The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Just started getting into Doctor Who.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
Oh, indeed. Even the newest of the new, ridiculous as they look (except for the eyestalk) are some nasty bits of art...and apparently, they can switch out their weapons at any time, but they're getting to that...which might actually explain some of the bulkiness.

The old ones were definitely cool, but when I think about it, they were probably the most...vulnerable, so to say. Victory of the Daleks shows the Doctor whacking one of the 2005 editions with a crowbar,with virtually no harm done to it except for getting a little flustered. But in Remembrance of the Daleks, his companion Ace whacks an Imperial Dalek with a super-charged baseball bat until its eyestalk and dome fall apart! And that's just one example! In another episode, they whack off the eyestalk like a twig the shove it out a window!
But, on the other hand, they managed to build their own edition of the TARDIS in The Chase, which made for a cool episode.
Why they've never done it again, I don't know.

I'm guessing that in the old Who-New Who encounters preceding the upcoming Asylum of the Daleks, those little Old Who mutants must have squelched up in terror at their superiority!

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Doctor Who villains building their own TARDIS. ...That sounds like something that'd happen right on the 11th Doctor's run. Frankly, I'm amazed it hasn't.

Yes, they are goofy looking. Though their intense, rage-filled shrieking voices also help make up for it.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ptyra,Aug 21 2012 on  12:16 AM
But yeah, you should definitely check out the Dalek episodes. I'm a bit of a Dalek nut...ehh, maybe too much of one.
Ptyra, did you make all those Dalek plushies yourself? :wow They're rather cute (especially the little tiny one on the right). Maybe you should post some pictures of those guys in your art thread. :idea

This is going to sound strange to most people, but I've always found the New Series Dalek mutants to be kind of adorable. :oops :p This especially goes for the first one from "Dalek" and Dalek Caan in the Season 4 finale (see Ptyra's signature). It probably helps that I have a soft spot for cephalopods, which the Daleks more or less resemble. :p

I recently drew a Dalek wearing a graduation cap for my mother's graduation card (she was getting her doctorate, so I figured why not include a reference to the ultimate Doctor? :p), and a Dalek, a Slitheen, and the Space Pig standing side-by-side on a mini birthday card for my youngest brother. :lol

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I never really liked the daleks myself.  Though I do wonder why nothing has been done with the good daleks briefly seen in Evil of the Daleks.  I guess no one would like that type.  Though it could be a different faction of daleks.  And the only Davros I've liked was the first one, though like with the daleks most like his every appearance.

The daleks were a huge hit from the start.

I heard rumors that this season they may do stand alone episodes instead of every episode being part of a season long story.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yes, I did make them. Though since picture was taken, I've done some modifications with the biggest one, namely taking off the machine-stitched legs and re-sewing them back on by hand so they could be a lot more even.

And I would post it on my art thread if people were looking at it now!

There was a comic called the Only Good Dalek in which a Dalek had been experimented on to be made more benign, and then the others started trying to hunt it down, seeing it as an "abomination". Then there was the audio play Jubilee in which a Dalek's only option in its life at the time was to help a few humans overthrow the alternate London government's "president". Yes, president.
That one is my favorite Dalek storyline, besides Prisoner of the Daleks, which was a book. And it was the inspiration for the 2005 re-introduction to the Daleks, with themes of the Dalek being tortured in the captivity of a maniac, and supposedly being the "last Dalek". Though, the one in Jubilee bonds with the companion (History professor Evelyn Smithe) a lot more than with Rose. It's one I DEFINITELY recommend listening to if you need another good Dalek story.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I'd love to see a good Dalek become a Doctor Companion, personally. I'd love to see The Doctor and that Dalek Companion have a nice philosophical discussion about how to deal with bad guys. Like the Dalek would still probably think they should go ahead and EXTERMINATE the latest evil doer messing with the timeline and The Doctor would rather not (unless forced to by circumstances).

Good Dalek: "IF YOU LET HIM/HER/IT LIVE, THEY WILL PROBABLY NOT REFORM, AND WILL JUST CAUSE MORE HAVOC ANOTHER DAY."
The Doctor: "That's not the point! We need to give them a chance!"
That's just the shot version. I'm sure they'd throw all kinds of reasons for their stance back and forth, but you get the idea.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I want to see him with a Dalek companion too.
Dalek Sec could have been awesome, but alas...

