The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Mario(all)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Yeah. That stage does not exist in Super Mario World, at least not the one I have. I've played and beaten every level in Super Mario World.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hahaha, you're ALL right! 10+ to each of you! :^.^: It was pretty fun to watch, anyway.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I should so show my brother this. He'd probably like it.

KingdomKey23

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Speaking of classic Mario games, have you guys ever seen the video of some guy beating Super Mario Brothers 3 in 11 minutes? It's a pretty cool speed run, though I'm not sure if it was staged or not using an emulator.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I believe I saw that. Clint told me about it. He later said that the guy cheated. The guy recorded himself playing, and anytime he made a mistake, he would start back until he got it right, and then I believe he pasted the footage together to make it look like he achieved all that. I'd have to talk to him again about it, but yeah, according to Clint, the guy who made that speedrun cheated in some form. But perhaps I misheard him.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
ya that video was tool-assisted, but its still pretty sweet.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Anyone here ever pulled off the most famous tricks in the original Super Mario Bros.?

If anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about, I mean the minus stage, jump over the flag pole and endless 1-ups?  My big brother has been able to pull off all three without cheating.  I can only pull off the minus stage sadly, but it was so amazing seeing him do it all back then. :)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Sep 13 2007 on  01:30 AM
Anyone here ever pulled off the most famous tricks in the original Super Mario Bros.?

If anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about, I mean the minus stage, jump over the flag pole and endless 1-ups?  My big brother has been able to pull off all three without cheating.  I can only pull off the minus stage sadly, but it was so amazing seeing him do it all back then. :)
I never thought it was possible to jump over the flag pole. I've tried and it never worked. And I've tried to get to minus world. I watched a vid and tried to repeat it myself, but I just wasn't going through.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Sep 13 2007 on  12:43 AM
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Sep 13 2007 on  01:30 AM

If anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about, I mean the minus stage, jump over the flag pole and endless 1-ups?  My big brother has been able to pull off all three without cheating.  I can only pull off the minus stage sadly, but it was so amazing seeing him do it all back then. :)
I never thought it was possible to jump over the flag pole. I've tried and it never worked. And I've tried to get to minus world. I watched a vid and tried to repeat it myself, but I just wasn't going through.
Well, there are actually TWO ways to get into the minus world.  You either go through the wall like many others have, or you can do it a much simpler way.

With this trick, you simply go to the warp pipes the normal way.  However, you stop yourself near the end and cautiously walk forward until you fall through.  If done right, the numbers won't appear and you can go into the World 2 warp pipe to access the minus world.

It's alot easier to pull off than the other way and well worth it. :)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Sep 13 2007 on  01:55 AM
With this trick, you simply go to the warp pipes the normal way.  However, you stop yourself near the end and cautiously walk forward until you fall through.  If done right, the numbers won't appear and you can go into the World 2 warp pipe to access the minus world.

...I don't get it.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Sep 13 2007 on  01:14 AM
With this trick, you simply go to the warp pipes the normal way.  However, you stop yourself near the end and cautiously walk forward until you fall through.  If done right, the numbers won't appear and you can go into the World 2 warp pipe to access the minus world.

...I don't get it.
What is it that you don't get exactly?

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Jumping over the flag poles in the infamous "Lost Levels", aka, the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2, is not always a good idea. I've seen it happen where it stead of a warp pipe taking you forward, you get a warp pipe that takes you to World 1. Not good. Also, I have done the Minus World thing (the old-fashioned way), but how do you get infinate lives or jump over a flag? Also, what causes the flags to give you an extra life on occasion? I've had that happen every now and then, and it still baffles me.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Manny Cav,Sep 13 2007 on  08:26 AM
Jumping over the flag poles in the infamous "Lost Levels", aka, the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2, is not always a good idea. I've seen it happen where it stead of a warp pipe taking you forward, you get a warp pipe that takes you to World 1. Not good. Also, I have done the Minus World thing (the old-fashioned way), but how do you get infinate lives or jump over a flag? Also, what causes the flags to give you an extra life on occasion? I've had that happen every now and then, and it still baffles me.
To pull off the infinate lives trick takes tons of practice.

First, go to World 3-1.  Near the end you'll notice two green koopas walking down the stair-case like wall.  If you jump on one of them at just the right place while holding down A, the shell will bounce back off the wall and Mario will automatically continously jump on it.  Multiple hits without touching the ground makes the points rack up.  1st jump gives 100, second gives 200, third gives 400 and so on.  Eventually, you will start getting extra guys for each jump.  Keep going until time runs out.  Do it again, this time till about 100 seconds left and you'll trigger a glitch that, when you beat the level, shows that you have "crown-ice" lives, which will mean infinite.  It's a very cool trick. :)

As for the jump over the flag pole, first get to World 3-3.  Near the end is a balance bar.  Stay on the left side until the right side is close to the top.  If timed right, the bar on the right side will be stuck for a split second, which is your chance to quickly run across it and jump with the Super Jump.  If timed right, you'll soar over the flagpole without even touching it.  After which, I dare you to continously move forward. ;)

That help, Manny cav? :)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Sep 13 2007 on  08:07 AM
With this trick, you simply go to the warp pipes the normal way. However, you stop yourself near the end and cautiously walk forward until you fall through. If done right, the numbers won't appear and you can go into the World 2 warp pipe to access the minus world.

...I don't get it.
The entire explaination. ^^;

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Sep 13 2007 on  11:12 AM
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Sep 13 2007 on  08:07 AM
With this trick, you simply go to the warp pipes the normal way. However, you stop yourself near the end and cautiously walk forward until you fall through. If done right, the numbers won't appear and you can go into the World 2 warp pipe to access the minus world.

...I don't get it.
The entire explaination. ^^;
Okay, let me see if I can explain it any better...

You know how you get to the warp pipes in World 1-2 the normal way, right?  By running on the top of the level and going all the way past the exit pipe?

Well, stop just past the exit pipe and start tapping the Control Pad forward until you fall down and land in front of the warp pipes.

If done right, the screen will not have gone far enough to trigger the numbers to appear, thus giving you a chance to go into the pipe on the other end and activate the minus level.

Understand it now? :)

If you can't understand now, I won't try to help you any further. -_-

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hahaha, I think I've heard about the infinite lives before. :D

Also, I once did a challenge on the Super Mario Bros. SNES All-Star version -- get the highest high score possible, which is 9,999,990 without cheating, using warp pipes, without saving the game to get lives and going back to the first level, or even getting game overed, etc. I started a fresh game with the standard number of lives with no intention of ever skipping any levels (I didn't). I went through the entire game, getting as many points and staying alive for as long as possible. I did complete my challenge, getting the 9,999,990 points (it wouldn't go any higher) without skipping any levels, cheating, or even losing all of my lives. I must have played through the * set of levels a dozen times! It was a pretty long affair. I actually almost got game overed a few times, to the point of getting down to my last life (or VERY close, like, two lives). However, I eventually recovered, going all the way up to the maximum 99 and staying around there. When I got all of the points, I committed suicide and deliberately lost all of my lives. The monument of my achievement still stands today on the Super Mario Bros. All-Star version introduction screen that shows you the high score.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I believe my brother acomplished that as well, though i don't have my SNES anymore so i'm not sure. As for me, i'm not good enough at the original Mario Brothers to attempt it.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, let me see if I can explain it any better...

You know how you get to the warp pipes in World 1-2 the normal way, right? By running on the top of the level and going all the way past the exit pipe?

Well, stop just past the exit pipe and start tapping the Control Pad forward until you fall down and land in front of the warp pipes.

If done right, the screen will not have gone far enough to trigger the numbers to appear, thus giving you a chance to go into the pipe on the other end and activate the minus level.
I couldn't get it to work. o.O

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
In the SNES Super Mario All-Stars version of Super Mario Bros., they actually took out the infiniate glitch.  You can still get as many lives as you want the same way, they just won't be infinate anymore.  The trick can ONLY be accomplished in the originial NES version.

So, if you want to try the trick, you'd best get ready to fire up that old NES again. :)

Oh, and DarkHououmon, there was one last thing I forgot to mention.  When doing it the way I gave you, you have to make sure Mario is at the right edge of the screen when moving forward.  It's rather tricky to set it up like that, but if you pull it off, you have a better chance of making my way of the trick work.

Oh, one last thing, my way only works in the original NES version.  Nintendo pretty much fixed the problem when they brought it to All-Stars. :D

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I feel like telling an old story. :DD

My brother started a good old fashioned game of Super Mario Bros. 3 on our ever-aging NES. However, this particular playing would become infamous and frequently talked about between me and my brother. Very early on in the game (I'm not sure if it was in the first world or even at the title screen), the game went into something that happens not too commom, but it does happen -- something we call "construction". The sprites and backgrounds got garbled. However, this was a case as worse as we had ever seem. Weird things happened, like a P-Switch was a Goomba, a coin was a Koopa Troopa, A Buzzy Bettle was a brick, a P-Switch was a brick, a brick was a hammer, and the list went on and on snd on (of course, it didn't necessarily happen exactly like that, but you get the idea). It was madness!!! Nothing was as it seemed. This went on well into his game. The "construction" finally cleared up somewhere in the Pipe World (World 7). But, man, that was a long run in the game to have to be putting up with that. Our NES is full of surprises like this, not all of them as harmless (relatively speaking, obviosly) as this, though. :lol It was the day that SMB3 messed up. The NES is still chugging on, but the SMB3 cartridge is missing. I would actually like to see it again, as that is the last NES cartridge I remember buying brand new, and at Toys 'R' Us, to boot. I've got the Super Mario All-Stars re-release, but it's never quite the same.