader guy' personality he had before).

Edit: I suppose My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic deserves a mention too, as it had a huge impact on my life in multiple ways. Anyone online in the early 2010s remembers the insane wave of popularity that swept the internet when that show first released, and my boyfriend and I capitalized on it to get our first game-writing jobs for Legends of Equestria. It wasn't an accident that show was so popular; the core 6 characters were incredibly well-defined, with unique personalities that even the most casual fans could understand at a glance. The writing was above-average for 2010s cartoons, and without trying it bridged the gap between male and female-oriented cartoons. Even today, its impact is everywhere in the cartoons being released today, you can look at shows like Steven Universe, [Star Vs the Forces of Evil[/i] and the new She-Ra and see them capitalizing on the trail MLP:FiM blazed. Furthermore, it has probably my favorite cartoon character of all time, Starlight Glimmer, who I really related with due to her resourcefullness as a fighter, her mastery of emotional/behavioral manipulation as a villain, her checkered redemption arc that really put her through the ringer over the years, and her social awkwardness despite her extreme technical competence. These are four different character archetypes I'm a huge fan of, and MLP:FiM crammed them all into a single character.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 05:39:24 PM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Have you seen The Sound of Music from 1965?

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
My family played that movie CONSTANTLY growing up! I have the entire soundtrack practically memorized. It was part of a small set of movies we watched over and over, along with The Music Man (1962), Mary Poppins (1964), and Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang (1968). My parents were really into live-action musicals from their childhood, haha

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Have you heard any Phil Collins?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 07:15:38 PM by Enchanted-Valley96 »

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Of course! The Tarzan soundtrack is definitely the music I've heard from him the most, followed by that "On My Way" song from Brother Bear that played ad nauseum in that early 2000's Coca-Cola commercial. My favorite song by him has got to be "He Lives in You" from the bonus music CD for The Lion King

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
What do you think of 1980s Thrash Metal?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 05:58:35 PM by Enchanted-Valley96 »

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I don't listen to old-school metal as much as I should, it's a really incredible genre. I think "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath is probably my favorite song from the era, with "Run to the Hills" by Iron Maiden being a close runner-up as it was one of my dad's favorites. (Very lame answers I know, I need to go listen to lower-profile stuff and not just the turbo-classics that endure even today)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 01:51:24 PM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
What to you think of Disney remakes?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 08:18:03 PM by Enchanted-Valley96 »