The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

English exam

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well... I just heard I am going to get an english exam which will be extremely difficult. Of course this is 3 years ahead of me, and I shouldn't worry about it too much. But they warned me for one thing: a low vocabulary. We dutch people have got no problems with grammar, but we do seem to have problems with the words we can use.

For example, I would only use the word 'small' or 'little' but there are also 'tiny, minor' etc.(I didn't know them at first, but then they told me)

Who of the not native speakers has got a great vocabulary and how did you get it.. Maybe some of you could help me?

You can say 'you have still got 3 years no need to worry' but the earlier i am ready for it the better right? :DD

Edit: This is not a normal english exam which the most Dutch children will get. It will be much harder and if I pass I get a certificate which allows me to go to university everywhere in the world without any problems(if it comes to language).

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
English exams are not easy....even for us native speakers. :p The only way to get good at English is to read books (english in language of course).  Choose very tough books if you can.  Go with poetry.  May not be the most entertaining of books, but it will help you by using many difficult words in context.  You can then look them up to see what they mean.  I would recommend "the sage" english dictionary if you don't wanna pay for a paper English dictionary.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Alright, Thanks! I read harry potter and the deadly hallows in english in.. 2 days.. haha. But I will read more difficult books and when I do not get a word I will search it up.. Maybe that could be of use.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Hopefully there are some that you'll find interesting, fiction and non fiction.  That is a good idea on how to get better with your English, even native English folks would be helped with that.

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
From this moment onwards I shall endeavor to utilise the wierdest and most wonderful vocabulary I can reasonably achieve without coming across as some zealot of the English tongue.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Thanks Jamie.. But I thought you were already talking like that? (:lol). Anyways, you help me with talking that way only if you explain what a word is if I do not understand it.. haha

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com
i'm a master in english!(although i'm dutch not british or american -_- )

so eh... what you wanna know?

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Here's some tips from the CPE student! :P:

First things first: Pay attention in school, and ask your teachers!  :yes

Okay,

Talk, speak english whenever you can, as this will improve not just speaking but also, spelling, writing and yes, vocabulary.

Read. Yes, read books, fiction and alike. But the ult is to... read magazines.
Such as tablois, news magazines, magazines that's about something of your interesst.

And here's the absolute ult tip how to improve your vocabulary:

Buy, and read: OXFORD THESAURUS!!!

This is the ult source for idioms etc. If something should help you improve your english and get it broader, this is the thing.

I hope this help you out! It sure does for me!  :^.^:

Good luck!  :wave

/Lillefot

Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Thank you!:D I actually speak english to myself when I have the chance, I am so weird.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 10:04:17 AM by Mumbling »

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Trust in love, and never give up...
    • View Profile
Best wishes with that, Iris, even if it IS three years away...  Yeah, like landbeforetimelover said, English can even be tough for us English speakers.  Why, I've seen - and heard - quite a few words that I didn't understand, some even to this very day!
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

1953-2011...  One day, mother, I shall see you again...

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Malte wanted help with the same, and me and him would talk for hours online.  That helps too...just carry on conversations with native speakers.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ooooh!  English is my best subject :yes!  Here are a few pointers that helped me MASSIVELY improve in my writing skills:

*Read an English(American or British, depending on which you'll be tested on) dictionary, at least three pages a day.

*Invest in a thesaurus.  It will provide all synonyms and antonyms to every English word currently in a dictionary.  Of course, get the most updated versions of each(yeah, they've added "hottie" and "bootylicious" to the dictionary :lol).

*See if ya can find practice tests in a local library or online.

*Have an English expert proofread your current writing.

*Revise, revise, revise!

*View American and/or British films and audios, and pay special attention to the vocabulary used.

*Take the most advanced English courses your school will permit ya to take(it's usually based on your English placement testing scores, of which are administered when ya begin the ninth grade here).

*In three years from now, remain calm and be confident in your(by then) improved English skills.  As a friend once told me, DO NOT take yellowjackets(caffeine pills) the night before a test.  It will jack up your nerves and peace of mind :rolleyes:  :slap.  Get a good night's sleep, have some grub in the morning, arrive at the test site ten to fifteen minutes early, take a tinkle if needed, and wait outside of the room.  DO NOT SIT IN THE ROOM WITH OTHER TESTERS!  Their anxiety will rub off on ya(you're hearing this from someone with TERRIBLE test anxiety).  Most importantly, remain calm, take your time, and get the bad boy done and over with.

I hope this information helps ya out, Mumbling.  If ya need any help, let me know ;)!

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Trust in love, and never give up...
    • View Profile
Man, Cancerian Tiger, that is some seriously good advice!

...I can hardly remember ANY tests I did in school.  Most of my school memories are blacked out; probably because I hated schoolwork so much...  I only really wanted to hang out with my friends...  (But, I did graduate high school...)
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

1953-2011...  One day, mother, I shall see you again...

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Thank you all ! I actually have the highest level my school can give me. I'm on the VWO(which is the highest level, under this level there are HAVO and VMBO), and I am in a bilingual class which forces me to speak english in most of the lessons.

I thank you guys for your advice.