The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What are your guilty pleasures?

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Wait, Where The Wild Things Are got bad reviews and bashed?  I saw that on DVD the other day and thought it was a nice movie actually.

Same with Planet 51 as well, I thought that was a nice twist on the whole alien visiting a planet sort of thing, the alien being us this time, visiting a alien planet that live in the 50s.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
So here are mine.

1. Pearl Harbor- Screw you, Mr. Ebert.  I don't know why so many people hate this movie.  I actually love this movie.  I mean, I know it kicks historical accuracy to the curb but if I wanted a history lesson I'd go watch the History Channel.

2. Sink the Bismarck- Another one that boots historical accuracy but I like it anyway.  I go to the movies to be entertained, not to get a history lesson.  Besides that, this movie inspired that kick-ass song by Johnny Horton.

3. The Alamo (the 2004 one)- This movie was a box office bomb but I don't care.  I thought it was pretty good.  And again, I don't understand why so many people seem to hate it.  I thought it was great.  I like how they portrayed Jim Bowie and Davy Crockett as real people instead of the larger-than-life figures the other movies show them as.  

4. Eragon- Yeah, it blew the big one but I just like it for some reason.  I mostly like the soundtrack.  

5. Disney's Dinosaur-  A retread of LBT, but I still like it.  It had awesome music and great animation.

6. Atlantis: The Lost Empire- I really really like this movie. I thought the darker tone of the story and the abnormal level of violence was a step forward for a disney movie.  And it didn't have any singing in it.  I hate it when characters randomly burst into song.  

7. Treasure Planet- Same as above.  It totally rapes the laws of physical science but I loved the animation and the music and I thought the story was actually good.  

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
Quote from: MrDrake,Apr 13 2010 on  05:59 AM
Wait, Where The Wild Things Are got bad reviews and bashed?  I saw that on DVD the other day and thought it was a nice movie actually.

Same with Planet 51 as well, I thought that was a nice twist on the whole alien visiting a planet sort of thing, the alien being us this time, visiting a alien planet that live in the 50s.
It got good reviews(And ended up several critic's top movies of '09). But just go to the IMDB boards for Where the Wild Things Are. Most of the topics are people moaning and groaning about "how awful it is".

And Planet 51 actually looks pretty good. I was surprised by the low ratings it got.

Dash The Longneck

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Alvin and the Chipmunks 1 and the Squeakquel

Every  "Buddies" sequel (You know Air Bud's pups. I think there's about 4 of em. Air Buddies, Snow Buddies, Space Buddies, and Santa Buddies)

Planet 51

Where The Wild Things are.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
The Pacifier, Daddy Day Care

Treasure Planet

Disney's Atlantis

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
"Jeepers Creepers"

The only reason this film is listed as a guilty pleasure of mine is due to how badly the ending sucked.  This film really scared the living hell outta me up until the Creeper takes off with Darry and flies into the night.  It sucked after that.  The film had a lot of potential for a scary-as-hell ending, but the creators blew it :bang.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
I think "Antz" is becoming one. Yes, it is not that great of a movie, especially compared to A Bug's Life, but it has its moments. "You could get in trouble for listening to someone talking about pretending to be a soldier!"
Z is VERY bland compared to Flik, since he's all "bawwwww, I feel insignificant!", while Flick does his rock/seed-to-tree thing. Now that I think about it, most of the main characters in Antz ARE pretty darn bland. That's probably why I've become attached to Chip. He became my "Manny" (the mantis in ABL) in Antz, and his wife Muffy kinda became my Gypsy (the moth in ABL). They're such an adorable couple (CUDDLY-WIDDLES!), and I was very touched by Chip's grief over Muffy's death. And I really don't blame him for it, as she was swatted right in the middle of a (quite random) snuggling. Her death seemed a little random at first, but Chip had a motivation to help Z get back to the colony, and it was that his "Wattling Kiddles" would have wanted to help.

Lol, so I guess the only reason for it being my guilty pleasure is my fondness for the two wasps, the only characters I really liked, besides Barbados. And...none of those three were around very long.

Danggit, why do all the best characters have the smallest parts?

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
"3 Ninjas" is another guilty pleasure of mine.  I think I'm most drawn to the slapstick nature of it, especially the sound effects the weapons of opportunity (usually tools :blink:) make upon contact with a human form.

BOINK!

POOOONG!

CRASH!

CLINK!

