The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Seven Hunters

rhombus · 408 · 52272

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Thank you very much for the review.  :)

I also liked the little information about how Chomper and Ruby met. I think your explanation is quite reasonable

Yeah, it was always an annoyance of mine that we never got to see in the television series exactly how Ruby and Chomper met and became friends.  I also wanted to convey the rather reasonable misgivings that Ruby's father would have to such a friendship.

What was most important in chapter 8 - aside from the fact that Spike now talks, a nice addition to his character in my opinion - was Littlefoot's "collapse". It is nice to see that he is not the untouchable longneck we get to see on screen.

That was definitely something that I wanted to resolve in this story.  The gang has been subjected to quite possibly the worst nightmare of a situation that can be imagined.  It follows that even their leader will begin to crumble under the strain.  :yes To use a TV tropes term, I needed to show his heroic BSOD moment.  

It's very plausible that Redclaw's aim is revenge... Oh, the fact that the Gang is the reason for his brother's death sure adds some pepper

Exactly.  :yes Although I have revised this chapter from my original plot synopsis: it is now his son that was killed and not his brother.  As you can imagine, this will lead to some... interesting consequences.

Thank you for the feedback, Ducky. :)  With the two snow days we have had in my area of the country, I have had time to catch up on my writing schedule.  The eleventh and twelfth chapters has caused me nothing but trouble while I was writing them :bang , but I think that I have finally gotten them the way that I want.  As a consequence I should have the next chapter posted sometime on Sunday.   :yes

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
How many have actually had those dreams? The plot thickens...

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: jansenov,Feb 7 2014 on  04:43 PM
How many have actually had those dreams?
Now that would be telling, wouldn't it?  ;)  

The plot thickens...

Yep, yep, yep!  :yes

I am currently making the final revisions to the next chapter.  I should have it posted by either late tonight or tomorrow.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Fanfiction link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9990125/11/The-Seven-Hunters

Chapter 10   The lost children

“At the temple there is a poem called "Loss" carved into the stone. It has three words, but the poet has scratched them out. You cannot read loss, only feel it.” ― Arthur Golden, Memoirs of a Geisha

"Come on, Chomper!"  Ruby pleaded mournfully.

She and the other fast biters had escaped through the cave and had exited the other side through the waterfall, only to discover that Chomper had not been able to keep up with them.  She and the others had begun to head back to the waterfall when Littlefoot stopped the group and told them to keep on moving.  He would go into the cave and make sure that Chomper had made it.  Thus began the anxious wait of the gang for any news, good or bad.

I should have followed behind him! Ruby berated herself.  Instead I ran without thinking about anything else.

Cera looked up at Ruby's pained expression.  She was not happy about the situation herself, but she could notice that the waiting was especially hard on the rose-colored fast biter.  She decided to offer some words of comfort.

"I am sure that Chomper is okay."  Cera began.  "He is slower than us now, but surely he could outrun our parents."

"This is all my fault."  Ruby stated.  "I should have trailed behind him and made sure that he made it!"

Cera frowned.  She was blaming herself for this mess.  She had to get her away from this line of thinking.

"You can't go around blaming yourself, Ruby.  We were all trying to get away from our folks."

Ruby looked down, but did not say anything.  The minutes of waiting dragged on with still no news from the young sharptooth.

Suddenly they heard splashing from the waterfall and could see the emergence of a brown fast biter's head.

Littlefoot is back!  Ruby thought with some excitement.  However, he stopped for a few moments and no purple sharptooth emerged from the watery stream.  Oh no, don't tell me that he didn't make it! Ruby thought with extreme concern.

Splash!

The young sharptooth suddenly emerged from the waterfall.  He had some difficulty in finding a good platform from which to jump into the stream below, but he had finally found one.  He prevented himself from falling face-first into the stream by using his tiny forelimbs to catch himself, and then he looked up at the gang.

He is alright!  Ruby thought with delight.  Then, without a moment's hesitation, she charged at the tardy sharptooth and embraced him.

"Your okay, Chomper!  Chomper, your okay!"  The fast biter exclaimed happily.

Chomper was surprised by the sudden physical contact, but did not struggle as he immediately recognized his assailant.  He giggled a bit in relief at the calamity that he had just escaped from.

"Yes, Ruby I am fine!"  Chomper replied happily.  "It was close though.  Mr. Threehorn almost got me!"

Cera recoiled slightly at Chomper's words and looked down sadly.

My daddy probably thinks that I am dead right now and the Chomper was the cause. She reflected sadly.  If only we had been able to leave undetected. She lamented. I'm so sorry, daddy.  We should have listened to our parents.  We should have left the stone alone.

Littlefoot did not see Cera's sudden change in demeanor, but instead was focused on the happy reunion of Ruby and Chomper.  He was glad that the little biter had made it through all of this safely.  He considered him almost like a little brother, and now that he was a fast biter that description seemed even more apt.  He still had so many things that he needed to talk to Chomper about, from the horrific dreams that came before, to the ramifications of their change, and many other subjects.  But for now, he was simply glad that Chomper was back with them, safe and sound.

"I guess that we need to get going now."  Littlefoot said with restrained emotion.  He was happy that Chomper had made it through their ordeal, but now they had to get going.  "The adults might still go after us.  We need to get away from the valley quickly."  He finished with assertiveness.

Ruby ended her embrace of Chomper, but continued to look upon him with a joyous expression for some moments.  She eventually turned towards the others when she fully processed what Littlefoot had just said.

"I do not want to be chased by my mommy again.  Oh, no, no, no!"  Ducky said.  

"She was so angry and so sad."  Spike added with obvious emotion.  "I never wanted to see her like that."

The others looked at the former hadrosaur and stegosaurus with sad expressions.  Not only had they all had to deal with potentially leaving the Great Valley for the last time, but they also had to go through the trauma of having their own parents chase after them with murderous intent.  It was a horrific situation for everyone involved.

"I don't know what my dad will do now."  Cera looked up sadly.  "He thinks that he has lost me.  He only has Tria and Tricia now."

"My grandparents lost their daughter to sharpteeth and now they probably think that I am gone too."  Littlefoot added.

"They all think that I betrayed them."  Chomper stated.  "But I would never do that!  I wish that I could explain that to them.  I wish there was a way..."  The young sharptooth trailed off.  He had tried to convince everyone that he was a nice sharptooth and it had taken seasons for his reputation as a good kid to be established.  Now all of that was in ruins.  But, to a much greater extent than his self-pity, he felt great sadness for the adults.  He couldn't begin to imagine the amount of pain that being betrayed by someone you trusted would cause.  Especially if you thought that the children you loved were now gone forever...

Petrie finally broke through the melancholy that had descended upon the group.

"What do we do now, Littlefoot?"  He asked.  "We can't go back."

The other dinosaurs were brought back into the present with Petrie's question.  They couldn't change the past, but they could determine their own futures.  Now they had to focus on the reality that faced them.

"We need to go to Hanging Rock, just like we decided."  Littlefoot stated.  "Maybe Ruby's parents could help us?"

Ruby looked at Littlefoot with a concerned expression as he gave his answer.  There was an important consideration that he was not aware of.

"But we took the wrong pass, Littlefoot!"  Ruby exclaimed.  "It will take us many days to reach Hanging Rock now."

Littlefoot looked surprised at this revelation.

"Many days?  I thought it was only a one day journey.  That is how long it took us the last time we went there."

Ruby frowned at Littlefoot's incomprehension.

"We took the north pass back then, Littlefoot."  Ruby explained.  "It led straight to Hanging Rock.  This path does not."

Littlefoot now looked concerned at this new information.  How would they be able to survive on a multi-day journey?  Before, they could have eaten the various plants that they could find, but now...

Chomper finally broke the silence.

"We can't go back into the valley and take the right path."  He exclaimed in a near panic.

Littlefoot agreed with a nod.  "No, we can't do that.  It is far too dangerous."

Silence fell upon the group again.

"We will become hungry during that time."  Chomper stated matter-of-factly.  "And since all of you can't eat plants now..."  He trailed off for am moment as he thought about a way to put it tactfully.  "You will need to find meat."  He finally concluded.

Littlefoot had already thought about this possibility moments earlier and as a result he did not recoil at Chomper putting his thoughts out there for the others to hear.  Many of the others had not considered the possibility like Littlefoot had and as a result they had a less receptive reaction.

"I will not eat others!  Oh no, no, no!  I do not care.  Even if I starve."  Ducky stated with assertiveness.  Spike nodded in agreement.  He did not feel the need to add any words from his new-found ability to speak.  Ducky had summed up his opinion on the matter quite nicely.

Cera frowned and struck a more hopeful note.

"Well, perhaps we will get this reversed later.  We do not need to start... doing that."  She asserted.

Littlefoot frowned in concentration.  "I don't think Chomper is suggesting that we... um... hunt."  He said uncertainly.  "But we will need to eat during our journey.  Maybe we can find enough buzzers to keep us fed?"  He asked hopefully.

Ruby looked at Littlefoot, but then began to shake her head sadly.  "I don't think that we will find enough food.  Enough food we will find."  She cautioned.  "This part of the mysterious beyond is barren.  There is not much food here."

"Well then we will just have to go hungry for awhile, won't we?"  Cera stated with some annoyance.  Why were they insinuating that they would have to hunt?  Surely the gang would not descend to that level of barbarity?  They may have had the bodies of sharpteeth, but that did not mean that they had to start acting like it.  These were some of the thoughts rushing through the former threehorn's head.

"Um... guys?"  Chomper asked uncertainly.  He didn't quite know how to put what he was able to say into words that wouldn't scare the others.  "When sharpteeth become hungry, they can become... unpleasant."  

"Yeah.  Like they are pleasant when they aren't hungry!"  Cera interrupted in a mocking manner.

Chomper frowned at her response.  "This is important!"  He replied in annoyance.  "When they become hungry they can begin to lose control.  They can become violent."  He continued.  "We will need to eat!  We can't let that happen to us!"

"I think that we have enough self-control, Chomper."  Cera replied.  "Not all of us begin to bite other people's tails when we begin to get hungry."  She finished, with a dig at the time that he bit her tail when he was still a baby.  

"It was an accident..."  Chomper began to reply at her insinuation.

"Guys, calm down."  Littlefoot replied in agitation.  "We can discuss this more in the morning."

Ducky then yawned, which Littlefoot noticed immediately.

"Right now we need to get some distance between us and the valley."  Littlefoot continued as he looked back to the entrance of his former home.  "Then we need to get some rest."

"Fine!  But if you think I am going to start munching on others, you have another thing coming."  Cera spoke in Chomper's direction.

Chomper looked in the former threehorn's direction, with a somewhat dejected look upon his face.  How was he going to explain to his friends that they had no choice in the manner anymore?  They would eventually either have to eat meat or starve.  

He looked in Ruby's direction, who gave him a knowing look.  She was an omnivore and did not share the same level of revulsion at the idea as the others.  She knew all too well what hunger could do to people and that frightened her deeply.  She was concerned about the food situation as well, although she kept her thoughts to herself for the moment.

"Let's get moving."  Littlefoot commanded with obvious annoyance in his voice.

The gang then continued their journey away from the valley.

Oh, Petrie!  Please tell me that you have made it!

Volant was flying high above the valley in a desperate attempt to find any sign of the younglings.  The darkness of the night made her scouting attempts all the more hopeless, despite the light of the night circle.  

She had awoken earlier that night to the alarm call...

Earlier that night:

Volant was having the most horrific nightmare.  She had just seen Petrie be chased by sharptooth flyers into a cave.  He had just encountered Chomper and a bunch of fast biters when an unexpected noise interrupted her slumber.

Caw!  Caw!  Caw!

She awoke with a start.

She immediately looked about her.  Nothing appeared to be out of the ordinary in the nest from her vantage point.  Her children were awake at the sudden sound and appeared to be as startled as she was.

An alarm call at this time of night?  She thought to herself,  This must be serious!

"Stay calm, children!  Stay at the nest."  She stated authoritatively.  "I need to see what is going on."

Before leaving she took a brief headcount to make sure that everyone was accounted for.  One... Two... Three...  Occasionally flyer children would leave the nest to relive themselves so she wanted to make sure they were at the safety of the nest.  Four... Five... Six... Also there was Petrie, who would often go off on adventures with his friends, so she definitely had to make sure that he was accounted for.  Seven... Eight... Nine...

Only Nine?!

"Petrie!"

Moments later:

She had arrived at the usual meeting place only to find it empty.  She then began a long flight across the valley in order to find anyone who could tell her what was going on.  She eventually found the other residents of the valley congregated at the northeastern pass.  She flew down cautiously beside Grandma and Grandpa Longneck.  

Surely they could tell me what is going on. She thought to herself.

However, it was then that she took a closer look at the two giant longnecks.  Grandma longneck was resting her neck upon her mate's and was utterly lost in grief, whereas the male looked on in a state of shock.  The two had obviously just suffered a great loss.  It did not take a genius to figure out what that meant.  Littlefoot had gotten out of hard spots before and consequently the two had never lost hope even when he sought out incredibly dangerous situations.  To have them react like this...  It appeared that the little longneck's luck had finally run out.  What did this mean for Petrie?  She was afraid to ask, but she knew that she must.

"Mr. Longneck?"  Volant asked in a soft voice.

At first she was uncertain if the two great dinosaurs had heard her query, but then the massive head of Grandpa Longneck turned ever so slightly in her direction.  The two longnecks shared a knowing look.  After a few moments, which seemed like an eternity to the concerned flyer, Grandma Longneck removed her neck from her mate's.  The look that she gave Volant frightened her more than anything that she had ever seen.  It was a look of understanding and compassion.  Why would she be giving her that look when she was the one who obviously had just suffered a great loss, unless...  No...

"Mrs. Flyer...  Volant..."  The longneck began.  "Chomper betrayed us."  The words were spit out as if they were bitter leaves.  She had never heard hatred in Grandpa Longneck's voice and she hoped never to hear it again.  "He let fast biters into the valley..."  

Volant could feel extreme agitation at his words.  If Chomper betrayed them and let other sharpteeth into the valley, then what could this mean for the children?

"We chased them out..."  He continued, but then he choked back a sob.  "But there is no sign of the children."  He looked at her with a compassionate look that only partially masked his own pain.

