The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Under-rated animation films...

Saft · 35 · 2961

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Did this on another forum and received some interesting posts.  Thought might do the same here.

---Under-rated animation films---  

Please note that I do not refer to computer animation films such as Shrek, Bolt or Ice Age.  I refer to classic animation (ie; drawing)...

Here are some of mine:

-Spirit: One of the good things about this film was that the horses did not talk, so the story telling (despite the short parts of narration read by Matt Damon) was done entirely by music; Bryan Adams and Hans Zimmer.  If the film is remembered I think it would be with the soundtrack.
-Balto: No one knows about it anymore...and it's quite sad because aside from the soundtrack, the storyline is quite good too.
-Atlantis: I will admit that I didn't think much about the film but I wish that it had more recognition...it wasn't a bad film in comparison to the likes of Home on the Range and Kida is a Disney Princess..even if she isn't the sterotypical ''Damsel in distress''.
-Swan Princess: Not the sequel(s), I refer to the first film.  Shame that it came out around the same time as the Lion King or it might have done reasonably well.  Funnily enough people think it is disney.;)
-Fern Gully:  Whilst it was a bit scary, for a little kid... Hexus (?) was pretty scary.  However, unlike some films...nowadays...there is a clear message about preserving the environment.  Something of which I think children should watch.  

There are probably a few more..but I think I've written enough.
Thanks.

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyBlueAOFW
The Land Before Time and The Land Before Time VI: The Secret of Saurus Rock are the only ones I can think of.

But they might not count, since they only have mild violence. :confused

babidikrakenguard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Really? I thought quite alot of people liked those movies that you've listed (Except for Atlantis.. There are a few, but not many..)

I really like some of the Sequels, but not many people really like the sequels.. But for now, i'll just say which ones i think are pretty underrated..

Black Cauldron
Surprise! I always thought it was pretty populer when i was little. You've got the Horned King appearing in various merchandise(Even have a beach towel with some of the villains and the Horned King is one of them) but i've recently discovered that people either dont know the movie or dont like the movie because it either..
A, Strays to far from the books.
B, Is too dark for kids.
or C, Some other reason that i forgot about..
Honestly though, i think the movie is just like any other Disney movie and is just as good. I mean, it's not my all time favorite movie but it's one of my favorites. It never scared me, but like i said: That's coming from someone who loved Jurassic Park..

Pebble and the Penguin
So what if the penguins have teeth? So what if Drake is a little large for penguin standards? I loved the movie!

Quest for Camelot
Some people like it, some dont..

Sequel-Wise..

The Land Before Time Sequels
Atleast the ones i've seen so far.. Really! I liked the original but i liked the sequels as well! Just not as much as the original.. But dang, you should read some of the stuff people say about the sequels! :|

Various Disney Sequels
Again, not as good as the original but they were still good.. Take Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas for example. I think it would make a very good movie for them to show on the disney channel during Christmas. I thought it was just a little Christmas Movie and you've got all these other people saying "MURDERERS! THEY MURDERED THE MOVIE BY MAKING LAME SEQUELS! DESTROY! DESTROY!" That, or it's "OH MY GOD! ARIEL GAVE BIRTH TO A MONSTER!" when it comes to Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea.. Sucks being a character from the sequels..

Ferngully 2
Do i really need to say more? Dang.. :|

There was this one movie called Battlefield Earth, but i'll save that for a different topic.. :D

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: ScratteLover3,Aug 6 2010 on  11:50 AM
The Land Before Time and The Land Before Time VI: The Secret of Saurus Rock are the only ones I can think of.

I don't think Land Before Time was an underrated film. Keep in mind that it pretty much gave birth to the entire franchise. All LBT sequels and episodes owe their existence to the first movie. It's also widely considered the best LBT movie (and I agree). The sequels I can see as underrated movies, but not the original.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
An American Tail. Once it was the most popular film in the 80s, but now its one of Bluth's less thought of films after Secret of NIMH and Land Before Time. Admittedly, the latter two are better, but that doesn't stop American Tail from being a masterpiece in its own right though.

Prince of Egypt. Not going to really go into it, but it can be more well thought of than it is.

The Iron Giant. Why did this flop at theaters? Seriously? I've seen very few better "A Boy and His X" films, and that's saying something since such stories can be quite moving when well done.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

TITANOSAUR

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://titanosaur.deviantart.com/
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Aug 7 2010 on  12:13 AM
The Iron Giant. Why did this flop at theaters? Seriously? I've seen very few better "A Boy and His X" films, and that's saying something since such stories can be quite moving when well done.
I thought the Iron Giant was a great movie. and was surprised to find out the film was a flop myself. the story was good, the animation was well don, the charactors where great, plus it was set around the time of (I THINK) the Cold War or WWII.

I thought Titan A.E was good.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Iron Giant had Brad Bird leading the way...that's why it worked. :)  (same guy directed the Incredibles if you weren't aware of it)  That's probably the only "underrated" animation film that really didn't get its due.  I think American Tail got its due....far more than Iron Giant.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Aug 6 2010 on  11:22 AM
Quote from: ScratteLover3,Aug 6 2010 on  11:50 AM

I don't think Land Before Time was an underrated film. Keep in mind that it pretty much gave birth to the entire franchise. All LBT sequels and episodes owe their existence to the first movie. It's also widely considered the best LBT movie (and I agree). The sequels I can see as underrated movies, but not the original.
Well it's underrated in the effect that you don't really hear people talk about it much anymore. True it created an entire franchise but there are also movies almost as old or older than the first Land Before Time that are still talked about to this day. Take Star Wars for instance. It was created eleven years before LBT and people still talk about it and reference it in pop culture some thirty odd years later. The Lion King is only six years younger than LBT and yet people still talk about it. Not to mention that it's nearly impossible to find any Land Before Time merchandise in stores.