:lol  :spit

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Eragon, for me.  
Mostly 'case I think Saphira's design is sexy.   :oops

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyBlueAOFW
The Land Before Time XIII: The Wisdom of Friends
The Pebble and the Penguin
The Descent Part 2

That's all I know of all the movies I scene that got bad reviews. I don't really look for the reviews of movies too often. I normally just find links to them on IMDB, Wikipedia or Wikia.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
Okay, let me take a great big breath
*GREAT BIG BREATH*

Fish Hooks.
I'm not the biggest fan of Disney Channel. It's all sitcoms for kids.
But I decided at random "Okay...what is this"
And was hit with a train of "wtf" and mild bemusement.

Now, one of the things I hated about Suite Life was that Agnes girl who always pined after one of the boys. But Clamantha. Holy mother of pearl, she was different! Her level of creepy-girl-with-crush delivered, and her voice alone helped add to that. She sounds like someone making fun of a network censor sponsor...or at least how I would parody them sounding. And she did more than just pine...she had more personality than that, albeit a bit of a jerk. Right down to laughing when everyone else was shocked when Mr. Baldwin (who seems to be turning out to be my favorite character) revealed he was pregnant. "You didn't know male seahorses could get pregnant, and neither did I! But nature happens!"
Okay, how did he NOT know?
He was another thing I liked. He's the the middle-aged, balding teacher who hated his job...but pregnant with four girls. I would liked to have been in the boardroom when they came up with that. Though, I imagine an episode from his point of view would be a bit on the comically dark side. He's all of what I said earlier and seems to live alone. Isn't there a Mrs. Baldwin somewhere?
It would be cool to see another side of him than the exhausted grump than he usually is. There are bits of his softer side here and there, like agreeing to help the main characters when they finally tell him that he has a double life as a super-hero so Bea can get a journalism report done (of which the course is taught by a frog voiced by none other than Pleakly!), and seems to have internal excitement about his babies...he already has a bassinet for them.  

I figured there would be a lot more jokes regarding seahorse pregnancy, but really, only two or three.

And the episode with the school musical, Potatoes for Winter! Who knew Fiddler on the Roof and Beauty and the Beast could be meshed so well by fish...with potatoes as a central part. Oh, the first song parodying "Tradition" had me giggling!

Now, one of the things that does annoy me are two of the characters, Milo and Bea. Milo is the cookie-cutter trouble maker, who threatens his and everyone else's lives  every other episode, and Bea seems a lot like that...one chick from Glee. The hyper-aspiring actress who MUST. DO. EVERYTHING in order to become a star...and is Jewish, but I haven't seen that touched on much. And then you had the cookie-cutter jock/bully...pretty bland. And his girlfriend.
I could do without the rare "gross out" bits.

Also, why a pet store? Is it really so unpopular that the animals make whole civilizations that interact with each other? I think a city aquarium would have made a lot more sense, like the one in Dallas, and that would greatly expand their world. But a pet store? Really?

But yeah, for all the bad rep Disney Channel is getting, this is kind of okay. It's weird, but it's harmless...and I've already developed fan character concepts, and one of them is based of my Junior AP English teacher...thanks a lot, Mr. Heape...you are now a tigerfish named Mr. Lyons (and THAT is an interesting story itself!)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
My Little Pony (Friendship is Magic series only) and LBT of course. :D

EggStealerGirl

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://rosethethief.deviantart.com/
1. Denver the Last Dinosaur, (not overly horrible, just rather cheesy sometimes)! :lol

2. Land Before Time sequels

3. Brave Little Toaster sequels

4. Quest For Camelot

5. Cars 2

6. G3 MLP movies

Drake

• Ducky
    • View Profile
The Land Before Time sequels. And that's pretty much it. I love pretty much everything I watch too much to consider any of it a guilty pleasure.

EggStealerGirl

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://rosethethief.deviantart.com/
Just to add a new one to mine; the Pebble and the Penguin. :p

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Let's revive this thing with my pick.  Apparently, All Dogs Go to Heaven is 44% on Rotten Tomatoes. :rhett_ohno

:rhett_grin What atrocity is this?  How dare the internet give this wonderful movie such a low rating!  I love and enjoy this movie!  It saddens me to see this.

In all seriousness, I do understand the short comings of this movie.  I guess with how dark it is, it would turn some people off.  However, this only makes me like it more.  It was a product of it's time.  I also consider it one of the last good movies Don Bluth made for some time.

It has a great story and I enjoy the characters.  Really, I can't hate this one.  In fact, I think I'll watch it tomorrow since it just recently arrived on Netflix and I've had a bad week.  Yeah, I'll do that tomorrow.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
The Room. :P

I'm not gonna defend that movie in any way, but as far as so-bad-it's-good experiences go, it's a real treat. :D

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The Room is way too good to watch :p

I managed to convert a few of my old co-workers as my roommate did to me  :bestsharptooth

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog