The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

1990s overrated?

Daddytops2009

• Ducky
    • View Profile
So do you think the 1990s are overrated?

Those were the days of LBT sequels and some cheesy movies.

The RetroJunk forum are flooeded with how awesome the 1990s was.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
Maybe it's just because I'm a 90s kid but no, I don't think they were overrated. I thought the 90s were great: Saturday morning cartoons, the N64, Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network before they sucked. The 90s were a great time to be a kid.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
The 90's were awesome.  Dial-up internet service, AOL was the #1 internet provider, No one had heard of Google, Windows 3.1/95/98, Mac OS 8, the Nintendo 64, Cartoons on Saturday mornings, CD players were in the now, music was meh, being "cool" was everything, Palm Pilots and PDA's were pretty big, Beast Wars Transformers had state-of-the-art CGI animation, you could get gas for a reasonable price, cell phones were a novelty, small business was doing great, the economy wasn't great but it was actually moving at least, a K-Mart was on every corner, people were healthier, and overall things were about 1000x better than they are right now.  I really miss the 90's and I'd give almost anything to relive it all over again.

Blitz

• Petrie
    • View Profile
The 90s are by no means overrated. It had its ups and downs, just like every decade before and after it, even this year without a doubt. I also admit with an open heart that it was the best time to be a kid, that it had many great things, and that I miss those things as well. I remember watching cartoons/animated shows (anime) every Saturday morning, such as Animaniacs, Pokemon, Looney Tunes, and Tom & Jerry.

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Gaming Improved (Playstation One came into view)

Epic Cartoons and Animes (PokÈmon/Digimon) The list is endless.

Yeah I would say it's the best time to grow up in. :DD

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I think the 90s are overrated. I'm not saying there wasn't any good shows or anything during the 90s. I'm not even saying it was a terrible time. I'm just saying that I don't think it was really as remarkable as people like to think it was.

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Jun 13 2012 on  01:59 PM
I think the 90s are overrated. I'm not saying there wasn't any good shows or anything during the 90s. I'm not even saying it was a terrible time. I'm just saying that I don't think it was really as remarkable as people like to think it was.
I would say the 70's where overreated. Because that's what all the tv shows where I come from always talk about. But at the end of the day for me the only good thing about the 70's was the music was good. :lol

I guess kids like me think growing up in the 90's was a really good thing. (Because we where kids and didn't have to worry about anything like money or jobs) But don't other people say that about there era of growing up?

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude the 90's were totally awesome!

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hmm... let's see...

Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, Transformers - Beast Wars, Freakazoid, Pokemon, Digimon, The best time of the Power Rangers, The Simpsons before they sucked, and some of the best music EVER!

Yeah, if you don't think it was the best, you need a reality check.

You say it's overrated?  I say you need to check again. :)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I don't need to check again, and I don't need a reality check. I still stand by what I said, that I think the 90s are overrated. I'm not saying it was awful. Nowhere did I say that. If you think it's great, then okay, that's fine. But I don't need to change my opinion just because other people disagree with me. I'm entitled to it as you are yours.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
From a subjective point of view, I'd have to say the 1990s were the best period of my life. But that's because I was a child. People usually fondly remember their childhood. But I were to use objective criteria, such as personal wealth, scientific and technological progress, or quality of material products/infrastructure, then I would say that the 1970s were the zenith of Western civilisation, and human civilisation as a whole. Since the 1970s the only area of technology where progress has been rapid was computer technology, with the technologies necessary for our well-being (mineral extraction, energy production, food production, medicine) slowing down or stagnating. And in the West the level of education may be actually declining.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Also, I forgot to mention the growth in world population. The world as a whole is wealthier than ever, bu there are more mouths to feed than ever as well.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Every decade is probably overrated when it comes down to it.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Moviebob released a video about the 90s in his The Big Picture video series.

The 90s Didn't Suck
The 90s Didn't Suck

No, he doesn't really think the 90s sucked (and he says this at the end of the video). He just isn't as fond of it as he is the 80s because his life wasn't that great in the 90s (school I'm sure).

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
The 90's was the best year ever. We had the coolest snack and junk food. And a lot of other high fatty and sugar filled things. Back when Ralston had there line of breakfast cereal mostly food tie in cereals but they where okay. The T.V. Shows we had where awesome Duck Wing Duck, Bonkers, Super Mario World, Super Mario Brother's Super Show, Animaniacs, Duck Tales, Reruns of the Care Bears, Gummi Bears, Beetle Juice, and other awesome stuff. We had some okay and pretty good animated movies back than as well. The Lion King, The Lion King 2: Simba's Pride, Pokemon The First Movie, And we had some cool toys as well. Micro Machines, Hot Wheel's, Transformers, I know that is a 80's toy but we 90's kids played with them. Back than life was simple and easier going back than. Back when our parents had no clue what we did on AOL  Back in 1998. Man life was good back than and really fun. The games we played and came up with was awesome and totally cool and fun. Heck even gym class games where fun and very good. I loved the games I played back in gym class back in the 1990's. And the music we had also was amazing and very good. We had 2 Unlimited, Venga Boys, Aqua, the OMC How Bizarre Cotton Eye Joe, and other cool groups back than. I loved the 90's a lot. Back when we could get away with all most everything. Man what a fun decade that was. I always love talking about the 90's since it was a very good and bad time back than. Ah Memories. Good and bad memories but still they where great memories none the less.

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://raptoid.deviantart.com/
Absolutely not!  I think both the 80s and the 90s were awesome.  They were experimental, cheesy, and totally out there.  The early 2000s were great too, even with the cultural reset button of 9/11, the spirit of the 90s lasted a good two years after.

Animated movies were hand-drawn and CG movies didn't totally dominate the moviescape like they way they did in the 2000s.  Games of the time didn't rely on graphics as a crutch like so many do nowadays.  But that might be changing for the better.  Games of the 90s often relied on good storytelling, soundtracks and other atmospheric techniques to cope with the technical limitations of the SNES and Genesis.

Sometimes I wonder if I was meant to be born in 1981 rather than 1991.  Since many things that I feel good watching or playing come from 1980 through 2003.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
The 90s itself I don't think is overrated, but it certainly seems trendy in a lot of online communities to say that the 90s were the best decade. It mildly irritates me when kids born in the late 90s to early 2000s, say cartoons like Danny Phantom or Batman Beyond were 90s cartoons. Yeah no.

And actually, I embrace the late 90s and early 2000s media since, while I have fond memories of cartoons like those you see on old school Nickelodeon, 90s Cartoon Network, and what have you, I have a much clearer memory of those cartoons and trends than the 90s.

I suppose people simply just like to recall "the good old days" and others can relate to that nostalgia.

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Disney had their Renaissance age too, as I recall :) little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Lion King. Good year
we had movies like Ferngully and Pagemaster (I incidentally love those movies even if they were slammed by NC) loads of LBT as well
we had Green Day, N'Sync, Backstreet Boys!
And let's not forget the shows: Tailspin, Hey, Arnold! Rocket Power. I loved the quirky, adolescent- based POV theme, seemed a pretty popular theme for the nineties :)
WHOOO!
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It's not unusual for some folks to be nostalgic for a period 20 years previous.  In the 70's there was a nostalgia for the 50's, for example.  I think each era has it's good points, and not so good points.

OllyDirectioner

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Call me biased, but as a 90s kid, no they were not overrated. Besides, those were the days of the Disney Renaissance (which started with the release of The Little Mermaid in 1989).