The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

2-D or 3-D animation for movies

a1iengutz

• Stealer of Teeth
  • Ruby
  • Don't ask me I just work here
    • View Profile
    • My art insta
I prefer 2D for sure! it feels so much more sincere and beautiful, there's usually a lot more care in the craft! Many of my favorite properties are done in 2D, including invader zim, gorillaz (excepting that weird mocap/3D phase they had) and of course LBT  :cerahappy! Don't get me wrong, Amazing things can be done with 3D, and it can be used to elevate and help the creation of 2D properties, and it has been used and blended (with a lot of success) with 2D in invader zim, LBT and Beastars, too!
Anyways, I do prefer 2D but not by and intense amount  :^^spike
  I'm cool, I swear! Take a nap

Rattymon

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I definitely prefer 2D animation.

To me, it looks nicer and tends to age better.  :ChomperPOG

HotelValleyfornia

• Shark took my leg, brah!
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • All aboard the Hyperfixation Express!
    • View Profile
It really depends on the situation

For some forms of media, 2D really does work out the best. I mean, look at Studio Ghibli for example. 2D is pretty much their bread and butter, and if you saw Earwig and the Witch, their first attempt at a CG movie...you'll know CG doesn't look all that great on them :GuidoAAAAAHHHHHH

However many movies work excellently in CG, playing with the artform a lot and showing it at some of its best. Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse being an EXCELLENT example. :)petrie

Still though, I wouldn't mind seeing a new big-budget 2D-animated movie reach theaters, if one of the big film companies decides to take the plunge there. :thinking
Current hyperfixation: Total Drama

Yacht life! :DD

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I was more of a 2D man myself till TMNT 2012, which has swayed me to the 3D side. I have enjoyed Studio Orange’s 3D elements in Trigun: Stampede and the Dragon Ball Super Movies, and I liked the 3D in Geneshaft.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith