The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Dance Dance Revolution on PC

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hey all!
I wanted to bring this rather amusing game to everyone's attention.  If you have ever seen the game Dance Dance Revolution before, this game should look Very familiar! :p   The title of the game is Stepmania.  It has been an ongoing project for many years (I downloaded it back when it was 3.0.  3.9 final is out now and 4.0 is available in beta form).  

Their site has a link to the game program, which is only 15 MB or so.  Songs can then be downloaded for the game by checking around the forums or asking me (ask nicely and I'll share :p).  The official DDR songs and steps (exactly the same as the arcade and console game series) were available last time I checked and thousands of custom songs and steps are freely available around the community through sites like http://www.bemanistyle.com

The controls for the game are whatever you want them to be: The arrow keys are the most obvious choice.  If you really want to get into it, you can buy actual floor-standing dance pad controllers such as These moderately cheap ones or these high-end ones which will basically survive an earthquake.  Even with the keyboard though, the game is free and can provide large amounts of amusement.  Iv'e become quite addicted to Stepmania for years. :P:

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I'm trying this one! :D  My sisters are experts on the DDR scens....200 combo things.

Oh yeah, they're dancers for real, competitions and all that so... :p

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Heh heh heh. :lol

Hey Petrie, did you get those latest songs running yet, that I sent you?  What do ya think of my song collection?  I know it's a little on the random side. :p

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Advice Column:
Play Controls tutorial:

Don't think there is only one "best" way to set up the controls and your hands.  Here are a few techniques I've heard of in the past:

One handed, using 3 fingers on the arrow keys (Left, Up/Down, Right)
One handed, using 4 fingers on the arrow keys (one on each arrow)
One handed on the number pad.

Two-handed on the arrow keys.  One index finger on each hand (representing the left and right legs)
Two-handed on the number pad.  One index finger on each hand
Two handed on the arrow keys.  Two fingers from each hand, one finger per arrow.
Two-handed on the number pad. Two fingers on each hand, one finger per arrow.

Two handed spread across the keyboard, assigning LEFT to A, DOWN to S, UP to K, and RIGHT to L.  Left middle finger on A, Left index finger on S, right index finger on K, right middle finger on L.

One-handed in the middle of the keyboard (F,G,H,J).
Two-handed in the middle of the keyboard (F,G,H,J).

There are probably others which I haven't heard of but I have seen All of these techniques for playing Stepmania on keyboard.  My personal preference is:

Two hands on the arrow keys. One index finger per hand, occasionally using a 2nd finger from one of the hands to reach a certain arrow easier.

Don't limit yourself to a single technique; try a few and get one that works for you.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Tim I found something else.  I went and installed this on an older machine to see if it could handle it, and I found that using a parallel port keyboard was a heck of a lot more accurate than any laptop keyboard.  My c's and d's went to a's and b's. :D  Looks like if I want to keep using this with my laptop I'll have to get one of those usb number pads.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I have a bit more of an advanced tip for you too, which may help your grades:
Fine-tuning the synch of the arrows to the music

F11 and F12 keys control the "Offset" of the arrows to the music.  
Pressing F11 "Pushes" the arrows back by 20 ms
Pressing F12 "Pulls" the arrows Forward by 20 ms.

If you hold ALT while pressing F11 or F12, you can adjust in 1ms increments.  

These techniques can be used while playing a song.  When the song is over (or failed) you can save the new timings.  I tend to do this with any new song before I play it for real.  This is because synching is based on the hardware of the computer (CPU, sound card, video card, keyboard latency, etc. etc. etc).  Not every song will be properly offset for every computer.  By default, the "Perfect" window timing is 45 ms (Edit the Stepmania.ini file to change the timings as desired).  A descrepancy between when you hit the key and when your computer thinks you hit the key can cost you points.  A descrepancy between where the computer generates the music and when you hear the music can cost you points, if you haven't tweaked the timing for your computer.  Tweak the timing until your keypresses are RIGHT on the beat and you are getting PERFECTs consistantly.  Feel free to turn on "Marvelous" timing to make your synchronizing even tighter.

Be careful NOT to save your new timings if you break something!  it will be an interesting challenge to get the timings back to being playable if you're not used to synching songs.
Play with it and see if you can improve your grades on the laptop too! B)

By the way, the arcade machines use a Perfect timing of only 33.3 ms (at least they did a couple of years ago now; this may have changed, I don't know).  If you want your Stepmania to be arcade-tough, edit the data/stepmania.ini file and change

JudgeWindowSecondsPerfect=0.0333

By default I think it's
JudgeWindowSecondsPerfect=0.045000
I set my game's to
JudgeWindowSecondsPerfect=0.036500
(36.5 ms)
It's tougher than Stepmania's default but it's not too tough.  I'm used to having a lot of people of different skill levels playing my Stepmania game, from back when I had the floor dance pads, and I just never changed the timings since.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I had a little free time before work last night, so I made a few videos of myself playing Stepmania. :lol
(You may have to right click and say "save target as...")

Pokemon: 2.B.A. Master - Double Trouble (8.5 Difficulty) (Challenge steps: These are part of an update which I havent' sent you, Adam. Let me know if you want them)

Sonata Arctica - Revontulet (10 difficulty)

The Legend of Max (10 difficulty)

Cross Time (approx. 12 difficulty).  This song gets out of synch at the end so my score starts to fall really fast :p

Gaussian Blur (insanely hard! (maybe 14)  Download this if you're tired of me showing off :p)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Wow.  I'm getting 22kbps.  It's gonna take 15 minutes!  I hope it's good!

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Wow. I'm getting 22kbps.
My server, my bandwidth, my transfer rate :p :lol

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
I want to see how you do with Double Trouble. :D

Actually, you need to show me how you do to that Remember the Magic music clip I sent you.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
you need to show me how you do to that Remember the Magic music clip I sent you.
I'll make one for that song right away! B)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Here we are, just for Petrie :P: (anyone, feel free to download this, of course LOL)
Disney - Remember the Magic (Difficulty 7)
It can be done. B)
(oh heh, ignore the dog barking in the background :p My neighbour's dog loves to yap aall day LOL)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
I officially cannot say what I said on this board when I watched those videos.  :lol  :lol  You obviously have way too much time on your hands to nail a 460 step combo.  :DD

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, it looks like this was fun for you, but it isn't my cup of tea. :p

Why were your video's so blurry?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Why were your video's so blurry?
I took the videos with a digital camera in "movie mode".  My camera doesn't take the best videos; it's the best I could do.

I officially cannot say what I said on this board when I watched those videos. You obviously have way too much time on your hands to nail a 460 step combo.
HAD: way too much time on my hands.  I basically lived off this game in high school :lol .  I don't play near as much now but it's like riding a bike; you don't forget how to mash arrow keys :lol:  B)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
My camera doesn't take the best videos; it's the best I could do.

LOL.  I suppose that would explain it.  I have a camcorder, but I'm too lazy to get it out.  My 20 megapixil camera takes better videos anyway.  The videos I have posted have been made by my camera too. :)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I officially cannot say what I said on this board when I watched those videos. You obviously have way too much time on your hands to nail a 460 step combo.
You haven't seen my 10,000 combo on Extravadance Megamix LOL! :D  :p
I'm not a nerd, really! :lol:  :lol

Actually, while I'm "good" I'm not "really good" by any means.  I've seen videos of player who can get perfect scores (AAA) on songs that I can barely pass, or maybe even fail.  I know Gaussian Blur (the song I died on above) has been AAA'd more than once.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile