The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Movies You Think Shouldn't Have Bombed

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
What movies did you really like that didn't make much money and just made you think, "Well, now why didn't that do well?" For me, I'd have to say...

Where the Wild Things Are I don't quite understand why people trash this so much. I loved it! Personally, it's one of my favorite films! I was a little disheartened when I found out that it only made $77 million compared to its $100 million budget. I mean that's pretty good for an otherwise unknown director like Spike Jonze but still...

Scott Pilgrim vs. The WorldI thought that this was one of the best films this year. It was funny, the acting was believeable(especially for the world the characters lived in), and it had something a lot of movies lack nowadays: Heart. But most of all, it was a lot of fun. I guess I can kind of understand why it didn't do so well since a lot of people probably haven't read the graphic novels but this could have easily been for everyone. I hadn't read the comics prior to the film and I loved this movie! It actually made me want to get the comics!

The Princess and the Frog is yet another movie I think deserved to succeed. The animation was beautiful, the songs were great, and I loved the characters. I think if it was released in the 80's or 90's, then it would have done much better.

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
i might be the only one who says this, but...

Rock A Doodle. Sure, Edmond's voice is annoying, but it was a fun little animated film, and I was sad to see Don Bluth's box office returns decrease. The songs weren't that bad even if they were a bit random. I liked the interaction between the Grand Duke and Hunch, and, in all honesty, I put the Duke of Owls on my list of "Villains who deserved to win." (I mean, the speech he gives to Edmond about the creatures of the night does have a point.  :DD )

For a more recent example...

9. It only barely made it's money back, but I still wish it would've done better. Though it was only PG-13, it had some effective scare parts and the voice acting was good.

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyBlueAOFW
The Pebble and the Penguin: For having such a large budget (about $28 million), and only 1/4 of that in money made. I'd say the movie is worth watching at any time, they could've added more better songs like Now and Forever (intro version) and Marina's version of sometimes I wonder.

I might have more, but I don't keep track of movies that go bad, I just watch them for the heck of it, now just the good ones.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
rockadoddle came out 2 years after LBT, and wasn't recieved very well.. princess and the Frog didn't really bomb it made over 100 million.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yes, Princess and the Frog did make little over $100 million, but just barely. Its budget was $105 million and its final gross was $104 million so it did bomb.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
all it would take is a short -re-release to get that number up out of the bomb range..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
1. The Alamo (the 2004 version).  I only recently saw this film and I guess the reason it flopped was because it had to compete with several other big films.  This is probably the most historically accurate film about the Alamo.  I liked the way it portrayed Davy Crockett and Jim Bowie as real people instead of the larger than life figures they are often made out to be.  I also like the way it told both sides of the story.  Santa Anna played a huge role in the film, unlike in other versions where he barely appeared at all.  

2. The Iron Giant.  Do I really need to explain why this one should have been a success?

3. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm.  Again, another animated film that should have been a success.  It was made by the same people who produced the award-winning animated series.  The Nostalgia Critic mentioned this film, along with Iron Giant, in his Top 11 underrated classics video.  Being a fan of Batman, I looked the film up on Youtube (I'd buy the DVD but I can't find it anywhere) and dang, it was awesome!  Every bit as awesome as the tv series!

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Mask of The Phantasm never appeared in theathers it was a direct to video release as I recall. and yes it was an excellent film..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nick22,Sep 25 2010 on  12:44 AM
Mask of The Phantasm never appeared in theathers it was a direct to video release as I recall. and yes it was an excellent film..
Yes it did.  It was originally just going to be a direct to video film but they decided to instead release it in theaters.  It bombed though.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nick22,Sep 25 2010 on  12:21 AM
all it would take is a short -re-release to get that number up out of the bomb range..
That is true but I don't think Disney really cares that much to re-release it in theaters. They're far too preoccupied with their next films, like the upcoming Rapunzel movie.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Prince of Persia: It was a fine, fun film. Should have done better.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

m01

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Anyone here seen Equilibrium?
One of my favorite movies, it holds 7.7 rating on IMDB
The budget was 20 milion and it grossed only 5

Dash The Longneck

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Alpha and Omega: Every critic and their mother seems to hate this film with a passion. I have seen this movie like 4 times. It has great animation , great characters, a real good story and everything. I have no idea why this movie is not doing so well.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I've seen the movie and, while I don't hate it, I don't feel it was very good. My two main complaints are the way the wolves move and the story.

What killed the movie for me is when the wolves started dancing on their hind legs at Midnight Howl. I started thinking I was watching some movie about werewolves. I kinda wish it was, at least then the "standing on two legs" and "using front paws like they were hands" would've made more sense. But real wolves aren't like that, and I feel the creators of the movie should have put more effort into making the wolves actually feel wolf-like.

My second gripe is the story. It wasn't horrible. But it's problem comes from being way too predictable. I knew how the story would generally go even before it happened. I know who was going to end up with who. I knew what certain consequences were going to be before they happened. I feel they should have been more original with the story and make it less obvious. My brother pointed out the same thing, that it was just too predictable of a story.

Now there were a few things I liked about the movie. I love Kate's mom (that is her mom right?). I just love some of the lines she says. I find it hilarious how she can say some of those very violent lines while having a smile on her face. And another thing I like was how the movie got at least one part of wolf life correct. Omegas really are the "peace makers" of the pack, from what I recall. They try to lessen tension among the pack. Not in the same manner as the movie of course but they still try to "keep the peace".

Dash The Longneck

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Sep 30 2010 on  08:34 AM
I've seen the movie and, while I don't hate it, I don't feel it was very good. My two main complaints are the way the wolves move and the story.

What killed the movie for me is when the wolves started dancing on their hind legs at Midnight Howl. I started thinking I was watching some movie about werewolves. I kinda wish it was, at least then the "standing on two legs" and "using front paws like they were hands" would've made more sense. But real wolves aren't like that, and I feel the creators of the movie should have put more effort into making the wolves actually feel wolf-like.

My second gripe is the story. It wasn't horrible. But it's problem comes from being way too predictable. I knew how the story would generally go even before it happened. I know who was going to end up with who. I knew what certain consequences were going to be before they happened. I feel they should have been more original with the story and make it less obvious. My brother pointed out the same thing, that it was just too predictable of a story.

Now there were a few things I liked about the movie. I love Kate's mom (that is her mom right?). I just love some of the lines she says. I find it hilarious how she can say some of those very violent lines while having a smile on her face. And another thing I like was how the movie got at least one part of wolf life correct. Omegas really are the "peace makers" of the pack, from what I recall. They try to lessen tension among the pack. Not in the same manner as the movie of course but they still try to "keep the peace".\
Yeah, that was Kate's mom. I loved the way she said all those violent lines and then mid movie after Lilly volunteers to show Garth around she said "AWWWWWWW, isn't that sweet...........She gets that from me" And through out the whole movie she is almost the exact opposite. That made me crack up. I do agree that there are some flaws. But every critic is making it out to be "The worst movie ever" which IMO it is very far from that. But we have all our own opinions . I just feel it's great and even though it has flaws it should get more people watching.

I happen to feel movies like people can't be flawless. If you look real carefully every movie has one flaw or another.

My favorite character was Lilly. If you don't remember her she was the white wolf who's hair/fur kept on going over her eye.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
i might actually go see it.. see if its worth writing hiome about..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Now this is my kind of topic. I'll start with 2010 and 2009 movies I think should have "bombed".

Kick-ass: It may be violent but Tim Allen and hit girl makes this movie not only kick-ass but bad-ass!

Scott Pilgrim Vs The World: I'm disappointed of how little money this film made. It was a graphically beautiful with intense action sequences! The villians were interesting, too!

StarTrek: Who hasn't heard of startrek?

Cloudy with a chance of meatballs: A movie I thought could've rivaled How to train your dragon.  :D

Dash The Longneck

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: oogaboo,Oct 1 2010 on  07:03 PM
Now this is my kind of topic. I'll start with 2010 and 2009 movies I think should have "bombed".

Kick-ass: It may be violent but Tim Allen and hit girl makes this movie not only kick-ass but bad-ass!

Scott Pilgrim Vs The World: I'm disappointed of how little money this film made. It was a graphically beautiful with intense action sequences! The villians were interesting, too!

StarTrek: Who hasn't heard of startrek?

Cloudy with a chance of meatballs: A movie I thought could've rivaled How to train your dragon.  :D
Tim Allen? I think I know who you mean but that wasn't Tim Allen. Who you are thinking about is Nicolas Cage I think.

I didn't know Kick Ass or Scott Pilgrim did so bad. I work at a Movie Theater and it sure seemed like every day we had a full theater for both of these movies.

I can't speak about Scott Pilgrim since I never saw it looks like I'll have to put it on my Netflix list.

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: [/QUOTE on  
Tim Allen? I think I know who you mean but that wasn't Tim Allen. Who you are thinking about is Nicolas Cage I think.

Right. I meant to say Nicholas Cage. :oops