The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Geometric Ponderings

rhombus · 131 · 18045

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I have tried a few of the scenarios.  In particular, I rather enjoyed the "1066: Year of Viking Destiny" and the "Paradise Found" scenarios.  I typically spend most of my time on the game on random maps, however, as I enjoy the originality that comes with playing a totally new map.  No single game is exactly the same and I have to alter my strategy accordingly.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Since you asked me this I thought I should ask you the very same question as well :smile

Are there any other fandoms than TLBT you would write a fanfiction about? :)
Inactive, probably forever.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I have considered making a fanfiction set in the Raptor Red universe.  Besides that, I could consider making a few ficlets set in the Dune or Watership Down fandoms.  But Raptor Red would probably be the only fandom in which I could see myself write a full-length fanfiction.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Nahla

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I would say that my biggest goal in life at this point is to become a full professor.  I have found my work as an adjunct professor to be greatly rewarding in terms of the people that I have taught and mentored over the years.  However, my current position doesn't really pay me a living wage, nor does it allow enough savings to provide for affordable health coverage or possible retirement.  If I were able to obtain a full professorship then I would have not only the financial resources to make this profession a full career, but I would also have the academic freedom to modify my courses in such a way as to teach the courses in the manner that I deem most suitable.  So currently that is my most pressing goal in life, although as of late it seems more like a hopeless dream.

An alternate goal of mine would be for me to become a successful writer, as I have found the experience of writing creatively to be greatly rewarding and somewhat similar in some ways to my creative impulse in creating new lessons.  I particularly enjoy exploring how characters think, feel, and act in given situations and to relate their actions to deeper questions about what it means to be human.  This type of introverted emotional exploration, being turned externally onto other people, is something that I feel people do very rarely.  Even though the characters and the crises they face may not be real what they can say about our nature is all too real and that is something that I like to lay bare.  Aside from the creative and philosophical aspects, I have also found the experience of getting feedback from readers who enjoy my work to be greatly rewarding.  It is always nice to know that your work is being enjoyed.  I see this goal as a long shot at best, but nonetheless I think that I will try to write an original story (not fanfiction) of some kind in the not-so-distant future.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I see this goal as a long shot at best, but nonetheless I think that I will try to write an original story (not fanfiction) of some kind in the not-so-distant future.
GO for it, rhombus! I daresay that you have the necessary skills to become a book author :yes

What's your favourite genre of literature? (hope this question hasn't been asked already...)
Inactive, probably forever.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Thanks for the support, Ducky!  :)

I don't think that question has been asked yet.  In terms of fiction I am a fan of science fiction and fantasy novels, whereas for fiction I enjoy works on political science and the hard sciences.  I especially enjoy those fictional novels which have a non-human protagonist acting in a non-human way.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
About a month ago, you mentioned that you were playing Civilization V: Brave New World, the second expansion pack to Civ V. What are your thoughts on it, so far?

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I love the changes that this expansion made to the game.  The addition of trade routes (via actual caravans) is an excellent addition that is reminiscent of Civilization 2.  Likewise, the addition of archeologists and ruins is a very interesting addition.  However, one of the best additions in my opinion is the addition of the World Congress and ideologies.  That significantly shakes up the gameplay and encourages both diplomacy and espionage against your neighbors.  

I am certainly glad that I purchased the expansion.  :)

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Have you seen The LEGO Movie?

- Berix

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I saw the film with a few friends when it came out on DVD.  I found it to be a rather enjoyable film that had a plot that would be engaging to children, but that at the same time was enjoyable for adults as well.  It would certainly be a film that I would recommend to others.  :yes

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Having heard of all the Civ4 multiplayer games you've played with other GoF members (which, as much as I like the game itself, I'm unlikely to join anytime soon), I'm just curious: Which particular civilization (America, Rome, China, etc.) do you typically prefer to play as, and why?

- Berix

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I often play as a different civilization each time as this requires me to modify my strategy each game in order to accommodate the unique strengths and weaknesses of my civilization.  For single player games, however, I often play as Asoka (Indian Empire) as the lack of anarchy between civics changes and the fast workers allows me to greatly improve my rate of expansion early on in the game.

Midnight

• Freaking Rawr!
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://icedragonnet.blogspot.com.ar/
Have you ever played "Age of Mythology"? If so, do you consider it to be an improvement of the "Age of Empires" series or a step back? It certainly adds a lot of depth to the game, but it is also too different to the rest of the installments on the series.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I have not played Age of Mythology, though I have played Age of Empires 1-3 and enjoyed them immensely.  I still remember playing the first Age of Empires for hours straight when it first came out.  

What are your opinions on Age of Mythology?  Do you think that it would be a worthwhile addition to my game collection?

Midnight

• Freaking Rawr!
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://icedragonnet.blogspot.com.ar/
Uh, I would love to hear your opinion on the third one. I actually kind of disliked it when I first played it (though, the IA was great).

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The AI was indeed more competent in the third game, in my experience.  I also rather like the new game mechanics such as requesting resources from the homeland and the use of trading posts.  However, I was always more of a solo gamer with RTS games, and I can see how the third installment might be a let down in that regard.  I am not sure how well some of the game mechanics would translate in, say, a 5-way deathmatch between human players.

Overall, I would say that my favorite was the second game, though I have the fondest memories from the first game.  It was the game, along with Warcraft II and Civilization II, that got me into PC gaming.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Blows dust off of this topic

Bump  :p

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
Do you have a favourite non-LBT animated film?

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Do you have a favourite non-LBT animated film?

I have several animated films that I hold in high esteem.  If I had to pick one it would probably be the film adaptation of Watership Down (which is one of my favorite books), although The Lion King and Grave of the Fireflies are films that I consider among the best that I have seen.