In that regard, I would say that the first LBT is definitely underrated.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
the lIon kIng was a much more financially succesful  film than LBT and frankly ranks as one of the greatest animated films ever made. LBT did spawn a franchise though..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Lion King spawned somewhat of a franchise itself. Coloring books, computer games, video games, etc.  I think Lion King even had its own shampoo if I remember correctly.

I know Lion King made far more than Land Before Time did. But just because a movie made a lot a decade ago doesn't exactly mean that people will still be talking about it a decade later. Twister made $241 mil. and yet people have pretty much all but forgotten about it.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Disney's Atlantis- I don't know why so many people hate it.  It is one of my favorite Disney movies and I like how it took on a darker tone than other Disney movies.  I like how there wasn't any singing.  To me, this movie was something fresh and new for Disney.  

Treasure Planet- Another Disney film that I love for the same reasons listed above.  

The Iron Giant-  Again, I like the dark and serious tone and the ending made me cry a little.  

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm-  I looked it up on Youtube after the Nostalgia Critic mentioned it in one of his reviews.  As someone who adored the animated series, I loved this movie.  I am currently looking for it on DVD.  I thought it was actually better than the live action films.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: F-14 Ace,Aug 8 2010 on  01:39 AM
Disney's Atlantis- I don't know why so many people hate it.  It is one of my favorite Disney movies and I like how it took on a darker tone than other Disney movies.  I like how there wasn't any singing.  To me, this movie was something fresh and new for Disney. 

Treasure Planet- Another Disney film that I love for the same reasons listed above. 

The Iron Giant-  Again, I like the dark and serious tone and the ending made me cry a little. 

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm-  I looked it up on Youtube after the Nostalgia Critic mentioned it in one of his reviews.  As someone who adored the animated series, I loved this movie.  I am currently looking for it on DVD.  I thought it was actually better than the live action films.
I've seen all the movies listed except for Mask of the Phantasm. I don't remember what I thought of Atlantis. Iron Giant I got sick of because of the all day marathons on Cartoon Network. Treasure Planet I really didn't like that much because I'm not interested in pirate movies. Seen the movie only once and I have no plans to see it again. My sister likes the movie though, along with Atlantis. I think she owns the movies but I'm not too sure.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile

But they might not count, since they only have mild violence.

Why would mild violence not count?  It's not as though the ''violence'' in the six sequel would ''damage'' children....a lot of films (such as The Lion kIng) have violence in them (and death) so why should that not count?  -Confused-

Oliver and company is also another one (Thanks Daddytops).

Thank you for responses.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Titan A.E- I've read people saying that this was a terrible movie. Last summer I finally got around to seeing it and I really enjoyed it. Sure it was dull at some parts but it was still fun. It was nice seeing an animated movie that wasn't geared towards kids.

Case Closed/Detective Conan movies- Well actually the entire series period. I don't get why Case Closed wasn't popular in the U.S. I think it's a great series. The characters are fun, the cases are exciting and surprisingly complicated for a kid's show, and I just love the Black Organization. They're some of my favorite anime villains. I hope Funimation does decide to continue releasing Case Closed box sets/movies because I'll definitely be sure to pick them up.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
The Princess and the Frog- Despite it's short lived popularity, it really isn't talked about that much by the media anymore and this is barely a year old. I find this to be a very wonderful film by todays standards with Disney.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm- I looked it up on Youtube after the Nostalgia Critic mentioned it in one of his reviews. As someone who adored the animated series, I loved this movie. I am currently looking for it on DVD. I thought it was actually better than the live action films.

Definately under-rated. Very good movie that actually shares similarities with The Dark Knight. i dunno if i can say its better than the live action ones, since i haven't watched it in awhile, but its at least on par with them.

Titan A.E- I've read people saying that this was a terrible movie. Last summer I finally got around to seeing it and I really enjoyed it. Sure it was dull at some parts but it was still fun. It was nice seeing an animated movie that wasn't geared towards kids.

Yea i've heard bad things about it as well, but i thought it was a pretty good movie.

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: Animeboye,Aug 11 2010 on  08:10 PM

Case Closed/Detective Conan movies- Well actually the entire series period. I don't get why Case Closed wasn't popular in the U.S. I think it's a great series. The characters are fun, the cases are exciting and surprisingly complicated for a kid's show, and I just love the Black Organization. They're some of my favorite anime villains. I hope Funimation does decide to continue releasing Case Closed box sets/movies because I'll definitely be sure to pick them up.
Thank you! I love Detective Conan/Case Closed as well, and I wish it had a bigger success in the US. At least the volumes of the manga still get released. Though it is a bit confusing that in the English dubbed books, Ai's dub name is Anita Hailey wheras in dubbed movies 3-6 her English name is Vy Graythorne.

Daddytops2009

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah, Quest for Camelot and The Iron Giant, full of nostalgia!

And also Millionaire Dogs.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Haven't seen Quest for Camelot in a long time, the first time I saw it was near the ending shown on ITV.

The Princess and the Frog- Despite it's short lived popularity, it really isn't talked about that much by the media anymore and this is barely a year old. I find this to be a very wonderful film by todays standards with Disney.

It's amazing how there are some ''wonderful'' films out there in which are just ignored...and then there are focuses on mediocre films such as High School Musical...