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Oh man, Dalek Sec was awesome as a villain and a character!

Just thought of more for the argument between Reformed Dalek and The Doctor:

Reformed Dalek: "IT IS A VERY DIFFICULT THING TO CHANGE ONESELF FOR MOST OF US, DOCTOR. I KNOW FROM MY OWN EXPERIENCES. JUST HOW MANY OF YOUR ENEMIES HAVE YOU BEEN ABLE TO DISSUADE FROM THEIR PATH? THE NUMBER CANNOT BE VERY HIGH."
The Doctor: "You're right, and I won't deny that things go bad most of the time. But... You changed. You did what I thought was impossible. A Dalek that knows mercy and compassion. Please, that right there proves that every lifeform deserves a chance. I just need a chance to talk with [them]."
Reformed Dalek: "PERHAPS, DOCTOR. VERY WELL, BUT IF OUR ENEMY PROVES TO BE IRREDEEMABLE, I WILL NOT HESITATE."

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
That sort of a relationship would be awesome between the Doctor and a Dalek companion would be awesome.
I too have played with ideas for the Doctor and a Dalek companion, mostly one that had been mutated into a human-Dalek like Sec did, but to a woman...because that itself would be a fun concept to work with

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The dalek would likely have to have at least some of the human factor, sort of thing that the ones in Evil of the Daleks got, or be a hybrid, like I heard they did in 1 story, part human and part dalek, or something.

EggStealerGirl

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://rosethethief.deviantart.com/
I haven't seen it, but I know a couple of my friends that have.

I also wouldn't be too surprised if Doctor Hooves got me into this show, either. :DD

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There could have been survivors at the end of the Evil of the Daleks, including some Good Daleks.  Though lost, there is 1 episode and clips of the story, and on youtube there are some folks who have done a reconstruction of parts also.   I've seen some of the story episodes in reconstruction, but I've not yet watched/listened all of it from beginning to end.  I will when it's turn comes up.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
There was an 8th Doctor comic that featured what happened to Alpha, Beta, and Omega during the little rebellion in Evil of the Daleks, where they went to another planet and made a population of Daleks there that focused themselves on their humanity and peace, even making art.

Those three were creepily cute...

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Not sure how they'd get to another planet, but there could have been survivors from the battle.  Or some maybe just leaving during all the explosions and such.  Though I guess they'd be stuck on Skaro somewhere.  Lots of areas on Skaro for them to go and live and not see others I would assume.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well, The Ninth Doctor described each and every Dalek as being a genius, so they could have built a transport device.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well, even the old ones had some technological deficiancies.
Someone is working on a brilliant fan-comic revolving around Daleks in an alternate universe who have emotions, but that is gradually being taken away, and the rebellion springing up against that. It's called The Second Empire. (I'm playing the Combat Mechanics in an upcoming episode of the animated series. (Both the animator and the original creator were both thinking what I was about the feminine voices and them being like their equivalent to the women who served as nurses smack in the middle of battle. I was quiet happy to learn that) One of the things the rebel groups talk about is that while they have taken up technology used by cultures they conquered, they never completely learned about them.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Anyone else kind of disappointed that supplementary materials are being more thorough in exploring all possible outlets of Dalek nature than the main show is?
The Second Empire definitely seems interesting.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It's still really cool, and I'm still giddy to see my parts animated...though, I'm considering re-doing a couple lines.

I would like to see an episode or some kind of story based on the daily life of the Daleks, maybe a two-parter or something were the Doctor is subjugated into some kind of hoo-haa so that he can see a regular Dalek's life from birth as if it is his own life, and with his idea of life, probably suffer just a little bit more than a typical Dalek does. I sort of see him having incredible "I'm cold, I'm tired, I'm in agonizing physical pain caused by more circumstances than I can list besides all these wires driving into my flesh, and I've just realized that I really need a cuddle or something" thoughts during that time. Of course, any other Dalek wouldn't think the last thing, but probably everything else, and have a feeling they can't describe, that being the "I need to cuddle"...and promptly deny it if they figure it out.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
That would work perfectly. Oh geez, as if we need to torture The Doctor even more!

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah XD
But it might put him on a more mutual level with the Daleks