The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Happy Birthday Malte!

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie,Oct 1 2010 on  06:50 PM
Nah, this is the real Happy Birthday song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-SMJtcTBqU ;)
Oooohhh! That made me :D

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Oct 1 2010 on  04:33 AM
Wow! I don't just like it Pangea, I absolutely love it! :D
I'm going to have the picture printed on photo-paper to set it up with my land before time collection.
Thank you so much for it Pangea! I greatly appreciate this :yes
You're very welcome, Malte. :^.^: I feel very honored that you're giving it a place in your collection. :DD

I don't suppose you'd mind if I posted it in my art thread later, just so more people can see it, and to talk about how and why I made it the way it is?

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I don't suppose you'd mind if I posted it in my art thread later, just so more people can see it, and to talk about how and why I made it the way it is?
Of course not. Go ahead :)
Thank you raga and LettuceBacon&Tomato for your congratulations :)
I'm having a "long" birthday so to speak. Today I'm going to see my dad for the first time since my birthday and we are going to have a little celebration too. The "advantage" when parents don't live together is that there is more of a birthday period than a birthday which offers a lot more suspense and joyful anticipation (the English language really lacks a good equivalent to the word "Vorfreude") :lol

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Oct 2 2010 on  04:03 AM
Of course not. Go ahead :)
Thank you. :)

I'm having a "long" birthday so to speak.
Oh good. That makes me feel better about being so late with the card. :p

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I am so late to this party. I didn't even know. I'm sorry.

Malte, happy birthday. I really enjoy talking to you.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thank you Dillon :)

Holly Irisness... err awesomeness! Today a letter from arrived here which had been slowed down by a wrong digit in the postal code but the contents of which made me go :D  :smile  :celebrate
It came down to four presents. First there was the letter itself of course which I will keep with my other letters from the hands of friends and fellow LBT fans.
Then there was this present which counts twice for being at the same time a very, very beautiful handmade figure and also a funny joke which made me laugh out loud (and laughter is a very beautiful gift):

Shorty Bonaparte has found a place of honor on the topmost board of my LBT collection in front of the snow-globe Iris. Here is another picture:

The joke which Iris has picked so properly (aware as she is of my interest in history) is that the name "Shorty" relates so well to the many stories about Napoleon Bonaparte being allegedly a small person who was named "little corporal" by his men.
By the way Iris, I'm wondering if perhaps when you were at my place you noticed the books about Napoleon on my boards and if this may have influenced your Shorty Bonaparte? In any case I found it proper to take some more pictures of him with a "special background" :p

And with the joke also comes the fourth of the gifts namely this most awesome chance for a short history lecture which anyone who knows me is sometimes involuntarily exposed to... sorry about that (for the involuntary part) :oops
The truth is that Napoleon Bonaparte was by no means particularly small. With 169 centimeters he was slightly above the average size of 167 in France around that time. There are some reasons for the rumors about Napoleon's shortness. One is of course the nickname "little corporal". However, the "little" in that name is more of an expression of affection rather than actual commenting on his size (by the way, "corporal" is also a rank Napoleon never held as after his military school education he was taken to the army as a lieutenant right away rather than being promoted from any non-commissioned officer rank). Another reason for Napoleon being taken for small is that on many pictures showing him with soldiers he looks distinctly smaller than most other people. However, these pictures usually depict him with his guard and in order to be admitted to that elite force a man had to reach a minimum size way above the average (I think 180cm). Beside all these over-sized men beside whom he is most frequently depicted Napoleon cut a small figure. Propaganda from other countries too may have strengthened the idea of him being undersized to ridicule him (there are many British cartoons of the time in which a giant John Bull faces a Napoleon the size of a mosquito or a little dog).
Thank you for all this Iris, you really made my day! :)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm glad it finally got to you! and that you got the joke, too :p

I was not influenced by your books, and I knew that napoleon wasn't actually short. The idea actually kind of came from Tim (having littlefoot making short jokes at ducky), which I combined with history :p I'm glad you like it! :smile

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm glad you like it!
To quote one of the farwalkers from LBT VII (and I'm quoting from memory after not having seen the movie in many years, so forgive me in case the wording might not be 100% accurate):
That's putting it mildly!
I absolutely love the figure! :yes  :yes  :yes

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hilarious figure, Iris! :lol: The hat is terrific!

And Malte, I had recently read that Napoleon's supposedly small stature was in fact a misconception, but I hadn't heard about how the myth originated. I for one found your little history lecture quite interesting and informative. :yes

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I did that photopaper print of the picture you made for me Pangea :)

In my collection your picture will be right beside another LBT picture which I printed five times back in December to have one for each of us who was at my place then and each of which had been signed by each of us (Tim, Iris, Jason, Gustav, and me).

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Hahaha, wow, what a gift!  And I like what you did with Pangaea's drawing Malte, gives me ideas for the one he gave to me.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Looks great, Malte! Thanks! :D

By the way, I don’t believe I’ve ever mentioned how great (and beautifully organized!) your LBT collection looks. :wow I’m proud that something I made is now a part of it. :DD

And go ahead, raga! Double the honor! :lol: Maybe you could print the card out, and then print the second picture I made on the other side. :idea

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Happy Birthday to our head admin! Since you were kind enough to start a Birthday thread for me, I'll be starting one for you (mostly because your older ones specifically state your age at the time :p). :yes

Hope you have a great day! :DD

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Happy birthday Malte! :birthday

Hope you get to do something fun today :DD
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
EDIT: Whoops, looks like a new star day thread was started while I was busy typing this post. I'll just re-post it in there…

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
A happy 27th birthday to Malte! :birthday :smile :celebrate :DD :cheers

It's a special birthday, too: the day of the month is the same as his age, so that makes this your golden birthday, Malte! I don't know whether golden birthdays are a regional thing (like how schnappszahl birthdays are more emphatically celebrated in Germany than in the U.S.), but in any case, congratulations! :D (Sorry I didn't have a card prepared for you this year. :oops)

Also, I found out that golden birthdays are sometimes known as star birthdays…so, in LBT terms, I guess this would be your star star day! :p

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 And happy birthday Malte!
 :birthday  :wow  :lol  :DD .

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Happy 27th birthday, Malte!  :birthday
Hope it's a fun one! :D