Volant collapsed to the ground.  How could this happen?  She had feared Petrie gone back during the great earthshake, but he had miraculous found the valley with his friends.  Ever since then, he had constantly found trouble but had managed to elude death at every turn.  Was this the end?  What would she tell his siblings?  But wait...

"So... There have been no signs of their..."  She almost couldn't choke out the words.  "bodies?"

The longnecks looked at her with a taken back expression, but simply shook their heads.

"Then, there is a possibility, right?"  Volant said as she began to set up again.  "There is a chance that they could have escaped?  Somehow?"

The male longneck looked upon her with sadness.  He could not discount the ever so slight possibility, but he knew that it was over at this point.  All of the signs, from their betrayal by Chomper, the absence of their children, and the entry and escape of the fast biters all pointed to one outcome.  He did not hold out hope for another miraculous rescue.  He knew that his grandson was gone.

Nonetheless, Volant took off to the skies.  She had to try to find the children.  She owed it to them.  She owed it to Petrie.

Back to the Present:

But now the truth was dawning on the flyer.  There was no sign of the children anywhere in the valley.  She would not find Petrie on this night, nor any other night.  He had met his doom with his other friends.

"At least he didn't die alone!"  She sobbed into the night.  "At least he was shown that small kindness."

She then flew down and landed on her nest with a soft thud.

She could hear the soft padding of flyer feet on the rocky ledge she considered home.  However, she did not dare look up.  She had no idea how she was going to break the news to the other children.  How was she supposed to tell them that their brother Petrie was never coming back... and that Chomper was the cause?  The situation was almost too horrific to imagine.

"Mommy?"  It was Pterana, one of Petrie's sisters.  "What's wrong?"

Volant looked up in sadness at her nine remaining children.  She knew that she had to give them an answer, even if that would break their hearts.

"Children..."  She choked in sadness.  "Petrie...  Petrie is gone!"

From a distance, all that an observer could have heard emerging from the flyer nest was the mournful cries of a family that had just experienced the most painful of losses.  They would be haunted for quite some time by the memory of a brother who would never fly back to the nest.  The memory of a flyer that flew away and never returned.

As the flyers were mourning their lost brother, Mr. Threehorn was heading back to his nest for one of the most painful conversations he would ever have to make.  The entire situation brought back unpleasant memories from many years ago...

Six Years Ago in the Mysterious Beyond:

He couldn't believe the imprudence of that longneck.  Join together as one herd?  Ha!  How dare he suggest such a thing?  Everyone knew that each herd stuck to its own kind.  Each kind had its own ways of dealing with things and each had their own strengths and weaknesses.  To place all of them together would only spell trouble.  Besides, the threehorns were the best and brightest of them all, and to invite others along would simply slow the threehorns down.

Additionally, agreeing would threaten my leadership of the herd. A more pragmatic part of his mind added.  Changes embolden the young to challenge the old. And heavens know I am getting older.  His mind added.

But of course he couldn't voice his actual reasons for rejecting the offer from the longnecks, flyers, and swimmers.  For one, he wouldn't dare admit that he had done something out of weakness.  But more importantly, a leader never voices his personal misgivings in threehorn society.  As a leader, he had to be the face of assertiveness and be the dinosaur that always had a plan.  That was what his father taught him in the hopes that he would rise above his father's status as a deputy, and that was what eventually allowed him to achieve that dream.  He wouldn't dream of abandoning his words of wisdom now.

Nonetheless, part of him wished them well.  He had to admit that those three herds sticking together was probably their best hope at this point.  Although he wondered how they would get along without a single leader...

Well, whoever said that swimmers or flyers had any sense anyway!  He thought sarcastically.

He looked around him at the gorge that his herd now found itself in.  He noted that it was utterly devoid of vegetation, but there was a small stream with water.  Well, it looks like this place has water anyway.  I suppose that this would be as good of a place to rest as any. He thought to himself.

"Alright!"  He commanded authoritatively.  "We stop here for the night.  See to it that the children get water first.  The others can drink their fill afterwards."  

He would, of course, drink last.  He could very well have had the first sip of water, but that would go against everything that he thought about leadership.  He always believed that if he were to ask his subjects to face adversity then he should do the same.  He then stepped up in front of the herd and bellowed:

"Deputies!"  

Four sturdy young threehorns stepped in front of their leader.  Many of the older members of the herd had died in their three seasons of journeying, including his father.  Now it was just him and these four ambitious adolescents in the leadership of the herd.  He noted that these four would have been considered emaciated during times of plenty, but in these hard times they were the hardiest of the bunch.  I wonder how I look to the others.  He thought to himself.  I have not eaten any better than the others in this journey. He then put his thoughts aside for a moment and addressed the four.

"Watch the other side of the gorge.  Make sure that our children are safe while they drink."  He commanded.  "You may drink second, after they have had their fill."  He quickly added.  He needed to placate the most ambitious of the herd in order to keep challenges at bay.  He was not in danger of a serious challenge, but the deputies might very well fight amongst themselves at the slightest provocation.  The behavioral changes that came with the Time of Great Growing were a formidable thing indeed.  A dominance fight in good times was a dangerous proposition as it was, but to have one out here away from food, water, and healing plants...  Well, that would be a good way to lose some of his most valuable herd members, and he had to avoid that at all costs.

As the deputies fanned out around the stream, he watched the children walk over and begin eagerly drinking the precious water.  He was stabbed with sudden pain as he thought back to his daughter, their sister, Cera.  She was always so bold, so brave.  She was a lot like him when he was her age, he reflected.  But now she was gone...  Just like many others in the herd.  He was only able to claim leadership over twenty herd members after their previous leader fell, but the herd had initially set off with over sixty.  He couldn't give in to despair, as he had to lead the others to the Great Valley.  He owed it to all of them.  He owed it to the memory of Cera.

"You are thinking about her, aren't you?"  Came a soft voice from beside him.

He looked over at the lovely sight of his mate, the mother of his four children.  He smiled at her.  He may have to put on a tough face for the others, but he knew not to bother when it came to her.

"Yeah..."  He affirmed.

"I am sure that she would be happy that we are still going to the valley."  She affirmed.  "She loved her sisters very much and would want the best for them."

"And they aren't going to find the best in this gorge."  He added sardonically.

"I am sure that we will find it one day, dear."  She added softly.  "You have never led us astray."

She always knows the right thing to say at the right moment. He reflected.  I wonder what the herd would think if they knew I got most of my confidence from her.

The two nuzzled for a moment, each being grateful for the momentary respite.

"Sharpteeth!"  The panicked yell of a young threehorn echoed across the gorge.

He looked over in the direction of the panicked yell, to see a large fast biter advance towards the herd from the direction they had originally came.  It seemed to be moving intentionally slow, but he did not waste much time considering why that may be the case.

"Quick dear!  Watch the kids!"  He called to his mate, as he took on a defensive stance.

"Defensive positions!  Block the gorge!  Do not let it near the children!"  He yelled at the herd

He and most of the other adults formed a defensive line around the entrance into the gorge.  If the fast biter wanted to enter into their territory then it would have to scale a wall of horns.

"Get lost!  You coward!"  Mr. Threehorn yelled at the fast biter.

But the fast biter did not move.  Instead it seemed to simply be looking from side to side, as if it were sizing up the herd.  Mr. Threehorn had seen nothing like this and he had seen some rather weird things in the wasteland that was the mysterious beyond.  That was when the fast biter did something that was even more unexpected.

Click!  Click!  Click!  Hiss!

The fast biter emitted a series of clicks and hisses.  If sharpteeth were capable of communication, he might have thought that it were speaking to someone else, but Mr. Threehorn knew that sharpteeth were too stupid for anything like that.  What is this fast biter up to? He thought to himself.

He then noticed that three of the deputies that he had commanded to watch the children were now part of the defensive line.  Why weren't they with the children?

"Why are you three not watching the children?"  He demanded.

The largest of the three responded.  "You called everyone up here!"

"I didn't mean you three!"  He replied, noting that this situation represented an error on his part.  "Go back and watch the kids!"

Suddenly, however, the situation took a turn for the worse.

"Help!"  He paled when he heard the panicked scream of his mate. I am coming dear!  Hang on!

"You!"  He yelled at the eldest deputy.  "Lead the line!"  At his concerned nod, he looked at the other two.  "You two, with me!"  

The three then began to sprint into the gorge in order to help his mate and the children.  However, the sight that greeted them when they reached the stream filled them with grief and disgust.

They could see the disemboweled form of a young male threehorn.  It was the youngest of the four deputies.  Apparently staying behind when the others left was a fatal decision for the poor threehorn.  

As, he continued to look at the scene, however, an even more disturbing sight left him seeing red.  He saw a bloody mass in the distance, well behind the slaughtered deputy.  He could see a fast biter drag off the bloody torso of a young threehorn into a cave in the rock face of the gorge.  Pounce!  No!  He thought in anguish as it was obvious that his daughter was dead.

He looked around in a panicked state.  Where are the other children! But there was nothing to be seen in the immediate area besides blood and gore from the massacred child.  That was when he heard the sound of groaning coming from behind a bend in the gorge.

"Hang on!  We're coming!"  He yelled at the unknown party.  He had never run so fast in his life.  Was it coming from his mate?  Or one of his children?  Either way, he had to help them.  He had already failed so many today.  

He ran around the bend in the gorge in the direction of the sound and found a terrible sight.

"Dear!"  He roared in concern and grief.

She was lying on her side.  A large pool of blood had begun to accumulate beside her neck.  As he advanced towards her, he could see that she had large lacerations on her throat as blood flowed steadily from her wounds.  He looked into her eyes with a mournful expression on his face, as he knew that these wounds were mortal.  He was about to lose his mate.

She gave him a mournful look and spoke in a barely audible voice.

"I... couldn't save the kids..."

His view of her was getting hazy.  That was when he realized that he was crying, as he couldn't take his eyes off of her face.

"At least... We will be with Cera now... She won't be alone."

He broke down at these words and nuzzled her gently.  He decided to make his final words to her count.

"I am sorry... I failed you... I can't go on without you or the girls."

She coughed, sending a torrent of blood out of her mouth.  She knew she only had moments left.  She couldn't save herself, or her kids, but she could ensure that Topps would go on.  She wouldn't let him throw his life away due to grief.  She resolved to save him from himself with all of her remaining strength.

"Promise me... You will not give up."  She demanded.

"But, without you nothing matters."  He spoke in his despair.

"Life always matters."  She said as her voice began to fail her.  "Protect the herd and live a good life, Topps.  Promise me that."

He looked upon her with sadness and some degree of incomprehension.  He knew that he would never be happy again with her out of his life.  He had failed to protect his children and now he had failed his mate as well.  But he would keep this final promise, he resolved, he at the very least owed his mate that.

"I promise."  He replied softly.

She gave her beloved mate a sad smile as she took a final, shuddering breath.

Silence then fell upon the scene.  After a few moments the horrifying realization came to the threehorn.  She was gone forever.

He did not know how long he lay there, crying and nuzzling his dead mate's body.  But after quite some time he heard someone clear their throat behind him.  Topps slowly turned and looked in the direction of the stranger.

It was the eldest of the three deputies.  "We killed one of the fest biters, sir."  He spoke with some hesitation.  "But the others appear to have gotten away.  The herd is safe again."

Topps looked back at his dead mate for several moments, and he could hear the deputy begin to walk away.  He decided that it was time for him to keep his promise to his mate and to be a leader again.  He would swallow his pride and do what was necessary for its survival.  No matter how distasteful or threatening that may be.

"We leave the gorge tomorrow."  He stated assertively.  His tone of voice even surprised him as he did not think that he had anything left.  "We need to catch up with that mixed herd."

The deputy looked at him with a perplexed expression, but did not object.  Instead he simply asked a question.

"Yes, sir.  What will we do then?"

Topps looked at the deputy with an unreadable expression.

"The herd must survive at all costs."  He spoke with resolve.  "If we go it alone then how many of us will be left in the end?  Ten?  Five?  None?"  He questioned.  "We need to join with the others because there is safety in large numbers.  And large numbers we no longer have."  As he said the last sentence he looked back towards his dead mate. The deputy took the hint and decided to give the grieving threehorn some privacy.  

"I will do as you asked, dear."  He spoke softly to her.  "No matter the cost, I will keep my promise."

He rose from his prone position.

"Goodbye, my love."

With a heavy heart, he turned around and returned to the herd that he had promised to save.

Back to the Present:

As he shook those memories from his mind, he reflected on final words of his first mate.  He supposed that his first family really was together now in the Great Beyond.  At least they wouldn't be alone, like he was.

He then looked up at the threehorn sleeping area.  It was within sight now, which meant that he would soon have to break the news to his family.  I guess that I am not alone after all. He reflected. But this is going to hurt them deeply.  It has already destroyed me.

Tria ran up to meet Topps as he advanced towards the nest.  She had a frightened look on her face.

"Goodness, Topsy!  Your horn!"  She had noticed his broken horn.  "Are you alright?"

He didn't reply but instead looked up at his mate with a sad expression.

"Dear?"  She asked.  Concerned at his lack of response.

"Tria...  I have some very bad news."

As Littlefoot's grandparents began to head back towards their nesting area, still mourning their incalculable loss, their heard the mournful wail of a threehorn.  It seemed that Tria had finally discovered the fate of her beloved step-daughter.  The two longnecks nuzzled one another in their grief.  

The residents of the valley all knew that changes would have to come in the morning in order to confront the new threat that faced the valley.  The threat from Chomper and his fast biter minions.  But for now they had a moment to take stock of what they had lost.  As the waning hours of night began to wind down, the valley was immersed in grief.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Oh dear. Everybody's life is ruined here. I wonder how you, as a writer, avoid emotional exhaustion writing this. Because I would need a day to recover. I like your portrayal of the soft, rational sides of Cera and Toppsy. Also, gruesome detail of exposing the fatal weakness of the rigid threehorn hierarchy.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Oh dear. Everybody's life is ruined here. I wonder how you, as a writer, avoid emotional exhaustion writing this. Because I would need a day to recover.

I have found that in writing the most recent chapters that I have broken up my writing into several sittings, so that I have time to process one scene before writing the next one.  For me to write this realistically (in terms of characterization) I need to adequately portray the heartbreak and distress that everyone is going through, but at the same time I don't want to overdo it and oversaturate the story with a parade of depressing scenes.  Now that the emotional turmoil of the characters has been firmly established in the narrative, the plot of the story will take over once more as a guiding force in the next several chapters.  :yes

I like your portrayal of the soft, rational sides of Cera and Toppsy. Also, gruesome detail of exposing the fatal weakness of the rigid threehorn hierarchy.

