The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Feast-Famine Response

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
New research in the science journal Cell indicates that in animal studies a period of extreme fasting for five days (which in humans would be 800-1100 calories a day) followed by 2-3 weeks of normal food consumption (2000+ calories) can trigger a feast-famine response in the body.  This response has been shown in previous studies to reduce some of the effects of aging, but new research now indicates it can force the pancreas to regenerate Beta Cells, which are the insulin-secreting cells in the pancreas.  

This means that this could potentially be used as a future treatment for Type 1 diabetes and some variants of Type 2 diabetes.  Though, obviously, how to get a diabetic individual to go on a fasting diet without having dangerous short-term consequences on blood sugar is a major concern.

The journal article detailing the new research can be found here: http://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(17)30130-7

There was also a human study on a much smaller scale that showed similar findings earlier this month:http://stm.sciencemag.org/content/9/377/eaai8700

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
This would be quite an incredible discovery if it could made to work. Diabetes is a nasty disease and it would be incredible if it could be eradicated. Surprising discoveries like these are the greatest hope we have to someday defeat most forms of cancer and horror stories like ALS.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
The way I eat I'm shocked I don't have that yet. Well they shouldn't starve themselves maybe eat less sugary fooos and drink tons of water.