Thanks.  :)  The interactions between the threehorns is something that I wanted to highlight in this chapter.  With their need to stick together for herd defense and fixation on strength for dominance, the temperament of Topps and Cera become easier to understand.  I wanted to show that he had a good reason to develop the tough exterior that he has displayed throughout the series.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Is it just me or are the chapters becoming... longer? :lol

I don't really know what to write... The chapter was very, very good. Very depressive but good. jansenov pointed the most important aspects out already...
Inactive, probably forever.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Thanks for the kind words.  :)

Is it just me or are the chapters becoming... longer?  :lol

Indeed they are.  :yes  The two most recent chapters I have written (but have yet to post) have exceeded 6000 and 9000 words, respectively.  There is going to be a lot going on plot-wise in the next few installments.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Fanfiction.net link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9990125/12/The-Seven-Hunters

Chapter 11     An old threat returns

“When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.” ― Herman Wouk

Littlefoot groaned as the first rays of sunlight fell upon his face.

He began to shift from his prone position.  Why do I feel so sore and tired?  The little fast biter thought with some confusion.  It is almost as if I fell on... Whoa!

He caught himself just as he was about to fall over.  He had attempted to get up as a longneck would, placing his weight upon all four limbs at the same time.  Of course, such a technique no longer suited his new body.  With a sudden realization, he remembered the events of the previous night.

Right.  He thought morosely.  We are sharpteeth now and we are on the run.

He sighed as the refuge of sleep had just evaporated into the harsh reality that they now faced.  They didn't have the luxury of sleeping in anymore.  They would have to resume their journey in earnest.

He then carefully used his forelimbs to bring himself into the appropriate position and placed all of his weight onto his hind limbs.  It almost disturbed him that he was getting accustomed to his new walking stance.  When they were chased by the adults, the entire gang had run on instinct despite previously having great difficulty walking.  It seems that their sudden escape had awakened something within each of the dinosaurs and they had few walking difficulties thereafter.  This opened up several concerned thoughts within the former longneck.  What other things could be changing within their uncertain minds?  How far would these changes go?  If they began to lose themselves to the changes then how would they even know?

He shook his head.  Nothing could be done about any of that at the moment.  He needed to wake the others so that they could continue their journey.  It was far too dangerous to linger in the open.

He went up to Cera first and carefully touched her crest with his forelimb.  He was careful to keep his distance because he remembered how she often reacted to sudden awakenings when she was a threehorn.

A sudden swipe of yellowish claws went by where Littlefoot was an instant before.

Yikes!  Well, at least that hasn't changed. Littlefoot thought with a sardonic smile.

"What is it?!"  She hissed.  "I was having a pleasant... Oh."

She stopped as she remembered everything.  The silence dragged on for several moments, which concerned Littlefoot.  He knew that the former threehorn was very prideful and would hide any weakness, but he wanted to make sure she was alright.

"Cera.  Are you alright?"  Littlefoot asked softly.

"Are you?"  She asked pointedly.

Littlefoot closed his eyes for a moment, before again opening them and responding truthfully.

"No."  He said with a sigh.  "I don't guess any of us are."  He answered.

She still didn't face him, but she did give a slight nod as she slowly rose from her resting position.

"I am up.  Go get the others."  She responded gruffly.  

Littlefoot was not quite satisfied with her response, but hid his misgivings.  She was loath to show any weakness or uncertainty and it was obvious that their transformation had not changed that.  He knew better than to pry when she was not open to it, but he nonetheless had to acknowledge his support.

"Alright.  Just remember that we are all together in this."

There was a slight nod from the yellowish fast biter.  Normally Littlefoot would expect a sarcastic retort or an annoyed reply, but her subdued response highlighted to him how much of a toll the situation had taken on the former threehorn.  She was as shattered by the situation as any of them, but at least she acknowledged that she had the others.  Nonetheless, he was troubled by her reaction.

Sighing, Littlefoot then went over to wake the others.  Ruby had awakened with a yelp of surprise, which woke up Chomper and Petrie.  This startled response only lasted a few moments, as they soon remembered their predicament and went into what was now a familiar sense of melancholy.  This only left Spike and Ducky.

"Don't bother.  I am awake."  Came a gruff response from Spike.  Littlefoot stopped for a moment.  Even though Spike had finally gotten the ability to talk during the previous night, it still filled him with surprise when the green fast biter uttered words.  He still spoke sparingly, but when he did speak it usually was of some significance.  

Well, that just leaves Ducky. Littlefoot thought to himself.

Littlefoot was about to wake Ducky when Spike waved him off with his forelimb, he would attend to this himself.  He was somewhat surprised by Spike's insistence, but decided that it was probably for the best.  Of all of the gang, Ducky had taken to the changes the hardest.  Not that any of them had particularly adapted to the changes well.  She was always the sweet, caring one, who was able to find the good within everyone.  For her to become a sharptooth was horrifying on so many levels.  Yes.  Littlefoot thought to himself.  Her brother should handle this.

Spike arose and gently tapped on the former swimmer.

"Ducky?  It is time to get up."  He softly spoke to the sleeping fast biter.

She stirred in her slumber and mumbled a few incomprehensible mutterings before finally saying something coherent.

"Let me sleep some more mommy..."  

Ducky then stopped and opened her eyes at the realization of what she has just said.  The first form that she was able to recognize was the dark green coloration of a fast biter. Spike. The former hadrosaur registered in her head.  So it was all real. She concluded with a resigned expression.  

She then turned and saw the others.  A lean, brown fast biter stared at her with a concerned expression.  His posture and bearing communicated both leadership and confusion.  This made for a rather disturbing mixture.  There is Littlefoot.   She concluded.  She then saw the others.  Chomper was a point of continuity, as he was his same old self.  Ruby looked almost furtive despite her noticeable rose-colored feathers.  Cera was looking at something in the distance, obviously hiding inner agitation despite her cold exterior.  Her green eyes couldn't hide the turmoil deep within.  Both Petrie and Spike looked at Ducky with apprehensive expressions.  They both were obviously worried about her well-being.

"I am up, Spike."  She replied softly.  Her eyes were moist with unshed tears, although she tried to put on a brave face.  Spike was not buying her act and placed a comforting forelimb on the green fast biter's back.  This was the act which caused the entire faÁade to fade away as Ducky began to softly cry.  Spike did not attempt to speak to her, but rather kept his body close to hers.  He knew that words were irrelevant at this point as they could not express what they all felt.  He would simply be here to comfort his sister.  That was the least that he could do.

After a few moments the sobbing died down and the members of the gang were all interrupted by a clearing throat.  It was Littlefoot.

"Okay, guys.  We need to get going now.  We have no idea where Red Claw or our folks are, but I don't want to meet up with any of them."  He stated bluntly.  He then looked in Ruby's direction.  "Where are we supposed to go now?"

Ruby looked up at Littlefoot and responded after a momentary pause.  "We need to follow the gorge and go towards the rising bright circle until we reach the river.  Then we follow the river until it forks."  She replied stoically.  "If we are quick, we might be able to reach the river by nightfall."

"Then does the river take us to Hanging Rock?"  Cera asked impatiently.  She did not like the way in which Ruby was describing the journey.  She was already sore, tired, and hungry.  She did not need to hear that they had an epic journey ahead of them.

Ruby frowned for a moment before responding.  "No.  If the river led to Hanging Rock then the journey would be much shorter."  She replied gravely.  "After the river turns away from the rising bright circle then we will need to keep following the gorge until we get there."  She added reluctantly.  "We will need to travel for about seven days."

"Seven days!"  Cera and several of the others replied in unison.

"Yes."  Ruby replied sadly.  "There is no other way now.  If there was another way then I would tell you the other way."

Littlefoot sighed but nodded nonetheless.  He realized that Ruby's characterization of the journey was no different than what she mentioned the previous night.  Only now they had a far better idea of what faced them.

"Well, I guess that we have no choice."  Littlefoot affirmed.  "Let's head towards the river."

The gang then began to get moving, with Littlefoot and Cera taking the lead and the other five falling back in a steady pace.  Their journey to Hanging Rock had resumed.

"They killed my daughter!"  Came the roaring voice of Mr. Threehorn.

The meeting had started only shortly after dawn and the entire valley was present.  Well, almost the entire valley.  Tria and Ura were too grief-stricken to participate and instead were appointed by the threehorn to watch the children.  Despite the horrific memories of the previous night, they welcomed this solemn duty.  They had failed to protect Cera and Ducky, respectively, but perhaps they could protect and comfort the remaining children.  Neither of them doubted that would be what their daughters would have wanted them to do.

Also absent were about half of the valley's threehorns and domeheads.  Mr. Threehorn had asked for volunteers to guard the valley's entrances and other weaknesses.  The response was overwhelming.  It seemed that everyone felt some responsibility for the previous night's attack and wanted to do their part to prevent further outrages.

This left the remaining adults of the valley to discuss the situation during that morning's meeting.  It was one of the gravest meetings that the valley had ever convened.  They had evacuated in the past and had even presiding over banishments and more grave punishments, but never before had so many been slaughtered since their entry into the valley so long ago.  It awakened horrible latent memories in many of those who attended.  Mr. Threehorn and the longnecks were but a few who were again haunted by the horrific visions of the past.

"Littlefoot hasn't been found either."  Grandpa longneck noted in extreme sadness.  "We can only assume that he met his end with his friends."  As he finished this statement, Grandma leaned upon his neck and began to sob heavily.  They had not had nearly enough time to come to terms with their loss, but yet here they were deciding upon the valley's defenses.

A clubtail was the next to speak.  "We told you all that letting that sharptooth into the valley was a foolish idea.  Now look!  Six children are dead and the traitor knows many of our weaknesses!"  As he spoke these words he glared at the longnecks, flyers, and swimmers who were the most amicable to the idea of letting Chomper into the valley.

Silence filled the meeting place.  The spiketail had broached a subject that had simmered under the surface ever since the meeting began.  Many of the parents who lost children, Mr. Threehorn exempted, had eventually approved Chomper's entry into the valley six seasons previously.  Mentioning this fact not only implied that these adults had jeopardized the safety of the valley, but also were responsible for the deaths of their children.  Such a veiled accusation would not be received well.

"Now listen here, Kosh."  Grandpa Longneck replied through gritted teeth.  "That was a decision made by the entire valley and the entire valley has paid for it."  His voice then began to crack.  "Do you honestly think that I don't realize that my vote has led my grandson's demise?  Do you honestly think that anyone here who voted to let Chomper in isn't torn up over his betrayal?!"  His last statement was nearly roared out, which left many of the other adults in shock.  Such an outburst would not be unexpected from Mr. Threehorn but was unheard of from Grandpa Longneck.

"Dear..."  Grandma Longneck replied weakly.  She was tired of arguing and simply wanted some time to mourn Littlefoot.  She didn't want to see her mate go from despair into rage.  That wouldn't be what Littlefoot would have wanted.

Surprisingly, Mr. Threehorn was the one who took on the responsibility to be the voice of reason.

"We can't change the past."  He spoke resignedly.  "We have to move on and think about what to do now."  He looked away from the other adults for a moment.  "That is what Cera would have wanted us to do.  That is what all of our children would have wanted."  He finished his statement while looking down in grief.

Silence permeated through the meeting place again, as no one dared speak after the heartfelt words of the elder threehorn.  Finally, Volant spoke on behalf of the flyers.

"We need to scout outside the valley and make sure the sharpteeth aren't nearby."  She stated softly.  "We flyers could take care of that."

Mr. Threehorn looked up.  Volant had the determined look of a dinosaur who wanted closure.  It was the look not of a consciousness flyer, but rather of a vengeful one.  She wanted vengeance for Petrie's demise.  This was an impulse that he could understand all too well at this point, but it was not one that suited the female flyer.

"And I take it that you want to lead the effort?"  He added dryly.

She simply nodded at his question.

"Very well."  He spoke gravely, as all of his fatigue and years seemed to exude through his voice. "But remember you have other children, Volant.  Petrie wouldn't have wanted you to leave them as orphans."

She didn't respond and simply flew off to gather the other volunteers.  

The threehorn sighed and reflected glumly at her predicament and how it reminded him of his own past.  He would have let himself fall in his grief if it wasn't for the promise he made to his first mate as she lay dying.  He knew this now and realized that she had known him far better than he had known himself.  He simply hoped that Volant realized her worth before the same grief, the loss of a child, destroyed her as well.  She didn't have a mate to lean on for support, but she did have her children and the memories of the beloved grammar-challenged flyer.  Hopefully, that would be enough.

"I guess... We need to discuss the valley's defenses."  Came the soft voice of Grandpa Longneck.

Mr. Threehorn snapped out of his melancholy and looked at the towering longneck.  They couldn't fall into despair, as they had the valley to protect.  He cleared his throat as he prepared to make known his views on the matter.

"I agree.  Here is what we should do..."

Volant had been flying for well over half the day and was getting quite exhausted.  Her volunteers had all taken several breaks during the scouting run, but she had abstained from any rest.  She had to find that treasonous sharptooth and the other sharpteeth that had killed her son.  She had to either make sure that they were well away from the valley, or otherwise dealt with.  She owed it to her other children to protect them from this threat and she owed it to Petrie...

Suddenly, up ahead she found something.  It was another flyer!  She couldn't quite make out what kind of flyer it was from that distance, but when she looked down she knew all too well what she was faced with.  She noticed a thick streak of blowing dust the partially obscured the runners below, but with the gentle blowing of the northern winds she could see the six figures.  

It was Chomper and his fast biters!

She noted with rising anger that the flyer up ahead must be the same one that was in the valley.  The same one that struck at and partially blinded the leader of the spiketail herd.  And the one who more than likely killed Petrie.  Petrie, being a competent flyer, could have escaped from any of the others, but not from the sharptooth flyer.  He looked small enough, she observed.  She could attempt to take him down and the sharpteeth below wouldn't be able to do anything about it.  If she died in the attempt then at least she would have done so in order to avenge her fallen son.  It was a price she would gladly pay.

But then the words of Mr. Threehorn echoed in her head.

"But remember you have other children, Volant.  Petrie wouldn't have wanted you to leave them as orphans."

She then realized that she was being selfish.  She had nine other children who Petrie had loved dearly as brothers and sisters.  He would have been disappointed in her if she sacrificed herself out of revenge.  No, she resolved, she would fulfill her duties as a parent and protect those who remained under her charge.  She could beg for Petrie's forgiveness when it was her time to enter the Great Beyond, but for now she had others to care for.  She knew that Petrie would accept that, even if she could not.

Finally having resolved to tell the others of her findings, Volant let out a mournful cry towards the retreating sharpteeth and turned back towards the other searchers.  The sharpteeth were well away from the valley and were moving at a brisk pace to the east.  The valley was safe for now.

Petrie watched from the air as his mother turned and flew back towards the valley.  Her call conveyed so much rage and so much pain that it broke the sharptooth flyer's heart.  If only he could talk to her and tell her what really happened.  If only they could reverse the changes and go back...  But all of those possibilities seemed out of reach now.  He simply hoped that she was able to recover from his disappearance.  He didn't want her to continue to suffer like she was.

As the small flyer was alone in his thoughts in the sky above, Spike was contemplating the journey ahead and the changes that they all were still adjusting to with varying degrees of success.  

The entire gang was now passing through a narrow gorge that supposedly lead to the river that they were now seeking.  The river was only the first destination on what promised to be an epic journey if Ruby's recollection was correct.  Spike was already finding that he did not enjoy this journey.  There was no food in this place, or at least no food that he could now eat...  Additionally the arid land and dry air made him desperate with thirst.  How were they supposed to survive five days of this?

The only good thing about this journey, Spike reflected, was that it gave him some time to think and get his thoughts in order.  The mental task that he had avoided the night before could finally be attended to on this day.

When using his new faculties, he noticed with some concern that his train of thought was entirely different than what it was before.  Previously he had been deliberate in his thoughts and they simply gravitated in a linear fashion.  If he smelled a plant that was enticing, for example, then he would simply locate the plant with his sniffer and eat.  If his sister was upset, then he would simply go beside her and grunt in a questioning manner.  She, without fail, would tell him of her problems and as a result she would feel better or agree to talk to someone else.  It wasn't that he was slow, but rather that there was no need to overcomplicate things and argue about irrelevances like the others did.  This intellectual distance had made him a unique member of the gang.

Now, however, his thoughts were swift and ruthless in their direction.  He found that he was constantly examining the path that they were taking and calculating the best ways to move from place to place.  Where would be the best place to go if they had to run from a threat?  His mind could easily calculate the best route.  Where would be the best place to observe the land and scout ahead?  His mind could find an answer to that as well.  He found this jumble of thoughts confusing in the extreme.  He supposed the intellectual straightforwardness that he had become accustomed to would never return.  He would have to adjust to his new self, both physically and mentally.

At least I am getting used to my body now. Spike thought abruptly.  It seems that running awakened something within me.

It was then that he took a hard look at the gang.  Littlefoot, Cera, Ducky, and Ruby were all ahead of him and were walking at a very fast pace.  In fact they were doing more of a fast trot than a walk.  Beside himself, Spike noticed that Ducky and Chomper were both keeping up from a distance from the front.  Ducky was lost in her mournful thoughts which explained her slower pace, whereas Chomper actually looked physically exhausted.  Spike reflected on the fact that it would be difficult for a young sharptooth to keep up with a pack of fast biters.  He momentarily felt pride at his pack's great speed.  Wait, no!  He mustn't think as if he was part of a pack!  He was still Spike and they would soon get all of this resolved!  He did not actually believe those thoughts, but he had to tell himself that nonetheless.  He feared the alternative.

His thoughts were interrupted by a panicked screech in the skies above.  It was Petrie!

He is giving an alarm call of some sort. Spike immediately deduced.  Wait!  Spike thought to himself.  How do I know that?

It was then that the entire gang heard an unmistakable sound.

Roar!

They turned in a panic.  It was Thud and Screech!  If they were around then Red Claw must be close behind.  They had to flee while they still had a chance.

"Run!"  Came Littlefoot's panicked order as the gang ran headlong through the gorge.

Spike burst into action.  His large hind limbs sent a river of dust from where he was previously as he barreled forward into the narrow gorge.  The introspective thoughts of earlier were completely forgotten as the engrained survival instincts of the fast biter took over.  He was not strong enough to fight off the threat; therefore his only option was to flee.  The only question was: flee where?  How were they supposed to flee from a predator that was much stronger and faster than they were?  Their options were very limited.

Chomper struggled to keep up with his now much faster friends, but he was beginning to fall behind.  Sharpteeth of his kind simply were not made for sprinting.  They could stalk prey for long distances and sprint for a short period of time, but this chase was simply too much for him.  Something would have to give soon.

The dust from the advancing gang was not improving his situation any.  He couldn't see what was in front of him through the impermeable blanket of grey, which burned his eyes.  All that the little biter could do was follow the dust trail and the sound of thundering footsteps in the hope that he did not lose his way.

Screech!

Chomper took a quick look behind him and immediately wished he hadn't.  The two fast biters were rapidly advancing on him and were edging close to the rock walls of the gorge.  They are trying to ambush me! The panicked sharptooth realized.  However at that moment the sharptooth noticed something that he would later reflect on for quite some time.  Thud had slowed his advance somewhat and seemed to be nodding at something further ahead.  What? The little biter thought in his confusion.

Chomper looked ahead, not breaking the rapid pace of his run, and noticed what Thud was pointing at.  It was a crevice in the rock wall!  It looked narrow enough that the two large fast biters would not be able to enter it, but perhaps he and his friends could.  He knew what he had to do now.

"Guys!"  He shouted as loud as he could at the massive cloud of dust in front of him.  "Run into the crevice now!"

As Chomper began to head in the direction of the crevice he could see several forms emerge from the pervasive dust.  He nearly collapsed when he was brushed along his side by one of the gang who was obviously thinking of running and little else at this point.

"Watch it!"  Came the exasperated voice of Cera.

Chomper continued his advance as several of the others ran in front of him in their headlong sprint to safety.  As he was within several body lengths away from the opening he felt the impact from a fast biter which had leaped over and landed in front of him.  He then felt a nudge from behind him.

"It's alright, Chomper!"  Came Ruby's voice, which was then followed by Littlefoot's.  "Keep running!"

The fact that Ruby and Littlefoot had his back greatly improved the spirit of the exhausted sharptooth and he speedily entered the safety of the crevice just in time.

"You think that will stop us!"  Came the mocking voice of Screech.  "You have only delayed dinner.  Red Claw does not take kindly to those who invade his territory!"

At the mocking tone of their adversary, something snapped within Littlefoot.  How dare they imply that his pack was weak with their mockery!

"If Red Claw wants us for dinner then let the fool try and catch us!"  Littlefoot said in defiance, as Chomper and Ruby looked on in horror.  "He must be even stupider than you to choose you two as his help!"

"Littlefoot!"  Chomper said in a muffled hiss.  It would not do them any favors to motivate the fast biters to chase them down.  What was Littlefoot doing?

"You can't even catch a few younglings!  What does that say about you?"  Littlefoot finished his statement with mockery.

"Argh!"  Screech screamed at the insolence of the young fast biter.  "I will enjoy killing you, runt!"

The entire assembled gang then could hear the sound of running feet as the two predators were obviously trying to find another entrance into the crevice.

"What are you doing?!"  Cera exclaimed at Littlefoot.  He is acting like a threehorn on an ego trip.  The yellow fast biter thought to herself.  It wasn't as if she didn't share his sentiments.  She most certainly did.  But this behavior was very unlike Littlefoot and that concerned her.  "This isn't going to help us any."

"Littlefoot?"  Chomper questioned the former longneck.

"Why?!"  Littlefoot muttered.  "Because he insulted us!  How dare he?!"  He hissed out that last few words.

Littlefoot may not have been openly declared to be the leader of the gang, but he was accepted as such by the others nonetheless.  In their many adventures, his opinion or words had swayed the views of the group on several occasions.  Now, as a sharptooth, the mantle of leadership entailed a different meaning.  He could not let others insult and belittle his pack!  A sharptooth not only relied upon his strength and wits to assert dominance, but also his reputation.  A good bluff could be just as useful, and much less dangerous, than a frontal charge; and a reputation could be ruined far easier than it could be built.  Littlefoot was unaware of these considerations in sharptooth life but his instincts nonetheless cried out their disapproval at being insulted.  He simply had to act and he did so.

Chomper looked at the brown fast biter with a little more understanding.  When his parents had confronted other sharpteeth in the mysterious beyond, his father had often acted with extreme arrogance and vulgarity to everyone but his allies.  Well, sometimes even to the allies as well.  Chomper figured that was his way of asserting his strength over others.  His father had told him on many occasions that Chomper didn't have to care about what anyone else thought about him, so long as they didn't think of him as weak.  If you are viewed as weak, his father had told him, then you will be open to challenges.  If you were open to challenges, then you probably wouldn't live that long.  Eventually some upstart would bring you down.  For this reason, a reputation of being powerful was almost as important as being powerful.  This made Littlefoot's reaction much more relatable to the young sharptooth.

"Well..."  Chomper began.  "We can't outrun them so we need to get them to lose our trail."

"Well that is a nice thought, Chomper, but how do we do that?"  Cera asked in an agitated voice.

"We leave the cave and run downwind!  If we go downwind then they can't smell us.  Obviously, if they can't smell us then they would follow us downwind."  Ruby proposed.

"That would take us back towards the valley though."  Spike noted.  "Red Claw is probably in that direction."

Ruby felt dejected that her plan would not work.  They had to think of something!  Otherwise, they would soon be eating Littlefoot's words, or rather, someone would soon be eating them.

"Water!"  Ducky cried.  "I smell water.  Yep, yep, yep!"  The former swimmer called out in happiness.  Even though this body was not made for the water like she was in her previous form, she still felt great affinity for the water.  The fact that she and the rest of the gang were also incredibly thirsty also played a role in her reaction.

Spike sniffed the air.  "Yes!  I smell it.  It is deeper in this cave."

"Water, that's it!"  Chomper jumped up and down in glee.  "Water will help us lose those sharpteeth!"

The others looked at Chomper with an unsure expression for a few moments until Cera finally spoke up.

"How exactly is water going to help us?"  Cera asked.  "Are you trying to make sure that they have a drink to go along with their meal?"

Chomper rolled his eyes before responding.  My father would find Cera's wit amusing.  He reflected.  "Come on, guys!  I will show you!"

The gang then ran through the small cave that they found themselves in and advanced until they could see light up ahead.

"There is the exit!"  Littlefoot cried, as the others advanced to the opening.

The sight that greeted them surprised them all.

They were in another gorge, this one being far wider than the one that they had escaped from, and there was a shallow river flowing between its two rock walls.  Was this the river that they were suppose to follow?

"That is it!"  Ruby exclaimed.  "I guess the crevice brought us to the river early. Now we can follow it until it forks."

Littlefoot looked at her questioningly.  "You didn't know this was here, Ruby?"

"No."  She responded.  "I only knew of the path that we are on.  If I knew about this path, then we would have taken this path.  This path we would have taken."

"Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I am thirsty."  Cera replied, and proceeded to drink from the newly found source of water.  

"Yuck!"  The water tasted rancid.  Upon further inspection Cera found that the water had an almost translucent green coloration and was distinctly slimy.  Gah!  Even the water is bad here!

"What is wrong with the water?"  Littlefoot asked Cera, with concern evident in his voice.

"Like I would know!"  Cera retorted.  "It is just bad water!"

"We need to get moving, guys!"  Chomper exclaimed.

As if on cue, a concerned voice called out from above.  It was Petrie!

"They have found a way in!  They gonna find you!"  Petrie warned.

"Where are they?"  Ruby asked.

"Very close.  They enter from hole in rock wall!"  He answered.  "They be that way!"  As he said this he signaled with his beak towards the horizon.  They were no more than a few minutes run from the gang!  Neither group had seen the other, with Petrie being the obvious exception, but they would no doubt do so in the near future.

"Chomper, what was your idea?"  Ruby asked with extreme concern.

"Quick, guys!  Run into the river!"  Chomper commanded and began to wade into the river.

"I hope that you know what you are doing."  Cera muttered, before likewise jumping into the water.

Seeing that everyone was now in the river, Petrie excluded, Chomper told them the rest of his plan.

"Run along the shallow part of the river and follow me."  The little biter commanded.

The entire gang ran through the shallows, following Chomper's lead.  None of them knew what the little biter had in mind, but each hoped that his plan would be successful.

"Where are those runts?!"  Screech screamed in annoyance.  

He knew that Chomper and those fast biters had entered this gorge.  Their scent was overpowering.  They had to have been here within the last few moments, but now there was no sign of them.  Surely they couldn't have run that fast?  Hiding was out of the question with his well-trained sniffer.  If they were still here then he would find them eventually.

He attempted again to capture their scent.  His nostrils captured a multitude of smells, but he focused upon the signature of young fast biter.  There was no new information there.  Just the same smell wavering smell of a recent romp through the sand.  Wait!  He sniffed the air again.  There they are! He could smell a whiff of fast biter odor from several minutes away.  He looked in the direction of the odor and smirked at what he saw.  There was a flyer circling in the air quite a distance above the ground.  It seems that the flyer was not smart enough to hide the whereabouts of his friends. Lucky for us. Screech thought to himself.

With a sharp nod to Thud, he ran in the direction of the wavering odor.  They both would eat well today.

A pair of eyes watched from behind a rock that was embedded in the shallows of the river.  The owner of the eyes began to smirk as he saw the two fast biters sprint away in the opposite direction.  He was quite glad that his plan had worked.

"They bought it!"  Chomper whispered to the others.

The others arose from behind their hiding places.  Cera had a smirk on her face, whereas both Littlefoot and Ruby displayed prideful smiles as they looked in Chomper's direction.  Spike and Ducky, however, still did not quite understand what had transpired.

"What happened?"  Ducky inquired.  "How did we trick them?"

Chomper turned and smirked at the green fast biter.  "We ran into the water which removed our smell trail."  He stated matter-of-factly.  "And Ruby came up with the other idea."

Ruby picked up where he left off.  "I rubbed on that water plant."  Ruby stated.  "That put my smell on it so that they could smell it.  Obviously, since my smell was on it they would chase it."  Ruby continued with an amused smirk appearing on her face.  "And since Petrie is carrying it they are chasing him.  Him they are chasing!"

Littlefoot added.  "He dropped the plant upwind, so he should be back here at any time."  He said that sentence while looking at the skies.  "Then we will continue to Hanging Rock."

"How did you two think of that?"  Cera had directed her question at Chomper and Ruby.  Although she attempted, poorly, to hide her feelings on the matter, she was quite impressed with what she had just seen.  Sure, they had tricked sharpteeth in the past, but this was above and beyond many of their previous tricks they had played on hapless sharpteeth.  She was quite curious how these two had come up with the idea.

"Well, sharpteeth will follow smell, so you need to make sure they will follow the right smell in the wrong way."  Ruby spoke in her usual sing-song manner.  "My daddy used a similar trick several times in the mysterious beyond in order to lead sharpteeth away from the nest.  If you make them go the wrong way, then you don't need to run away.  But if you have to run away, then the sharpteeth aren't going the wrong way!"

Chomper then began with his explanation.  "Well... My mommy and daddy would hide their smell so that they wouldn't scare the food.  They showed it to me when we did a joint hunt one day."  Realizing what he had just said, he attempted rephrased his statement.  "Uh... I mean..."

"We get it."  Cera dryly stated.

Littlefoot then fixed the small sharptooth with a contemplative look.  If he were honest with himself at that moment, then he would admit that he already knew the answer to the question in his head.  However, he had to broach the subject.

"So..."  Littlefoot began uncertainly.  "So you have hunted and killed before?  Not just eating what your parents have killed and not just eating insects... But you have killed other dinosaurs?"

There.  The question was finally out in the open.  Littlefoot supposed that the answer didn't matter anymore.  However, it would explain so much about Chomper's temperament and self-control.  He always knew that the little biter had to restrain himself while he was in the valley, but how far did that go?  How could one go from killing others to befriending those of the same kind?  Even though the answer to this one question was in itself irrelevant to how Littlefoot viewed Chomper, its implications that followed from it would be quite important indeed.  Littlefoot reflected that his conversation with Chomper couldn't wait much longer.

Chomper sighed.  "Yes, Littlefoot.  That is how we survived on the island."  Chomper reluctantly replied.  "I... had to hunt."  He finally admitted to his friends.  

There.  I admitted it. Chomper thought to himself.  I can't expect them to understand, but I hope they aren't mad at me.  I had no choice! The poor sharptooth had kept much hidden from his friends.  Answers were sometimes wise to hide, especially if the questions they answer were never explicitly asked.  Chomper didn't fully realize the toll this subterfuge had taken until he finally broke his silence on one of those taboo questions.  Now he felt mentally exhausted.

Even though most of them had already guessed the truth, this knowledge would have frightened or horrified the gang back when they were still herbivores.  At the very least, it would have caused many of their number to never look at Chomper the same way again.  But, whether it was due to the overwhelming events of the previous day or the changes to their personality, it did not have the same impact now.  In fact, as the other members of the gang processed his answer, only Littlefoot responded verbally.

"I guess that we already knew that."  Littlefoot admitted.  He paused for a moment and then continued.  "It came in handy today.  We would be dinner right now if it wasn't for you and Ruby."  He then gave both of them an appreciative smile.

Cera gave an affirmative grunt which Spike repeated.  Ducky, who was still stunned by their escape and Chomper's admission, remained silent in an unreadable expression.  Before anyone else could respond further, they were interrupted by Petrie.

"They run off.  We must run now!"  He called to the others.

Littlefoot nodded.  "You're right, Petrie.  We need to get moving again."

He then looked at the path ahead before responding.

"Okay, everyone!  Run in the shallows of the river to hide our smell.  We need to follow the river until it forks."

Without further discussion the gang followed Littlefoot's directive and began to speedily continue their journey.  They had lost a significant amount of time running and hiding from their pursuers.  They needed to get back on track.

A few moments into their resumed journey, however, Chomper felt a slight tapping on his back.

"Huh?"  Chomper muttered.  He looked up to see Ruby looking down at him with a prideful smile.

"You did good back there, Chomper."  The rose colored fast biter affirmed.

Chomper smiled and responded back.  "So did you."

With mutual nods to one another, the two sharpteeth rejoined the others and continued their journey to Hanging Rock.  They were not sure what the following days would bring, but they knew that they would face it together.

CeraTheRed

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Woah. Just...woah. All the drama and feels in this one...I can't wait for an update. And now all these secrets are starting to come out, which wad done really well. I'm also loving that Spike can talk in this form.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^ Thanks for the kind words. :)  Yeah, now that he has no reason to hide his sharptooth side from his friends, more details of Chomper's life will become known to the gang.  They will certainly need more of his help now that they have the same instincts and diet that he does.  :yes

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'll just say that I'm LOVING this story so far!

I'm so sorry I haven't even replied here yet. I kind of feel like Pangaea in a way. Like I keep putting things off that I know I should probably do on here, because I start thinking about how much I'll have to think about what I'm going to say, that I never get myself around to it.

Sorry for that blurted out blip, but I'm really enjoying this so far. You're showing emotions and thoughts of characters that I could only imagine of writing myself. How you can be so descriptive, but do it in a way that makes people want to get through all of it to see the story. It's marvelous.

It's cool seeing how the characters are acting more like sharpteeth without even noticing it.

I really wanna write more in-depth reviews then that, Rhombus, but At least I'm finally getting myself to review something at all. Another member on here keeps acting like he's doing something wrong when I don't review his stuff. It's nothing like that. I'm just finding it hard to bring myself to do this a lot of the time nowadays. I'm sorry, guys.

SPOILERS BELOW, DON'T READ!

I wonder, are you gonna use that little idea I came up with in the discussion thread for the RP that inspired this? I mean that thing with Mr. Thicknose. Thinking of doing something in the same vein as that? I don't wanna spoil people, so that's why this is in black.

Also, sorry for this mess of a post. Looks more like some dinosaur after Chomper's done with it than an actual post.  :lol
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Thank you for the kind comments!   :) I am glad that you are enjoying the story.  Oh, and don't feel bad about not being able to review or comment until now.  We all have lives outside of the forum and those should take priority over forum matters.   :yes

With regards to your non-spoiler comment, I am indeed trying to show the insidious and gradual mental changes that the gang is now going through.  As you can imagine, their growing hunger is not going to help their transition much.  As a result, a few cases of justified OOC moments will be coming up in the next few chapters.  They are still the characters that we have grown to know and love, but nonetheless they are irrevocably changed in both mind and body, and they will have to learn to deal with that.  ...And some will deal better than others.

With regards to the possible spoiler comment, I am not currently planning on doing something in that vein, however a tangentially-related scenario will play out later on involving one of the gang.  It will not be him/her meeting someone they know during their final walkabout, per se, but the manner in which the dinosaur is found and killed will be reminiscent of something in his/her past.  This will give him/her a greater understanding of what their current lot in life means, and how to be a good sharptooth.

Once again, thank you for the comments.  I am currently having some difficulty writing one of the next chapters, but when I resolve that issue I should have the next chapter posted.  Currently, I am aiming to have it posted by Monday.  :yes

Also, sorry for this mess of a post. Looks more like some dinosaur after Chomper's done with it than an actual post.  :lol

Shhh... Spoilers.  :p

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You're showing emotions and thoughts of characters that I could only imagine of writing myself. How you can be so descriptive, but do it in a way that makes people want to get through all of it to see the story. It's marvelous.
My thoughts exactly! :yes This is really the difference between an average writer like I am and a good writer, like you are :yes

Whatever will happen in the next chapter, I'm assuming it'll be as awesome and enjoyful a read as this chapter was :)

One thing I noticed is that you wrote "spiketail" where it should be "clubtail"
Inactive, probably forever.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This is really the difference between an average writer like I am and a good writer, like you are :yes

Don't underestimate yourself, Ducky.  You are quite a good writer.  Furthermore, your writing has noticeably improved as your stories have progressed and I am sure that this trend will continue in the future as you obtain more experience as a writer.   :yes I would like to thank you for the kind words, however.  

One thing I noticed is that you wrote "spiketail" where it should be "clubtail"

Oops!  Thanks for pointing that out.  I will make the correction on the fanfiction.net copy of my story.  :yes

Thank you for the kind words. :)  I should have the next chapter posted sometime tonight or tomorrow.  :yes

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Fanfiction link:  https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9990125/13/The-Seven-Hunters

Chapter 12   Hunger

“Real hunger is when one man regards another man as something to eat.” ― Tadeusz Borowski, This Way for the Gas, Ladies and Gentlemen

Where is that fork in the river?

To put it mildly, Cera was not pleased with recent events.  In the span of one day she had turned into a sharptooth, tried to avoid waking the adults, escaped from being killed by her own father, wandered around in the mysterious beyond, escaped from being killed by Screech and Thud, and then continued to wander around the mysterious beyond.  She was more than ready to put this journey to an end and finally get a moment of rest.  But that was when another aspect of her change made an appearance.

Growl....

Her stomach growled loudly in protest at its lack of attention during the eventful day.  She thought back to the events of the last day and realized that she had not eaten since the evening before they changed.  Perhaps it was time for them to eat?

Oh.  Right.

Eating now would entail something quite different to the gang.  They couldn't eat green food anymore.  Their appetites now called out for meat.  A horrifying thought then entered the former threehorn's mind.

If I am already this hungry then what are we going to do?  Ruby claims that we still have six more days of traveling.  How are we going to hold up?

She swallowed hard and raised her snout in the air.  Well, if they had six more days of travel ahead of them then she would simply have to put up with being hungry then wouldn't she?  The alternative was unacceptable.  She then attempted to clear her mind and ignore the hunger pains that had begun to make an appearance.  She was only moderately successful.

Spike was walking a bit behind the yellow fast biter.  Ducky and Chomper were to his right, whereas the others were walking just behind Littlefoot at the front of the pack.  They were still following the river in a much larger gorge then the one that they had ran for their lives in.  They had long since stopped walking in the water and instead moved back to dry land, as Ruby indicated that they probably had enough room between them and the two fast biters.  With that simple change their pace of travel had increased greatly.

However, the green fast biter had something more pressing on his mind than the speed of their travels or the introspective thoughts from the day before.  Much like what his mind was fixated on in his herbivore days, he was again focused upon food.

Food.

That single instinctual drive was one that was quite familiar to the fast biter.  He also was well acquainted with the unpleasant sensation of hunger.  Not from his time in the valley, of course, but rather from his time traveling with his friends in their numerous incursions into the mysterious beyond.  However, this time it was different.  Before he would simply feel two sensations: the yearning to eat and the painful absence of sustenance.  Now, however, there was another feeling that he couldn't quite place.  A feeling that felt alien in his mind.  He couldn't quite quantify or even qualify what he was feeling, but he could tell that it was slowly growing in power.  The little fast biter began to feel growing dread at this unknown phenomenon that was taking place within his mind.

The gang had been silent during the last two hours of their journey, as there was nothing of any significance to say.  They simply had to travel until they reached the fork in the river.  Then they could continue on the final, and longest, leg of their journey.

Due to the unpleasant sensation in his stomach, and the foreign feelings in his mind, he decided to finally break the silence and breach the subject with his friends.

"We need to eat soon."  He muttered to the group.  After the words left his muzzle he reflected that he could have put it in more articulate terms, but he gave a blunt statement for a blunt problem.  It was something that had to be addressed.

Cera was the first to stop.  She looked at Spike with an unreadable expression.  The others then proceeded to stop and look in his direction.  Even Petrie decided to join in the discussion, taking the opportunity to come to rest on Littlefoot's back.

"Well..."  Littlefoot began.  "There is nothing we can eat here."  He then took a quick look around at the landscape and gestured with one of his forelimbs.  "Dirt, dirty water, and rocks."  He mentioned what all of them could observe in the scene around them.  "Even if we wanted to hunt..."  Cera and Ducky both cringed at the mention of that possibility.  "I don't think there would be anything here."

Chomper nodded at Littlefoot's assessment.  "I haven't smelled anyone with my sniffer besides us."  The little biter stated.  "There is no food here."  He added without thinking about the implications.

Cera snorted.  "Been keeping track have you?"  She was still not open to the idea of hunting.  The fact that Chomper's mind had obviously moved to that possibility did not sit well with her.  However, she did not escalate her statement of disapproval beyond the sarcastic rebuke.

"If we get out of this gorge then we will be in the land of tall grasses."  Ruby stated.  "There should be more food there, more food there should be!"

"What food would that be?"  Cera asked skeptically, placing emphasis on the word 'food'.

Ruby looked at her a moment with an uncertain expression.  She was sure of the answer, but unsure how the yellow fast biter would accept it.

"Fish and eggs, mainly."  Ruby answered.  She had no problems with the first possibility, although the second one still brought up emotions of shame and disgust.  However, she was wise enough to know that mentioning that there could also be other dinosaurs to eat would not sit well with any of the others.  In fact, that possibility was unacceptable to Ruby as well.  Just because she had accepted that she was a sharptooth at an intellectual level that did not mean that she accepted it emotionally.  She was still torn up over her predicament just like the others.

"Yuck!"  Cera loudly retorted.  Ducky recoiled at the idea as well.  Only Spike and Petrie seemed to have no visible reaction to the news.  Their hunger had already begun to change their perspective on things, although neither one of them were quite aware of that fact yet.  Petrie was significantly hungrier than the others due to his smaller size and use of flight, whereas Spike was hungrier simply because he was Spike.  The change had not changed everything.

Littlefoot paused for a moment.  "Guys, I guess we don't have much of a choice."  He then looked at Cera, who he knew would be the most stubborn of the gang.  "But right now we need to get there.  We are not going to find anything here."

With nothing more left to be said on the matter, the gang then resumed their trek towards the fork in the river.

The light of the day was beginning to wave as the bright circle began its journey towards the horizon.  They only had a few hours of light left before the darkness of night would be upon them.  The gang had left the gorge that had been both their trail and prison for the last several hours.  They now were following the river through the flatland which abounded in this part of the mysterious beyond.  It made for quite a contrast with the geologically active land they had exited not so long ago.  The existence of a small hill was a curious sight in this otherwise flat expanse that seemed to stretch in all directions.  If Petrie wasn't in their group, Littlefoot would have suggested climbing it to have a closer look at their surroundings.

Caw!  Caw!  Came the call of Petrie from quite a distance away.  Littlefoot could deduce that it was not an alarm call, although he couldn't explain how he knew that.  Rather, it seemed to convey excitement.  Littlefoot decided that they should run to the hill and see what Petrie had observed.

"Up the hill!"  He called.  

The others followed immediately.  The hill was not particularly steep, but it was large enough to obstruct their view of the path ahead, being about the height of two full-grown longnecks.  Petrie had been resting on Littlefoot's back when the flyer decided to take a look for himself, obviously he had found something interesting.  Ruby, Cera, and Littlefoot were nearly at the top of the hill, while the others lingered some distance behind.  Ruby finally broke ahead of the pack and gawked at what she saw.

"There it is!"  Ruby called out as the gang walked over the crest of a small hill.  

The view that greeted them was both majestic and horrifying.  The river that they had followed for quite some time could be seen forking into two smaller rivers in the distance.  It was hard to estimate the distance with no discernible landmarks, but Ruby estimated it was at least two hours away.  That was not what concerned her, however.  There was no grass to be seen!  This was supposed to be the land of the tall grasses.  What had happened?  She then took a closer look at the river and noted that it was much shallower and greener than she had remembered.  I guess the water has turned bad here as well. She though dejectedly. So much for fish. The only vegetation that could be seen were a few water plants beside the river and small patches of grass emanating from the shore of the water.  This was not a good omen at all.

"Is this the land of tall grasses?"  Littlefoot asked with great concern.

Ruby looked dejectedly at the brown fast biter and confirmed his query.  "I am afraid so, Littlefoot.  I see no food here.  No food do I see."

"Well this is just great!"  Cera yelled in agitation.  "We walk all day and nearly get ourselves killed in the process, and what greets us?  More walking!"  She continued to fume as she scraped the ground with one of her hind legs.  "What shall we do now, oh wise pink one."  Cera asked mockingly.

"I am leading the right way!"  Ruby responded in a defensive manner.  "I cannot control the water or plants.  If I could control them than I would control them!"  Uncharacteristic for Ruby, the last sentence was nearly growled out.

Cera continued to fume but said nothing further in response.  Littlefoot was concerned by this behavior in the two female fast biters and decided to stop the conflict before it could escalate further.

"Stop, guys!"  Littlefoot pleaded.  "Nothing can be done about it.  We have to decide what to do now."  He stated somewhat weakly.  It was only then that he realized that this journey had already taken more out of him than he originally supposed.  In fact, he was exhausted.

A yawn from Ducky seemed to confirm that the others were exhausted as well.

"I am ready for sleep.  I am.  I am."

Spike grunted in agreement as he would have done in his previous form, but then seemed to remember his new vocal repertoire.  "I am tired as well.  Should we rest since there is no food to be found anyway?"

Littlefoot seemed to ponder this for a few moments before responding.

"I guess that would be a good idea."  He then yawned as well.  "We can continue the journey tomorrow."  He looked one last time at the desolate scene in front of him.  "Hopefully the land of tall grasses isn't all like this."

Ruby then thought about their situation and mentioned something to Chomper.  Chomper then put his small forelimb to his muzzle as if he were in thought, before whispering back at Ruby.  Littlefoot and Cera were both perplexed by the behavior of those two and were about to ask what they were up to, but then Ruby mentioned something.

"The wind is blowing towards the land of tall grasses.  But if anything were heading our way then we could see them coming for quite some time from this hill."  She began.  "Perhaps we should sleep on this hill tonight?"  She questioned.

Cera thought about that for a moment and she actually found that to be a reasonable idea, although she was still upset about their predicament.  The thought of being far up actually seemed rather inviting to her.  It is far better to be on high ground, then down below. Some voice insider her head seemed to insist.  She probably would have questioned why she felt that way if it wasn't for the fact that she was so tired and hungry.  She was too exhausted and frustrated to give anything else much thought.

"Sounds good to me."  Littlefoot stated.  "I guess that we can move on tomorrow."

As the gang began to dig scrapes upon the dusty hill overlooking the flatland beyond, they were left wondering what would become of them now.  They had no shelter, no food, and no water except for the green river which smelled awful.  They were truly alone in an unforgiving world.  They eagerly awaited the world of dreams, as each knew that the next day would bring more hardship.

Chomper reflected that he now knew why his father had always found fast biters so annoying.

Even since they had gotten up in the morning, they had been walking at a brisk pace.  But what is a 'brisk pace' to a fast biter is only a few steps down from a run to a small tyrannosaurus.  As a result, the poor biter was utterly exhausted.  

How can they do it?  The young sharptooth asked in his head.  I can barely keep up!

It would have been one thing if they were all full grown, he reflected.  At least then he would be much larger than them and his much larger stride could help him keep up.  But as it was he was quickly becoming exhausted.  He was thinking about asking Littlefoot for a break when Ruby suddenly stopped the gang.

"Hang on, everyone!"  The rose colored fast biter suddenly interjected and held up a forelimb as if to shush them.  She seemed to listen for a moment as a small smile suddenly appeared on her face.  "Do you all hear that?"

Chomper struggled to listen and nearly signaled that he did not hear anything out of the ordinary, but then he heard it.

"Ground fuzzies!"  He hissed silently.  At this affirmation, Ruby nodded.

"Yes, ground fuzzies!"  Ruby confirmed.  "Perhaps this could take the edge off of our hunger?"

"So let me get this straight."  Cera began in an interrogative manner.  "You want us to hunt down ground fuzzies for food?  Do we have any other option?"

At this Littlefoot interjected.  "Cera..."  He began.  "We can't eat plants anymore.  We have no choice.  At least it isn't other dinosaurs."

Cera paused for a moment before responding.  "Well, maybe we can still eat green food after all.  The wish hasn't changed everything has it?"

Ruby interjected.  "But you have smelled what the green food smells like now.  It smells terrible."

"And bitter."  Spike interrupted.  The symphony of smells that he had experienced as a leaf-eater was much less than what he experienced now, but he could notice a distinct difference.  Before the green food called to him with the richest and sweetest smells, but now it was all bitter with little distinction between the plants.  His sniffer had a focus for other smells now... and Spike knew it.  He wished that Cera would accept this fact sooner rather than later.

"Well, I am going to try anyway!"  Cera stated stubbornly.  "The rest of you can enjoy hunting."

Chomper gave an exasperated sigh.  Well, at least the others were beginning to think reasonably.  He just hoped that they would be able to catch some food.  He was hungry.

Cera had taken position next to one of the water plants beside the river.  She smelled the plant and gave a noticeable retch.  It obviously did not smell appetizing to her.

"How is it?"  Spike called.  He was somewhat curious to see if Cera could eat the green food.  Even if it wasn't tasty, if they could keep it down then it could sustain them on this journey.  Perhaps her stubbornness could pay off after all.  Presuming, of course, that she could actually eat the green food.

"I haven't eaten any yet."  She replied weakly.  However, her pride wouldn't allow her to accept failure without trying so she decided to dig in despite her reservations.

With a large bite she took a large branch of the plant into her mouth and ripped it off.  It took all of her fortitude to avoid spitting it out right there.  It tasted rancid, like rotten sweet bubbles.  It was easily the most revolting thing that she had ever tasted.  With some effort, however, she began to grind the leaves with her sharp teeth and swallowed the unappetizing mass of foul-smelling, bitter-tasting sludge into her throat.  She sucked in a shuddering breath.  This stuff is awful! She admitted to herself.  She was now crying, she noted, as her eyes had watered during the entire attempt to eat green food.  Perhaps she should have tried a smaller bite?

"How is it, Cera?"  Ducky inquired.

Cera paused for a moment before turning around and answering.

"It is awful, but I think that I can keep it down.  It's just that..."  Without warning, Cera suddenly had the violent urge to heave.  As she felt the warm sledge return from its destination, she knew what was coming.  Her attempt had all been for naught.

The others looked on in disgust and concern as Cera vomited in front of them for the next several moments.  When the former threehorn wouldn't stop retching and shuddering, Littlefoot and Ducky came by to comfort the poor fast biter.  She looked worse than she did before, as if the sickness had taken a lot out of her.  Her stubbornness from before was forgotten as she turned to despair.

Cera sucked in a few shuddering breaths as the retching finally stopped.  She had never been so sick in all of her life.  It seemed that green food was denied to them forever more.  There was only one option now...

"Why?  Why?!"  She cried out in frustration as she tore at the ground with her forelimbs.  Littlefoot and Ducky both jumped back in order to avoid the sudden outburst.  The emotional impact of their situation had finally dawned on the yellow fast biter and she did not take kindly to the revelation.  She finally stopped after several moments and Littlefoot responded with a concerned expression.

"Cera?  Are you back with us?"  He asked simply.  He didn't ask if she was alright.  Nothing was alright anymore.  But he could make sure that she was at least back in control of herself.  Her display of violent rage wasn't directed at any one dinosaur, but rather at the situation itself.  Nonetheless, Littlefoot had to make sure it was out of her system.

"Yeah."  She replied weakly.

She then looked at Chomper with a saddened expression.  It almost looked apologetic, yet mournful at the same time.  It was an expression that deeply troubled the little biter.

"We have no choice now.  Do we?"  It wasn't really a question, but Chomper nodded anyway.

Cera then closed her eyes and bowed her head for a few moments.  After Ducky resumed her position at Cera's side, she waved Littlefoot off.  Even though Cera wouldn't admit it, the two girls needed some time to confide.  He and the others could begin to attend to their new duties now.  He walked away from the two females and stopped several paces away from the others.

Littlefoot then called for Chomper's and Ruby's attention with his forelimbs.

"Okay... How exactly do we do this?"  He whispered.

Oh boy.  Chomper thought to himself.  Where do I even begin?

"Alright, guys!  The trick with ground fuzzies is to outsmart them."  Chomper began.  He had a noticeably more chipper tone that he had displayed in the previous day.  If he would have thought about the situation at length he might have admitted that it was because this reminded him of when his father had trained him.  This mixture of nostalgic happiness and concern for his friends made for a confusing jumble of emotions.  "They are fast so you have to trick them and trap them."

"Okay..."  Spike thought out loud.  "How exactly do we do that?"

"Well... Uh."  Chomper began uncertainly.  "You can hear them, can't you?"  At Spike's nod, Chomper continued.  "Okay, so you know where they are.  Now you have to find their holes."

"Holes?"  Littlefoot asked.

"Yes, holes."  Chomper confirmed.  "They each have a few holes that lead to their nests.  If one dinosaur blocks the hole, while another digs then it is an easy meal!"

"So let me get this straight."  The familiar voice of Cera made an appearance once again, apparently she had recovered enough from her ill-advised meal earlier.  "One of us traps them, while the other one digs."

"That's right, yeah."  Chomper shrugged.

"Well then I call digger!"  Cera proclaimed.  "I am starving!"

Chomper rolled his eyes, as Littlefoot interjected.

"Alright, Cera.  But we all need to share the catch.  None of us have eaten for a long time.  We are all hungry."

With their directions having been laid out to them, the seven friends began their first hunt together.  It was obvious that none of the gang were quite prepared for what that entailed, as the somewhat sickened expressions on Ducky's face indicated, but each of them knew that there was no other way.  They had begun to accept the reality of their situation.

The gang has scattered throughout the immediate area in order to search for the entryways into the nests of the small ground-dwelling mammals.  They were completely new at this, of course, so they were having difficulty.  But Chomper had some prior experience in this regard.

"Found one!"  He exclaimed.  He then took up a position beside the hole, with his forelimbs at the ready.  No prey would be able to get past him, he resolved.  He would show the gang how it was done.

Eventually the others found a few more entrances as well.  After a few moments the entire gang had found entrances with the exception of Ducky and Petrie.  They decided to help others watch over their holes.  The task of drawing the critters out was in Cera's paws at this point.

"Okay, Cera.  Try to dig them out!"  Chomper encouraged.  "Either you will catch one or you will be sending them our way.  The ground fuzzies panic easily."

Cera would have responded with a biting remark at his acknowledgement of prior hunting experience, but she kept such commentary to herself.  She couldn't very well criticize him, now could she?  She was hunting just like the others.

With a cautious demeanor, she allowed her head to approach the ground, listening for any sign of the elusive ground fuzzies.  She listened carefully and nearly brought her head to rest on the ground.

Scrape... Scrape...

There you are. Cera thought to herself.  You won't escape from me!  She thought the last sentence with extreme pride and an almost giddy sense of anticipation.  If it wasn't for her focus on the hunt at hand, she might have questioned why she was thinking in such a manner.  She was beginning to think like a sharptooth would and her budding hunting instincts were beginning to take hold.  But she was not fixated on her thoughts at that moment, so she was not distracted from her task.

With both forelimbs aimed in front of her, the yellow fast biter began to dig into the parched earth.  The digging was difficult as the ground had obviously not seen moisture for quite some time.  It was a wonder that even the ground fuzzies could live out here.  After some time she could begin to feel the hardness of the surface give away and give way to a moister, more malleable layer of soil.

She stopped for a moment.  The sounds of ground fuzzies were much more prominent now.  They are scared! Cera noted.  This observation gave her some pause.  A diminishing part of her psyche took this observation with great apprehension.  She had lived in fear for all of her life at the threat that sharpteeth represented.  How could she now become the killer?  True, it was just ground fuzzies and not other dinosaurs, but the fact remained that they were about to kill for food.  A line was about to be crossed, but did they really have any choice?  The other part of her mind, however, was driving her to go for the kill.  She was hungry and food was present under the soil.  The time for thinking was over and the time for action had arrived.  At any other time she might have refrained from acting until she had a better hold over her emotions, but not in her current hungry state.  She was out for blood.

Suddenly the ground gave way and her clawed paws were in the tunnel.  She let out a surprised yelp as the scurrying mass of rodents went in various directions in the ground tunnels.  However, one ground fuzzy was caught up in the panic of the moment.

Snap!

The small rodent's neck was snapped in a single swift stroke of Cera's clawed paw.  Its small, broken body lay prone on the bottom of the dirt tunnel.  Cera was left looking at her victim with a stunned, yet curious expression.  She was not sure what to make of her actions emotionally.  What have I done?

Meanwhile, the others were attempting to catch the ground fuzzies as they attempted to escape from their nest.  

Chomper, having had previous hunting experience, easily caught the first rodent that had the misfortune of crossing his path.  A second victim was crushed by one of his hind limbs as he was dispatching the first with his powerful jaws.  After a few moment a latecomer tried to escape through the same exit.  After a brief chase it too was dispatched.  He resisted the urge to immediately devour the tasty morsels, as they needed to share the catch.  There may not be enough to go around otherwise.

Ruby had also secured a single ground fuzzy that had scurried along her path.  She was new at hunting ground fuzzies, but she had eaten snapping shells and fish before. If I can handle fish then I can handle ground fuzzies. She thought.  She did feel some remorse when she looked at the frozen look of terror in the little mammal's face, however.  Fish as a general rule did not give her an impression of any suffering that they could have experienced, which helped to desensitize her to fishing when she was a fast runner.  In fact, she had not even given it much thought until she went to a more herbivorous diet in the Great Valley.  Nonetheless, she felt a profound sense of apprehension at her recent act.  Besides the one egg she had stolen several years ago, she had never killed a land dweller.

The other two teams, consisting of Ducky and Spike within one and Littlefoot and Petrie in the other, had only minor success in their hunting efforts.  Spike was able to catch a smallish mammal, whereas Ducky was unable to make a successful catch.  Littlefoot and Petrie were likewise unable to obtain any ground fuzzies, as none of them had taken the tunnel that those two were guarding.  They were unable to catch that which was not there to begin with.

"How did we do, guys?"  Chomper then asked the members of the gang.  "I got three of them!"

"I've got one."  Ruby confirmed.

"Same here."  Spike noted.

There were several moments of silence.  Chomper decided to force the issue and ask the others how they did.

"Cera?  How about you?"

"Huh?"  Cera asked.  "Oh, I got one."  She noted hastily.  Discomfort and unease was still present in her voice and that was not lost on Chomper.  Nonetheless he did not press the issue.

"None headed our way."  Littlefoot affirmed.  "We didn't catch anything."

"That's okay, guys.  That is why we are sharing."  Chomper stated.  "A pack shares the food it catches."

The mention of the group as a 'pack' was not lost on Cera and made something in her arise in protest.  "Oh, so we are a pack now are we?"  She asked warily.  "You must be glad that we have all changed."

Chomper looked shocked and immediately clarified himself.  "What!  I didn't mean that.  But we are all sharpteeth now and..."

Littlefoot interrupted on the little biter's behalf.  "We may be able to fix this and change back, but we need to eat, Cera."  Littlefoot responded.  "Surely sharing isn't that bad?"

Cera took a deep breath before responding.  "Fine.  But don't think I am going to sit back and let us suddenly become a 'pack' all of a sudden."  She then couldn't resist taking one final dig at the purple sharptooth.  "Unlike some others, I am not enjoying this."

Chomper had an indignant look on his face, but did not say anything in response.

Spike then readdressed the topic at hand.  "So... Um.  How do we split this up?"

Chomper sighed and then made a suggestion.  "Well, we have six ground fuzzies.  That is one short to give us all one."

Petrie sighed.  "Me guess me could take half.  Me smaller than rest."

Littlefoot looked upon the flyer with a concerned expression.  "Are you sure, Petrie?"  

At Petrie's nod, Chomper began to rip one of the small mammals in half.  This gory sight made the other members of the gang recoil in a mixture of disgust and horror.  The horror was in equal measure for the sight they were seeing and for the actions they were about to take.  Were they really going to eat another living creature?

Littlefoot was the next to speak.  "I will only take half as well.  Let everyone else take one."  He was not going to let others take less on his behalf.  He and Petrie had not had a successful catch.  Thus it would be unfair for them to take more than their fair share.

At Littlefoot's request Chomper took the two sides of the small mammal into his jaws and dropped them in front of the duo.  The severed head and torso of the mammal was in Littlefoot's corner, while the lower half rolled near Petrie.  The sight of such gore made a confusing mixture of emotions rise up in Littlefoot.  He felt a pang of horror in what he was about to eat.  Not only did he participate in the killing of these innocent creatures, but now he was going to devour them like a sharptooth.  Because I am a sharptooth.  The former longneck admitted morosely.  The entire scene made secondary thoughts rise up in the brown fast biter.  The most notable of these questioned what his mother would have thought if she had seen this.  He shook his head and tried to clear his mind, he had no choice at this point.  Therefore, he licked his lips and prepared to take the first bite.

With some trepidation he put his snout to the rodent and inhaled deeply.  The smell that greeted his nostrils was an amazing combination of sweetness and musk.  This conveyed an irresistible desire within Littlefoot.  Every part of his mind seemed to cry out at that same moment.  Food! Shaken by this sudden response, Littlefoot licked his lips again and noticed that moisture was dripping from his mouth.  He was salivating heavily.  Am I really that hungry? With his body and instincts both commanding him to eat the disgusting looking clump of flesh, he decided to put aside his doubts and take a bite.

It tasted... Good.  

Very good.  

This horrified some part of him that actually hoped that it would taste awful.  After all, they had just killed other living things!  Surely such a foul act did not deserve a tasty meal.  But yet some part of him enjoyed every aspect of his small meal.  He enjoyed the metallic tasted of blood which permeated across his tongue and gushed towards his throat.  He enjoyed the texture of cracking bone as he crushed the body of the small mammal with his sharp teeth.  He enjoyed the savory taste of the delicate meat which was now surging down his throat.  Emotionally speaking it was one of the best meals that Littlefoot could remember, but it left him unsatisfied.  He was still hungry.  He wanted more.  But he could control that impulse for now.  He hoped.

"How is it, Littlefoot?"  Chomper asked curiously.  The others had held off on eating their meals until after Littlefoot had finished.  Even though they had all changed into sharpteeth, there was some part of them that told them that meat was unappetizing.  In a way, eating meat was yet another step in a direction none of them were particularly wanted to go.  Hence their apprehension.

"It's great!"  Littlefoot said in an almost giddy voice.  He looked at Petrie's portion but barely restrained the impulse to take the flyer's meal.  I am still in control. He told himself, although he was uncertain if he truly was.  A small part of him wondered if eating the mammal was a good idea.  Something unknown and horrifying was awakened in Littlefoot and he knew it.

Littlefoot's exclamation deeply unsettled both Ruby and Chomper.  Ruby knew that the sudden change in demeanor indicated that hunger was already having an impact on their temperament.  How long could they go with small meals before they finally lost control?  She couldn't answer that question, but the possibilities scared her.  Chomper also observed his change in demeanor and feared that Littlefoot might be losing more of himself than Littlefoot realized.  He decided not to say anything at this time, as there was nothing that could be done about it.  But he knew that he would have to speak to his friend soon.

As if almost on cue, the hunger felt by the other members of the gang reached a breaking point and the entire gang began to devour their respective meals.  It was not much, but it did take the edge off of their hunger.  They all hoped it would be enough.  

They were still five days away from Hanging Rock.

Nothing.  Absolutely nothing.

Littlefoot and the others had been travelling from the moment the sun appeared on the horizon until the beginning of twilight and had found nothing of significance.  There was no food to speak of.  No predators, besides themselves.  No clean water.  The grass had become more plentiful, but that was of little use to them in their new forms.  The hunger that had been alleviated the night before had come back with a vengeance.  The fact that the gang now have had the experience of eating meat seemed to make the situation much worse.  They no longer were acting like hungry leaf-eaters.  Now they were behaving like the hungry sharpteeth that they were.  Littlefoot knew this now, but he had no idea what to do.

Suddenly he heard a commotion from behind him.

"Watch it!"  Cera angrily exclaimed.  Spike had accidently crashed into her.  She unconsciously raised her head and crest in a show of dominance.  She was about to learn that this was an unfortunate choice.

Littlefoot turned around to see the commotion begin to turn into a confrontation.

"Speed up and you wouldn't have that problem!"  Spike growled in defiance.  He didn't know why he was suddenly angry, but Cera's outburst and demeanor angered him more than anything that he could remember.  He didn't realize the dominance component of the conflict he now found himself in, but he felt its effects nonetheless.  He too unconsciously raised his crest in a counter-display of dominance.  The confrontation had turned dangerous.

"Guys..."  Littlefoot began.  For some reason that he couldn't quite explain he knew that this disagreement was different.

"Oh no!"  Chomper exclaimed.  He knew all too well what was happening

"I'll show you!"  Cera roared and lunged at Spike with her clawed forelimbs.

Spike deftly dodged Cera's attack and responded by snapping at her retreating forelimbs.  His attack missed its target by inches and he fell into a defensive stance.

Both fast biters were now circling one another, growling fiercely.  Each one was trying to find an opening in order press the attack to the other.  Unknown to the two participants, each was fighting the other for dominance.  Though each one was not thinking about killing at that moment, each one certainly could have ended the other's life in the process.  Friendship and companionship was absent from their minds in the heat of their personal vendetta.  The unfortunate combination of hunger and ignorance of their own instincts had led to this dangerous situation.

"ENOUGH!"

Both fighters stayed in their defensive stances, but each increased their distance from one another.  The other four sharptooth meanwhile were looking on in awe at the brown fast biter that had made that order.

Littlefoot then stepped in-between the two combatants, giving a steely look to each of them in turn.

"Just what do you think that you two are doing?!"  He demanded.

"He needs to watch where he is going!"

"She needs to learn respect!"

"I will show respect when you earn it!"

"Why you!"

"ENOUGH!"  Littlefoot exclaimed again.  "What has gotten into you two?  We can't begin fighting one another!  We have to work together!

Caw!

Littlefoot recognized that call.  It meant that Petrie had found something!  

"Can both of you knock it off for now?"  Littlefoot asked the two.

The two remained facing one another with fierce looks on their faces.

"We will finish this later."  Spike threatened.

"Agreed."  Cera affirmed.

The two then held their glares at one another, before finally retreating back to opposite sides of the pack.  The confrontation was over for now.

Littlefoot sighed, but he decided that he couldn't do any more at the moment.  All he could do is hope that they would work it out peacefully when they came back to their senses.

Caw!

At Petrie's reprise of his call, he signaled the others to follow his lead.  If they hurried then they could meet Petrie halfway in the flood plain that they now found themselves.  The others, being exhausted and hungry, ran with only lukewarm enthusiasm.  It took several moments for the flyer to meet up with the others.

"What is it, Petrie?"  Littlefoot asked.  They were still four days away from their destination, so he obviously hadn't found Hanging Rock.  That left only two possibilities: a threat of some kind or food.  Littlefoot really hoped it was the later.

"There is a herd of longnecks!"  Petrie replied.  "They seemed to have stopped by the river."

To say that this perked Littlefoot's interest would be an understatement.

"How far away are they?"  Was Littlefoot's next question.

"Petrie not sure."  The flyer replied.  "Me high up when see them.  Probably a day away."

"So, who cares?"  Cera asked dismissively.  "We can't talk to them and even if we could they wouldn't believe us."

Chomper looked at Ruby with an inquisitive expression to which she sighed and simply shrugged.

"Well..."  Chomper began.  "We do need to eat."  He knew the subject probably wouldn't get a positive response, but they had to begin to accept reality at this point.  They were hungry, they still had days to travel, and no other food source had presented itself during the last day.  They had to begin listening.

"You can't be serious!"  Cera exclaimed.  "We go a day without food and you already want to start eating other dinosaurs?"

"We ate very little yesterday, Cera."  Chomper stated matter-of-factly.  "Everyone is hungry."

Ruby interjected at this point.  "We have already started to snap at one another."  She stated the obvious fact.  "I think that we are beginning to enter the hunger madness."

"Hunger madness?"  Spike questioned.

"It is what I have been trying to tell you guys!"  Chomper said excitedly.  "When sharpteeth get hungry for too long they can get... unpleasant."  He continued.  "They can get angry fast... And even attack others."  He ended his last sentence by glancing at Cera and Spike, his insinuation clear to all.

"We can't let that happen again.  Oh no, no, no!"  Ducky stated.

Cera reacted with an exasperated grunt.  "You guys can't be serious!"  She then looked at Ducky.  "Do you want to hunt other dinosaurs, Ducky?  Do you want that on your mind?"  

Ducky looked away but shook her head nonetheless.  She didn't know what to think anymore.  She didn't want to turn on her friends, but she didn't want to kill either.  Both options seemed abhorrent to her.

She then looked at Littlefoot.  "Why don't you tell them that this is insane?  We can't sink to this level.  Otherwise we are no better than the sharpteeth."  She overlooked the fact that she was a sharptooth now.  She had accepted the undeniable physical transformation, but had not yet accepted all that entailed.  It was the one last bit of her old life that she was holding on to.  She feared if that fell by the wayside then she wouldn't be able to recognize herself anymore.  But there was another consideration as well.

"And what if we change back somehow?  How could we go back knowing that we killed other leaf-eaters?"  She asked sadly, she had gone beyond anger at this point.  "How could we live with ourselves?"

Littlefoot looked away from the gang and took a deep breath.  Well, that lays it all out, doesn't it?  He thought to himself.  He was not prepared to consider taking the ultimate step to their hunger problem, but he could not deny Chomper's concerns.  He was faced with yet another unwinnable situation.  Either he would betray his former life or risk losing his current one.  There was also the possibility of them turning on one another because of the hunger madness...  He looked down for a moment, deep in thought.

Petrie was confused and concern by Littlefoot's lack of response.  "Littlefoot?  You okay?"

"Yeah..."  He answered wearily.  He then raised his head and turned to look at the gang again.

"I am not ready to start hunting, Chomper."  As Chomper tried to interrupt, Littlefoot gave him a calming wave of the forelimb.  "But you are right.  We are getting more angry and unpleasant, and it is because we are hungry."  He shook his head slightly.  "But I just can't take that step.  I can't kill.  I just can't."  

He then looked sadly at the little biter.  "If you need to hunt then I won't stop you."  He released a breath that he didn't know he had been holding.  "And I can't blame you either."  He then looked pointedly at Cera.  "None of us can."  He looked at the rest of the gang with a haggard expression.  "If anyone needs to hunt then you may.  But I am not ready to..."  He trailed off as he couldn't finish the statement, but his meaning was all too clear to everyone present.  If one needed to hunt then they may.  The group could no longer judge.

Silence permeated through the group for several moments as everyone digested what had just happened.

"I guess we should get to sleep then, huh?"  Spike inquired of the others.

"Yeah.  We need to get to rest so that we will be rested."  Ruby agreed.

Cera didn't say anything but her own yawn confirmed that she had the same thoughts as the others.

Without much further discussion, the gang prepared scrapes for the night and began to enter the world of dreams.  None of them quite knew what the next day would bring, but each felt trepidation at the possibilities.  

They were still four days from Hanging Rock.

Chomper awoke with a start.

The little biter looked about in a confused manner.  It is still dark. He observed.  What woke me up?

The little biter then looked around him at the assembled gang.  Spike and Ducky were sleeping side by side.  Each trying to keep the other warm in the somewhat cool night.  It was obvious that the hunger madness was beginning to take a toll on the former stegosaurus, as he thrashed in his sleep.  A hunting dream. Chomper noted in his mind.  And not a happy one.  Chomper then turned his attention to Petrie.  He was sleeping beside Ruby and had a rather serine expression on his face.  Ground fuzzies could easily keep him fed.  Chomper noted on account of his size.  If only we were in a better place.  

Looking at Ruby, Chomper noted that she was twitching in her sleep.  "Daddy... run..."  She muttered in her sleep.  "Egg..."  She trailed off.  Chomper had no context for what she was dreaming about, but could recognize that she was distressed.  As gently as he could, Chomper placed his forelimb on her back.  The former fast runner then seemed to calm down and her twitching ceased.  He didn't like to see anyone suffer, especially his friends.  He hoped that they understood that.

Finally, he took a look at Cera.  The yellow fast biter had been a thorn in his side ever since they had changed days ago.  She constantly resisted his recommendations.  She was initially against eating the ground fuzzies and now she was against the gang hunting.  However, he didn't feel anger at her, rather he felt pity.  He had been there when Mr. Threehorn had chased him down and nearly killed him.  He had heard his cries of rage.  As a result, he had some appreciation of how deeply engrained his distrust and hatred of sharpteeth must have run.  It was no surprise that his daughter would share the same opinions.  What misery must it be to be changed into what you fear?  He looked upon her with a sad expression.  He hoped that she would eventually accept the reality of her situation.  She didn't deserve to suffer like that.  No one did.

He looked at the scrape that Littlefoot had made only to see something that surprised him.  He is gone!   Being concerned for Littlefoot's well-being, Chomper began to sniff the air around the scrape.  He would follow Littlefoot's scent and see what was wrong with his best of friends.

He followed the scent trail for a while and noticed that it seemed to be heading towards a nearby hill that was a bit away from the river they were following.  Was Littlefoot seeking high ground in order to scout?  Chomper was perplexed by the brown fast biter's actions and decided to proceed stealthily.  After some time he heard Littlefoot's voice.

"Mother, I don't know what to do."

Chomper looked up through the grass he was hiding behind.  His mother?  His mother was here?  But I thought that she died long ago, that was what Littlefoot had told me.  The sharptooth thought confusedly.  She then took a closer look at the scene ahead of him.

Littlefoot was resting on his haunches at the top of the small hill.  His eyes were fixed upon a certain star in the sky.  It was the same star that he always looked upon when he was uncertain or sad.  It was the star that he first noticed after his mother had died and part of him thought that perhaps it was her in the Great Beyond.  As he had learned with the rainbowfaces, there were things that he didn't quite understand.  Even if it wasn't her, he really needed her guidance now.

"I'm a sharptooth now and I don't know what to do."  He shook his head.  "I can't eat green food, I can't talk to my grandparents, and I can't go back to the valley."  He choked up a bit.  "You always told me to listen to my heart, but I am not sure what it is saying."  He paused for several moments.  "If only I had a sign.  I don't want to disappoint you."  He cried softly for a few moments.  He was no longer in front of the gang so he could afford a moment of weakness.  He was a pack leader now and they didn't show weakness in front of their followers, some part of his mind stated.  But he was also a child.  A child who even as a longneck had seen and experienced far too much in his short life.  He figured that he was owed some respite.

"Littlefoot?"  Came the soft voice of Chomper from the grass behind him.  Littlefoot jerked up at the voice, but then bowed his head and spoke softly in a voice of resignation.  "Chomper."  He then waved his forelimb to signal Chomper to come join him at the peak of the hill.

The two sat for a moment just looking at the stars.  Chomper had no idea where to begin.  What had Littlefoot been doing?  Why was he talking to a star?  It made no sense to him.

Littlefoot looked at the sharptooth and noted his confused expression.  Deciding to cut to the chase, he asked Chomper the obvious question.

"How much did you hear?"

Chomper responded truthfully.  "I heard you talk to your mother."

Littlefoot closed his eyes for a moment and then opened them, focusing again on the star.  "My mother died protecting me.  Did I ever tell you that?"  

Chomper shook his head.  Littlefoot had told him that his mother had died, but not the cause.

"The great sharptooth, Red Claw's son, killed her."  Chomper jerked back at that admission.  No wonder why Littlefoot wanted him killed. Chomper nodded at Littlefoot to continue.  "We traveled for many days to find the Great Valley.  Our families were gone, either separated from us or..."  Tears welled up in the brown fast biter's eyes once more.  "And he followed us the entire time."

He looked at Chomper directly with a steely look in his eyes.  "We had to be rid of him so we tricked him using Ducky as bait..."  Chomper was transfixed as Littlefoot described the plan in detail and how it was carried out.  It was chilling.  They had killed the terrible sharptooth with the ruthlessness and cunning that only sharpteeth were supposed to have.  Chomper had been mocked by some other sharpteeth as being a leaf-eater in disguise because of his gentle temperament, but his friends appeared to be sharpteeth in disguise based upon their story.  It seems that fate had simply removed the disguise...

"He was the same kind as you."  Littlefoot noted.  This made Chomper feel something curl in his stomach.  With Littlefoot's history with his kind why did he help Chomper as a hatchling?  Why didn't he trample him?  It made no sense to him.  Here was a longneck, er... former longneck, who was obviously capable of making hard choices.  Why did he not do the logical choice when Chomper was born and not simply dispose of a future threat?  Chomper was confused by this.

As if predicting the young sharptooth's question, Littlefoot began again.  "But you weren't a threat to us.  You were just a baby and I wouldn't hold you responsible for what others of your kind had done."  He smiled at Chomper as tears flowed from both of their faces.

"Even with the one that killed my mother..."  He restrained a growl in his throat.  "We only acted because he was a threat."

Chomper thought for a moment before responding.  "So you never hated sharpteeth?"

Littlefoot shook his head.  "I hated what they did, but I suppose that I knew they had no choice."  He paused for a moment.  Understanding the double meaning of the fact that Chomper asked that particular question, Littlefoot quickly added:  "Cera... Has a somewhat different view."

Chomper looked down.

"She lost her mother and all of her sisters to sharpteeth.  She doesn't hold you responsible for that, Chomper, you know that."  He paused for a moment to see that Chomper was nodding.  "But... She was always the most worried of us concerning your instincts."

Chomper looked at him with an understanding look.  Littlefoot did not need to tell him this as Chomper was quite aware of Cera's concerned (or sarcastic) statements whenever he was hungry.

"I thought that she was overcautious when I was still... a leaf-eater."  He admitted.  "But now that I am on the other side, I see the truth.  See was completely right.  We are dangerous."

Littlefoot continued.  "I think that is why she is so scared of the idea of hunting, Chomper.  She fears what she is becoming."  He paused for a moment.  "So do I."  He admitted reluctantly.  "If we take it... that far... where does it stop?"  His voice broke for a moment.  "How do we keep from losing ourselves?"

Littlefoot paused and looked down with a sad expression.  "How can I harm another?  How would I live with myself?"

Chomper could only nod in response as Littlefoot had obviously understood the situation far better than he had given him credit for.

"How did you keep under control in the valley, Chomper?"  Littlefoot suddenly asked with an awed expression.  "These thoughts... these feelings... They are enough to drive me mad."

Chomper gulped.  It seemed that things were a bit worse than Littlefoot's outward expression conveyed.  "I had plenty of food in the valley, Littlefoot.  That makes a difference."  He then added.  "Plus I have had years to learn control.  All of you haven't."

Littlefoot nodded.  "Perhaps it was a good thing we were forced to leave the valley then.  I would have hated to be responsible for someone's... end"

Silenced enveloped the scene for several moments.  Chomper had numerous conversations with Littlefoot in the past about many things, but this was by far the most intimate and enlightening of them.  It seemed as if the former longneck had decided that there was nothing left to hide.  Chomper then realized that this wasn't just a conversation; this was also a cry for help.  His poor friend had no idea what to do.  Chomper reflected for a moment.  Littlefoot was as helpless as a newborn sharptooth because, in a way, that was exactly what he was.  He had helped him after he hatched into the world, so Chomper resolved to help him in his time of need.

"What do we do now, Chomper?"  Littlefoot asked.  "My mother is silent."  At the little biter's confused expression, Littlefoot explained.  "My mother always told me to let my heart guide me and that I should listen to it because it whispers so softly."  He paused for a moment.  "But I don't know what it is telling me now."

Chomper thought for a moment and recalled Littlefoot's earlier words.

"Why did you go back to help Cera during your journey to the valley?"  Chomper asked rhetorically, thinking back to the story that Littlefoot had told him earlier.

"Because she was my friend, even if she wasn't acting like it."  Littlefoot answered.

"Why did you stop the great sharptooth, Red Claw's son?"  Chomper asked immediately after.

"Because he was threatening us."  He answered.

"Who are us?"  Chomper asked rhetorically.

"Well... Me and my friends."  He answered, not understanding this line of questioning.

"So the decisions that lead you to the valley involved helping your friends?"  Chomper inquired.  

Littlefoot nodded as comprehension was dawning on him.

"Well then, how do you help your friends now?"  Chomper asked Littlefoot while pointing at the brown fast biter's chest.

Littlefoot stopped for a moment and sucked in a deep breath.  He then answered in an exhausted voice.

"We have to... We have to hunt now, don't we?"

Chomper nodded and gave Littlefoot a sad smile.  “We can’t wait any longer, Littlefoot.  Some of us are already losing control.”

Littlefoot looked in the direction where Petrie had located the longneck herd earlier and sat silent for several moments.  Chomper did not know what to make of the fast biter’s reaction.  Surely he understood now?  They had no choice.

“How can I hunt my own kind, Chomper?”  It was asked softly.  Not in an accusatory tone or in the manner of a veiled rejection.  No, this was Littlefoot trying to wrap his head around something that no being should ever confront.  Littlefoot had known all too well in his short life what it was like to be the hunted.  What it was like to be chased to the brink of exhaustion and despair.  What it was like to lose loved ones.  What it was like to fear the dark and the shadows it might bring.  Knowing all of these things, how could he visit such horrors onto another longneck?  How could he willingly share such pain?  Intellectually he knew that he and the gang had only one option at this point, but emotionally it was a different story.

“I know that we have to, but...”  He paused.  “I don’t know if I can bring myself...”

He sucked in a shuddering breath and closed his eyes for a moment.  It was only after a few moments that he opened them and spoke.

“Will you help us, Chomper?”  The former longneck asked softly.  “I don’t think the others can do this alone... I know that I can’t.”

Chomper did not answer but instead embraced Littlefoot in a hug.  Both were in tears, but were in noticeably better shape than moments before.  Each had the relived expression of a person who had made a major decision in life.  The decision was now out of their hands, it was just up to them to make it a reality.  Littlefoot reflected that perhaps fate had planned this for a long time, as neither he nor any of the others would be alive right now if it wasn't for their friendship with Chomper.  A sharptooth being hatched by, and becoming friends with, leaf-eaters, what were the odds of that?  As he had pointed out, all of his good decisions were based upon protecting and nurturing his friends.  He would not change that now.  Never mind how distasteful the consequences may seem, his course of action was clear.  Tomorrow they would begin stalking the longneck herd.

"Thank you, Chomper."  Littlefoot graciously spoke.  "I needed that."

"That's what friends are for."  Chomper replied.

Littlefoot looked to the star once more with a much happier expression.  I guess mother wasn't silent at all.  I was just looking for her voice in the wrong place. He then spoke again to Chomper.

"I think my mother would have liked you, Chomper."  Littlefoot noted.  "You're one of the few dinosaurs that I know who were as caring as her."

Chomper didn't know what to say to that so he simply looked at Littlefoot with an overwhelmed expression.

Littlefoot smiled at the sharptooth before speaking again.  "Well we need to get back to sleep."  He then yawned.  "I don't know about you, but I will need rest if we are going to convince the others."  He paused for a moment.  "Especially Cera."

Chomper wearily nodded at Littlefoot's observation.  The two sharpteeth then headed back towards the sleeping area.  A very eventful day was surely ahead of them all.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Just to let everyone know, I have decided to change the fanfiction.net rating of my story from T to M after I post chapter 14.  So if you have been following this story at fanfiction.net as opposed to here, then you may need to change your filter to allow M rated stories to show up.  It limits the results from K to T by default.

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Interesting hearing about the rating change. I'm looking forward for to the next chapter, then, but I hope this doesn't mean to cut off too many from getting to read this story, as it's been great so far!

It's funny how Cera's been the biggest protestor in the group, not wanting to go down to the levels of sharpteeth, but she's the first one in line in the hunt! Haha!

That scene with Littlefoot just trying to talk to his mother was beautiful.

Yeah, they aren't gonna be able to do this by their selves. They'll need to all work together to be able to pull it off, even emotionally.

Also, is this a group of longnecks we already know? Like Bron's herd, or Old One's? I don't know, just have to wait and see. :DD
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Interesting hearing about the rating change. I'm looking forward for to the next chapter, then, but I hope this doesn't mean to cut off too many from getting to read this story, as it's been great so far!

That was my concern as well, but I am pretty sure that future events will push this story past the line for a T rated story.  I want to make sure that my story isn't removed on account of a terms of use violation.  Just to clarify, however, it will not be the next chapter that pushes it over the edge, it will be Chapter 14 when the rating change will happen.  :yes

It's funny how Cera's been the biggest protestor in the group, not wanting to go down to the levels of sharpteeth, but she's the first one in line in the hunt! Haha!

I am glad that you caught that.  :) There is definitely some cognitive dissonance going on within Cera's mind.  She is the most pragmatic in a way (and thus, should be the most able to do what is necessary) but at the same time she is the least willing to let go of her old self.  There will be some more elaboration on this in the next two chapters.  

Also, is this a group of longnecks we already know? Like Bron's herd, or Old One's? I don't know, just have to wait and see.

Indeed, we have to wait to see who is on the menu.  :DD

Thank you for the response.  I should have the next chapter posted in the next day or two.  :yes